#1 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

knowing that its pretty much a 350 chev and you would have to change ya extractors, tailshaft and engine mounts. is there anything else that i would have to concider??, would the t56 fit in without haveing to butcher up the tranny tunnel?
what is it like for clearences? and has anyone done it?

Thanks guys
Evan....
\

#2 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

I am in the process of doing this.

LS1LX has done this....

Basically, bloody tight..... and expensive option compared to a Carby 350. Completely different kettle of fish.

Can tell you from personal experience, there is abslolutely a snowballs chance in hell the T56 will fit in the tunnel. Im looking at the option of grafting in a Commodore Tunnel.

On top of that, the sump is a bastard to get right, extractors not so simple, wiring and ECU are expensive. Standard ECU needs to be edited.

On top of that, new, larger flow fuel lines, EFI Fuel pump.

To fit the T56 also requires some thought. A std box uses electronic output for speedo, so you have three choices. Use a conversion box for the speedo to used std LX, Get the extension housing changed to use cable speedo for std LX Dash, ior dont used st LX Dash

So, in point form:

Gen 3 5.7ltr Chev V8 - $6000 ish
Engine Mounts - $160
Sump and pickup - $1000
Starter Motor - $400
6 spd Gearbox T56 - $3500ish
Gearbox X-Member - not sure yet
Clutch Linkages Hydraulic - not sure yet
Tailshaft - Custom
Suspension Upgrade - $1000ish
Body Bracing kit -
Electronic Speedo - $400
Wiring Loom inc Computer - $2500
Brake Upgrade - $1200
Radiator - $400?
Thermo Fans - $300
Fuel Lines - Vaires
Fuel Pump - $200

BIG BIG Dollars.

Look at budgeting around $25K upwards...

Edited by tj81, 04 March 2006 - 10:15 PM.

#3 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

knowing that its pretty much a 350 chev and you would have to change ya extractors, tailshaft and engine mounts. is there anything else that i would have to concider??, would the t56 fit in without haveing to butcher up the tranny tunnel?
what is it like for clearences? and has anyone done it?

Thanks guys
Evan....
\

Dont know what your looking at, maybe a GEN 2? A gen 3 is completely different to any SBC.

Different dimensions externally and everything interanlly is different again.

Your going to need more then extractors, engine mounts and a tailshaft, there 3 out of approx 45 different things needed over a regular SBC.

#4 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

forgot to also mention that in some states, you will also need to comply with emission regulations from the Gen 3 not the LX. This includes things like cat convertors ect.

#5 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

forgot to also mention that in some states, you will also need to comply with emission regulations from the Gen 3 not the LX. This includes things like cat convertors ect.

Thats the case in the states that are living in the new millenium, not sure about the Western states if there in the 2000's yet??

#6 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

Yeah i wasnt sure if it was all sates or not.. I know some used to go on when the car was built, and others depend on the engine. I often thought myself it would be much easier to have one uniform rule covering all.

#7 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

hey guys
thanks for the good insite.
yer was meaning a gen 3.
yer cos ive put 7 g away for a new engine and ive seen smashed commi's from the auctions for about 6k with gen 3.

looks like i had better go other ways with my small budget. supose stick to what i know. stay with the 308's.

Evan...

#8 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

Why not go for a 350 Injected Chev, with a T5 or Supra 5 Speed.

#9 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

Are you sure? I have seen Gen 3 5.7ltr's for $3,000 and that was a while ago to

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:59 AM

Are you sure? I have seen Gen 3 5.7ltr's for $3,000 and that was a while ago to

I paid $3000 for mine 18 months back when they were big in demand and harder to get, rebuiklt and had wiring and ecu.
A brand new engine went for $3400 on ebay last week, but like I always say, buying the engine is the cheapest bit it will cost you double to get it running.

#11 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

You can get them from anywhere between $3000 - $6000ish

There arnt alot around below $5500 that i have seen, and if they are, there usually second hand from wrecks.

I was referring to a brand new crate motor from the US, not the Aussie version, for around the $6000 mark

#12 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:27 PM

Sorry to bring this topic up again guys...

I am aware of kits with brand new Gen III's and boxes with loom and ecu plus water pump and starter motor etc etc for $10k

If one was to acquire one of these kits complete what do you rekon it would take to squeeze it into a torana of LH/LX dimensions... This price also includes sump and pickup mods...

If anyone has done this can you please either reply here or PM me!!

Cheers
Keith

#13 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

my mates doing a gen3 conversion into a hq coupe

hes told me that a sump off a camaro will fit into a hq therefore it should fit into a torana

extractors not sure if your meaning as he old 350 chev ones then no as the exhuast ports are different

tj81 i agree legalise extractors only for all v8s hehehe

#14 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

I am in the middle of fitting an LS2. I have been told the Camaro sump will not fit by CAE. Some people say it will but until I see one fitted in a Torana I will believe CAE.

This page has the cost so far.
http://members.westn...orana/LXLS2.htm

The LS2 conversion is more expensive than the LS1 conversion because the LS2 comes with an electronically controlled throttle body. I have not been able to find anyone that knows how to make this work in a Torana so it has been replaced with a cable operated throttle body which costs around $1300 with sensors.

I am not sure if fitting a carby to the LS1 or LS2 would be legal as it would no longer meet the emission standard for the year the engine was built.

A 383 carby Chev would be a much cheaper option.

