lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

will a new 6spd out of the comodores fit in a hatch without cutting the tunnel at all.

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

i'll take a guess....no.

perhaps if you heat it up with an oxy and bash the bguck out of it....cutting would be neater.

#3 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

No chance, have you seen the length of a 6 speed, you need to cut about 8" out for a T5, for a T56 you will have to cut about 1 foot out, trial fit it, I bet it doesnt fit to well with the floor in place.

#4 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

what box can be used without hacking into the car.

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:30 PM

motorbike 6 speed might fit....

get my point?

#6 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:36 AM

what 5speed box, I meant. Or they don't fit either?

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:37 AM

what 5speed box, I meant. Or they don't fit either?

T5 requires the tunnel to fit as well. T56 forget about it without a fair amount of chopping and remodding.
Most US 4 speeds require cutting & massaging on LH side for linkages.
Aussie 4 speed fits fine.
Getrag 5 speed fits with a fair amount of chopping.

Trimatic fits fine.
TH350/400 is a super tight fitment without touching the tunnel.
Powerglide fits fine.

You might want to try a Richmond 5 speed?

#8 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

What about the celica/supra boxes? As far as i know they fit without hacking it up.

#9 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

What about the celica/supra boxes? As far as i know they fit without hacking it up.

I knew I forgot something, yep celica/supra seems to fit, there a decent box for a mild motor, cheap and plentiful.

#10 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

The R154 supra boxes also fit with no tunnel mods.

#11 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

The R154 supra boxes also fit with no tunnel mods.

have one behind a 202. Has had the floor in gtr cut it fit [maybe because hole to oneside of tunnel]. Will a getrag fit, no cutting. I can buy a getrag for $1250 brand new. Are they any good. I want a good gearbox. I would rather pay $3000 now, then buy shit that breaks. Have a M21 and it's in good nick and would like to keep it like that.

#12 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

Since we are in the LH/LX/UC section, I assumed that is what the Q' was....it is good to know they don't fit the LC/J's though.

M@

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

Getrags are a nice g/box but if you break one its cheaper to buy a new one & they take up as much room as a 6 speed.If you are going for a lot of power or want to drive it hard a getrag is the wrong box to use.

#14 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

What would be your pick guys for a circuit raced car ( not compedetive mostly fun) . Hillclimbs/super sprints, just a bit of fun.

I'm curious as my plans for our SLR include:
A fairly stout 253 ( possibly a simple motor with a centrifugal blower... or a pretty hot N/A motor),

Manual gearbox: For circuit work, nothing less than a 5 speed. I dont want to hack the tunnel though! Supra 5 speed... Will it handle the power?

Diff: Not sure. Want to steer clear of a 9", would like to go with a BW diff or something tough to handle the circuit work.

What do you guys think? I want to leave the car as standard as possible, i dont want to chop it up, i dont want to drill extra holes, i want to give it a good suspension setup, big brakes and a stock exterior and interior ( as far as possible).

Thanks!

#15 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Tremec 5 speed will fit without hacking the tunnel. Have to use a Mal Wood bellhousing, and send the tremec's input shaft to him to have it shortened slightly. ALso requires a non raised finger pressure plate.

This is what i'm doing, hope it helps.

Dave

#16 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

Tremec 5 speed will fit without hacking the tunnel. Have to use a Mal Wood bellhousing, and send the tremec's input shaft to him to have it shortened slightly. ALso requires a non raised finger pressure plate.

This is what i'm doing, hope it helps.

Dave

how many thousands?

Tiny, I don't know, but it will be good. I'm going to leave it standard with stripes and a good drive line, the huge brakes off my mate VZ when he trades it. Just looking stock and go like shit and don't break, a good sunday car. I want to keep building my lc 2dr 308. But If I have to rush it to finsh for reg, f@#k it. I'm not going to finsh it and put a six in it. Rather not have a car. Want a box that not break that fit's.

