How long can petrol sit in your tank?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 _rallystripes_

_rallystripes_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hi,just heard from a mate that if petrol sits in your tank for over a month,the fuel goes "off" and can be bad for your engine.

Is there any truth behind this myth?

Cheers,Adam

#2 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

dunno bout a month... but shit collects up in there and shouldnt sit for too long.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

UNLEADED FUEL loses it's edge after sitting around for a month

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

A month depends on the fuel at the time (not so much brand, just batch).

If something has been sitting for six months or so i usually change the fuel, apart from that it doesnt seem to worry anything.

Depends on the vehicle to, if it owes ya a lot dont risk it.

Cheers.

#5 _rallystripes_

_rallystripes_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Thanks guys for the very quick responses.

Ill be sure my fuel is used up soon as its been more than a month the fuel has been sittin in the tank.

#6 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

What other factors would determine how quick ULP or PULP goes off, other than batch as DJ mentioned?

#7 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Exposure to light (uv) kills it and as well as exposure to air. If its sealed in full air-tight drums then it should last a while. In a part full tank/drum you then get condensation effects and possibly rust etc.

#8 _D1Torana_

_D1Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

Someone told me it starts to seperate after a long time and you get a thick sludge. I had a car sitting for about 4 months and it ran ok when i drove it. I didnt even have to jump start it which was very strange...

#9 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

OK. So the PULP in my drop tank would still be allright after 3 months? Seeing as that's how long it takes between refills.
Or would I be better off half filling it?

Just thinking, thats all.

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Someone told me it starts to seperate after a long time and you get a thick sludge. I had a car sitting for about 4 months and it ran ok when i drove it. I didnt even have to jump start it which was very strange...

My VP sat unstarted for 6 months and when I started it I didnt add new fuel and all worked....I didnt have to jump start my battery either ;) Car still running fine for a daily driver, engine done 380,000 - Buick 6

I am not saying this is what I would do with my 355 stroker that Struggler built though.

Herne

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Take it from someone who works with fuel, today's fuel is not what it used to be, with what they mix with it I would not leave it sitting in your tank for more than 2 months especially if you have internal pumps etc.

I have made this mistake in the past.

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

Well said and along the lines at what i was getting at.

But my box torana was sitting out side of the bloke i got it offs place for over 12 months, and it started and ran ok, ran better when i drained the tank and put new fuel in it, but was good enough for me to drive it home (with plates i kept off one of my other cars when i sold it attatched hahahahaha)

Herne also hinted along the lines at what i was saying, that was fine, but if i had a decent motor that owed me some coin i would be flushing the tank.

Mellow, half fill it mate.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 15 August 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#13 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks DJ, just wanted another opinion on that.

Had a bad experience when I completely filled it anyway.

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

ran ok, ran better when i drained the tank and put new fuel in it

At the very least most people will notice this sort of thing after a few months

#15 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Agree with all comments, allthough i was under the impression fuel "started" to go off after only just 2 weeks ?

I definitely think the biggest problem is the fuels absorbtion of moisture, and the bacteria and fungi that can grow with the presence of water/moisture, the most common problem we all hear of is in Diesel fuel, but i believe any fuel (inc Jet fuel) can be affected by the Micro-organisms that live in the water-fuel interface.

As Litre8 suggested, the best way to store any perishable items is in a sealed container, this will limit any moisture absorbtion.

I wonder just how many "new" looking fuel stations, may have a nice new shop and pumps, but could still be using the same original 20+ years "old" metal underground tanks and pipes , so the big question is, what quality/amount of moisture content are you actually getting allready in the fuel, direct from the pump ? :blink:

And another tip is, DONT fill up if a tanker is delivering fuel, this can stir-up all the gunk that has settled at the bottom of the under ground tank/s..... :spoton:

MT

#16 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Agree with all comments, allthough i was under the impression fuel "started" to go off after only just 2 weeks ?

I definitely think the biggest problem is the fuels absorbtion of moisture, and the bacteria and fungi that can grow with the presence of water/moisture, the most common problem we all hear of is in Diesel fuel, but i believe any fuel (inc Jet fuel) can be affected by the Micro-organisms that live in the water-fuel interface.

As Litre8 suggested, the best way to store any perishable items is in a sealed container, this will limit any moisture absorbtion.

I wonder just how many "new" looking fuel stations, may have a nice new shop and pumps, but could still be using the same original 20+ years "old" metal underground tanks and pipes , so the big question is, what quality/amount of moisture content are you actually getting allready in the fuel, direct from the pump ? :blink:

Half a bottle of metho added to a FULL tank of petrol approx every 6 months will help eliminate water in your cars fuel tank.

