anti intrusion bars

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _keaton_

_keaton_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

i was just wondering if all lx's had anti intrusion bars in the doors as i have been told only the sports models did?

#2 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Not to sure keaton , i do know that the very early LHs didnt have any
i had a lh 3/74 light wait bodySLR, It was the same as the L34 body :spoton:

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:38 PM

maybe late LX..but certainly all UC doors have the bars in them.

#4 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

The bars came out standard as part of ADR somehwere between 76 and 77 not 100% sure on date unless I look into it, but its not just torana's, every vehicle built from that day forward will have the bars fitted, whether it be an A9X, volvo, toyota corolla or a Kia, for any car to be produced it needs to comply to the ADR's applicable from that day forward.

So if your car has the intrusion bars listed on your compliance tag your car needs them, if there no longer there your car is illegal and defectable. They dont weigh much more then the early LX and LH doors, just a little added safety for the dinosaurs.

#5 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:04 PM

the only doors I've seen withouth the bars are out of '74 models. I sourced a set after alot of looking around. You save about 6kgs per door.

What is light weight about the L34? Whats different apart from the intrusionless doors?

#6 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

6kg per door...then its more than the intrusion bars. they are only 2 or 3mm pressed tin. not much to them.

i wanted to pull mine out to save a couple of kg, but figured it was just too damn hard for minimal gain.

Edited by brett_32i, 10 April 2006 - 07:37 PM.

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

No weigh (pun inteneded) in the world intrusion bars add 6kg, I got a feeling there was 5kg of body filler in those doors Bomber.

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

ADR 29 for side impact strength. Dunno about the date it came into effect, but late LXs, from around mid 1977 onwards had intrusion bars in the doors. Earlier LXs and LHs didn't.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

ADR 29 for side impact strength. Dunno about the date it came into effect, but late LXs, from around mid 1977 onwards had intrusion bars in the doors. Earlier LXs and LHs didn't.

That's what I would have said.

Does anyone know about Hatches? Do all hatch doors have anti-intrusion bars?

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

That's what I would have said.

Does anyone know about Hatches? Do all hatch doors have anti-intrusion bars?

They go by the date that ADR was applied, it could be a custom made 6 door stretch torana if its made after ADR29 it will need intrusion bars fitted to every door.

I cant see what would make a hatch subject to meeting the strict ADR's?

Like said before if your car meets ADR29 and you dont have intrusion bars fitted, your car is defectable and your doors have been replaced at some time, no its not a dealer fitted option, no its not rare if your dont have them.

#11 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

Well the way I measured it was I had 2 doors, both fully gutted. One intruison, one without. I hopped on the scaled holding them both seperatly and subtracted my weight. The scales weren't accurate as a hell, I tried over and over and got between 4 - 6 with the fronts and did the same for the rears and found them to be a kg or so less obviously.

It's hard to give a 100% accurate number but I'd say there would have to be a minimum of 13kgs difference across all doors.

You can feel the difference, just picking them up to move them to weigh, the intrusonless is like a feather, just grab it and walk it around where as the LX door was a bit of a strain.

Edited by QIKSLR, 12 April 2006 - 08:52 AM.

#12 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

Like said before if your car meets ADR29 and you dont have intrusion bars fitted, your car is defectable and your doors have been replaced at some time, no its not a dealer fitted option, no its not rare if your dont have them.

LS1LX - Yes, hatches have them too. You will most probably find that Toranas made just before the deadline would have had anti-intrusion bars as well, as every car made from that date has to have them. GMH wouldn't have wanted to get caught with a few cars on the assembly line without intrusion bars, and would have wanted to have the new production process well sorted out by the deadline.

Just in general terms, ADR 29 is to do with side impact strength, not necessarily anti-intrusion bars. If a manufacturer had made vehicles with strong enough doors and pillars to pass the tests then they wouldn't have necessarily had to fit anti-intrusion bars - it was just the easiest way to do it.

