supercharged six

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:40 AM

Sorry this is not a Torana, I have a 179 that I wanted to supercharge, I bought a sc14 for it and decided to go the vk inlet manifold so i bought a black efi head, I then went back and decided to get the black rods and crank as well.
since the crank needed to be machined for a 179 I decided to find a engine shop, i figured it would be a good time to freshen the whole motor and took the lot in to the engine shop.
I asked for a low budget motor for a supercharging and we came up with a plan that changed a few times through out the year it was in the shop and turned out like this-
179 hp decked, o'ringed, bored, 3.3 crank machined for 179, full balance, closed honed shotpeened black rods, acl race series pistons machined with a deeper dish, acl race series bearings, custom copper gasket, 12 port efi head ported, cc'd, pep pro valves, yt rockers and guide plates, arp studs everywere, camtech cam to suit supercharger, straight cut gear set, line bore etc.
I am now wondering if the sc 14 supercharger would still be suitable, I bought a pair of 2" SU carbs to run of the sc 14, I have heard i could have leaning out issues with these carbs and two would be difficult to set up together.
Do any of you guys use su carbs on a boosted engine?
I was told holley float bowls could help, any of you guys done this?
I didnt want the hi tech look of efi on my old holden but I have been told efi could help get the right mixture throu under boost, I have a efi vk in the driveway, would it be worth going efi?
Have any of you guys seen a eaton m90 on a holden six, if so any pics or info?
what fuel pump, fuel line size and regulator would you use with 8- 10 psi boost

cheers,
Leon.

#2 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:36 AM

Welcome to the forums mate, everyone is welcome even if you dont have a car..

On the engine combo If i was you id use the VK EFI setup with a cheap after market engine managment like a Wolf3D or microtech.. id use a VL turbo external EFI pump if your gona run EFI as it needs higher PSI fuel pressure then a carbed motor and id use the existing fuel reg on the VK fuel rail..

If you choose to go carbs it all depends on the size of your SUs..A mate ran a big SU on a turbo 2.6 astron and his original fuel bowl on the SU would emtpy and thus lean out, he fixed this by running a 350 holley fuel bowl bolted on a 10mm plate off alluminuin he machined. He sat this very close to the SU hanging on the the shocker tower and fed the SU with a small fuel line to were the existing SU fuel bowl connected, he fed this with a small carter fuel pump and a holley fuel reg using 3/8 line and i think on about 8psi fuel pressure..The fuel pressure will depend on your engine and blower setup, this will be determend when you get it running and dyno tuned..Another carb option would be a side draft or down draft WEBBER..

John

#3 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought this might be a good forum for modified holden engines
I just had a look at the vk, looks messy, will i need to change the thermo housing, i already had chrome to use the red set up, i was trying to keep it fairly old looking and there are a few hi tech looking bits of black plastic there. I have been looking at the wolf 3d computers on ebay just in case, are they easy to hook up if they are off another car?
Would it be ok to put the water/methanol injector before the throttle body?
Also noticed that the alternator is on different brackets wich is a bummer after i just stripped and painted my alternator brackets in 2k and bought chrome bolts but looks like this would also be necassary if i keep the sc 14 and use the efi manifold with the SU carbs. hope this fits ok in the FC engine bay, i hae re located the battery and recessed the firewall to open up options for for induction
has anyone used a eaton m90 with efi on a holden 6?

#4 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:52 PM

the sc14 will give you some added power but isnt really suited to a 3.3L and maybe actually making vaccum instead of boost until you get a bit higher in the rev range so if you can find something a little bit bigger you will have a lot more fun :spoton:

#5 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

yeah thats why i was worried about using the sc14, with a near stock head and stock cam you could probably get 10 psi out of it but you wouldnt want to rev it over 4k, with the low compression, exhuast valve timing, big valves and exhuast i will probably need something that will make a decent amount of boost.
It sucks becuase the sc14 looks like the sc14 would be a much simpler set up if i go efi, the m90 would probably have to fit up to a 4bbl manifold on the manifold side of the motor.
Nearly looks easier to twin charge it and bypass the sc14 supercharger at higher boost with a to4 taking over but i dont know how smooth it would change over, might also turn into a complex unreliable pile of headaches.
looks like today would have been the day to get a m90 of ebay, there was 3 ending within 2 hours but i missed out, one went for $480 with 17000 k's on it.

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

FCCOOL: Welcome to the forum and i'm SURE you;ve come to the right place to find yoru info!

