Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Over the years I have had a couple of VH SL/E commodores. I have always liked the size of them (not WB Stato big or LX small)and the overall styling. They handle really well and are still fairly light. The last one I had was when my kids were just born and I used to cruise around with baby seats in it but the lack of A/C got to them and I ended up buying a family car.

After I sold off my HQ Prem. project I was looking around for something as a bit of a weekender. I heard about a one owner VH SL/E from a friend and investigated. Turns out the elderly owner had his lic. taken off him as he failed the eye test and he could no longer drive the car. The car had been sitting for quite a while and he had also inadvertedly locked the keys in it six months previous. I showed up to have a look and brought a box full of old keys. 45 min later I was in it and had it running. We agreed on a price and I drove it away. It had everything I needed and nothing I didn't. 202 and Trimatic, no power windows and a dark blue interior. I filled the tank (which promptly leaked about 20L of ULP in the servo driveway) and took it for a rego check. It went straight over the pits and I put my plates on it. It then sat in my garage for about 15 months while I played around with the UC. All along I collected parts as they came up. A VN V8 short motor, VN Group A discs and calipers, a set of silver Walkinshaw rims, King springs, a VL 3.45 LSD BW diff and some ported HQ heads with screw in studs and rollers etc.

Attached File  aspurch.JPG   81.73K   41 downloads

Attached File  aspurch1.JPG   74.74K   53 downloads

Attached File  6bay.JPG   120.66K   87 downloads

After I blew up my UC engine at the Ultimate Burnout Challenge the wife decided it was time to do something with the Commodore. I had most of the bits, it just needed some work. Before I pulled out the 202 I lowered it, fit the Walky rims and big brakes. I drove it around the block to make sure it was all good and pulled the 202 and tri out and sold them to a forum member. I was only going to wash down the engine bay and fit the V8 but it looked depressing and I decided to throw a coat of paint over the bay. Well that was the plan but it soon went out the window. I ended up hiding wiring, fuel and brake lines, moving the battery and smoothing out a few bumps. This took a while as I was doing it between other paying jobs as time allowed. I did all the work at home and towed it to a friends shop to have the bay sprayed in a booth. The bay came up great (only a minor run I can rub out) but while rolling it off the trailer into the shed I lost control of it, running into a work bench and pushed the panel behind the front bumper in flush with the radiator support and lower skirt. I was devastated to say the least.

I decided to have a go at the engine. I disassembled the short, decked it to zero, gave it a hone and fitted new rings and bearings (yes, standard dished pistons). I put in a baby Waggott solid cam and cheap lifters and an old HE sump I had lying around. I ended up going through 3 sets of HQ heads before I found a set that weren't cracked and fitted the valves, studs, roller rockers and springs from one of the cracked sets after giving them a minor bowl port. I also had a second hand Performer and one of Purple LC's Q jets and some forum sourced pipes. I had recovered mentally from the work bench incident and porta-powered the offending panel out to roughly the right spot and fitted the 304, my spare powerglide (it is actually the glide I damaged in the HQ recased. It is full manual, turbo input etc) and the torque converter out of the UC. The radiator is the 6 cyl one with the outlets rearranged to suit. I also swapped in the diff and mix-and-matched a suitable tailshaft from a VB V8 front and a VL 6 cyl rear. I then modified the OE shifter to work the glide and fired it up !!

Attached File  runin.JPG   144.16K   82 downloads

A quick lap of the block followed the cam run in and a check of the brakes, power steer and auto before heading to the exhaust shop to fit a second hand eBay 2 1/2" single with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler.

I then had a good look at the car and decided to remove the pinstripe and mouldings as well as fix the many parking dings the visually challenged previous owner put in the body. The boot lid was also damaged where it looked like it had been backed under a tree branch or similar. That is about where I am now, halfway through some minor body work. Its then back to the spray booth for some touchups to the paint before a good buff and reassembly. Then straight to the dyno for a quick tune before changing rego details to V8 and going for that first real drive !

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Very nice, I am going thru a very similar process with a 4.2L VB SLE atm having scored it of a female, one owner, with 74K on the clock.

#3 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

Looks awesome i dont mind the early commodores

#4 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Tidy work, especially with the right wheels ... so you'll continue the white with chrome and blue highlights throughout the rest of the car?

#5 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Gotta love the early commodores

#6 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the positive responses !!

Terra, post it up !

Lima31, I had the blue engine enamel left over from the last Clevo I built so put it to good use (hope its not a jinx !). The interior is dark blue so I just ran with it. I think the white with blue looks tasteful yet I'm not going to get carried away with it !

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

Just the one, not to steal your thread
Posted Image

#8 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

HI

Nothing wrong with having a SL/E. They would be getting abit thin on the road now.

Chears Neil

#9 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

this is my one,its only an slx though.115k's one owner 202 auto shit box. :dontknow:

i have a spare 304efi conversion here but that might be a bit boring.i'd like something turbo in it :clappin:

Posted Image

#10 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

If anyone needs any early commo parts i have vb, vc and vh parts still.

#11 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi Andrew. I too have a liking for the VH SL/Es & restored one about 10 years ago, even taking it to Summernats twice. I too had a little accident involving the front stone tray on mine, i ended up buying an aftermarket one from SSS here in Sydney. From memory it cost around $40 & they are easy to change if you have access to a MIG. Cheers Matt

#12 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

Terra and Moot, nice cars ! Seems there are a couple of early C/dore lovers out there !

