New 100RON Street Legal Fuel.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 _simc_

_simc_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:00 PM

Hey guys,

Has anyone out there run the new fuel brought out by Shell?
What do you think of it, better performance?

I found a site with all the info for it www.100octane.com.au

Reviews?

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

Yeah i have tried it, ran it in my car for a few weeks, didnt seem to have any problems with it, drove well, but i dont notice a difference in fuel at all, whateva one i use!

#3 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

Is that the one with the 10% Ethanol mix?

#4 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

It's 5% ethanol. I'm keen to give it a go in the old Mazda, see what it's like.

#5 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

I ran the LX really low last night and filled her up with the 100 octane shell stuff.

By the arse of the pants test, it feels and sounds a teeny weeny bit better and also a bit crisper at part throttle too.

Hard to say really objectively without doing back to back runs at the drags but even then the difference would be within the repeatability of how consistant I can run down the 1/4 with the manual shift anyway so who really knows.

M@

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

In theory, this fuel should be as good as BP100 or any other 100 octane fuel. Or will it? And is there much price difference between 100 octane fuels? And what is the shelf life of the stuff?

#7 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

you cant just randomly swap fuels and think your gonna see a power gain.
you have to tune for it.
im sure you could massively increase timing if you were going to use nothing but the 100 octane fuel.
but then your in trouble if you cant get the stuff.

once this fuel becomes more available you will see higher compression engines become the norm aswell as 30psi + boost on turbo engines

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

Mine will compensate nicely if there is any pinging going on and at the moment I am running a pretty agressive timing setting (probably slightly too agressive) for a stock engine on the 98 octane stuff so I reckon I would immediately benefit from a higher octane.
Sometimes I think of putting the standard ecu calibration back in as it was tuned slightly better for the hot summers in brissy.

As soon as I drove out of the servo with the 100 juice I could feel the engine tune itself up for a minute or so, so there must be a significant difference in the optimum tune between the different octane fuels.

Power gain is not the only thing to be gained from higher octane juice - I really appreciate the improved responsiveness and driveability too.

Availability is pretty thin in brissy - I had to drive about 20 minutes to get some.

#9 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

one thing ive noticed with it is better fuel economy.. i can drive my 202 with triple sus for a week and still have 1/4 of a tank left, and i dont baby it either.

in brisbane i know of 2 places so far, the shell on sandgate rd, and the one on coronation drive. i think its only available at coles expresses.

A1

#10 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

I run 98 BP in the race car with Nulon Booster to get 100 octane so we will tune it to that, If this stuff is flat 100 I am in, the only question mark is the 5% Ethanol which worries me.
R

#11 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

As long as you don't leave it sitting in the system you will be fine with the ethanol.
If the car sits around, then the Eth may start to eat/deteriorate some of the rubber and card components.
Check any seals and gaskets you can.

Grant..

#12 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

I got it from the shell @ garden city shopping centre - macgregor.

#13 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

I didn't think that Shell would have carried it, if anything I thought the big one at Coorparoo would have but they don't, hopefully they start soon.

Hey ToranaMat, which part of Brisbane are you from?

#14 _a9xhatchback_

_a9xhatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:46 PM

Economy would be worse than non-ethanol mixture (shell 100) as ethanol is harder to burn. My wife works at a refinery & I asked the chief chemist there once about the shell 100.....I think the Caltex Vortex 98 is a better option as rated at 98 ron & its tested at 99-100ron octane & is of non ethanol mixture. It will be released here in QLD in the near future & is being sold down south at present.

#15 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

Street Machine, had a write up 6mth ago about this stuff. You all should read it.

#16 _simc_

_simc_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:03 AM

Good to see so many positive results from the new fuel. Im keen to get my hands on it now.

lakeside, what did street machine say about it. A good review?
Do you happen to know what month/edition the write-up was in?

#17 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

Half the Caltex's in brissy already have the 98 stuff and I like that stuff too.

M@

#18 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

I can't remember an article on Shell 100 ron but there was one back in October I think on a 10% eth 100ron fuel they were testing over in SA, from United I think, was special because it had a high oxygen figure. They did back to back dyno tests on an LS2 and it lifted it by about 20rwhp and like 40rwhp when they tapped into the computer. Only a one page little info section, nothing special.

As for me, I don't really trust the 100 ron yet and am waiting a bit to see which way it falls.

Peace,

#19 _simc_

_simc_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

I can't remember an article on Shell 100 ron but there was one back in October I think on a 10% eth 100ron fuel they were testing over in SA, from United I think,  was special because it had a high oxygen figure.  They did back to back dyno tests on an LS2 and it lifted it by about 20rwhp and like 40rwhp when they tapped into the computer.  Only a one page little info section, nothing special.

As for me, I don't really trust the 100 ron yet and am waiting a bit to see which way it falls.

Peace,

Far out, 40rwhp, thats real nice. I have had a good readup of the 100octane site, im pretty confident with what shell have said.

Edited by simc, 30 January 2006 - 07:19 PM.

#20 _jono_

_jono_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

just dont forget.... a parent doesnt admit they have a ugly new borne

haha on a happier note..it has taken me 7 and a half months but my mum now runs premium in her car to compensate for the poor tuning which is causing pinging

#21 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

I was running regular in my liberty for afew weeks when i got it, but noticed a huge diff with premium. ATM i wanna step upto 98 see how it goes but if i see 100 ill give it a try. Im going for service and tune up on saturday so will try fill the tank up then so they work with the fuel i'll use. But plenty more bottom end torque with premium over regular but it slugs off at higher revs sometimes, and it runs rich as hell so if economy is good with 100 ill deffinately give it a go.

#22 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

In theory, this fuel should be as good as BP100 or any other 100 octane fuel. Or will it?

I know that BP, Mobil and Shell petrol tanker trucks all share refineries when they top up. The companies keep tabs to see who owes each other what. It makes sense not to drive all the way to the other side of town when there is a refinery nearby.

I don't know if they fill up with any special criteria other than RON, so when you see a Shell petrol tanker driving down the road it doesn't mean it is carrying petrol from the Shell refinery and same goes with the other company petrol tankers respectively.

Shell call the 100 octane stuff Optimax Extreme

www.shell.com.au/extreme

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 01 February 2006 - 10:38 AM.

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:33 PM

In Melbourne there are only two refineries. Mobil and Shell.

#24 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:48 AM

In Melbourne there are only two refineries. Mobil and Shell.

I know of the Shell one in Geelong. I thought the Mobil one was bought out, maybe part of it was sold.

In Sydney we have Shell and Mobil and the Caltex one at Kurnell is larger than the Shell refinery here.

s

#25 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

Someone said something about octane booster?

I have a magazine somewhere here that did a test on about 10 or so octane boosters. cant remember which magazine but... so most of what im saying is off memory, someone here would have read it!!

The results were that about 8 of them actually DECREASED the octane by about 1 or 2 points. and the couple that did increase octane, it was only by about 0.5 of a point anyway.

It might be worth reasearching them a bit better before tuning your car to run with it. you could be tuning your car to run on 2 points lower octane...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users