Evolution of the Famous "Pincher"

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 _PSI_

_PSI_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:05 AM

Hi all,

After reading threads on this site, I firstly wanted to say to all the members who have posted their projects and discussed their plans, that I am very impressed, a pat on the back to all and very well done guys! awsome stuff!!!!! :clap:

In light of this I decided to give you guys as sneak preview of what I have and what is soon to return to the track after a long time in the making. I have placed pictures below which show the evolution of the Pincher, I will make brief comments in between the pictures and will release the final picture after approval on media release from my major sponsors. I hope you Torana fans enjoy my ride as much as I enjoy yours..

History of the 1971 Holden Torana:-

The Torana was originally built by no other and well known and respected racer from the days of Castlereagh, Roy Thomas. The car was known as the famous "Pincher" which ran in the late 1970's high 9 second 1/4 mile passes with a SBC injected engine. This car was one of the "First" four-link drag cars in Australia, as previously most cars including Pro Stock cars of that era where ladder bars. I purchased the car in 1993 from the previous owner, Tony Peli, who had originally purchased it from Roy himself. Tony updated the engine to a Blown and injected SBC running a 6-71 blower and two speed glide. The car ran several meetings in Queensland and it ran the final of the first every Wild Bunch meeting in Queensland against fellow racers and in particular the well known and respected "John Payne" in his corvette. The torana in the hands of Peli ran a best of 8.7 seconds @ 161 mph. This was in the 80's. When I sighted the vehicle for sale and done my home work and found out it's history as I remembered this car back in the days of Castelreagh where I rand my own Street Car a GTR LJ Torana, I knew I had to have it. So a deal was done and it sat in my garage.

Rod Andrews of Andrews Race Cars was contracted to update the car with chassis work, struts, etc, to accomodate a new buick SBC (350) with a lenco gear box and an up dated version of ARC's four link, all the chassis work was done, new tin work, the body was sand blasted and repaired mostly file finish and a new coat of paint was applied. The car on its debute in 1996, to everyones supprise ran straight and true, for a 7.60ET and 179MPH with the SBC 350 cube, Rootes blower and lenco gear box. Unfortuantely Eastern Creek closed down and the car never really archived its full potential with very few runs in hand. in 1999, the car ran one meeting at the 1999 Calder Park Top Fuel Championships with the Grant O'Rouke ex-PSI blower on it. At that meeting and due to the new techonology with the PSI and being not experienced with tunes, etc, we hurt the engine at the 1000 feet mark which was shut down at that stage and the car still rolled over the 1200feet mark to astound us and record a 7.8ET at 175MPH! and that is with the engine shut down well before. As there was no track in Sydney, the car was garaged and when the announcement came that the new WSID was being built, we contracted Rod Andrews to perform his magic again! and the torana underwent it's second major rebuilt, to bring it up to spec's. With the old PSI Blower sold and now with the latest PSI Supercharger, the engine under going a rebuilt with all new internals, with the update of the MSD Pro Mag and with update of the Lenco gear box, the new Dry Sump deal being included, and also Updating the Four Link to Rod's newest version as used and proven by major teams in the states, the car had new paint applied, new lexan windows, rewired, the list is to long and the $$$$ just flew out the window, and now, she is ready to return, better than before.

With new sponsors on board, I and the crew are excited to return to the track in the very near future. Our sponsors are currently arranging a media release, so I will let you guys know when this happens. Anyway, I hope I did not bore you but at least you have some idea of this history to this car. My plans? well we will run in Competition (BB/Gas) and also Supercharged Outlaws and use this class for testing purposes. My aim? to reset the WSID Track Record and to get the "Pincher" to run a 6 second pass. The weight? well we put the car on a diet, did all we could, but we still come in around 200 pounds over weight so we are looking again at the weight situation. Current weight with driver is 2810pounds. The car should come in for BB/Gas duties at 2600pounds. The car actually weighs 2400 pounds but due to the pound per cube weight break we had to add weight.

Now the pictures below:- (Enjoy)

Posted Image

The Pincher back at castlreagh and record holder for E-Gas. Which to date we understand this record was never beaten and still stands.

Posted Image

The Pincher in the hands of Tony Peli in Queensland after he purchased it from Roy and applied a new paint job and SBC engine with Blower.

Posted Image

The pincher, now in my hands and after its major first rebuilt in 93-94. This picture was taken at the Eastern Creek Track on the car's first debut and burn out, during its licensing passes which was required by ANDRA. A younger Greg Shultz ANDRA chief steward undertook this proceedure.

Posted Image

The torana return to the track at the 1999 Top Fuel Championships at Calder Race Track Victoria. This time with the ex-Grant O'Rouke PSI Blower. This was the cars first burnout with the PSI and the dreaded run which hurt the engine, (due to our stupidity!!!!) but shut down at the 1000 foot mark she rolled over the 1200 foot mark with still recording a 7.8ET at 175mph. We were all stunned by the times considering we had no set up to her. She showed a lot of potential, now the problem was to sort it out and get back down the track.

