44 replies to this topic

#1 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

I'm just about jack of EBAY. I sold a radiator over a month ago, and the person has been dicking me around with every excuse under the sun as to why the payment has not come through, no one else has ever had a drama.
I bought a distributer and still have not got it. I emailed the guy and he says, yep, sent it the day I gave you feedback...hmmm, I got no feedback, and now, he has sent a dispute resolution saying I have not paid...what tha!!! I also bought some seatbelts and have heard nothing, no feedback, no replies to my emails, nothing. Then, I bought a dash, the guy tells me the postage costs etc, so I pay. No Dash, "oh sorry mate it's too big to post" Shouldn't he have checked that first up seeing he quoted a postage price???? I think it's started to attract some dodgy people myself.

#2 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:13 AM

Yes i agree i just got a dispute resolution form to fill in today and this happened over 4 months ago from a certain well known performance shop that sells rubber kits , We resolved it ourselves after considerable negotiations , except for the extra long wait i did well out of it , I had one the other night that i won and then sent an email a few days after i had paid that the freight was extra , Alot of them sell the item and then procure it to onsell and when they cant get the item they come up with some beauty stories , REX

#3 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:14 AM

ive been very lucky them ive sold about 50 parts in the last six months with no dramas at all thank god.

#4 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

Unfortunately, thats were all the good bits seem to be going (to ebay) in lieu of the swap meets.

#5 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hows this, I sell a NOS HT Premier door trim, black, for $10 on ebay, cost me $3 in ebay fees, so for a $7 profit.

This guy doesnt want it sent in the post, he was coming down from QLD to Sydney, so he said could I hold it for 4 weeks, fine post would of only been another $10 and he would of had it in 3 days.

He never shows up and I dont make my $7, man its not like a $1000 item, its a $10 item, man some people. Negative feedback for him- DICKHEAD. :fool:

#6 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

i just sold a nos vl calais r/h/f door trim and arm rest for $237.00 last week. you get the good and the bad.

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

its not only ebay. i did a deal through these forums a while back and got shafted big time. basicaly im $200 under.

#8 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

yeha i agree wit hthe swap meet thing...everythig is on ebay now and it goes for ludicrist prices..

although i bought a 16 inch Davies craig thermo fan for $70 , it was to big so i put it back on ebay a wek later, sold for $130....But yeha i have had no trouble in 45 odd transactions

#9 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:37 PM

Mick ( and others),

I can sympathise with you and all the others. I have recentlly been ripped off to the value of over $300!! and that was for DVD's for my GF for Xmas!!

I have also been ripped in the past over GTS Mirrors (Pre Rares Repro's) that were supposedly NOS.. lot of shit that was....

I think that Ebay, and most of the ppl that advertise on it, are out to make a killing on what they are trying to sell. The biggest problem is that there are ppl out there that will pay outragous prices for stuff..eg $300 for a radio facia, $2000 for an L34 dizzy.... that's never goimg to change. Not in the current climate of how "our" vehicles are viewed.. (they are seen as somewhat of a "culture car")

I have found that if you research what you are after, you can do better than ebay sometimes.... eg. alot of thing advertised are available through Rare Spares and others.. if you take in the cost of postage with the cost of the item, it's cheaper to do to your local Rares dealer.. The wreckers is another good source of parts.

Ppl get lazy and that's why Ebay is such a force now.. unfortunately that's what we have to live with.. As for not getting caught... it's a case of "buyer beware" and check their ebay history..it's a pity that more ppl aren't that trustworthy anymore.. we all know what should happen to those... :furious:

just my thoughts....

Cheers
Mick

BTW, Mick... any reply reference my last PM to you???

#10 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

I've been doing the ebay thing for a few years now, and I must say over the last 12 months, the whole thing really has gone down hill in a big way... There are just too many ppl out there who are unscrupulous and will do anything for a quick buck...

About 6 months ago I bought a set of 18 degree alloy heads from a user that had over 60 transactions with 100% positive feedback, it all seemed legit and I payed the money.... Never recieved the heads.. was out of pocket well over $1000..... Went to the police, reported it etc, went to ebay and did the resolution thing..... No response from the seller... After about 2 months ebay banned the user and gave me about $200 - the max for an item not recieved claim....

The twist is the cops got back to me about this one.... They told me that they traced the user back to a middle aged women in Dallas in the US!!!! Who had somehow forged an ebay user (to appear to be located in melbourne) and that there way no chance i could recover the money..

Obviously this really knocked my confidence in ebay's security system.... I still purchase the odd thing from there, but I keep it under the $200 limit or pay using a more secure method (paypal or similar) or COD.

You have to wonder how many other ppl have been ripped off tho....

#11 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

I agree, its strarting 2 get dodgey.

#12 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

I've brought and sold from ebay and to date I've never had a problem. I must admit I try to use paypal when ever I can, at least then there is a record and people cant just say I didnt recive the payment.

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:33 AM

Hi guys, yes it pays to check with wreckers before bidding on ebay items here is a typical example.

