HDT A9X ....Where Is It Now

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 _hurst_

_hurst_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

Found this old picture I took back in the 80's.....

We had the Caltex service station in Goulburn, NSW.....

If anyone remembers passing by in the late 80's early 90's you would have noticed Toranas, GT Falcons, Chargers etc..
always parked on the forecourt......

Photo shows the HDT A9X sitting on the Mobil HDT trailer locked up in our workshop overnight....

The car was being towed from or to Melbourne for display and the Holden HZ ute towing it
did the timming gear.....

We fixed the timming gear that evening, the crew booked into the motel and we minded the A9X....

No one has seen the pictures since I took them, so it is certainly something different...(took 6 photos in all)...

It would be good to know where the 05 car is now so I can take a picture of it some 20 years later....hurst...Attached File  IMG.jpg   500.23K   381 downloads

#2 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

More Pics?

Go Here to get the Microsoft PowerToy Image Resizer if that helps.

#3 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

Now Dazz before all the lunatics chime in, we must presume you have been 'away' for a while.

The HDT A9X is in Queensland and part of the Bowden collection.
It occasionally comes out of one of the biggest touring car collections in australia, to be displayed or ecen given a good run.

Google Bowden's Own and you will find it.

It has never been 'lost' and in fact enjoys a well known history.

I hope this helps,

Great pic by the way, and welcome to the forum.

Welby

#4 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

http://www.bowdensow.../car-collection

#5 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

hehehe that was a long search!!

#6 _hurst_

_hurst_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

Troops.....I was aware that Bowdens had one of the cars....

What I was never sure of was how many HDT cars were there and

was this car we had at the servo Brocks car or a promotional car....

Owning GT Falcons and a couple of monaros...you can tell Toranas were

not my strong suit.....but its never to late to learn....

thanks for any info.....hurst...

#7 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Looks like the real deal..notice the paint off the rear bumper near the 3XY sticker....plus has the real 15 x 10 ACA Globe wheels...reckon its Bowdens one.
R

#8 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Interesting to see ratchet strap tie downs though.

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Mate !c If you had them in 79/80 you were king dick.
R

#10 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:11 PM

Hi
Looking at the Mobil HDT trailer im guessing photos was mid 1980s and that the hatch was still Peter Brocks as he kept his 79 winner for quite some time.
Chears Neil

#11 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

Sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Looks like the real deal to me...

#12 _hurst_

_hurst_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

Thanks...Looks like it might be the real mccoy....I'm glad I found the old photos...

The crew at the time did say it was one of Brocks cars but we were never sure how many A9X's he had...

Neil, you are right about the date...it was 1987, one of the photo's has my young bloke sitting on the roof

of the car and he was 1 at the time......

One of the crew driving the ute might see the picture and add their side of the story........hurst.....

Edited by hurst, 01 December 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#13 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Looks like the last car with the tan trim and typical HDT torsion bar under the rear.

#14 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

on a side note, when I saw this at the bowdens place they said that this was the only race car that Brock ever had an attachment to, apparently he felt the rest were just hunks of metal

it looked a little sad the day I saw it, had a flat tyre and battery :sad:

Posted Image

#15 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

that the 1979 car 100%

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

and I told the seller in 1990 he was dreaming at $19,000....I have since given myself about 300 uppercuts....
R

#17 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

Mate !c If you had them in 79/80 you were king dick.
R

even I had ratchet tie downs in 76-77 for my motocross bikes

#18 _hurst_

_hurst_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

Rocket....In the photo the car has the light (tan) coloured trim and also a light coloured steering wheel....

When you say it is the last car.....how many other cars were there....

Is the Brock/Richards car (Bathurst)....another car or the same one...

Wondering what the small silver cannister below the bumper and above the L of Holden on the fuel tank is....

My knowledge on these old race cars is doubling everday with the help of this site.....thanks....hurst...

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

Posted Image

Its Kinda like seeing Optimus Prime die in Transformers 2... We should never have to see our hero's like this suffering! LOL!

I can understand why Peter Brock loved this car! Its a friggin Torana!