Posted Image

SNEAK PREVIEW!, Sorry guys that is all I am allowed to show you at this time. But this is the new PSI and the new engine for the car, the picture was taken around a month ago, when the vehicle was being refitted, after it's Second Major Update.

She is now ready to return. The only thing that is required to be done to the car is to have Rod Andrews scale the car very soon (HOPEFULLY) next few days from the date of this post and a wheel alignment.

I call this "Evolution"

Cheers.

PSI

#2 _knighty_

_knighty_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

no replys yet??
i can only assume everyone elses simply speechles.
may i say (coming from chrysler roots) awesome..

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Welcome PSI
The drag racing fraternity are gonna love you.
Keep you helmet on mate, your brain will no doubt be picked to pieces.

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:09 AM

Wow and welcome, what can I say? So many questions but where to start lol

No doubt the questions will come.

Cheers
Herne

#5 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

huge effort PSI, well done. Cant wait 2 c end result. :clap:

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:32 AM

Wow mate, Thank you for sharing your vehicle with us!

That is a really interesting history, and i reckon its UNREAL to be able to own a piece of racing history as you do.

Can I ask for a few names of who did your work ohter than rod? Ive been lucky enough to meet rod a couple of times through my engine builder and ive seen rod's work. Very nice indeed!

I'll make sure to keep an eye out at the track for you, and hopefully youve found our new drag racing section and can talk to us more about your races/times etc!

Cheers.

#7 _PSI_

_PSI_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

Thanks guys, your comments are greatly appreciated. I am happy to answer whatever is thrown at me :D well I do my best anyway.

Must say I have gone into some of your sites (members that have links) and guys, all is awsome, as you can gather by now I am a Holden nut case (as my friends call me) but I am a Torana man all the way does not matter what model it is, there sure is some awsome cars out there from street to show to strip. Well done to all.

Feel free to contact me whenever and please feel free to pop into the Pit area at the track in WSID or if I rock up to a track near you. Will also be doing the show rounds, so I look forward in meeting with you guys and also checking out your rides.

Till then,,,

:driving: :burnout: all the way down the track :clap:

Regards to all

PSI

#8 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

welcome aboard :spoton: can't wait to see the finished car, love the pics , when will we see it in action?

#9 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

can be summed up in 2 words.... holy shit!!!!! well done

#10 _PSI_

_PSI_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

Wow mate, Thank you for sharing your vehicle with us!

That is a really interesting history, and i reckon its UNREAL to be able to own a piece of racing history as you do.

Can I ask for a few names of who did your work ohter than rod? Ive been lucky enough to meet rod a couple of times through my engine builder and ive seen rod's work. Very nice indeed!

I'll make sure to keep an eye out at the track for you, and hopefully youve found our new drag racing section and can talk to us more about your races/times etc!

Cheers.

Hi tiny... thank's for the kind words I agree, there is history in her and it was my pleasure to share my car with you guys. As for Rod Andrews, well I agree with you, he is amazing. All of his car's are straight and true runners.

A lot of people have played a part in this car, there are two many, but I will list a few in brief; These people still somewhere along the line play a part with the car.

Please note that there is not preference in the order that these people or companies have played a part or as I listed them.

1. John Skola (Skola Developments)

2. Brett Gillispie of Gillispie Race Engines

3. Stan and Norm Sainty of Sainty Engineering

4. Rod Andrews (Andrews Race Cars)

5. Rodger Orlanda of PSI (USA)

6. Joe Lapari of Laparis Auto Electrical

7. Fabre Australia and Manley (USA)

8. Darren Moode of Moode Motorsports

9. Joe Guaci of Pro Fab Fabrications Wollongong

10. Crow Cams

11. Stroud Safety (USA)

12. RaceQuip Safety (USA)

13. Go Gear Racing Services (WA)

14. ATH Hydraulics / Enerpac

15. Ziggy of Ziggy Smash and Promotions (Villawood NSW)

16. South-West Automotives (Bankstown)

17. Isssa Paints (Villawood NSW)

18. Wayne Topp (Victoria)

19. Wayne Newby of Newby Engineering

20. Awsome Printing

21. Jon Andronoplous (Mopar Pro Stock Team)

22. Rob Ambroussi - Top Alcohol Funny Car Driver

23. Nick and Gens Automotives

I sincerly thank them all.

OH!!!!! better not forget my family, wife and son and relo's without them, there would be no Torana, and finally, my crew!. No one gets paid for their time, they live in passion for what they love and enjoy, that is, Drag Racing and the Torana.

Regards

PSI

PS: Sorry mate, you asked for a few names, guess I got carried away :rolleyes:

#11 _PSI_

_PSI_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

can be summed up in 2 words.... holy shit!!!!! well done

:spoton:

Thank you!

