LH/LX Handling?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hey everyone, Im just wondering what everyones opinion of the handling of the LH torana, im considering buying an LH or a completely different car (S5 rx7) and the deciding factor will probably be wether the LH handles half decently. I know the RX7 out handles it but the torry has other things going for it. Anyway, what is the general concensus? Are they decent track cars or not?

#2 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

They did well at Bathurst right?

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

They did well at Bathurst right?

Damn, beat me to it!

#4 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

yeah, in the 70's. I think handling standards have risen slightly. Thanks for the reply but i was more thinking a modern comparison. How would they handle compared to a late 80's commodore (probably a car most people are familiar with). Or a r31 skyline ( a car im very familiar with)

#5 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:38 PM

I think you have answered your own question you are comparing cars over 10 years apart technology wise and designed for different purposes
The way you asked the question is no different to saying how does a VT handle compared to a WRX 05.
If you are purely deciding on handling capability dont get a Torry get the RX7 just don't expect to turn as many heads in the Jappa. :D

Good Luck hope you make the right decision for YOU :spoton:

Regards
Duck05

#6 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:49 AM

I spose anything can be made to handle well....I'm sure you could get the Torry to handle the way you want.

#7 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:24 AM

They're good track cars in the sense they are easy to fix, easy to replace parts and cheap to throw around. Yes they did well at bathurst but look what they were up against, big heavy bulky XA-XB falcons and Valiants with shitty 3 speed gearboxes. Good competition for it's time but we've come a long way since the early 70's. They were still hanging crims (and not so criminal) in that time.

In todays standard torries handle like bags a shit but that's not why we drive them. A new shitty stock standard lancer would out corner a stock torry anyday. Late model commodores like VL's will out handle a torry. That's not to say you can't get the torries handling well on a track. Lower it, use good suspension, adjust wheel camber, use low profile tyres and soft compound rubber and that should get you going.

What you will gain from a torry is they're easy to fix and maintain. If you run it into a wall, need a new panels? Hey presto, get your arse down to the wreckers and you're off again. Lot cheaper than later model cars. They've also got history and 'character', arguably something a RX7 or skyline doesn't have... not yet anyway. They're never gonna handle like a porsche - the centre of gravity, weight and aerodynamics simply won't allow it.

#8 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the replys, yeah i was thinking with soume decent suspension and tyres i could improve it a lot. Yeah the history and nostalgia are some reasons why im considering it over the rx7.

I owned an lh 2 years ago and remember how great it was to drive that old beast. I never got a real chance to test its handling though as a) it was unregistered, b ) it cost $50 and i was sceptical about how it would stay together at speed. Still ran though, had a carby issue and was a trimatic so it was a bit sluggish, but it was a dead stock 179 so maybe that was the problem.

Edited by Disqualified, 31 March 2006 - 07:48 AM.

#9 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

Hi all
Now Skylines were built for racing
Now TORANAS ARE BUILT TO FLY
I have had my Torana on Eastern
Creek Raceway at high speeds &
it handled quite well for a 32yr old
car
cheers
Keith

#10 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

well i think i can give you a pretty good comparison.
My LX 350 vs My 02 GTS 300kw coupe.

the GTS is standard
the torana has poly bushes lovells and koni adjustable all round all new 17" wheels etc etc.

the torana handles much better by far. Its downfall is that the steering is much heavier than the GTS.
the other thing at the moment the torana tyres dont stick to the road real well. then again the torana tyres are probaly 160 each compared to the GTS $760 each.

I think litre8 would be a good person to really answer this question as well.

#11 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

The skill level of the driver also plays a part in this also. I think a skilled driver can do the same shit in a Torry compared to an average driver in one of the new cars that have been mentioned.

Besides that, the handling of an LH or LX can always be improved by altering its suspension components, wheel and tyre dimensions and compound. It's lesser braking ability compared to the more superior braking ability of a VN commodore could be matched with hopperstoppers al round the car.

