Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

As the topic says, removing over spray.

Seems "Plastic" was in the firing line of someones artistic painting and the whole car feels like sand paper. Drivers side and boot areas are the worst.

Of course all the work utes missed getting any and my car being the only non white vehicle is covered in white over spray.

So.... does it need a cut n polish or buff or what?

Will thinners get the paint off the glass?

I told the boss the company will be footing the bill to get it cleaned up. So should I just get a professional to do it?

Any/All help is greatly appreciated.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

I would use a professional, especially if the company is paying.
That way if they stuff it up, it's still on the company to fix it.

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

You can get the paint off the glass with a razor blade easy as. Metal surfaces thinners should do it. Plastic is going to be a bit tricky...if you use an abrasive you run the risk of mucking up the surface finish and I think thinners on plastic is a no no..but you're spot on about a good cut and polish will get it off the paint.

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

get a clay bar Tinks, problem solved, very good for the paint too :) Meguiars make em, so does the 3M company and others.

use clay bar and lube it with quick detailer :) small area and circular motions, makes it like glass to touch.

Herne

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

Wax & Grease Remover (diluted thinners) + lots of rubbing.

Greetings from NZ. Similar to Aus, but different.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 December 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#6 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

I think Herne is on the money here - a clay bar. Was forced to investigate this very problem a few months ago and it should be ideal for the problem.
More than one pannel beater has told me that steel wool is the go for the glass, believe it or not! Am NOT sure if any specific steel wool should be used.

Cheers
Harve

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

If the company is paying get a pro to do it.

If not, clay bars are the bomb diggity freshness.

#8 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

I would be going with wax and grease remover and a nappy type rag, finish off with a polish

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

I would get a pro to do it, if they are footing the bill. They will probably just give it a cut/polish and detail! (Should also come up nice!)

#10 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

meguiars clay bar, make sure you use the spray with it

#11 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the replies, we found out who was doing the painting and didnt he cop it, not just from me but also the Health & Safety office for not painting in an enclosed area.

One of our workers used to be a spray painter and suggested the clay bar as well. So the boss has arranged for him to get what is needed and fix the paint. He does a great job with any painting or repairs to the work utes, so "Plastic" should come up great.

Thanks again. :)

#12 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

I have the same problem!,I just noticed the other day I have Yellow overspray on my paintwork and windows on my daily driver(180SX) not happy at all= My car is parked really quite far indeed from where the Bulldozers etc are sprayed at work but the bastards at work have gotten yellow overspray on my cars which is black! so very noticeable ARGHHHHHHH!,had a go with T CUT yesterday but it only helped a little.I'll look into these" Clay Bars" ? tomorrow and use the Wax And Grease Remover on my windows,how much are these Clay Bars?,are they used in a specific manor and in conjunction with another product?
HELP

#13 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, we found out who was doing the painting and didnt he cop it, not just from me but also the Health & Safety office for not painting in an enclosed area.

One of our workers used to be a spray painter and suggested the clay bar as well. So the boss has arranged for him to get what is needed and fix the paint. He does a great job with any painting or repairs to the work utes, so "Plastic" should come up great.

Thanks again. :)

Good onya Tinks, serve it up to the mongrels. It pisses me that some people just dont give a sh*t, unbelieveable !!

My advice is to CLAY BAR it. We had a similar problem with our 66 Mustang and it got rid of all the inpurities, infact we couldn't believe the difference it made. Gotta do the L34 next.

#14 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

76S.L.R, any auto store sell the clay bar Meguiars "Smooth Surface Quik Clay Kit" is the box it comes in $35 from Repco.

Due to the timing of the year, my car isnt going to get anything done to it til close to February for our guy to do it (school holidays = flat out at work) so I'll have a go myself with the clay bar.

#15 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

** Update **
I was in at work today and 4 cars were being clay bar/washed down due to overspray including 1 brand spanking new BMW. The owner has only had it for 2 weeks and wasnt she impressed.