I'll move this thread to the correct area ( help section), and you can continue in there!

Welcome, and dont forget to show us some pics of your project!

Cheers

#7 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

as i said its not a torana, its a old, old holden, last time it was engineered with the red motor and box it weighed 1180kg, about the same as a sigma.
I bought the car in sydney then moved to newcastle, before moving to newcastle I actually took it on a run with some mates in the sydney torana club to berowa waters, it was green then, dont know if any of those guys are still into toranas, it was 11 years ago.
after I moved to newcastle I painted it white, and then blue and white but cruising around town nearly every night for 5 years and hanging out in nobbys beach car park and the fore shore it started to cop some salt air damage. After living in newcastle for seven years I returned to sydney, the car didnt like the traffic down here and after being pretty maintanance free for years it started to get mechanical problems with evreything so I decided to pull it down, cut it to peices and start again. The car looked pretty good apart from the odd rust bubble but after stripping of the paint and turning it over it turned out to be more full of rust than I thought. with so much needing to be done I saw it as a oportunity to customise it a bit and since it needed freshening of the mechanicals I figured i might as well get it in a way i could have some fun at the drags too.
Its now 90% complete in the bodywork but everything is still has to be done, its taken evry weekend for over a year mainly on the body alone.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:27 PM

this time I painted the red motor grey in the colour of the cars origional motor, once there is a supercharger hanging of it I could still have trouble convincing the police its the origional motor, the firewall has been modified and battery relocated to fit the efi manifold to do the sc 14 conversion wich probably wont be done now that I want a bigger supercharger.
were I am stuck now is decididing what supercharger / efi or carb set up I am going to use as I want to sort out the tank, fuel lines and pump before I bolt the diff and front end back in. everything going back under is painted 2k black white or silver or chromed so I need to do any further modifications under the car prior to bolting it all up to aviod overspray and grinding sparks on the parts.
with limited space for a pump around the twin exhaust and the diff (car is lowered 5") the pump may need to be recessed.
so now I need to decide-
sc14- 2x su 2"
sc14- vk efi
m90 - on 4bbl manifold with 2xSU carbs 2"
m90-vk efi is it possible?
m90- 4bbl holley

I guess I will need to get the top taken of the tank, fit a bigger pick up and return line
I have spent a bit on the engine and dont want it to lean out and melt down so if i use the SU carbs I might try holley bowls on them, anyone got photo's, also what do I need to do to the carbs to run them with the supercharger upto 6500 rpm with 10psi. and how much psi and gp/h should i look for in a pump to suit them?

If I go vk efi, since the block is a 1964 pre polution block, can I get rid of most of the hoses on the efi set up or are they necassary, just seems a bit complex and messy.

#9 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

well you could mount the m90 onto the side of the motor but then piping is an issue....

#10 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

you could always use one of the larger toyota superchargers
i've got one off one of the 2.5litre 6cyls
still the clutch type and also bolts to the same bracket that the sc14 one does

food for thought :spoton:
tom

#11 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

I was thinking of mountin a m90 using a 4 bbl manifold but it would be tricky if i went efi. I have read about toyota sc20 superchargers, probably not as efficient as a twisted rotor type but would be more suitable for the size of the engine and easier to fit, i beleive thay are of a 100 series landcruiser that we didnt get and I have never seen one for sale.
I thought i found one but it turned out to be of a 6 ltre volvo truck, it looked like a sc14 but about 2" longer, it was on ebay, when I found out it was of a deisel i wasnt sure if it would be ready to go on a petrol suck through set up, I couldnt find any info on the supercharger and some one else bought it.

here is a pic from years ago when i was making my first attempt with a wade ro38, I had just smashed the car and was going to charge it while I had the front appart but I ended up quickly putting it back together without the supercharger for a burnout night at Newcastle motordrome. I was then having problems as there was only about 5mm clearance with a holley 500 on top and I didnt want it showing through the bonnet. otherwise I would go a 4/71, also with all these cheap superchargers of production cars now it seems like something to take advantage off.
Posted Image

#12 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:43 PM

as sc20 is still a roots type supercharger.....

