lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

Well I didn't know whether to post this or not (but obviously I have) so apologies in advance if I offend anyone.

I bought this XY in Feb 2010 and sat it in my garage for a month whilst I bought a few parts for it. Did about three weeks work on it in March and sold it in April 2010 for a tidy profit. It was good to practise on as I haven't painted a car for a while and will be painting my hatch later this year.

Quick makeover involved a full repaint in vermillion fire, adding GT accessories such as side stripes, bonnet stripes, bonnet pins, driving lights, front spoiler etc. Changed the wheels and fitted globes mags with redwalls. Fixed up the interior and a tidy up of the boot and engine bay. Did all the work myself, except for the redwall tyres. Left the dash and steering wheel for the new owner to do.

Here's a few photo's,

Mick.

Attached Files

#2 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Great job,

so whats a repaint worth to fellow members?

tn

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

Its all practise Mick....and a nice one to work on too.
R

#4 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

came up great mick... finished product looks awesome mate .. cheers ben

#5 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Great job,

so whats a repaint worth to fellow members?

tn

Free for you, (only joking). I reckon painters earn their money. I wouldn't want to do it for a living. I spent about 80 hours on the XY for the repaint, including preparation, paint, detailing etc and that was going fast and taping up alot of things instead of removing them.

Its all practise Mick....and a nice one to work on too.
R

Thanks R and you're right, it's all practise. I actually like painting, it's the preparation work that sucks.

#6 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

Well I didn't know whether to post this or not (but obviously I have) so apologies in advance if I offend anyone.

I bought this XY in Feb 2010 and sat it in my garage for a month whilst I bought a few parts for it. Did about three weeks work on it in March and sold it in April 2010 for a tidy profit. It was good to practise on as I haven't painted a car for a while and will be painting my hatch later this year.

Quick makeover involved a full repaint in vermillion fire, adding GT accessories such as side stripes, bonnet stripes, bonnet pins, driving lights, front spoiler etc. Changed the wheels and fitted globes mags with redwalls. Fixed up the interior and a tidy up of the boot and engine bay. Did all the work myself, except for the redwall tyres. Left the dash and steering wheel for the new owner to do.

Here's a few photo's,

Mick.

gez you didnt muck around i know you said you wanted a quick turnaround can i have some of your motivation pills.see you at berrima if you are going .
rob

#7 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Ben, I was really happy with the end result. Catch up soon and talk torana's.

[gez you didnt muck around i know you said you wanted a quick turnaround can i have some of your motivation pills.see you at berrima if you are going .
rob

Hi Rob, yes it was a quickie. Not going on the Berrima run as we're celebrating Christmas in June. (I've got some weird family and friends)

#8 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hi Rob, yes it was a quickie. Not going on the Berrima run as we're celebrating Christmas in June. (I've got some weird family and friends)

Happy festivus!

]Seinfeld]

#9 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

for sure mick sounds good...

#10 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Ben, I was really happy with the end result. Catch up soon and talk torana's.

[gez you didnt muck around i know you said you wanted a quick turnaround can i have some of your motivation pills.see you at berrima if you are going .
rob

ah well newcastle then they cant have xmas in sept. i better not tell my dad how quickly you did it or he will be asking me questions its only getting its bodywork done now you should see the mess the last people have made but lucky its retreivable.now that youve broken the water by putting your ford on here i dont feel so wierd now if i do the same.see you soon.but looks like you did a good job

#11 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

top job well done, just need to toss the xa/b mirror's. go for tear drops.

#12 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

80 hours? Man I must be a slow worker. It takes ages for me to get a car ready for paint unless it's a good car that just needs a blow over.

Looks awesome anyway, seems like a lot of work for a car you're not keeping but it woulda been fun none the less.

#13 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

80 hours? Man I must be a slow worker. It takes ages for me to get a car ready for paint unless it's a good car that just needs a blow over.

Looks awesome anyway, seems like a lot of work for a car you're not keeping but it woulda been fun none the less.

Hi Heath,

You can prepare and paint a car in less than 40 hours if the body is reasonable and you're keeping it the same colour but you sacrifice on quality. I think a top quality job needs about 150 to 200 hours.

Anyway this car was just for practise and profit. I don't mind working hard if the pay is good.

Cheers Mick.

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

What a fantastic transformation, truly impressive work :)

Cheers
Herne

#15 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

top job well done, just need to toss the xa/b mirror's. go for tear drops.

I actually prefer those mirrors to the tear drop ones but you're right about tossing them. It also needed the GT gauges and steering wheel but they cost a fortune so I left it to the new owner.

#16 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

LOL I remember around Sydney a place advertising "One day auto paint"...
I must be slow too, spent around 150hrs just on the engine bay and around 10years just to paint the body. :dontknow:

#17 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

I was brokering a XB GT a few years back, & was almost blown over by the cost of the steering wheels!

I've paid less for GT's!

#18 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

I was brokering a XB GT a few years back, & was almost blown over by the cost of the steering wheels!

I've paid less for GT's!

ill make you cry then a couple of years ago i got an xbgt wheel of ebay for my gossy.$50 when i got there the bloke had a backyard full of cars all xbs he was renting and was told to loose the cars or else.he ended up just giving me the whole car and in perfect condition with a boot full of parts becuase he couldnt get the steering wheel off.it is now being turned into a apollo blue and silver gt replica.not bad for $50

#19 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

thats a very nice job youve done there! love the xy's! how was it to drive? go hard?

#20 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

thats a very nice job youve done there! love the xy's! how was it to drive? go hard?

It did drive nice for an XY. Strong 351 with about 400hp(at flywheel) with a great exhaust system and nice note but soft suspension, ususal brake fade etc.

They are a nice cruiser but give me a torana anyday.

#21 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

It did drive nice for an XY. Strong 351 with about 400hp(at flywheel) with a great exhaust system and nice note but soft suspension, ususal brake fade etc.

yes and no mick you should have kept it

#22 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

..... mick you should have kept it

Sorry Rob there's not a snowflakes chance in hell I'd be keepin a Ford permanently in my garage. :lol:

#23 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

..... mick you should have kept it

Sorry Rob there's not a snowflakes chance in hell I'd be keepin a Ford permanently in my garage. :lol:

its like coming out i spose its ok you can tell me i wont tell anyone hehehe there are closet ford owners everywhereAttached File  3350634001_1cec728951_s.jpg   4.63K   17 downloads

#24 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

In another life...I actually was living in Bathurst at the time.I owned a 351 XY Fairmont GS...cop this..Wild Violet..white interior..wish I had it now!!..anyway..one Thursday night..I did the race circuit run..as some will know..its the reverse of the race cicuit as it is a one way road..well it was at the time..anyway...down into Murrays...at about 120mph...200kph for the young ones...hit the picks at 500 m...OK so far...hit them again at 350m...bit ordinary...hit them at 250...NOTHING!!!...this is an auto by the way...SHEET!!!.....grab 2nd....pump like all shit...PULL!!!...MORE!!! SHIT!!! 1ST!!!..at 60mph! ...100KPH!!...eventually kicks down..locks the rears!!...slows enough to do the right onto Pit Straight...
Sold the bastard that week!...
Bought a LC GTR XU1 in Yellow Dolly..8/70...one of the best cars I ever owned....wish I still had that too!
R

#25 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:20 AM

farrrrrk no wonder people gave me evils when i drove it 15 odd years ago!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users