Whiteline rear sway bar for LC torana

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi all.
Has anyone fitted a whiteline rear sway bar to a LC Lj torana with a ford 9" diff??

I have just bought one but I'm not all that certain how to fit it. As I have to drill into the chassis/upper control arm for the mounting bracket I want to get it right the first time. Has anyone got a step by step guide pref with photos??

Thanks heaps

#2 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

pm a9x /welby he done one with his race car

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

But his racecar isn't a lil Torana... nor does it have a 9"

#4 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

oooops my bad....

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

The following are pictures of a Whiteline swaybar on an LX with a 9". Does the LC/LJ version of the Whiteline swaybar use the same style of brackets for the body mounts?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 05 December 2011 - 02:06 AM.

#6 _toranarama_

_toranarama_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

I hope you've done your pinion flange seal by now or at least topped up the oil ;)

#7 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

It looks similar. Only diff is where it bolts to the chassis it's a bit I angle not box tube. Gives me something to go off though. I'm on the right track anywho. Is it just me or is your adjusting link bent?

#8 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

Ls2hatch
How did your car perform after putting it on? I get quiet a bit of diff movement in mine so I'm trying to eliminate that.

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

The above pictures are not my car. They were sent to me by Whiteline a couple of years ago when I was looking at swaybar options. The adjusting link is bent at the factory to make the transition from the swaybar to the body.

I ended up using the K-MAC front mount UC style swaybar because I preferred how the drop links are mounted to the body. This is my car. I have not driven the car since the swaybar was fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 05 December 2011 - 10:56 AM.

#10 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Just keep in mind that most Group Nc XU1s don't run a rear swaybar at all as they want to keep the inside rear tyre on the ground.

#11 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

Car isn't for racing. Street/strip car only

#12 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

Got in contact with whiteline and they can't even send me a photo of it installed. They only have one photo from behind which shows bugger all

#13 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Do they say it suits a 9" ?

#14 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

yeah. you have to buy another u bolt kit to suit the 9". and the bar is for a Lc/Lj. ill try get some photos tonight and ill put them up

#15 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

this is what whiteline sent me. you will notice how in there pic the bar ends are vertical and the link rod appears to bolt to the outside?

on mine the bar ends are horizontal and the link rod bolts down through.

interesting.

also in there pic the u bolts are straight down and the bar is horizontal with the chassis where as on mine the u bolts are back on an angle to keep it horizontal.

can you understand my jibberish?

Attached Files

Edited by ryan_525, 05 December 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

The bar in the photo above has a different style of drop link which appears to give a small amount of adjustment. It would appear to be fitted to a track car.

Sounds like the bar you have is the same style as the bar in the photos I posted which is not adjustable. The angle of the bar is not critical, it will change during suspension travel.

#17 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

see how the U Bolts are on the angle they are to keep the bar ends where the adjustment rod is horizontal? but in doing so the bar is hitting the rear of the diff housing?? and where i have drawn where i am going to get a bigger angle to fix to the chassis is that a good spot so i dont have to re drill?

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

When the rear springs compress, the bar will move lower in relation to the diff housing.

#19 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

I also think it is better to mount the top of the drop link to the control arm bolt. That is how the K-MAC LH/LX/UC bar is mounted. I would bend up a prototype out of 1-2 m scrap so you can check the angles.

Posted Image

Have you tried flipping the bar upside down to see if that gives you better clearance on the diff?

You could also try putting a spacer plate on the u-bolt clamp to lower the bar or adjusting the length of the drop links until the bar clears.

Once you have the position sorted you could get brackets welded on to the diff instead of using the u-bolts.

#20 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

no i havent tried flipping it. i didnt even think about that to be honest. sweet yeah i was hoping i could use the upper control arm bolt cos i didnt really want to drill holes in it.

i can get heaps of angle in all diff sizes from the boilys at work so that shouldnt be an issue.

Chopps:
you are prob right mate just looking at it i could only picture the rear of the bar piviting up as where it bolts to the control arm will go down.ill have a fiddle and see what happens.

the more info i get the better

Ps. i emailed whiteline the same photos and they said it looks like the bar should be flipped. so will try that. also they said the bar ends DON'T have to be horizontal either so ill see how i go with that info.

Edited by ryan_525, 06 December 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#21 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

As the diff goes up the front of the bar is pushed down and the rear of the bar will pivot towards the diff.

#22 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

As the diff goes up the front of the bar is pushed down and the rear of the bar will pivot towards the diff.

in other words the way it is atm it isn't going to work. surely this thing shouldn't be too hard to fit. geese man

#23 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

It would be a reasonable guess that at the momement the bar is on upside down. Once you flip it over it should fix the clearance problems.

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

The front of the bar is attached to the body, so that won't move much. The point is, on suspension travel the bar will move closer to the housing in one direction and away from it in the other.

But yeah, I'm starting to think the bar could be upside down.

#25 _toranarama_

_toranarama_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

Upside down >chuckle< - Goodonya Ryan ! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users