#17 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

Tremec TKO ~$4500 (old price now, have to check)
Bellhousing $395
Fork to suit $165
Modify input shaft and retainer $120
Clutch, depending how serious you go, $500+ (mine's about $700, cushioned ceramic)

Sounds a bit rich, but if you want it to last, better off doing it right the first time, rather than 3 times. Could be worse, could be having to blow $30K+ on your driveline like supercar guys!!

Then you'll want to run a UC cable clutch pedal, and either UC cable or commodore cable. Suggest putting a heat sleeve over the cable to prevent the inner cabel from expanding when sitting and preventing the clutch from disengaging properly.

If on a budget, can't go past a Toploader, and just give up a little in the diff gears by going taller to compensate for top end.

Edited by 355LX, 11 January 2006 - 11:34 PM.

#18 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

355LX: You speak wise words sir!... Top loader...an option i never really thought of! As i know nothing about manuals, would a loader be a good choice of box? I'm aware that theyre 4 speed, but can you combine them with a good diff ratio to give you good all round performance? ( acceleration AND top end?)

#19 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

The gearbox man I know loves the top loader. I thought about one, but i would like a 5th gear. Might have to find cash and buy a Tremec TKO or a new gearbox for the workvan.

#20 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

The supra box would be my choice.

The Commodore cup racers used them.

Supra
Weight 1500kg
3 litre twin cam multivalve turbo with good power and torque with extra boost.

#21 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

Baron: ive heard that the supra boxes wont cop a great deal of torque... torque is what our V8s put out in bucket loads and shock the driveline because the torque is there from idle ( so to speak).

THe turboed cars have a more progressive torque curve and the torque doesnt HIT as hard as when you side-step the clutch in a V8.

THats my only concern about the supra boxes! BUT for my application.. the concerns may be unwarranted!

Cheers

#22 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:30 PM

Tiny
I have installed about 10 supra boxes into 308 Hq's Xd351's and they are all still going today after many years and the owners have had no problems.I have run mine behind a injected 265 hemi and it still feels the same after 12 years as it did when new.I would say it is 3x stronger than any gearbox holden made.

I have a friend who drifts a supra running 20 psi boost and he has blown head gaskets galore and diffs yet never had gearbox trouble.Torque increases with boost.Power is basically torque X rpm (radians per second).

The supra box is good in a street car and if you have a serious drag car it would be an auto

#23 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:36 AM

Tiny in answer to your question re: the top loader. I ran 3.00:1 diff gears with 265/60r14's on the back, had great acceleration, would quickly go off the clock back around to about 5 to 10km/h, (was watching road but it was around there somewhere!!), and would smoke the tires off the line with not objection at all if asked.

Top Loader is a no brainer for circuit work on a budget, with a decent shifter being a priority, as the factory ones are total shite!!

Dave

#24 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:08 AM

Baron: Thanks for the info mate! I'm not too concerned about drag racing on the supra box, that's not what the car is designed for... and i do agree that torque increased with boost. The thing in a turbo car is is rarely has lot of boost from a standing start when you';d be dropping the clutch thus shocking the gearbox with maximum static load ( car at a standstill) and heaps of torque.

Anyway, that does make me feel alot better about using a supra box.. i'd REALLY like 5 gears if i could!

Dave: Thats good to know mate! The loader isnt something i thought about cause i really wanted 5 cogs, but depending on the costs involved with the oter options it could be still in consideration!

Thanks guys!

#25 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

Tiny
I have installed about 10 supra boxes into 308 Hq's Xd351's and they are all still going today after many years and the owners have had no problems.I have run mine behind a injected 265 hemi and it still feels the same after 12 years as it did when new.I would say it is 3x stronger than any gearbox holden made.

I have a friend who drifts a supra running 20 psi boost and he has blown head gaskets galore and diffs yet never had gearbox trouble.Torque increases with boost.Power is basically torque X rpm (radians per second).

The supra box is good in a street car and if you have a serious drag car it would be an auto

Which supra box? as there are a few different models im assuming, like turbo and non turbo, and how much approx second hand and or new??
I have heard the Nissan 350Z boxes are pretty good but dont know how good or cost. They come as a six speed, any idea on the 350Z boxes guys??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users