Aggro, did I buy some armrests off you a year or so ago off the AV8 Forum ?

Hi Matt, the front on mine had already been replaced in the past. You can see the paint missing in the pic with the engine back in where I pushed it back out (drivers side and centre). It is the panel that sits behind the bumper anyway so doesn't have to look too good (not the actual stone tray area). It was just such a shame as I had just rubbed it back and painted it !

#13 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

On last Friday afternoon I picked the old girl up from the paint shop. Ended up getting the whole car jammed except the bonnet and roof which were in really good shape. The car looks great and I hope to start reassembly in the next couple of days. I have pretty much everything to put in it (new headlights, indicators etc) but the bumpers are a little average. Not sure on whether to straighten and paint them body colour or get them rechromed.

When the sun comes back out I'll push it out of the garage and take a few pics.

#14 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

I also like the old Commodores,
i think that they are/will be the next craze as younger generation get into old cars

This is my 15yr old sons project "blue Meanie" he has already bought the HDT wheels,body kit,steering wheel and hard to get scheel seats.It will be a p plate legal six for the first 3 years then he has plans for a LS3,t56 and 20inch billets.

Posted Image

#15 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, I love the early girls as well.........
Posted Image

#16 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

Nice cars guys !!

Well the old girl is all back together and really only needs the alignment and mixtures checked before rego. I still need to give the old paint a bit of a buff but the rest of it detailed up well. I did drive it down to the servo last weekend and had a play with the idle and sec air valve on the Q jet. Seems to go OK and sounds great !!

Had a couple of minor problems.... seems this model has an engine specific tacho (car was a 6 cyl.) so I needed to get it recalibrated to suit the V8. The car also had an annoying voltage drain. After a couple of days the battery would go flat. It had this problem since I first got it and probably before. I ended up tracing it to the trip computer which never worked anyway. I ripped out the digital display and fitted the lesser model clock to fill the hole. Unfortunately the analogue clock doesn't keep good time so I may need to find another, at least the battery holds charge now !

I'll try to get it outside in the next couple of days and get some pics.

#17 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Fired the beast up this morning and attempted to drive it down the road for a few quick pics when the gearbox went bang and I lost first gear. Drove home in top and dropped the pan.... the low gear servo piston broke :(

It was only a stocker so I have ordered a billet replacement. Luckily I can access it without having to remove the gearbag from the car. Oh well, another few days off the road won't kill me !

Edited by Struggler, 29 September 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#18 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

bugger about the box but one of the reasons i love the old commodores you can fix them.im fortunate to have a beige 202 auto slx ,a white 253 4 spd sl which has been turned into a replica of the 82 brock bathurst car and a green and silver 253 auto sle all vh's all runners.i can still remember when the bloke next door traded his gold aniversary hx on a vc sle from clintons motors, we thought it was so awesome. then he got done by the booze bus when they first came out and the car just sat for years.would have been a good one to get as he didnt learn his lesson and got done again and it sat again.vh is where i stop the last of the chrome bumpered holdens.( vk and vl as a maximum but only in group a guise)you spurred me on to go and kick the sle in the guts egged on by my young bloke who had the keys for the last year little bugger as he informs me that it is his which is a good thing if he comes home with a skyrice or lancer he is wiped lol but it wouldnt start lights are on but nobody home good old 253 auto only 75000k still a baby. computer telling me 7 ks left or 7 litres anyway 7 something.by the way andrew do you still need the parts you wanted.i looked at the blinker surrounds and they seem to be blistered maybe they can be blasted and rechromed.i laugh at that big rubber diaphragm thing to control the cruise control and the massive dizzy cap.gotta love the 80s

#19 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

:spoton:

Attached Files

#20 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

tops what they should be doing

#21 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

I have been flat out for the last 4-6 weeks playing with the UC but now I have some paint on it I got back to finishing off the C/dore.

Yesterday saw it get a wheel alignment and rego check to change details from 6 to V8.

Had time for a quick pic before it started raining.... again !
Not a great pic (I cut the back of it off and there is a reflection of my colourbond fence right down the side ! ) but it will give you an idea of what it looks like now.

Attached File  beforerego.JPG   99.74K   2 downloads

Too lazy to get it on the dyno, I got the idle close at home and it cruises OK so I'll rego it next week and get some miles on it. Hope to do the quick buff and touch ups some time soon too.

Rob350, my old surrounds cleaned up OK and the split is very minor, they should be fine for now. Thanks.

#22 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

looking good some more pics would be a good thing .the last chrome bumpered holden.

Edited by rob350hatch, 03 November 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#23 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Love it mate. Beautiful. The Walkinshaws suit it perfectly

#24 _lhtoranamanmatt_

_lhtoranamanmatt_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

Nice work mate i also love the old commies my dad use to have a vh sle 202 auto gold colour did good burnouts haha got the cops called on me by the neighbours for it haha

#25 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

looking good some more pics would be a good thing .the last chrome bumpered holden.

Yeah, I'll get there with the pics. Maybe next week.

Love it mate. Beautiful. The Walkinshaws suit it perfectly

Thanks, I reckon the Walky rims are OK, and they JUST clear the VN GpA calipers. Was thinking of painting them white, might round up another set and try 'em out first.

Nice work mate i also love the old commies my dad use to have a vh sle 202 auto gold colour did good burnouts haha got the cops called on me by the neighbours for it haha

Thanks Matt, they are a great car, if only SBC's fitted in them easy they would be perfect !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users