#13 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Hey FCCOOL, i remember seeing your car around newcastle ALOT and we actually talked once or twice at nobbies, good to see you still have it and are still into it :)

This is the car i used to cruise around newcastle in ...
Posted Image

Unfortunately the EK Wagon was too rusted and i scrapped it for a Torana, but i have an FB Ute im doing up now so all isn't lost :)

anyways, on the VK EFI side of things, i reckon if you plan to use the SC14, the efi manifold is going to make it far easier to get into the motor, especially considering you have the 12 port head to bolt it straight onto.

to that end i'd go for an aftermarket system and use it with the VK manifold, but you probably want to find a fuel only system otherwise you need to work out a crank angle sensor for the holden 6 .... can be done with some camira parts but im not sure how far you want to go with it .....

I reckon even with a worked 6 like yours you should still be able to get a bit out of the SC14 ... but having said that i have heard that if you spin them above about 11-12,000rpm the teflon coating on the rotors peels off so if thats the case you probably want to limit the belt ratio, but you could get it close to 1.7:1 or 1.8:1 or something like that, which would give you the 6500rpm limit for your motor and keep the blower below 12,000rpm.

i reckon you should be able to keep the standard size fuel lines and intank gear, unless your making fairly hefty horsepower .....

if you go the eaton m90 route i think you will find your going to need to fabricate alot of stuff to fit it to the holden 6 ..... but if you do that i reckon you will have a more efficient blower that will have the potential to make alot more power than the sc14 is capable of.

#14 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

go twin sc14's, that would be good. thats what I would be doing if i wasnt going down a different forced induction route

#15 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

I had two sc14's but sold one to a guy to put on a EH, it looked to hard to squeeze the two in as well as mking a sturdy bracket for the top one, I have seen a twin set up on a vw that was doing 9's from memory, I have a strata turbo I could use for twin charging but dont know how to get it to smoothly change from supercharger to turbo.

Yeah Sammy, I remember that wagon, I just got of the phone talking to the owner of the purple EK I used to often cruz with, he just renewed rego for another year, he is in orange and lost the gurooz plates a couple of years back when his rego went past 3 months. hopefully the FC wagon will hit nobbys and hunter street again one day, Sydney is dead boring apart from eastern creak, the car was also in the newcastle motordrome ad and the harry's on hunter ad. It was well known for being in town and letting flames pour out the tailpipes, also at one stage had a 3 ft long shift stick.

#16 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:25 PM

superturbocharging could be done with some playing round, always wanted to do this to something, but i dont think a strata setup would be a good start for it. a toyata blower would be the perfect start though......

#17 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

Have you still got that WADE???

You should get out on a STC run. Many of the ppl who were in the club back then are still kicking around.

Grant..

#18 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

i actually saw it at the motordrome when you did the flame show once during the burnout sessions!

i also remember the purple EK and the long stick shift :)

as for cruising newcastle, i hope you have an auto as it will be a killer in a manual, too many knobs in rice boxes cluttering the place and attracting the cops, i don't bother cruising anymore!

#19 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

very nice mate welcome to the site..

love the look of your car

#20 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:03 AM

I had a GM 3-73 supercharger on a 179 in an LC GTR 18 years ago, some of the problems we had were chewing out bearings in the front plate. We figured out that you needed to run the blower at an angle so the belt was "pulling down" on the drive pulley rather than pulling to one side.
Im not sure if later blowers suffered from the same fate, I would assume they dont.
I ran a 600DP Holley carby fed by twin leccy pumps from a Jag via 1/2 inch fuel lines, with a 1/2in pickup in the tank and never had a fuel delivery problem. At the time it was considered overkill, but after having friends experience lean-out and dead engines I wasnt going to let that happen to mine.
I would use the m90 nowadays, they were not avail back then. As they are usually rear-fed (some are top feed), go for a side-draft carb like twin SU's or a 45 weber. Make sure they have been boost-referenced too or you'll have to run them very rich at low revs/boost which will use shyte loads of fuel.

