torana 304 air intake advice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

hey guys some of you may know i have a injected 304 in my UC hatch it goes great however I'm a little concerned that the pod filter i have is too close to the motor... also being a pod filter it is very loud as u can hear the valve on the throttle body hissing! heres what ive got set up atm!

Posted Image

ive been toying with the idea of hacking up a air box left over from dads VZ SS ute and making up something with that in hope it will quieten it up a bit! but what i want to know is how can i still get good air flow like the pod filter would provide?

I know a fair few of you have done this conversion so im keen to see what you have done!

Cheers Ben

#2 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have been told by several different people that you will actually have more power from a standard airbox than you would from a pod filter

you can get cold air intake kits for the commodores that have a wider opening than standard, mabey you can adapt one of those to suit the torana somehow, otherwise build a box that will seperate the intake air from the hot air around the engine and have the pod filter in there

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Not quite the same set up but you get the idea
Posted Image

#4 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Not quite the same set up but you get the idea
Posted Image

hey mate is this set up in your car? if so... looks great! whats it like performance wise? where did u get it made? and when u turn the car off does it let out a real loud hissing noise?

Ben

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Its GMH355's car, stroker-supercharged 308, real good performance, most of the stuff he made himself. Top effort and one of the best engineered bays ive seen. A credit to him :spoton:

Edited by ALX76, 14 August 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#6 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

a very nice set up at that may PM him if he doesn't see this!..

so people any other ideas? and easy way to make a box fit and flow better?

Ben

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Just fit the box and as i did with my VL, cut a hole in the bottom and plumbed it out with a spare connector and hose.
More avliable air to such a large filter and still stock looking from the bay.

#8 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

yeah sounds like the go! will probably hook something up! i was just mainly interested in the differences! looks like the pod filter will be given the flick!

#9 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hi
Ben i used a standard V6 air box and chopped the bottom out of it and its mounted on the passengers rail above crossmeber mounts as pod filters (I was going to have one) in nsw are illegal unless boxed in so im also looking at some beter options.
I had a pod filter on my V8 ute when i bought it but gave it the flick as it sucked in heaps of engine bay heat and was very noisy. It was replaced with a Vs hsv cold air box which reduced engine temp, i would like the same setup in my torana but might wait til i respay it.
Chears Neil

#10 _mr.jones_

_mr.jones_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hi I had an inj 304 in an HZ Kingswood and after relocating the battery to the drivers side fitted a VN airbox and cut a hole in the radiator support just next to where the aircon hoses usually go and poked the standard snorkel through the hole so it was sucking air from the edge of the grille. Bit of stuffing around but worked a treat. Fitting the same engine to my Monaro and have to go through setting it up again.

Cheers Leroy

#11 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

thats for all the replies guys i think i have a bit of an idea of what i'm going to do! thanks heaps its much appreciated!

Ben

#12 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

I know this is a bit of a thread hi-jack but where is the supercharger in that yellow engine bay?

#13 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

I know this is a bit of a thread hi-jack but where is the supercharger in that yellow engine bay?

#14 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

Where a blower belongs: Between the heads :spoton:

Look at the yellow engine bay compared to Ben's at the top...

Tim

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

LOL Rim, between the heads hahaha

Posted Image

#16 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

It's not yellow either.

And DON'T ask me where the stroker is.

#17 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Lol tim between the heads. Did you look at the pic? Thats a come twin throttle manifold not a blower.

cheers for that alx, i might pm him to get some info as thats what i want for mine.

#18 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

Sorry, mental blank. I was just going off what I remember seeing some pics ages ago, I can't see the pic from here. I just remember that it had a pretty groovy looking induction set up... :spoton:

Wow. Now I look like a dickhead :P

Tim

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

mmmmmmm Procharger!!!! NICEEEEE!!!!!

#20 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:18 PM

Hi
Giving me bad ideas mmmm... wife would not be impresed.
Chears Neil

#21 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Wow. Now I look like a dickhead :P

Tim

Yep! :P

i know how you feel Neil everything is so tempting! but when would you ever use that much power on the street? i find it hard to put my foot down at..

anyhow! will be looking to create my own airbox set up still using the pod filter! will let all you thread hijackers know how i go :P

Ben

#22 _GMH355_

_GMH355_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Casually checking new posts and stumble upon this. Gee Terry, I didn't realise you took some close up photos. No worries RIM, you are not the first person to look at the intake manifold thinking its the supercharger :D .

UNVSM8 when the engine first went in around 6 years ago it had the stock intake manifold. The previous owner had cut up the engine bay and the holes in the radiator support panel for the air con hoses had been elongated. I tidied up this hole and used it to feed air into the standard holden filter box. With a free flowing dual 2.5" exhaust and this improved cold air intake the engine went quite well for a stocker and after a tune made 171kW at the wheels.

Posted Image

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

Gee Terry, I didn't realise you took some close up photos.

I've even got vid. You should watch more closely when peops are hanging around lol.
I've got a few if you need them pm me ur email addy.

#24 _GMH355_

_GMH355_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

I've even got vid. You should watch more closely when peops are hanging around lol.
I've got a few if you need them pm me ur email addy.

:D Haha, that's ok mate, it all depends on who it is, I have no worries with any members of the GMH-Torana crew having a closer look.

#25 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,077 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

Alright, can see the pics now :spoton:

Man, what a trick setup. Five thumbs up from me mate. :spoton::spoton::spoton::spoton::spoton: Looks like a relatively stock setup from the top. What type of power is that making?

Tim

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users