lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Well it�s about time I started a thread on my SS hatchback which was a 1 owner car prior to my purchase in late May 2008.

For the full story on how it came about and a lot of details, click on the link below when it was discussed on the forum. I�ll also summarise it as well.

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=27448

Short Story.

My SS has lived in Newcastle (NSW) until May 2008. It was a 1 owner SS, L31, M21 etc painted in Ilford yellow which was a special rep�s order which makes it a little bit different. Very similar to Jasmine Yellow. The previous owner loved this car and stamped his personal touch on it. Came with receipts, documentation and photo's from original purchase.

First rebuild in late 1980�s when he replaced the original 308 with a highly modified 308, top loader, 9 inch diff etc. It went thought a major rebuild and was stripped to bare metal and repainted in metallic grey. He added flares, body kit, sunroof, gold 12 slotters and a new red and black interior.

Rebuild number 2 commenced in 1998 and into 1999 where the car was taken off the road again and had a bucket load of money poured into it. Hand built 383 chev motor, tremec 5 speed, rebuilt 9 inch, tail shaft, HQ front brakes. And that�s where it stopped.

After spending about $50,000.00 in two rebuilds the car has been off the road since 1999 and has travelled only 120,000 klms documented with log book and yearly inspection reports. The car has always been registered as he always wanted to finish the car but time, lack of money and his health got away from him.

Present condition.
A highly modified car that doesn�t go and a long way from finished.

I know what a lot of you are thinking, he wrecked a good car but that�s what a lot of people did in the 1980�s. They modified their cars and they were worth more than original cars.

How times have changed.

It still needs major work including new rear brakes & brake lines & handbrake etc, new rear axles, full rewire, retrim, repaint, wheels & tyres etc, etc. Basically a full rebuild.

My Plans.

I�ve never taken on an unfinished project as they can be difficult to complete due to poor workmanship, missing parts etc as most of you would know. Anyway, I�m going to have a go and do it in two stages. When finished, have some fun with my car and take it to Toranafest 2009. This is what I am planning to do:

1 Stage - put the car back together and get it going. Sort out the problems of a modified car and make it reliable. Need to buy a few more parts but they are on the way or will be bought. Hopefully have it back on the road in December 2008.

2nd Stage � take the car off the road in February/March 2009 for rebuild No. 3. Retrim the interior back to original, repaint the car back to its original colour (Ilford yellow). Leaving the driveline modified as too much money has been spent on it and I want to have some fun.

Here�s some photo�s to look at and some of the work I have just completed. Will update this thread when things happen.

Regards,

Mick.

Original condition before rebuild no. 1 in 1988. Dealer added stripes and globes as per documents.
Posted Image

Present condition. - damage to front due to no brakes and no shifter to put into gear
Posted Image

Interior (yuck)
Posted Image

Motor (383 chev) Supposed to be putting out over 500hp up front.
Posted Image

Rear axle before (no rear brakes)
Posted Image

Rear axle after - 28 spline mosser axles with VK rear calipers and slotted DBA rotors. Have only done the drivers side as the passenger side axle was cut too short and doesn't engage the diff centre. Still waiting for the other axle.
Posted Image

New shifter fitted today 31/10/08 to tremec 5 speed. Built to handle over 700hp (allegedly) I can finally select gears.
Posted Image

New wheels. I have refurbished these GTS wheels for my SS. 15 x 8 for the front and 15 x 10 for the rear. Was a tough decision which way to go - old school or modern? Even have a GTS wheel for a spare thanks to a forum member.
Posted Image

Rewiring and comparing. Started rewiring the SS today 31/10/08. Have hooked up the rear end, brake lights, indicators, number plate light, courtesy light and fuel sender unit back to the dash. Helps to have another SS to copy off.
Posted Image

Goal - this is what I'm aiming for. My hatch should look very similar to this one. Will be painted in Ilford yellow (acrylic) which is very similar to Jasmine Yellow.
Posted Image

Will keep you informed of my progress.

Thanks.

#2 _mowie_

_mowie_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

WOW......... How mucky you are to have two. Im very very jealous. Good luck finishing it. I'm sure it will be amazing when your finished. I love your white hatch. ANY ROOM IN THE WILL???
Tom

#3 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

Well done Mick,

Looks like lots of fun, enjoy bringing her back to life!

#4 _slydog71_

_slydog71_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

I love yellow torries especially 2 doors good luck with the hatch ... Jasmine yellow is a great looking colour on a torrie imo .

#5 _l31m21vd69_

_l31m21vd69_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

wow how lucky to have 2 toranas. im lucky to have just one. how did ya get onto that one.

#6 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Great project and progress Mick.

#7 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Nice pickup and good history aswell.. I also like the plans you have for it!

#8 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

The hatch has gone to a good home. It would be great if the previous owner was lucky enough to see it finished. I am looking forward to seeing the finished car. I have put Toranafest 2009 in my diary :spoton:

#9 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

great to see another one being brought back to life

#10 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

Mick, can I have the 253 when you no longer need it? :D

And that gauge panel once you pull it outta the dash!!

Grant..

#11 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

Wow, great project you have taken on.