Firm steering has never worried me. It's all part of it being a muscle car and it's good exercise. :D

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

I disagree. The Toranas did well at Bathurst against similar 30 year old cars. They are 30 years old, and as a result, out of the box, i.e. factory standard, need hell of a lot of work to bring them up to par, suspension geometry for example, the front wheel rolling centre is one foot below the front wheels on the front and a foot above the boot at the rear (far from ideal). Newer cars come with this sort of engineering out of the box, steering geometry is poor, rear suspension mounts like to seperate from the floor pan, geometry for the diff just plain doesn't work compared to proper 4 point suspension, rear drum breaks that lock on on corners (i.e. not possible to trail brake) etc, etc, etc.

While they still feel at home on the track, unfortunately time has moved on.

Having said all that, I love the Torrie and working on one as a track car. We are simply overcoming alot of the shortcomings by changing it over to Commodore running gear, suspension, brakes, but hell of a lot of mods to get it up to anywhere near competitive, then I assume a fair while fine tuning and tinkering till we get a good set up.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 31 March 2006 - 11:00 AM.

#13 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

Well if you ask people on a torana forum I think I know what answer you will get lol :P, it's all completely up to you, and obviously theres no way a 30 year old car can out handle a RX7, but hey, either way you go good luck and make sure the steering doesnt stress you, good luck.

#14 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

yeah i just wanted to know if they are at all boat-like, i mean, obviously they have nothing on an rx7. That comparison between the gts was suprising, thats all i needed to hear. I will of course by overhauling the suspension, and replacing it with good stuff. How come no-one uses coil-overs, litre8?, i thought they wouldve been a better choice for racing?

#15 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

Hey everyone, Im just wondering what everyones opinion of the handling of the LH torana, im considering buying an LH or a completely different car (S5 rx7) and the deciding factor will probably be wether the LH handles half decently. I know the RX7 out handles it but the torry has other things going for it. Anyway, what is the general concensus? Are they decent track cars or not?

Like I said before, a big factor rests on the skill of the driver when it comes to the handling of a car like an LH Torana. I have some mates that are pretty good drivers and have done some crazy shit in these cars. They handle well enough if you know what you're doing and can manipulate the available dynamics that you have within the vehicle. These dynamics have lesser limitations than the ones available to newer cars, but a few months ago there was a accident at a merging point from one lane to two where three cars in front of me bingled into each other at a sudden stop. I saw about to happen even before it did and dodged it and stopped in my 1967 MK1 Ford Cortina with totally inferior braking and handling ability into a grass patch. The idiot that was behind me rammed up the ass of the car that was in front of me. These were all NEW cars and like I said before the major factor in handling being control where that control comes from the drivers skill and ability. Not that I'm a great driver, but that 1967 ford shouldv'e got squashed that day and it didn't. (*DAMN* hehe)

It also depends on personal preference. This may sound harsh but personally I tend to think of those who winge and sook about the lack of luxury and aircon and power steering etc, (oh sook sook sook, the clutch is heavy, sook sook sook, the steering is firm, sook sook sook, I can smell some fumes, sook sook sook, it's too loud and it shakes from side to side, sook sook sook the floor is hot) that they are all pussies or old men and they should go by a rice car. that's 'easier' for them to drive.

My advice to anyone new to the stuff is that you will have to change your driving habits that's all. No more tail gating or trying to oversteer around sharp corners at high speeds for example.

Im just wondering what everyones opinion of the handling of the LH torana

I've thrashed the absolute daylights out of my LH and gone bush bashing for hours and came back with a loose rack. Point is, I didn't hit any trees, so the handling can't be that bad. And I've seen a plenty of toranas being used as track cars and a fairly competative. I've put my old Torry through the test chasing commodores through tight and winding country roads and its done well for an old car and that's without any mods.

and the deciding factor will probably be wether the LH handles half decently.

Yes they do and will handle better with the mods that I mentioned before.

yeah i just wanted to know if they are at all boat-like

No they are not, only when thrashing a V8 LH in the wet or doing a street length burnout.