#13 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

i have a 5/76 LX sedan with NO intrusion bars......so those doors are going on my UC to save a lil weight....and the much better UC doors onto the LX so keep your pants on and the comments about wasting doors on a UC to yourselves

#14 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:39 AM

I understand the rules Dangerous, direct that at the guys asking the q?

#15 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

If people are removing the intrusion bars, or fitting doors without them to LXs and UCs that should have them, that's their business................ if the car is unregistered and never intended to be registered again.
What also concerns me is if and when these cars are sold/moved on is that the alteration probably wouldnt have been rectified and that the safety of whoever takes on the car next is compromised. I doubt whether pulling the door trims and looking for the bars is part of any standard rta inspection, or looking for any other evidence of lightening key structural components of the car.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 13 April 2006 - 09:32 AM.

#16 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:58 AM

I doubt whether pulling the door trims and looking for the bars is part of any standard rta inspection, or looking for any other evidence of lightening key structural components of the car.

you can tell if the door has intrusion bars without taking the door trims off. just have to look for the little spot welds in the jamb. unless someone has neatened that area when respraying the car.

#17 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

GMH wouldn't have wanted to get caught with a few cars on the assembly line without intrusion bars, and would have wanted to have the new production process well sorted out by the deadline.....

Not necessarily the case. Cars have the complianced date on the compliance plate, which is normally different to the build date. They would have just made sure all the non-intrusion bar cars where complianced prior to the cut-off date.

#18 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

Wind your window down, spread the rubber door belts, and you should be able to see them sitting against the outer skin of the door. Not to difficult at all to check if they are there or not.

#19 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hi Guys.

Yella SLuR said

"Cars have the complianced date on the compliance plate, which is normally different to the build date"

This is the case with imported cars, because the build date is put on the plate obviously when they are built, at their factory of origin, but the Compliance Plate (& date) is fitted in Australia at the importers storage yard or bond store. I've seen cars built overseas in 1989 & then Complianced in 1991 when they leave the bond store after sitting in storage for 2 years.

With Australian built cars, which is now only 5 types, Commodore (& others), Camry, Mits 380, Ford Falcon (& others) & the Territory. What I mean by 'others', is all the variations (utes Statesmans, Monaros, LTDs etc), all these cars are usually built & Complianced at the factory, on the same day or sometimes within a few days depending on their production schedule.

Dr Terry.

#20 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

RTS and Yella: for folks that visit this forum, checking if the bars are there shouldnt be a problem, as they know they should or shouldnt be there. Its unsuspecting folks(who would have no idea about adr29 intrusion bars etc) buying the cars that Im concerned about, and as I said....how many rta/rwc inspections would pick out that the bars are missing?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 13 April 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#21 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Dr Terry, still not unusual to find a difference of 1-2 months between built and compliance plates, even with factory cars. Dunno why, just what I've seen, must have something to do with the process/tracking of the cars through the plant.

#22 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

how many rta/rwc inspections would pick out that the bars are missing?

Thats exactly the point.

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

how many rta/rwc inspections would pick out that the bars are missing?

Thats exactly the point.

probably a lot more now it's been posted on a public forum they regularly look at.....

#24 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

What is light weight about the L34? Whats different apart from the intrusionless doors?

As i said , quickslr the first lh 74 torrys witch the L34s were bassed on
were lighter then the models that followed it
thay were know as light wait body shells . not just in the doors but in
The boot two, there was less steel bracing

cheers........

#25 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hi Guys.

Yella SLuR said

"Dr Terry, still not unusual to find a difference of 1-2 months between built and compliance plates, even with factory cars. Dunno why, just what I've seen, must have something to do with the process/tracking of the cars through the plant"

What cars or models are we talking about ? Holden didn't use 'Build Dates' until VN & they actually show the day/month/year, thety are that precise.

And what do you mean by factory cars ?

Dr Terry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users