Anyway since I was there my car was lined up as well and yup mine was the worst and it didnt come off. Mind you I dont think he spent enough time trying. Not quite an hour.
Where I did a test on the bonnet and guard feels and looks alot better than the rest of the car that he did. Plus you can still see the paint dots everywhere, sure it feels smooth but I would rather not see the dots as well. This was from a car detailer too not just one of our workers.

The boss said he'll get it buffed or cut n polished when I come back next week.

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

I would take the car to a spray painter and get their opinion. Depending on the type and amount of over spray you may be better off blocking it off with P2000 and then polishing. Using a buff and cutting compound to remove the over spray may also remove to much of the original paint.

#17 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

** Update **
I was in at work today and 4 cars were being clay bar/washed down due to overspray including 1 brand spanking new BMW. The owner has only had it for 2 weeks and wasnt she impressed.

Anyway since I was there my car was lined up as well and yup mine was the worst and it didnt come off. Mind you I dont think he spent enough time trying. Not quite an hour.
Where I did a test on the bonnet and guard feels and looks alot better than the rest of the car that he did. Plus you can still see the paint dots everywhere, sure it feels smooth but I would rather not see the dots as well. This was from a car detailer too not just one of our workers.

The boss said he'll get it buffed or cut n polished when I come back next week.

What exactly were they spraying?

#18 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

I have no idea what was painted at head office where the other cars got the over spray. But at our end the only thing I can think of was one of the trucks was being cleaned up and it is now in primer. The only other thing that gets painted is bollards and they are orange so it wasn�t them.

#19 _PRO-192_

_PRO-192_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

overspray clay

micko

#20 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

*** Update ***

The panel beater finally did some work on my car and I wished he hadnt' :angry: I think I know why he gave up panel work and is now doing concreting.

I did a better job myself when I did the clay bar and stuff I had here, although I couldnt get rid of all the paint spots.

He used the clay bar then buffed it. He wasnt interested in me showing him where I had already used the clay bar and it didnt lift all the paint off. To me it had been there to long, dunno, thats just my inexperienced opinion.

While the paint is nice and smooth now, you can still see spots of paint and now it has buff marks. And to top it off the bonnet is scratched where the buffer has pitted I think is the word.

The boss was lucky he wasnt around when it was finished!

*sighs*

#21 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi Tinkers, sounds like the guy might be suited to concreting. Sorry to hear of your ongoing woes though.

My next suggestion will cost you if you go ahead with it but I would NOW suggest you contact a professional detailer and ask him to do some paint correction on your car, if he is any good he will be able to advise you if its worth doing.

Check out the forums here and you will see what I am on about. Have a look at the finish they achieve on their many threads.

http://www.detailpar...om.au/index.php

I have found that forum to be an invaluable source when it comes to paint and polish.

Cheers
Herne

#22 _MR & MRS L34_

_MR & MRS L34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

Have you tried Brasso ,me and my mates used to use it in our younger days and it worked quite well being a cut and polish dont know whether you can still buy it also a mate uses MR SHEEN to polish his monaro has done for years and that works mint for a quick polish.
Pete......

#23 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

I have the same problem!,I just noticed the other day I have Yellow overspray on my paintwork......

Go with the flow. Deep down, your car wants to be Yella!!!

#24 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

Interesting forum Herne, I had a bit of a read last night, thanks for that.

My son's teacher told him to use Brasso as well. So I'll give that a try thanks Pete

#25 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

From what your saying it sounds it's copped a fairly heavy overspray. Dependant on the type of paint on your car and the paint used by the culprit, it may require to be properly cut and polished. Many detailers version of a cut and polish is simply a buff with a cutting compund which polishes to a gloss finish. This will possibly clean off some of the overspray but if it's really bad then A proper wet sanding cut with possibly as low as 1000 grit or ultrafine wet and dry will be required before buffing with a suitable product. This process will also flatten out the paint removing orange peel effect. You may even need a repaint if it's really bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users