#12 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the positive comments.

Plenty of work ahead but will be worth it.

Mowie - no room in the will, wife & kids will get everything (don't they always)
l31m21vd69 - a friend on the forum told me about this car and I had some luck being the first person
Toranavista - I plan on driving back to Newcastle to take the old owner for a spin and also let him drive it.
I'm sure it will bring a tear to his eye.
enderwigginau - keeping the 253 SS, that's my baby (1st car I've done up)

Mick.

Edited by lxsstorana, 01 November 2008 - 05:25 AM.

#13 blown308

blown308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:47 AM

Mick, I have been waiting for this thread to start..looks like the retirememt money is being well spent and you plenty to do in your "free" time.. Great to see this car in the hands of "true" torana man.... please keep us posted and would love to see the car on the road... maybe even at the proposed drag night the forum guys are organising.. Wayne

#14 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

looking good there mick, those wheels will look the part for sure.

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:35 AM

Great stuff mate! Your Not a real man until you have TWO Hatchbacks!

That chev sitting in the engine bay looks TOUGH as!

#16 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

awesome.as above very lucky to have 2 hatches :clap: ,but i with a 383 chev,wow :spoton: .when do u plan to have it finished by?.what brakes are on the front ?.guessing u need decent ones to stop 500 horses.im totaly blown away,by the amount of hatches on the forum :rockon:

#17 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

I remember when Mick first turned up at the STC with a white hatch he was going to restore.
You loved it then and did such a great job, so no doubt this will be even better. Think of everything you've learned since then Mick!!

Grant..

#18 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

Nice hatch!

any chance of a photo whith the GTS wheels, what tyre sizes are they?

cheers

#19 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hi Mick, Good to see some photo's of the project coming along. Shame about the axle, especially after your wait for it. The GTS wheels look great, your not interested in painting another set by any chance?

#20 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

Top Stuff Mick!

Cant wait to see this one out and about too! :)

Seeing you at the Xmas Cruise?

#21 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Here's a few answers to your questions/comments;

blown308 - yes the cars my retirement present to me. The only problem was I have been too busy to work on it or didn't have the parts but thats changing now.

tsn007 - haven't got the gts wheels on the car yet but I did put one photo in this thread (they all look the same but deeper dish on the back). Front tyres are 225 x 50 x 15 sitting on 15 x 8 wheels. Rear tyres are 265 x 50 x 15 sitting on 15 x 10 wheels

BCR42Y - Painting the wheels is easy. It's the preparation that takes the time. Cleaning, rubbing and masking.

enderwigginau - those were the days back in the old STC (I think I still had hair then (checks old photograph) no I was wrong, still bald). Loved my hatchback then a took along time to get the second one.

ass308 - front brakes are new slotted dba rotors with HQ front calipers. Have spoken to a few people and seems be a good combination with the rear disc VK calipers. Should be back on the road in December 2008 for testing/driving. Hopefully finish body, trim etc by May/June next year.

lx5008 - Yellow hatchbacks are making a comeback. Your project looks fantastic. Leakey will be so jealous.

Tiny - doubtful for the Xmas run. Hopefully will get to Casula Bunnings to catch up for a chat.

Cheers Mick.

Edited by lxsstorana, 02 November 2008 - 06:06 AM.

#22 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hi Mick,
I love your plans, I love original looking muscle cars that have an actual muscle driveline.

Cheers
Marty

Edited by UDLOSE, 02 November 2008 - 08:24 AM.

#23 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

Well a little time has passed since I updated this threat but I am pleased to announce we have "ignition"

It has been 9 years since the 383 chev motor was build and turned over (only dynoed and never driven) but today it finally roared back to life. :D

The General would have been proud. :spoton:

Nearly lifted the roof off my garage and 'can you believe it' it started first kick.

You should have seen the rust and crap that came out of the exhaust when it fired up. Had to sweep out the garage floor after that.

Anyway let it run for about 15 - 20 minutes and shut it off. Dumped the fresh oil that had just been put into it (with engine flush) and dumped the radiator water (with added radiator flush) and got rid of old contaminents. Put in clean fresh liquids and all should be good now.

Still waiting for 1 axle so I can't test drive it yet. Should happen soon and then I can find out whats going on with this car and sort out the little teething problems you get.

Here's a list of what I have done since my last post.

Full rewire (partially concealed), fit new twin thermo fans, service radiator and add self regulating switch, fit new rear metal brake lines, renew all fluids & filters etc, repair lip near rails, modify firewall near distributor, remove and clean drop tank and fuel lines and numerous other small defects etc etc.

I know I'm being fussy but it's my car and I want everything to work and be right. I have learn't alot about chev motors in torana's and hopefully it will all be worthwhile.

Here's a few photo's,

Cheers Mick.

New thermo fans & radiator & switch
Posted Image

Modification to firewall and MSD ignition
Posted Image
Posted Image

Damage to lip (by former mechanic) due to fitting oversize thermo fans
Posted Image

Repair to lip (back to original)
Posted Image

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

^ nice lil repair there. :spoton:

#25 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

The black radiator is a big improvement over the gold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users