48 replies to this topic

#1 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:05 AM

I purchased a set of King Spring lows for the rear of my car after there claims of lowering 25-35mm, so I took the standard springs out and put the King Lows in.

Total drop of 10-15mm, too say I am pissed off is an understatement. Also saw and spoke to 3 other owners with same springs in same cars and all the same answers there Lows make the car stand like a 4WD still.

Can I have the springs pressed or do I need to get a custom set made to lower the rear more?

#2 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:10 PM

New springs will sag a little in time. You can get your old ones reset to whatever height you want, i had 30mm taken out of one side and 40mm on the other to get the car level. Turned out i lowered it a bit too much and had to install raised spring insulators so it would stop rubbing the tyres.

#3 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:28 AM

The 25-35mm lower refers to a standard vehicle when new, the original springs that you took out have sagged over the past 28 years. If you purchased the springs from the manufacturer they may exchange them for a different set, if you remove them with any damage. Otherwise it will cost you another $130 for a new set.

#4 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

Sadly I cant imagine my car with stock springs sitting another 25mm (1" higher) it was/is already high.

If they have sagged 1" the car would of needed step ladders to get in and out of, I think the kings are just a high spring, once you buy them they know you cant do much but use them or loose them?

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:28 PM

The stock rear springs in my LX had sagged so badly, that when I replaced the pump up air shocks in the back with some H/D shocks, the arse started dragging on the ground. So I installed some H/D lowered rear Pedders springs and the arse lifetd by 100 MM. Sad, but true.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:08 AM

Just tell the guys you are buying the springs from what you are trying to achieve rather than trying to be the expert and asking for a specific spring. You have little come back if you've asked for a specific item and they've provided you with what you've asked for. On the upside, most places are fairly understanding and will exchange.

#7 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:36 PM

I actually bought a set of Kings off of a mate who ran them in his LH around Symmons Plains for one meet and then took them out and threw them back in the box. Sat the car up an inch higher in the rear and made it real nervous to drive.

I took the Lovells out of mine and put these same Kings springs into mine and found exactly the same thing!
They were identicle to the Lovells that were in mine, same free height, coils etc. even put them in the press and compared them but were apparently identicle springs except one set was Yellow and the other was Blue!

With the Lovells in the Hatch just tucks the tyres in the guards and with the Kings in there is a good 20mm clearance between top of tyre and Guard lip, so about 30mm higher.

Maybe its just something to do with the Kings springs!!

#8 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:20 PM

Just tell the guys you are buying the springs from what you are trying to achieve rather than trying to be the expert and asking for a specific spring. You have little come back if you've asked for a specific item and they've provided you with what you've asked for. On the upside, most places are fairly understanding and will exchange.

Not trying to be the expert but these kings are ment to be the lowest spring available for LH-X.

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:18 PM

Oh, OK. Weird. I went Lovell's with mine. The suspension place recommended them, told me the ride height, and that's what I ended up with. Hope you can find some joy.

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

Oh, OK. Weird. I went Lovell's with mine. The suspension place recommended them, told me the ride height, and that's what I ended up with. Hope you can find some joy.

any pics yella of its lowered stance?

Im going to try get a few sets of SUPER low springs custom made from 1 big spring supplier, so if anyone needs a set of LOWERED springs let me know. PM.

#11 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:33 PM

I have been quoted a good price for some 2inch lowered King Springs because my hatch was a country car and had bigger springs fitted to it. My springs are shot as the car leans on the right hand side rear. I understand that it will be 2 inches from standard height but as with anything new won't they need to settle in until they adjust?

TUFF

#12 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:34 PM

I have been quoted a good price for some 2inch lowered King Springs because my hatch was a country car and had bigger springs fitted to it. My springs are shot as the car leans on the right hand side rear. I understand that it will be 2 inches from standard height but as with anything new won't they need to settle in until they adjust?

TUFF

How much and can you get any more sets?

If there 2" lower then thats 1" lower then the King Lows, 2" would be perfect.

#13 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

I dunno about pedders red's in the rear, but i got 40mm lower springs for the front and it dropped my ride height a lot, and made the car handle a lot better.

I plan on getting some pedders for the rear end, but i've got an LPG tank in the boot, so i need to speak with them on what springs i need to get the ride height i desire. Probably not as low as in the front, due to the extra weight of the LPG tank and cradle. I'll make sure i take the car in with a FULL tank of LPG as well. So it's at full weight to get the ride height right. Something you need to remember when trying to get the right ride height.

My ford, it was sitting nicly on kings lows, pretty sure they are lows and not superlows, until i had it converted to LPG, now with a full tank of LPG & more than 1/4 tank petrol, the rear end sits a bit lower than the front. I don't have the cash to do anything about it atm tho, which is a pitty......

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#14 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:40 AM

I dunno about pedders red's in the rear, but i got 40mm lower springs for the front and it dropped my ride height a lot, and made the car handle a lot better.

I plan on getting some pedders for the rear end, but i've got an LPG tank in the boot, so i need to speak with them on what springs i need to get the ride height i desire. Probably not as low as in the front, due to the extra weight of the LPG tank and cradle. I'll make sure i take the car in with a FULL tank of LPG as well. So it's at full weight to get the ride height right. Something you need to remember when trying to get the right ride height.

My ford, it was sitting nicly on kings lows, pretty sure they are lows and not superlows, until i had it converted to LPG, now with a full tank of LPG & more than 1/4 tank petrol, the rear end sits a bit lower than the front. I don't have the cash to do anything about it atm tho, which is a pitty......

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Fronts are never a problem for torana's as the weight is there, lowered springs are normally that for the front, low.

The rears unfortunately doesnt have enough weight in a torana, standard tank holds around the 55L mark when full? Bugger all, apart from that theres no weight in the rear, nothing to bring it down.

#15 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

I just bought King Springs for my hatch not sure if they are lows or super lows and i think it looks mean although the rear tyres need to be 50's.
Posted Image

#16 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:01 PM

King dont do super lows for torana, they are lows, the rear still sits fairly higher
then the front.

#17 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

The insulator is still in although i was told to take it out i would rather not.

#18 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

The insulator is still in although i was told to take it out i would rather not.

You couldn't cut it down some could you? Altho i dunno how legal that would be....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#19 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:05 AM

You couldn't cut it down some could you? Altho i dunno how legal that would be....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Cut down the rubber insulator?

You can buy different thickness ones from Pedders, bit easier then trying to shave done rubber.

#20 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

The spacers are only about 6mm, not a huge drop if you remove it

#21 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

Cheers

ToranaGuy

You can buy different thickness ones from Pedders, bit easier then trying to shave done rubber.

nah he means cut the spring down............... like cut one coil off it....

#22 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:56 AM

Cheers

ToranaGuy

nah he means cut the spring down............... like cut one coil off it....

No you cant cut the springs down on the rear, they have progressive top and bottom.
Talking about the top rubber insulators.

#23 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:41 AM

Sorry for not going in the direction of the topic, but when you quote someone, you can delete sections of text that aren't necessary for your argument. And you don't really need to quote when you're responding immediately to someone's argument.

#24 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:30 PM

I got standard height Kings a few months back and the front end is sitting alot higher than it used to with the older springs. Bear in mind it has no motor but the difference is still huge.

#25 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

havent been fitted yet,but from autobarn we got some Kings super lows v8 springs for a lh lx,they had to order them in,but only took a few days

cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users