#1 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL, 03 VY SS

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

I am shortly about to buy my adapter plate to fit a T5 behind my red 202, I haven't seen anyone else do this conversion yet as every five speed conversion I see is a Toyota box. Having done this to my car before I don�t believe they are strong enough or don�t suit my driving, maybe just my driving. So I have decided that a T5 will handle the power I�m going for with my motor and hopefully my driving style, if anyone has information on fitting one it would be appreciated. The kit tells you to use a Commodore box with the 240 mm input shaft and a all Aussie four speed bell housing didn�t indicate anything about tunnel mods which I have seen with V8s, one person told me to use the extension housing of the Falcon with the Commodore box. If anyone has photos this would help me a lot.

#2 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

I have notice tunnel mods have been done when using V6 and commodore V8s but not old Holden V8s I hope this will be the case with the six.

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

I don't know much about this specific conversion but the T5 isn't overly large so I can't imagine it would present a big problem to fit. I've heard that the Falcon box positions the shifter in a suitable spot for HQ-WB, so I think I'd be fitting it up first to see how it goes before making changes like that - because the shifter bolts on you can always adjust the position by using a different shaped stick.

#4 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

I don't know much about this specific conversion but the T5 isn't overly large so I can't imagine it would present a big problem to fit. I've heard that the Falcon box positions the shifter in a suitable spot for HQ-WB, so I think I'd be fitting it up first to see how it goes before making changes like that - because the shifter bolts on you can always adjust the position by using a different shaped stick.

its where the stick comes out in the housing which is different, means you dont have to cut to far back for it to come though.
there is no conversion kit for a falcon box so you have change the extenion housing on the commodore box to a falcon one or change the input shaft on a falcon one to the longer commodore one. I have some photos which shows what I mean.
Falcon T5
Posted Image
Commodore T5
Posted Image

Edited by ilovea9x, 23 June 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Based on the Falcon one being suitable for HQ-WB I thought it must locate the shifter further rearward but obviously its the opposite.

#6 _FATMAN_

_FATMAN_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

I just finished putting the T56 in my LX hatch :)
had to lift the tunnel towards the rear and located the center of the hole about 6 to 8 inches to the rear.
Which meant cutting the floor support beam and bracing it to accommodate the gear stick.
The T56 is a bit bigger than the T5. Still clearance around box for air flow, and sits about 10 mm below the rails.

My UC hatch (which is for sale hint hint) has the injected 202 and 5 speed from the VK berlina but that was no problem fitting into the Torana, Stacks of room. why not go this way for a 5 speed? Then use the cable clutch setup.
No problems with clutch or speedo then :)

Goes like a shower of shit, would be heaps better if I change the diff ratio and got some use out of 1st. Instead of 1 to 2 mt's of travel lol

#7 _freddy_

_freddy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

be careful if you are usein a commodore t5 as the v8 gearbox there is two types their is a ss type that has the wider pattern to where u bolt to the bellhousein and then there is the std type that is similar to the v6 except for the length of the input shaft,
iv just brought a recod gearbox from that place u got the pics from the normall t-5 v8 gearbox was $1170 outright and the ss type that i had to get was $2500 outright.
also the shifter hole you need to cut is about 3in back from the hole that is already in the floor if usein the commodore t-5. hope this helps.

ill also get a pic of my ss type gearbox and measure the length of the shaft if u want?

#8 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

I just finished putting the T56 in my LX hatch :)
had to lift the tunnel towards the rear and located the center of the hole about 6 to 8 inches to the rear.
Which meant cutting the floor support beam and bracing it to accommodate the gear stick.
The T56 is a bit bigger than the T5. Still clearance around box for air flow, and sits about 10 mm below the rails.

My UC hatch (which is for sale hint hint) has the injected 202 and 5 speed from the VK berlina but that was no problem fitting into the Torana, Stacks of room. why not go this way for a 5 speed? Then use the cable clutch setup.
No problems with clutch or speedo then :)

Goes like a shower of shit, would be heaps better if I change the diff ratio and got some use out of 1st. Instead of 1 to 2 mt's of travel lol

What is the T56 bolted to, I know the 304 or LS motors require a lot of cutting but the old V8s shouldn't.
Don't know if the 5 speed out of the VK will handle my motor, JZED head, fuel injected, forced induction and one day Nos hence the need for a stronger box and I wont baby a box, it either does what I want or in my case they blow.
Been looking at a TKO complete kit with the extension housing replaced with one to fit the Torana's Tunnel, price tag scared me a bit but the only thing left to do is make crossmember and drive shaft.
As I have a tendency of blowing every box in every car I've owned it might be worth paying $6500 to have a box I won�t blow.