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

When I had my old SS I was always very happy with the way it handled, and at the time my family had franchises for AVIS, so I had plenty of modern day cars to compare against. I even remember when I bought my VR SS thinking the old LX SS had been more predicable to throw around corners, but it did have Recaro seats and a fully sorted suspension setup. It's ride was always going to be less comfortable than the VR of course. I had the A9X for a while when I still had the LX SS and the SS was better than the A9X in my opinion, but like I said, a bit of work had gone into the car and it did have full A9X spec front end, better tyres, seats etc. A few years ago, I took a mates A9X for a drive and then his VK Group A and I came away thinking, my God, this thing is awesome, it reminded me of the old SS but a little sharper. Not long after that I sold my VR SS and bought a HSV Senator and there is no comparison. Just my experiences.

#17 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

With a decent suspension setup they're not bad.
The "Holden Speed comparison" shows the A9X vs. VY [modified suspension] vs. Supercar.

VY starts, 10 seconds later A9X starts, 10 seconds later Supercar starts.

Supercar wins, VY comes second, A9X comes last.
Mind you, the A9X is virtually on the VY's ass on the last corner, which means it made up nearly 10 seconds on the VY.
Says to me they still handle decently (and Brockies words were that it's "still a pretty sharp little car to drive").

My own experiences (Having gone from 202 cruise boat rider, through to worked 308 illegally low rider :P )

Straight line wise, in my LH (Heaviest torry), it kills turbo supra's, GTS-T Skylines etc. (stock ones), running under 14's on the 1/4 [205 tyres, 13" stock rims].
Cruising suburbia/city driving very rarely cracks 2250 rpm, and i'm usually miles in front of everybody off the lights with the lightest touch on the accelerator.

Good Power:Weight ratio, doesn't consume much fuel city driving due to light foot and above reason, but get onto the freeway and due to the T350 only having 3 gears she sucks the fuel down.

So the choice is really up to you.
Rx7's aren't too bad [though my personal opinion is most rotaries without a huge bridgeport sound like @#$%], I'd take my (mild) 308 LH over one anyday.

Tough sounding head turner, handles well enough to throw around the track and be competitive and has the straight line acceleration.
Even the 6cyl's with a bit of an exhaust system sound pretty tough, still turn heads, stock they lack the oomph of a 308 but hey!

Good luck in any choice you make :spoton:

#18 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

yeah i saw that bathurst comparison yesterday and the a9x did look awesome on the track, seemed to take the corners nicely.

Straight line wise, in my LH (Heaviest torry), it kills turbo supra's, GTS-T Skylines etc. (stock ones), running under 14's on the 1/4 [205 tyres, 13" stock rims].

How stock was the lh engine there, i mean stock turbo supras run 14's atleast, i thought stock 308 torries ran 15.9?

Tough sounding head turner, handles well enough to throw around the track and be competitive and has the straight line acceleration.
Even the 6cyl's with a bit of an exhaust system sound pretty tough, still turn heads, stock they lack the oomph of a 308 but hey!

I agree they sound absolutely unreal, like you said even my old 179 sounded tough as and revved nicely.

On the fuel consumption issue, in that supra beating car what sort of milage were you getting in the city if you dont mind me asking? Im guessing over 15L/100km?

Thanks evryone for the detailed replies, TORANR AMORE that answered a lot of questions thanks

#19 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

^ agree, changed driving style, i.e. don't mash the go pedal out of corners like in the daily driver 4 cylinder!!!

Handle like a boat? Doesn't feel like it in the car, pics on the track show a different story though! Car has the standard SL/R 5000 anti-roll bars front and rear. Aftermarket and thicker may be better.

Posted Image

They is old and not overly competitive, but you have a whole lot of fun in em. With sticky tyres you'll prolly want to fix up the axles/rear trailing arm mounts as well! This car will never go that way, will wait to build the hack.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 31 March 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

Don't use the speed comparison from bathurst 2004 as anything to go by, the A9X was running gearing that had it running out of revs halfway down Conrod. At Bathurst in 79, it ran 3.08 diff and with the tyres they ran, it could hold 3rd all the way up Mountain straight (Brock did in the top 10 shootout).

#21 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:49 AM

How stock was the lh engine there, i mean stock turbo supras run 14's atleast, i thought stock 308 torries ran 15.9?