Regards

PSI

#12 _PSI_

_PSI_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

welcome aboard  :spoton:  can't wait to see the finished car, love the pics , when will we see it in action?

Hi, I am speechless by such a great bunch of people, you all made me feel very welcomed and whilst I cannot reply to eveyone personally to thank them, please everyone accept this reply, as "THANK YOU ALL"!! for making me feel at home.

The Torana is ready as I type, oh I forgot to mention, Mick of Micks Detailing, did an awsome job to clean her up.

We are currently waiting for our sponsors to finsih their media release, then I can show the car as a whole, and so far our intentions are to conduct a private test session at WSID in the near future so I can renwew my licence, get some type of passes under my belt, as it has been a long time, make sure our base tune (Detuned engine) is working well, and that the car performes well and is behaved (we have no reason to doubt that she will do otherwisde).

We are aiming for the Nitro Champs next month at WSID, whilst we have not decided which class (whether run her in comp BB/Gas or Supercharged Outlaws) to race in we will make the decision soon. I am leaning towards Outlaws and keep the engine detuned, only because the car is new, my track time needs to be lifted, and we need to be on top of things. All we want to do is get some laps in, does not matter if we win or lose, we do not expect to win, but keep in mind that the index is between 7 seconds and 8 secinds for Outlaws, she will easily run in the 7 second zone on the base tune. We will be happy with that deal.

BB/Gas index is 7.46 seconds and we know that we can run this time and under it with ease, but it is early days yet so, guess I am leaning to Outlaws class.

Hope I answered your question without confusing you or anyone else, as I seemed to have confussed myself!! :blink:

Regards

PSI

#13 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:36 PM

Fantastic car you got there, what a piece of history. I cant help but notice that the engine gets higher with every new owner :D
Absolutely love it!!!
Awestruck is the look on my face. :clappin: :clappin:

Edited by ChiaLX, 09 April 2006 - 12:37 PM.

#14 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

As a lot of blokes have said above, you've got an awesome machine there! I'm sure you get lots of attention at the drags with the blower on top!!

I too will be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for final photos!!

Once again - welcome, and great car!

Keith

#15 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

Awsome machine & welcome to the forum.

#16 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

Christ that thing looks quick even when standing still in the photos

#17 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

*Jawdrops*

#18 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

PSI: Thats an impressive list of names mate, and i know what its like to have a list of people who really have helped put together what is a massive undertaking!!

A forum is only as good as the sum of its memebers and weve got a really great bunch of Torana enthusiats assembled here! It really is a privelidge to be involved with it all, and get to see so many great cars in so many different forms!

I look forward to seeing you round the traps in ever sense of the word! Cant wait to see what you run!

Out of curiosity, are you taking it out to the nostalgias on the 23rd of April? I'll be out there playing with my engine builder's FED ( and i mean playing.. Ive been a slack arse crew member!)

Cheers mate
Tiny.

#19 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

PSI, welcome to the forum i'm sure you will love it here.

Well what can i say that others haven't already.....thats an impressive Torana with an even more impressive history, I am looking forward to seeing the Pincher in person and meeting the man thats behind it all PSI.

Cheers
Steve

#20 _PSI_

_PSI_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hi all.

Tiny the meeting you were referring to we were contemplating about entering, however, thought it was best to see if we can do the private test session at WSID and all goes well (Fingers crossed).

We are very keen that all goes to plan and the debut will be the Nitro Champs.

Who is your engine builder?.

I also want to say that this site is fantastic, a lot of good reading here and great pics of cars, etc. Wow have I got some reading to do, does not matter I enjoy it.

Regards All.

PSI

#21 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

Gday PSI,

Cliff Phillips from Rock Ape is my mate, He's done all my motor work and weve become mates over a long period of time. He's running his FED at the nostalgias ( providing it all comes together!)

Looks like i'll have to make it to the nitros! and i think your doing the right thing with the private testing/shakedown before you run it! You know what your doing mate!

Cheers

#22 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

Looks like a good contender for the next GMH-Torana drag day!!! :burnout:
Pity he wasn't around a few weeks ago :furious: would have been an intersting pairing against critta?

#23 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hehehe i dont think anything would have been interesting paired against PSI! thats not demeaning any of the cars there.. its just in a completely different league!

Would have been UNREAL to see though! and I hope that some of the hard core drag racers of the forum can ttend the next day! PSI, 830HP, Lostit (with a functioning gearbox!) are the ones that immediately spring to mind but i know there are heaps more!

Bring on the drags!

#24 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

psi ,

congrats on a nice piece of gear you have there , wishing all goes well for you while getting a few passes happening .

enjoy and cheers

#25 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

psi ,

congrats on a nice piece of gear you have there , wishing all goes well for you while getting a few passes happening .

enjoy and cheers

All I'm reading is: "You wanna race me?" heh heh

Beautiful machine buddy! Proud to have you on the Forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users