#9 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

Here's the box i'm thinking of using
Posted Image

Edited by ilovea9x, 25 June 2010 - 12:37 AM.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

Just cause you have a TKO600 doesn't mean you won't break it if you abuse it

#11 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

Speedo changed to normal so I have a cable up to the dash, no clutch fork.
The master cylinder is part of the clutch pedal, shorter extension housing.
And comes with a Hurst shifter.

Just cause you have a TKO600 doesn't mean you won't break it if you abuse it

I dont abuse anything, but when people kept me telling just to use a supra box and baby it I thought whats the point of even driving it.

#12 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

An R154 supra box should happily stand up
Don't know why anyone would say to baby it

#13 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:18 AM

An R154 supra box should happily stand up
Don't know why anyone would say to baby it

From what I have seen they don�t, you get to point were the torque chews out third gear.
They are fine for motor's not making to high hp, basic turbo setups can make around 250 hp which I�m sure a R154 box would be ok for but I�m pushing the limits of this motor and as I don�t want a auto.
I�ve yet to see a turbo JZED setup and when the na one's are making between 300 an 400 hp people are only guessing at what mine will make.
Taking to long to finish, as I want it to stay together quality parts have a cost.

#14 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

One thing I just noticed is Dellow or CRS don�t have a conversion for a R154 only W series boxes for the six properly why everyone I ask said go auto or something stronger.
Wonder why? must have thought only the V8s would need them.

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

Probably didn't think a six would need the bigger box, plenty of V8s around with the W55 etc working happily. A lot of people pushing the envelope these days though!

#16 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

I would have thought the R154 would be fine in a turbo 6
Since thats what they come out of.... a 1J twin turbo Supra

A mate here has one behind a twin turbo V8 lexus... works fine

So get the 2J turbo box... the 6 speed
Stands up to 1000HP supras... sometimes

Or maybe you just need to get the R154 built properly... speak to Simon at PPG and he'll weigh your wallet and see if your worthy

Or just go see the boys at Holinger

Or talk to Howard (Litre8)
He's had screaming turbo 6's and the alloy big block with a 5 spd behind it with more torque than your 6 could ever imagine... he's only broken 1 box I know of

And as far as adapting... sounds like you need to do a custom job
If you can't accept whats out there off the shelf its inevitable

#17 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

are you sure the t5 will even hold up?
what about a super t10? do they have the same bolt pattern as a saginaw/muncie? to bolt up to the saginaw holden bellhousing?

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

R154 vs 470 something ft lb of torque for nearly ten years and 80,000k. Running MH racemasters and now MT drag radials. Given it a flogging. The box is still winning...

#19 _FATMAN_

_FATMAN_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

ilovaa9x

Kool a man after my own heart LOL
GO HARD or GO HOME !!!!

My T-56 behind and old block done up to a 355 Stroker :)
Adapter bellhousing from Dellow Engineering

#20 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

I think Litre 8 had a Doug Nash 5 speed in it, but that was years ago back when I was still at school don�t know what he has now.
Some people may just have better guys working on their boxes then some of the guy�s I spoke to but none of them told me if they were R154 or W series boxes just said they were supra boxes I just assumed they were R154.

#21 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

are you sure the t5 will even hold up?
what about a super t10? do they have the same bolt pattern as a saginaw/muncie? to bolt up to the saginaw holden bellhousing?

Was told the T5 can handle way more torque than the W series box can, its not the power handling problem I�m worried about with the Supra box it�s the torque.

#22 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

i have the T5 behind my injected 5L only hole i had to cut was about 4 or 5 inches back from the normal gearstick pozzi, no tunnel mods at all fits like a glove. as for the R154 boxes i have a mate with a 1JZ and R154 in an EJ wagon that makes 400hp atw's runs 11.4's all day and has done for a few years, box is still going strong.

i smashed a w series toyota box in 2 months in the torana. :Headbang2:

#23 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

i have the T5 behind my injected 5L only hole i had to cut was about 4 or 5 inches back from the normal gearstick pozzi, no tunnel mods at all fits like a glove. as for the R154 boxes i have a mate with a 1JZ and R154 in an EJ wagon that makes 400hp atw's runs 11.4's all day and has done for a few years, box is still going strong.

i smashed a w series toyota box in 2 months in the torana. :Headbang2:

Ok I agree R154 boxes are great but W series aren�t all that great.
My other resign is I would like not to have a Toyota part on my car.

#24 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

Just found out today Dellows make a bellhousing for the Falcon T5 so this will be the way I'm going.

#25 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Here's the box i'm thinking of using
Posted Image

They don't fit well