My "308" isn't stock, I stated this :)
It's been Bored, Stroked, Ported and Polished among other things which I would have to dig up the receipts to check.

On the fuel consumption issue, in that supra beating car what sort of milage were you getting in the city if you dont mind me asking? Im guessing over 15L/100km?

Yep that's right, around 18-20L/100K's So maybe 300-350k's if lucky to a full standard 55L tank of surburbia and city driving (Highway isn't much better with the T350 and diff ratio sitting me at about 2500 rpms at 100/110)
I've never really measured it to be honest, but I seem to be constantly at a servo and virtually on a first name basis with the servo's around my area :)

Most definately not the best fuel consumption (compared to say the RX7 or skyline/supra)... And I'm running a small carby for my block! I could definately see a very big performance increase by changing carbies, but it would become like turning a bucket upside down in terms of fuel consumption, right now, she goes fast enough and uses enough fuel for me :P

But considering all this, if fuel consumption was a big concern, you wouldn't be looking for a performance car, and certainly wouldn't even be thinking of an old v8!

I used to bitch and moan about the fuel consumption of my 202, I honestly couldn't care how much my 308 drinks, the heads she turns and how tough it sounds offsets it in my book - get what I pay for :)

Don't use the speed comparison from bathurst 2004 as anything to go by, the A9X was running gearing that had it running out of revs halfway down Conrod. At Bathurst in 79, it ran 3.08 diff and with the tyres they ran, it could hold 3rd all the way up Mountain straight (Brock did in the top 10 shootout)

Huh? The A9X in that holden speed comparison was THE a9x Brock drove, it wasn't even restored, it was completely original and preserved (this is even stated in the video by the commentators).

The a9x was doing 200 down conrod straight and the supercar sucked it's headlights out, which I'd be worried if it didn't.

Edited by Loki, 01 April 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#22 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

[quote name='Loki' date='Apr 1 2006, 12:49 PM'] [QUOTE]Huh? The A9X in that holden speed comparison was THE a9x Brock drove, it wasn't even restored, it was completely original and preserved (this is even stated in the video by the commentators).

The a9x was doing 200 down conrod straight and the supercar sucked it's headlights out, which I'd be worried if it didn't. [/quote]
They used to change the diff gears to suit the track, as the V8 supercars do. So obviously it was preserved with a lower ratio in.

The VY won purely on gearing....

What about LH350 (i think thats his name) that was on here not long ago. He's got an LH with a 350 which is built as a track car and he reckons it is very predictable and goes great around the track.

#23 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

The skill level of the driver also plays a part in this also. I think a skilled driver can do the same shit in a Torry compared to an average driver in one of the new cars that have been mentioned.

Besides that, the handling of an LH or LX can always be improved by altering its suspension components, wheel and tyre dimensions and compound. It's lesser braking ability compared to the more superior braking ability of a VN commodore could be matched with hopperstoppers al round the car.

Firm steering has never worried me. It's all part of it being a muscle car and it's good exercise. :D

:clappin: Nice bonnet scoop :clappin:
Not bad spare neither!

#24 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

yeah im basically getting an idea of what a torana is capable of. As i want to have fun on the track with whatever car i get. I am still undecided although the comments ive got here are promising. I guess ill have to go and get a ride in both an rx7 and hotted up torry to get a real idea of their characteristics.

#25 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

Don't use the speed comparison from bathurst 2004 as anything to go by, the A9X was running gearing that had it running out of revs halfway down Conrod. At Bathurst in 79, it ran 3.08 diff and with the tyres they ran, it could hold 3rd all the way up Mountain straight (Brock did in the top 10 shootout)

Huh? The A9X in that holden speed comparison was THE a9x Brock drove, it wasn't even restored, it was completely original and preserved (this is even stated in the video by the commentators).

The a9x was doing 200 down conrod straight and the supercar sucked it's headlights out, which I'd be worried if it didn't.

As you say, the A9X was doing 200, it should have done around 260 in it's day, it was running 3.55 gears rather than the 3.08 they ran at Bathurst. Yes it's not restored, but it was not in Bathurst trim. That car was used after Bathurst in 79 by HDT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users