Herne

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Mums taxi, now were really getting somewhere.

I should be less vague in my first posts on things like this haha.

I have done some work in and around petrol stations.

Most fuels sit for between one month and three months between the time they leave the refinery to when they make it to your cars tank.

Smaller servo's that dont get as much business may be longer.

I always go to large, popular service stations as these have the fastest turn around for new fuel.

Even though, you hit the nail on the head with the whole brand new servo with 20+ year old tanks...

Pump fuel is bad mkaaayyyyyy.

Also because i have a small fleet of vehicles that i may only drive each one once a week, i never fill the tanks right up.

Cheers.

#18 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

Half a bottle of metho added to a FULL tank of petrol approx every 6 months will help eliminate water in your cars fuel tank.
Herne

Yes, good tip Herne, but remember, Metho may help prevent a build up of water, but does not really get "rid" of the water in the fuel with regard to a stored vehicle.

Metho simply mixes with petrol "and" water, so allows the water to be diluted in the fuel and so burnt (along with the petrol) by the engine, but you do have to drive/consume the fuel in the tank to get rid of the water.

I always go to large, popular service stations as these have the fastest turn around for new fuel.

I do exactly the same with my Diesel van, its got a 180 Litre tank, so a full tank of bad fuel is very hard to get rid of, i go to the big truck stops for Diesel, these places have highest turnover (eg,last customer at the pump got $800 worth of fuel, LOL) plus i use Diesel Power addative.

Im pretty sure any supplier of fuel feeding millions of dollars worth in trucks, won't want to paying for a truck engine + down time due to bad fuel !

After a few very bad tanks of fuel, i am now very starting to get very selective on places to get fuel for the Torrie
:<_<:

Also because i have a small fleet of vehicles that i may only drive each one once a week, i never fill the tanks right up.

Is your fleet on petrol or Diesel, Bomber ?

MT

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

All petrol.

Was just referring to my drives/rides, currently have the Lux, the Box Torana and the HD all doing there part, just sold one bike so its a bit more reasonable with the three.

Still when you have three vehicles to pick from getting rid of a full tank can take a while.

Cheers.

#20 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

with regard to my thread above where I mention adding metho to a FULL tank of petrol I neglected to add I do this only when going on long driving trips.

But I took that as a given....I give people the benefit of having some common sense but with some I shouldnt lol

Herne

#21 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:36 AM

um depends what you want to do?
my torrie was sitting in a shed for five years and it still eventully ran on its fuel in the tank

#22 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

I was chasing a changeover carby recently, 3 places said they would only reco mine , when the rebuilt carbs are tested with fuel and then sit on the shelf they have all kinds of problems, so they don't like the changeover system anymore.

#23 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Fuel does go off and i think mumstaxi is right, its only like two weeks, however you can rejuvinate petrol by adding fresh petrol with it (so i have been told by a credible source)

#24 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

i was just going to ask the same question as ChevLX_77.

the only thing,not working on my torana,is the fuel gauge.everything has been recoed,i will be chaseing that prob soon.

to avoid running out,of fuel,which i have done already done once,i have filled the tank,and i put 20 dollars of fuel in every now and again.the tank is staying fairly full.

is this harmfull ?

#25 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:30 AM

Working within the fuel industry I must agree with TerrA LX.

As most of you already know there are additives that can be mixed into your fuel, these are generally recommended if:

Your car is going to sit idle for any longer then a month, Exposure over time to the atmosphere, moisture etc will alter the fuels chemical composition, one of these being the octane rating
You live in a climates with high humidity, as the presence of water will promote fungal growth within the fuel, a problem we have encountered in Cairns with both Jet Fuel and AvGas.

The dye's that are used to distinguish the different types of Unleaded Fuels (4) now a day's can and do present problems, especially those with carburetors, as when the fuel evaporates it does leave a brownish (PULP) sludge behind in fuel bowls.

I shouldn't (legally) be commenting but i personally I, Don't refuel any of my vehicle's when a Tanker is dicharging at a Site, Use anything but Premium Unleaded even in my daily drive and Stick to a Site that has a high turnover of product.

Out of Interest, A friend who was a chemist at the Kurnell Refinery told me a trick to increase the octane rating of PULP was to mix 25% Lead Replacement, this created a reaction in the carbon chain of the PULP and boosted its octane ratint up to around 105.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users