Welding Trolley

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

After finding myself a MIG for a decent price I decided I better have a proper trolley for it. I've been building up this for the last couple of weeks. Some of it isnt 100% square (could have done better if I had a drop saw) but all in all I'm pretty happy with in. The frame is 35mm RHS with 2mm aluminium checker plate on the shelves, bought 360o 100kg casters to run it all so it should last a lifetime. I designed it with the future in mind so I have room on the lower shelve to fit a second welder (TIG, ARC etc) and room on the back for more bottles. The top shelf was a after thought but glad I did it as I can use it for parts/grinders/drills etc. could even weld on it if I wanted. Hope you like it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

good stuff,what size bottle is that?

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Looks good. Yeah, bottle doesn't look big enough.

Out of square is usually a symptom of welding straight up rather than tacking and checking. Although, if you didn't mention it, we probably wouldn't have picked it.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 25 July 2010 - 12:57 PM.

#4 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

It's an 'F' size bottle, supposidly lasts for 10-12hrs of welding time, gauge hasn't moved much over the time it took to make it. It's out of square because when i did the bottom frame I assumed my garage floor was level (it isn't), a set of washers under one of the wheels fixed that. The rest of it was tacked before welded so they are fine except a few of the corners dont joint at 45o welds.

#5 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Looks very professional mate, Id buy one :) Except my welder already has wheels and a bottle mount built into it.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

^^ You get that. Still looks the goods.

^ same,same, my welder came with wheels, and the E size bottle sits on the back.

#7 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

looks good mate and it will do the job thats for sure,,, i built mine out of a removalist trolly and just used "L" brakets to put the shelves on and it has pump up tyres on it so it can pretty much go anywhere with ease, i also made a small tray on the bottom where the flat plate was by welding some 50mm flat bar right around the bottom of it to hold my rods, wire brush, tin snips, hammers and all that kinda sh*t. it holds both my Mig & Arc welders but i have to move my bottle around when working in different places, but its been going strong now for over 7 yrs so no complaints here Posted Image

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

I put pump up tyres on my first welding trolley. Always need pumping up when you want to move it. All trolleys after that have solid rubber tyres.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

This is my mig trolley.
Doubles as an engine trolley. :)

Attached Files

#10 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

What bottle of gas is that?? Helium?

What are you welding?? Space shuttles?

#11 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

That's one fark off lawnmower ya got there Rodomo. :spoton:

#12 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

i know what mean about the pump up tyres always going flat but its always parked close to the compressor Posted Image

and F**K ME that lawnmower looks pretty wild rodomo i dont think i would like to be hanging onto that bastard at full noise Posted Image

#13 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

What bottle of gas is that?? Helium?

Red bottles are normally Hydrogen...

Careful you don't blow yourself up there mate! LOL!

#14 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

^ Maybe not in New Zuland. That could be just an Australian standard or practice.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 26 July 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#15 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

You fellas are right, I do need to paint that bottle a different colour. Red in NZ denotes a fire extinguisher, need to paint it silver or something before I take it in for it's next fill. Currently there's CO2 in it, but might do the next fill (co2 was in it when I bought it) in argoshield if they will let me (might have to get it re-complied).

yeaaa maaaaaateeeee you bute 'stralia maaaattte
:spoton:

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

^ You serious? Personalising your bottle?? Use it, drop it off, pick up a new full one. Thats what we do here anyway.

Baa Ram Ewe!!!

#17 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

I would, but its my bottle (pimp yo bottle). Within 18 months/ 2 years its paid for itself by no having to pay rental. I could have gone with exchange bottles from a local supplier (not BOC thats for sure) but this is less hassle. The local can have it filled within half an hour anyway.

#18 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Inneresting. What did the bottle cost you? Just paid my annual BOC rental, and don't weld that much, so my own bottle may be interesting. How long are they rated for? 10 years, like LPG bottles?

#19 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

It cost me NZ$275 with my welder (got it as an ex demo). I thought the same thing as well, don't know how much welding I'll be doing after I finish this project or I might just need it for a 20 minute job. They're rated for 10 years and can be re-certified, so they should pay for themselves 5 time over in that period (based on BOC rates). Pretty much have to buy them new (they rarely come up for sale here) since some suppliers need to view a reciept to show its your bottle. Depending on where you live the hardest thing might be finding a gas supplier who does a variety of mixes for owner-bottles. It was a no-brainer for me really.

#20 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Most interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

#21 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

i didnt think we could buy our own bottles here, thought it was pay rental like i am then return it after 12 months weather the bottle is still 1/2 full or empty ?? owning ya own bottle would be perfect, i think i will have to investergate this to see if i can buy my own bottle for the mig !

#22 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Not sure how it is over there with owner bottles but the easiest way to get onto it is to call up (or go round) to your local welding supply shop and ask them. They should have a list of local gas suppliers who do owner fills (thats what I did anyway). There's nothing worse than paying on-going costs when you dont have to. Happy to be of help.

P.S if you are just running CO2 gas the easiest way is to get a bottle filled is through people who refill fire extingushers. Just make sure you dont get a bottle with a 'drip tube' feed.

Edited by nzstato, 28 July 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

i didnt think we could buy our own bottles here, ...

You can but they want you to pay rent on a bottle for 10yrs.

#24 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

^ One way you can afford to sponsor a V8 Supercar.

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

Pretty sure you cant own your own bottles in Aus.

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users