Check out the Awesome Massive RIMS on this LX

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _chief_

_chief_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

A bloke was telling me when I was at the nats about this black torana with 20's on it and no flares. He said he saw it on a tilt tray getting driven into NATEX. I kept my eye out for it down there but never saw it on a truck or driving round.
Then my mate rings up from the Gold Coast QLD last week and tells me he was washing his car at a car wash and this awesome black LX came in on the back of a tilt tray as he was leaving and it was tubbed, no flares, had 20's on the back and the number plate was NO MRCY.
Well I finally found some pics of it and it looks sooooo tough.
I reckon the rims must be 20'x14' cause there is at least 8' of dish. And look at the width of the tyres and imagine what they COST!!!!
295/50/15's are over $250 and the tyres must be at least 345's.
Absolutely Awesome.
Does anyone Know of this car???????
Has anyone got any more pics of It ??????
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

personaly, i don't like it. the dish is awesome, the style is ok, but if the rim was a few inches less in dia and the tyre sidewall a bit taller it would suit the torry a lot better IMO!!!!!

note, the letters imo were made big and colorfull so you may pay attention to them and not flame me.....

#3 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

soup bowls. doesn't do it justice, have seen better. Each 2 their own tho.

#4 _chief_

_chief_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

soup bowls. doesn't do it justice, have seen better. Each 2 their own tho.

Have you ever seen any torana with rims that big on it? If you have post some photos as I have never seen a set of rims that big, with that much dish on ANY CAR let alone a torana. It is original and tough and even if you dont like the style and look you have to be impressed with the originality and custom work that has gone into the car.

#5 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:46 PM

its very american influenced. yeah true, i think theyre hot but too big for this torry

#6 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:32 AM

I personally think 20's are more suited to a car like my daughters.....as seen here on her regular surfers cruises....
Posted Image

#7 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

yes spotted it on the tilt tray at the nats, didn't see it again until it was leaving , again on the tilt tray, think from memory the rear rims are bigger than 20", from memory they were 22" or maybe even 24", the rear rims look spot-on, the fronts however just didn't look right to me. I think it had something to do with the stance of the car, it just seem to be sitting too high at the front to clear the rims, IMO.

#8 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

This car actually did come off the trailer for laps at Summernats.

My son helped the guy start it using our jump pack (yeah my son has full on doof doof in his Phantom Mica, Maual 6 speed VY SS). I didn't hear or see it other than on the trailer but my son assures me this is one mean SOB. His words were 'really wild'.

The owner of NO MRCY spotted my sons car and figured with the sound gear he had he was sure to be carrying a jump pack lol.

Sorry but thats all I have got for you's on this one.

Cheers
Herne

#9 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

mmmmmm..NO, personally i think there's a limit for
modern rim/tyre sizes, on clasic aussie muscle cars.

What ever floats your boat i guess!!!!!?? :lol

#10 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

Have a look through QLD Street Cars forum? I remember seeing a thread about No Mercy around the Nats time.

As for 20" rims, seems the Gold Coast is all the rage with this I have seen a few torana with them.

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Too big, I just put 17's on my LX, I think there too big as well, actually makes my hoppers brake kit look too small if ya know what I mean, need huge brakes now to make it look complete.

#12 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

My preference is for 15" but I have to take note of any Torries wearing 16",I am sure they are out there and when I spot one I can then make a better judgement.

Cheers
Herne

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

My preference is for 15" but I have to take note of any Torries wearing 16"

I agree entirely. Having >15" wheels definately stands out and makes your car more noticeable, but coming from a design point of view, larger wheels tend to dominate visually, they make phat brakes look terrible, and cause a lot of problems with perfecting the stance of the car. Not to mention there aren't that many large wheels that are very tasteful or widely appreciated. There are no 'classics' in larger sizes

Edited by Heath, 11 March 2006 - 07:06 PM.

#14 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

There are no 'classics' in larger sizes

I'd kill for a set of 15" hotwires :(
Only because 13" tyres are becoming seemingly shit-hard to find to keep the old stocko and hubs. :/

So, I assume this Torry needs 500HP just to turn these huge and heavy ass wheels a few clicks an hour :)

Edited by Loki, 11 March 2006 - 07:19 PM.

#15 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

Interesting... I think they're a tad too big. I think the front wheels let it down as said by someone else, I think the whole "dumped in arse" was made cool by slack arses. It takes a shitload of work to perfect the stance of a car (especially an older one where theres f'all off the shelf parts).

The first thing I noticed is the silver bumpers ffs! The rims are so shinny i thought they were photoshop'd in at first. He needs to show chrome all the other bits like bumpers and door handles if they're gonna look at home.

#16 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

i think it looks bgucking awesome, a couple inches lower at the front though.
Fashion before function i say! :D

Its good to see someone break the mold, and put it out there.

Cheers Julian

#17 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:33 PM

Definatly the rear rims are way to big. The deep dish looks cool but. The front needs go be changed to better match the rears or vice virsa. The car looks shit hot, but I think the rims would be better suited to a 2 door XB falcon

#18 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

My preference is for 15" but I have to take note of any Torries wearing 16",I am sure they are out there and when I spot one I can then make a better judgement.

Cheers
Herne

mine has 16's, go have a look (link below)

#19 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

hrmm jury's out on this one. more chrome (windows surronds, bumpers etc) would tie it in a bit better, all i can say they some serious wok's on the rear!

Edited by TORUNYA, 13 March 2006 - 09:38 AM.

#20 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

blacknice1
blacknice2
blacknice3I Love it!!!!!!! :spoton:
Big yanke influence but i dig that.
Got a few more pics.
Heard on here that he did some nasty engine damage at the nats but not 100% on that.
red5
grey simmons 17x7 17x12 335's
grey rear
grey3
black showwheels
black omg
blacknice

#21 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

Personally I think it looks awesome, suits it perfectly.

:clap:

#22 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

i recon its farking shit hot :spoton:
were in 2006 now, 15s and 16s are for girls cars

lol
cheers
gtr-xu1

#23 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

The problem is getting the same dish, on the front of the torana you need pretty much 75% in 25% outer and on the rear you can go 50/50, so you always going to have next to no dish on the front unless you run flares. NO thanks.

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:13 AM

I think I agree with ^, the amount of % offset?dish? isnt matched at front and rear and which makes it lose out on visual symmetry. Personally, I prefer the clean lines of the standard body without any bolt on flares on the torrie, so this looks good for that reason alone.
Looking at the rear track: the axle would have need to have been shortened and the wheel arches enlargened into the cabin area, rear spring mountings changed etc?, fuel tank missing suggests that it wouldnt fit due to this? Has anyone looked in the back of this vehicle. Gather to run the same % dish at the front would have been too difficult in terms of moving suspension points inwards etc?
Still an awesome looking piece, those rear wheels could be a direct replacement for many washing machine drums...

Edited by devilsadvocate, 18 March 2006 - 01:26 AM.

#25 _chief_

_chief_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:08 AM

The rear end would have some very serious surgery. All the control arm mounts and shock mounts would be repositioned suggesting a ladder bar or 4 link set up. It would be running a fuel cell and I reckon full tubs to get the wheels that high in the gaurds. For a non-flared torana to sit that low with rims that big is a feat in its self.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users