#15 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

Looking at over 26 grand.... hmm... maybe i'll use a carby chev... I was looking at a $15 000 conversion not $25grand!!

Exhaust and headers at my price up here would come to around $2k
Tailshaft is reasonable @ $400
9" was a must, again $1000 is reasonable

As i said above, the LS1 and box package with all wiring and computer (300kW computer), alternator, starter, pulleys and water pump, no air-con or power steering - $10k to my door ready to run...

So if you add the other stuff like speedo, crossmember, throttle cable, then i dont see much more than $15k in that budget.

If i've left something out let me know!!

Cheers
Keith

#16 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Sounds about right Keith !

As i said back in March, its going to cost at least 25K upwards.

One can cut costs in one way or another by using different combinations of parts etc, how ever the basics remain the same.

Examples:

9" Vs Borg Warner ....maybe cheaper...unsure exactly.

Choice of transmission/gearbox, manual Vs auto relating to tunnel mods, conversions available etc

it all adds up..

#17 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Has anyone done the 300+HP chev crate motor and box conversion to a torry and got financials they are willing to share??

Its not so much the power that i'm after, but i would like a motor that does what its told when its told (like my 6)... Thats why the LS1 sounded more appealing. And for only about 2k more over a crate chev and auto i could have the LS1 package signed sealed and delivered...

I'm not trying to go cheap on this as it's not the right way to do things, but 25k is a bit steeper than i'd hoped... 15k sounds more like me!!

Keep the advice coming (and sorry for hijacking the thread)!!

Cheers
Keith

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

These are the other engines I looked at which would have been an easy conversion with my TH350.

385 HP Fastburn 350 Part 12496769 $7,400.00
http://www.eagleauto...u/gmzz4_350.htm

Carb $600.00
Starter $350.00
LX Torana 350 Engine mounts $160.00
LX Torana headers with black jet coat $700
LX Torana sump $395.00
Total $9605

330 HP Chev 350 part no 12496968 $5,600.00
http://www.gmperform...NG&sku=12496968

Starter $350.00
LX Torana 350 Engine mounts $160.00
LX Torana headers with black jet coat $700.00
LX Torana sump $395.00
Total $7,205.00

#19 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

Has anyone done the 300+HP chev crate motor and box conversion to a torry and got financials they are willing to share??

Its not so much the power that i'm after, but i would like a motor that does what its told when its told (like my 6)... Thats why the LS1 sounded more appealing. And for only about 2k more over a crate chev and auto i could have the LS1 package signed sealed and delivered...

I'm not trying to go cheap on this as it's not the right way to do things, but 25k is a bit steeper than i'd hoped... 15k sounds more like me!!

Keep the advice coming (and sorry for hijacking the thread)!!

Cheers
Keith

What ever the LS1 engine and box cost you, double that figure to get it up and running and your on target then.

#20 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

I am in the middle of fitting an LS2. I have been told the Camaro sump will not fit by CAE. Some people say it will but until I see one fitted in a Torana I will believe CAE.

Is that so, gee I must have my beer googles on ever time I look under my car, because I could of sworn the guys at GM parts direct invoiced and charged me for a camaro pan. Even looks like one too.

I bet you they told you there sump fits though, pity it didnt fit for Craig in his hatchback, $1000 sump and he had to cut and shut it too fit. Got to love that a shop that sells a HQ LS1 conversion kit for a Torana and tells you things that will work=won't and things that won't work=will. Man got to love it.

Edited by LS1LX, 02 January 2007 - 05:49 PM.

#21 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

for me its the cheapest way the best way

except for when it comes to engine internals i tend to lash out a bit but other wise

#22 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

Is that so, gee I must have my beer googles on ever time I look under my car, because I could of sworn the guys at GM parts direct invoiced and charged me for a camaro pan. Even looks like one too.

I bet you they told you there sump fits though, pity it didnt fit for Craig in his hatchback, $1000 sump and he had to cut and shut it too fit. Got to love that a shop that sells a HQ LS1 conversion kit for a Torana and tells you things that will work=won't and things that won't work=will. Man got to love it.

I wish you had posted this information earlier, this question has been asked several times over the last couple of months. I have been waiting on the sump from CAE since September. They allegedly sent it last week though I have not received it yet.

Will the LS1 Camaro sump fit an LS2?

How much did you pay for the Camaro sump?

Did you use the CAE engine mounts or make your own? CAE claim that the front of the Camaro sump fouls on the crossmember using their engine mounts.

Edited by AndyCullen, 03 January 2007 - 09:55 AM.

#23 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

If you already lashed out $1,000 for one of there STEEL pans for your engine just use that, if it fits.

What has taken 4 months to make a sump for your car? They should be on the shelf? We made one for a friend with his LS1 torana, engine in the car, just supported engine and dropped cross member and it was made, leak tested and fitted and running again in 4 days not months.

Everything on my car is custom made, not much bolts straight in. Depends if you wanna play you gotta pay or do it yourself the right way.

Edited by LS1LX, 03 January 2007 - 04:08 PM.

#24 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

You're a wierd kid, Chevy.

RIM

#25 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

You're a wierd kid, Chevy.

RIM

Nah his just a kid, most kids are on a low budget, so do what you can afford.
For me its quality before quantity, save the extra penny's needed and get good quality parts, as cars and cheap parts don't mix.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users