#21 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

Makka,
true, all that would be usable from the strata would be the turbo itself, i would probablyuse the vk efi inlet with a fabricated exhuast manifold and have a bypass for the supercharger and run the clutch pulley.
Enderwigginau
I had the wade in getting rebuilt and didnt go back to get it after i eas out of work for a while and started a family but the urge to supercharge the FC came back, now the compression is way to low to turn back. I might try to track it down, While it would be good for the drags I dont know how well the wade would handle long trips and some events I go to are in other states, I love the look of the wade but the new superchargers are cheap to replace and designed for everyday use on a petrol engine.
I had a mate in the sydney Torana club who got into it through his cousin(Jamie) He never got his car on the road and got into boats instead, then another one of our mates bought a gtr replica (Simon) who I havent seen for a few years, one of the last times was when I lived in Newcastle and he came up for Toranafest in good old Nobbys car park.
I hung out with a torana club 3rd last time I went to the summernats, I remember cruising with their torana and a HD ute belonging to Ahmed the mad turk at about 5am when sucurity told us to stop cruising, the clubs car was a LX or LH with the roof cut off, the was the last time I got away with cruising late at the summernats, my car was even overheating at night and i ended up jumping into the torana a few times while it cooled down.
I spoke to my old mate a few weeks ago as he was going to ask about a transmission a guy had in a turbo lj, he sold the motor and still had everything else, think his name was Phill.
might go on a run when my car is finnished, its fun going on a run with older holdens and having the oldest holden and chatting holden sixes. maybe i could drag along one of our members who just bought a genuine xu-1.
Sammy,
I miss the motordrome, we had a good thing going, it was were I took my wife for our first date and while she went to the loo the organisers asked me and a mate to take our cars out on the pad to do a flame show, when my wife returned I was pulling out onto the burnout pad to shoot flames instead of sitting on the hill.
when I first moved to Newcastle my uncle bought a LX torana with flares, wide wheels and a hornet scoop finnished in 2k blue with no rear bumper, it had a stock 173 but we put on some extractors and a 350 holley and replaced the tri matic with a aussie 4 speed that was all out of a FE I owned, he had no liscense so I had to drive it everywere, soon after I re registered the FC and he had to find another driver to take it into town, that was about 1996 or 1997.
The FC is now Auto, has a hurst promatic 2 wich i am thinking of making a longer stick for. I am thinking of using around 2500 to 3000 rpm stall so it wont be the nicest car to drive on a sunday along the foreshaw but i thing it sould pull eyes away from the rice.
70rey,
The car is going to be a early sixties US west coast style with frenched tunnelled tail lights, quad canted headlights, no door handles, twin frenched ariels, lakes pipes, dummy spotlights, radiused lower door corners and hood corners with a gold and white interior featuring a bar, telephone and black & white TV.
Thats why the tailights look different in the photo from the rear, the front is tacked together and already looking pretty cool.
Hottroder,
I was looking at a pommie pump a few weeks ago that had two motors, was of a larger motor with SU carbs like a v12 jag or rolls or something, is that what you had. I was thinking of a holley blue or carter black but I have read that you should run 3 psi more than your max boost so that would mean I would need 13-14 psi, is this true? I bought a book on street supercharging for $40 and it has stuff all helpfull info.
did you have any 1/4 mile times from your supercharged torana, what psi were you running?

#22 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

thats what i like to see, old school metal taking the spot light over rice :)

#23 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

heres a c14 on a red 202 i set this up on a mates car we had a wad blower 4 lobe rotors strange! on it for a wile but it s--t it self .If you are goning to use vk efi manifold ten this is a good way to mount it this ones got a 450 econamaster holley feeding it. goes well makes 8-9psi max spinning 12.500 rpm but i think a well set up turbo would be faster :tease:
Posted Image

#24 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

Why not go Turbo?

I dont know much about superchargers, but arent they usually suited to bigger engines with more grunt to turn the supercharger?

Even a 308 i'd probably still turbo (maybe twin turbo)

#25 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

not necassarilly NOFX, , they are probably more suited to bigger motors becuase the turbo is better for higher rpm that the small engines are better for, many cars come from factory with supercharged engines that have a engine capacity of less than 2L. I work at a mercedes benz dealer so I frequently drive supercharged cars with small motors, they feel like a v6 but with 4 cyl sound, our poverty model c class has a 1.8 litre supercharged 4 cyl while the high performance version has a naturally aspirated V8.
the smaller the motor the lower the ratio you need to drive the supercharger to get the same psi so if its sucking 30 horsepower on a v8 it might only suck 10-15 on a 2L to make the same pressure.
The 202 is a little to big for most of the second hand superchargers around now on ebay and at swap meets.
usually a turbo will make more power on a holden six than a supercharger but it doesnt have the same pull at low rpm, turbos do well at the drags but the big records are from supercharged cars so they cant be too bad.
I still havent been able to decide what way to go, m90 or sc14 and carbs or injection.
That LJ looks different as usually the supercharger is mounted with the outlet facing the motor.
Dave 720gtr, do you know much about that car, engine internals, fuel pump, ignition, , has it ever raced or been dynoed does the supercharger get hot, does the motor get hot, what radiator does it have? and what pulley set up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users