I have been watching the sets of VN factory extractors that appear on ebay: Currently they are selling for around the $140.00 to $150.00 mark (plus freight) so I naturally thought anything under $140.00 was good - right? Wrong............ I phoned my local wreckers, he has a good set there for $80.00 that I can inspect before I buy and I do not have to pay freight.

With regard to holding items for collection, yes I have held items (say for 4 weeks) but I still ask the buyer to deposit the money into my account first, that way if they don't turn up at least they have paid and I have not lost a sale.

Cheers
Herne

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

With regard to holding items for collection, yes I have held items (say for 4 weeks) but I still ask the buyer to deposit the money into my account first, that way if they don't turn up at least they have paid and I have not lost a sale.

And then you relist it again and again until you get a decent buyer, and in the process of doing so, you make huge amounts of money. :P

To date I've only purchased on eBay, and everyone I've bought from has been good, having said that, everything has been less than $60 so far. I just bought a $200 interior from someone with 100% feedback and I hope that does all go to plan. I would have preferred to place a deposit of $80 or something rather than paying in full, but I see where the buyer is coming from, just like Herne also does.

#15 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

Ive only ever had one issue with anything ive purchased on ebay.

I have seen an increase in complaints recenlty not only on this forum but others aswell.

To somehow reduce the risk of our members getting burnt, i have thought it might be a good idea to have a sticky here with listings of reputable Ebay users that our members have dealt with, and have found to be legit. Members can then check the list when considering to purchase from a seller.

I thought about having a dont deal with these users sticky, but that can get nasty and cause all sorts if issues. We need to be carefull when commenting on the validity of users on ebay...

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

Another thing thats pissing me off is people listing things that are not what they say they are, and in some cases, you just can't tell them they are wrong, which means some poor sucker will get burnt

here is a good example
http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

It may be plastic, but it's not original, take a look at the square cutouts for the blinkers.

#17 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:13 AM

I got done on ebay US, thing is this guy has closed and opened 3 different accounts so far, I chased it all up worked out and investigated that it was the same guy, forwarded all the relevant info and details to ebay, got some lame ass reply "we are looking into this".

btw he had ripped off 6 people per account x3 accounts so there is 18 people done by the same guy. $150 per item, adds up quickly.

#18 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

Another thing thats pissing me off is people listing things that are not what they say they are, and in some cases, you just can't tell them they are wrong, which means some poor sucker will get burnt

here is a good example
http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

It may be plastic, but it's not original, take a look at the square cutouts for the blinkers.

Im glad thats the wrong auction and hope the winning bidder gets it at the end, its the goose asking $2,000 for the twin point dissy.

Me and mantellc dont see eye to eye.

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

I thought I was the only person to have a run in with James...

#20 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:59 AM

I thought I was the only person to have a run in with James...

Well he boast's himself as the best motor trimmer in the world.

Tells us he had the original (new) HT Monaro insert material, this stuff was last available in the early 80's.

Buy a set of covers off him for $1400 and its pure shit, its motorbike seat material, some shit off a Triumph.

And he still has our "GTS" seat badge, like new and original not remake shit, hard to get, its been 3 years now and still hasnt arrived.

TOSSER. :finger: I'll fix him up on ebay.

Edited by LS1LX, 05 March 2006 - 10:00 AM.

#21 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

EBAY, love it or hate.
Without it the parts that are now available would only ever appear at swap meets or very rarely thru the trading post.
Swap meets are great but are localised at best.
Ive never seen so many torana parts accessible throughout oz since i owned my 1st torry in '82.
At the end of the day you always treat any sale with caution regards of the selling medium.

#22 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

I agree with gtr161s,
ive never seen so many torana parts before.

and when i went to the last bendigo swapmeet, they had stuff all and everything was heavily overpriced

#23 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

There is a bloke on forum at moment selling plastic side bits for torana seats ans when i asked him how is it that you want $20 for freight and i can get a carb from VIc to QLD for $18 ? His reply i got to make money somehow , REX

#24 _wraith75_

_wraith75_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

PISSED right of whating 4 a vn dash cluster stickert to go over a mates spedo taco 5 dame weeks later shold have driven to sydeny my selph and wife is wating on a dress that has been 7 weeks with a 14 day max so much 4 pay pal it no pal of mine just call my best frend CASH cold hard CASH thanks 4 the vent ebay this is 4 u :finger: :finger: :finger:

#25 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Luckily I haven't had any ebay issues yet
I plan in the near future once I get my own business up and running (watch this space) I may be using abay abit to gain some exposure

Heres a suggestion for you
We're a national forum. Alot of people trust others here.
If you want to buy something in a different state get someone local to pick it up and ship it for you. Its harder to get ripped off when the cash and parts have to be handed over face to face
A few guys on other forums I go to (yes I whore myself out to other forums) have had stuff shipped to me and I act as a middle man when the guy comes to collect.
Seems to be safer that way for the larger $ items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users