#20 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

Rocket....In the photo the car has the light (tan) coloured trim and also a light coloured steering wheel....

When you say it is the last car.....how many other cars were there....

Is the Brock/Richards car (Bathurst)....another car or the same one...

Wondering what the small silver cannister below the bumper and above the L of Holden on the fuel tank is....

My knowledge on these old race cars is doubling everday with the help of this site.....thanks....hurst...

Hi Hurst, I was just referring to the last run in the hatch at bathurst, not sure how many cars they actually had. REDA9X could tell you more.

#21 _hurst_

_hurst_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

My question earlier about the Brock/Richards car....

It has just been answered....I can see it sitting alongside the Brock car in the photo...

I will have to start using my glasses.......hurst....

#22 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

I was going to post to this yesterday but... anyways I notice the car would appear to have brown interior which would make it the 79 Bathurst winner: 78 car was black interior

But for 79 Brock wanted Brown as less likely to get to hot inside so they used a UC interior in the car (source Chris Bowden) as an aside the cars had to run a full intderior etc but the teams would take the carpets and a sunvisors which fouled the roll cage anyway were rolled up in a bundle and stuffed under the passagenger seat, The Bowdens were contacted some time back by someone claiming to have the orignal carpet etc from the 79 car and want big $ for it, they didnt bite.

#23 _dan327_

_dan327_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

Its Kinda like seeing Optimus Prime die in Transformers 2... We should never have to see our hero's like this suffering! LOL!

Yes, the A9X tyre is an on going problem, not to mention battery's that die! Each week that one tyre is pumped up, would be sacrilegious to put a tube in the tyre, as they are for road cars. Likewise the answer is not putting it up on jack stands, making it look like a 4wd.. The CCA magnesium wheels are very porous and let the air escape, its just part of owning these great old cars.

I really hope no one thinks it is because we do not love and respect this mighty old girl, as it is one of the most important and loved cars in the collection.

Attached is a pic of it with the 78 car (on the left) tyres pumped up!

Cheers,
Dan Bowden

Attached Files

#24 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image

Yes, the A9X tyre is an on going problem, not to mention battery's that die! Each week that one tyre is pumped up, would be sacrilegious to put a tube in the tyre, as they are for road cars. Likewise the answer is not putting it up on jack stands, making it look like a 4wd.. The CCA magnesium wheels are very porous and let the air escape, its just part of owning these great old cars.

I really hope no one thinks it is because we do not love and respect this mighty old girl, as it is one of the most important and loved cars in the collection.

Attached is a pic of it with the 78 car (on the left) tyres pumped up!

Cheers,
Dan Bowden

Didn't stop me loving seeing the beast in the the flesh, oh and I completley ignored what you were saying about the Falcon GT's.... I was too busy drooooling on the Ranas :tongue4:

#25 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Just saw this thread.
The car on the trailer is the Brock 79 car. I know a few people from Goulburn who took pictures of it at the time. Brock still owned this car up until 1993, the only reason he sold it was finanicial problems and tax evasion after the split with Holden. He got $33,000 for it. The car was then sold again in 1998 to the Bowden collection for $150,000.
This car started racing at the start of the 79 season and did Sandown and Bathurst, it's last race was in NZ in 79.
The second car in the Bowden collection is the car that Brock drove in 78. It did about half of the 78 season, including Sandown and Bathurst, then it was Harveys car in 79. This is the car Ron Harrop destroyed at Bathurst. It was restored by Jim Shepherd, a coach builder contracted by Holden to put into a museum. Holden didn't follow through, Jim kept the car into the 80s and it was sold, eventually making it's way into the Bowden collection in the late 90's.

The trim is UC because this was a shell that was a spare, the trim had been removed over the previous 2 years of racing the other cars, the cshell was returned to Holden and UC trim fitted, brock didn't know anything about it till he went down to the factory and to quote Mike Prowse, "Brock thought it was Pretty Trick".
Those Globe wheels were never used on this car, they were fitted because the Jongbloeds were getting hard to come by and at one stage the original 79 cars brakes were removed and swapped with later Commodore ones, the Jongbloeds didn't clear them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users