Corvette BB 454 Coming From L.A.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

Here are some pics of my new toy. It's 'on the water' coming from L.A. and should land in Brissy mid-June. It's a '75 Stingray, with a solid 454 BB. Comes with over $30K USD in receipts; just about every moving part has been replaced or reconditioned. It was built by an automotive engineer who works on Nascars over there. Here are some details:

Engine: .030 over 454 steel crank, TRW forged pistons, Fluid Damper full roller Comp Cams valve train, over size valves, torker manifold, Demon 750 carb. MSD distributor and wires. Dynoed @ 510 ft lbs of torque.

Other: TH400 rebuilt with shift kit and TCI converter. Griffin alum radiator new fan and clutch. New Alt. alum. water pump, Holley fuel pump, starter, rebuilt PS pump. Jet Hot coated Hooker headers. New 2.5" dual exhaust. Rebuilt rearend with 3.36 gears. New half shafts, all 4 wheel bearings. New master cyl with chrome booster. Rebuilt calipers with stainless sleeves and lines. New carpet, upholstery and door panels with all hardware and trim. New weatherstrip. Leather steering wheel. New shift console NOS park brake console. New wiring harnesses front, rear, and dash. Eagle Alloys wheels and new BFG tires. Front and rear bumpers TRU-FLEX "flexiglass".

I've actually bought the car to re-sell, so this will come up for sale once it has landed in Brissy (end of June). I'm importing a few cars to sell, to finance something very special for myself in the near future.

Cheers

Mark

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

I love these cars. One of my favourite vettes.
Very very nice.
Good luck with everything. Don't forget to enjoy it while you have it!

Mitch

#3 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:15 PM

Holy god damn

#4 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

Damn thats a sleek car. Love the colour too

#5 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

Oh Dear!...I feel my domination of Morgan Park might have just got harder!??? :cry:
R

#6 _sik208_

_sik208_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:44 AM

oh oh i think i just made a woopsie in my pants that is beautiful have many fun times with that toy

SIK208

#7 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:14 AM

'vettes are definitely my favourite yank car... Love it.

Tim

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

Getting traction should be fun! :spoton:

#9 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

If you come across a cheap '63 split-window Vette let me know :)

#10 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

My mrs' dad has a '68 Stingray, very sexy cars!!

#11 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

nice car, should go well, not sure about the wheels but.

#12 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

That looks awesome. :spoton: :rockon: Nice pickup man.

Steve

#13 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

I've actually bought the car to re-sell, so this will come up for sale once it has landed in Brissy (end of June). I'm importing a few cars to sell, to finance something very special for myself in the near future.

Hmmmm, so what else is coming over and psssssssssssssst how much ???

#14 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hmmmm, so what else is coming over and psssssssssssssst how much ???

It really depends what I happen to come across. It's a strange market in the U.S. at the moment (or has been for a while). Some cars in the states are actually dearer over there than here; so some models would be worth shipping back!

I have a relative over there who is my contact, otherwise it would be very difficult to buy anything without seeing. I'm planning to ship in whatever happens to be a good buy. I will only go after a specific make and model, when I bring my own car eventually (if that makes sense). In other words, I'm buying and shipping with my head and not my heart at the moment, although this first one is also all 'heart' for me, since I absolutely love it :spoton:

Cheers

Mark

#15 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

Mark, good stuff, what's the actual shipping cost component from door to door ? I had someone on here a while ago say it was cheaper to ship a car from US to Oz, than from NZ, curious to know what you are paying including all taxes, duties etc. ? (dont care how much the car itself cost )

I always thought about shipping in Porsche's, ferrari's etc from GB, and making a killing, but thought twice after the luxury car tax, and pre 1989 rule.... also thought that if there was that much to be made, surely every man and his dog would be doing it...... then again maybe most men dont have a hundred k to splash around..???? thanks,
Adam

Edited by skapinad, 16 May 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

Mark, I am in the market for a good solid 69/70 Mustang Fastback..mechanicals not needed, if you find one. (Yes..Project 3!!)
R

#17 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

I always thought about shipping in Porsche's, ferrari's etc from GB, and making a killing, but thought twice after the luxury car tax, and pre 1989 rule....

Plus the fact that all UK roads are laced with salt in the winter...most are rust buckets I found out.
R

#18 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

^^^ didnt realise that... but f'n fast and damn good looking rust buckets !!

#19 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

Mark, good stuff, what's the actual shipping cost component from door to door ? I had someone on here a while ago say it was cheaper to ship a car from US to Oz, than from NZ, curious to know what you are paying including all taxes, duties etc. ? (dont care how much the car itself cost )

I always thought about shipping in Porsche's, ferrari's etc from GB, and making a killing, but thought twice after the luxury car tax, and pre 1989 rule.... also thought that if there was that much to be made, surely every man and his dog would be doing it...... then again maybe most men dont have a hundred k to splash around..????  thanks,
Adam

The cost for shipping depends on the size of the car. It ranges from around $3000 to around $3500. Then there's transportation within U.S., which is from around $500 within a state, to around $1800 coast to coast. You also then pay G.S.T on the entire amount (including shipping).

The trick with importing is, you either need to fly over yourself to inspect a car or cars, or have someone really reliable who knows his cars over there (who you can really trust). Otherwise you'll be sending money to a person whom you have never met, for a car you have never seen. Risky!

Cheers

Mark

#20 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

Mark, I am in the market for a good solid 69/70 Mustang Fastback..mechanicals not needed, if you find one. (Yes..Project 3!!)
R

No worries, Rory. I'll keep an eye out, but the Mustang fastbacks (especially 69/70) have gone through the roof over there. With stangs, the issue is rust. Unless you find a 'desert' Arizona car or similar, most of them have had shonky work and end up being expensive to fix.

Actually, I didn't want to admit it on this forum, but the car I want to import for myself, is a big block fastback Stang. :rockon:

Cheers

Mark

#21 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

The only Ford I would own.
R

#22 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Sweet pickup ! :clap:

I love the look of those stingrays.

#23 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

thats one sweet ride. have you had any problem getting new compliance plates etc to make it road legal for oz roads? only reason is im currently thinking bout importing a car from japan, a daily driver. (before anyone says anything its not ricer crap). i looked at maybe getting an agent to do everything and maybe just pay him

Edited by dickiep, 17 May 2008 - 03:04 PM.

#24 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

would love this in my garage.. and with the exchange rate......

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#25 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

thats one sweet ride. have you had any problem getting new compliance plates etc to make it road legal for oz roads? only reason is im currently thinking bout importing a car from japan, a daily driver. (before anyone says anything its not ricer crap). i looked at maybe getting an agent to do everything and maybe just pay him

The car's still on the water, so compliancing hasn't been done yet. With over 30 year old cars, the compliancing is very straight forward. It can be registered as LHD in all states and territories.

For compliancing there are things like seatbelts to be changed, headlights (since they dip the wrong way) etc. But all fairly minor.

Currently you cannot import anything to Australia post-1989 model, if it's not registered under SEVS. And SEVS is limited to cars that weren't brought into Australia originally by the manufacturer. Therefore, you cannot bring in WRXs for example, but you can bring in Supras and other 'ricers' that weren't originally sold here when new.

Pre-1989, you can bring in whatever you like, as long as it's RHD (except for W.A and N.T, where you can also register LHD cars that are pre-1989). But as I said above, you can register a LHD car in any state if it's over 30-years-old.

I've bought in a Mercedes Benz once from Japan and went through Prestige Motorsport. Geoff at PM is excellent and it was really hassle free. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again, if I was going to bring something from Japan.

Cheers

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users