What got you into Torana's

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

After reading the thread about what people do for a living it is interesting to see that we all come from different walks of life yet share a common interest, The Mighty Torana.
Got me thinking to how i got into Torana's in the first place.
As an impressionable 13 year old my older sister started going out with a guy that had just bought a very tidy one owner LH SLR5000.

Well after driving with them in it one time it was love. I had never been in a V8 before as Dad always owned 6 cyl ford crap that didnt impress me at all.
I had been converted from following in Dads footsteps and owning a ford one day, to instantly abandoning that idea and wanting a Holden Torana.

The rest is history. I still have my first torana which i bought at 17, that was 18 years ago and I still love driving it more than my 2001 SS.

Tell us how YOU got into Torana's

Mick

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

Always loved old cars, wanted an EH ute, but pushy step dad, who didnt like the idea of parts hunting for a car that he couldnt "borow" parts off for his own. $ door LJ popped up and what was meant to be a quick do up for it to be my daily driver went too far. 2 years and havent looked back.
CHEERS Chris :rockon:

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

My bro in law had a LC XU1 when I was about 12, he also got me watching Bathurst. Watching Brock beat the V8's in the LJ would have to be the high light for me. I have always been interested in cars (had about 50 matchbox/hotwheels cars and tracks when I was a kid) and am a mechanic. My dad had a LC SL 4 door immaculate until it was writen off. I didn't own a Torana until about 3 years ago. This was about the same time my life started making sense and I relised something had been missing. Now I have 2 Toranas in my life and the trips to the psychologist have stopped :spoton:

OOOPS! The missus has just read this :furious: and now my arse is black and blue and my ears have been chewed off. :blink:

Edited by rodomo, 28 May 2006 - 12:52 PM.

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

Just b4 my brother went to Vietnam in 1970 he took me as a 15 y.o. to Warwick Farm. Colin Bond smoked everyone in the first XU1 and I will never forget his car control of beautiful slides across the causeway and outbraking everyone into Creek Corner. The rest is history. Norm Beechey hammered them all in the Yellow Monaro on the same day so it was just bliss.
R

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Didnt happen to get it on video R :P

Wish i coulda seen that.

A1

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

He actually haS IT ON 8MM AND IS COPYING THEM ALL OVER AS WE SPEAK!
r

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

I went on a combined club trip to Echuca as a guest, had a good time came home and purchased an LX 4 door 2850.

In the good ole days of Bathurst I was a Moffat fan and hated Brock - not because of his skills but because he opposed and often beat Allan. You know the Ford V's GMH thing....

Today it appears so many Torana owners own one because Brocky did but I personally think that is the wrong reason, engineeringly speaking the cars we drive barely resemble what he raced but the shape is the same :tease: and that includes the 500 or so A9X's built for homologation reasons IMHO....

I enjoy driving my modified LX and look forward to it being back on the road within the next couple of months. So am I a dedicated Torana man - no I don't think so as I enjoy many types and makes of cars and I doubt if the car I currently own will be my last.

Cheers
Herne

#8 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

my mum gave me her shitbox morris minor when i got my license, I drove it for about a month and killed its auto doing some rally driving in the local bush. My girlfriend at the times dad had a stock 253 lh in baby poo brown respray with a fan on the dash for sale ( total sleeper ). Took it for a test drive and the rest is history.

cheers julian

#9 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

Where I lived as a kid one of the older guys around the corner was an apprentice mechanic with a maroon V8 LX which he'd always blast around the streets with, it sounded tough and every old guy in the street hated it. I've always like all sorts of cars really but the Torana was always the one for me for some reason. The size of the car is what I really like, I've owned bigger cars with bigger engines (351 XW & 318 VG hardtop) but always come back to a Torana because they're more fun to drive.

#10 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

When I was a kid my old man bought his first brand new car an LJ 4dr sl 4spd and after a drunk wrote it off when it was parked outside dads work, he then got a green GPak, also my first car was an LX 202 4spd.
I think my Bathurst obsession has something to do with too.
So I suppose I have always had a soft spot for Toranas but all in all I am a HOLDEN man.
I currently have a VX (which my wife drives mostly) a HJ Statesman Deville 308(my every dayer) and my LX SLR5000 TORANA...... :D

Regards
Duck05

#11 LC-069

LC-069

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC GTR & LX SL

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

At 10 years old watching my dad race his 9sec LJ torana drag car.

#12 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:30 PM

For me...I built an engine and it needed a home...I needed a red motor powered car that could handle...so it came down to a UC or VB...weight meant the UC won.

I thought I would love EH's forever but eventually the boat like handling gets to you.

I currently have an EH Special that I drive down to Sydney every day...but that will only continue until my UC 234 Turbo is done....It only time and money holding me back. :spoton:

#13 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

I was handed the keys to my grandad's 77LX 4 door... Poo Brown, 202, Trimatic... when i turned 16...

It was great.. I had the most powerful car at school and even though it was one of the oldest.. it still hammered :)

I got stuck into playing pantball so the old torry got a hell of a work out going to the fields and stuff, but no matter what i threw at it.. it keept on going!

Did a few basic mods to it and loved it till the day i sold it.. Unfortunately tinworm got the bet of it, and it needed some TLC ( bushses etc etc etc) and at the time i knew SFA about cars and had even less money! Sad Sad day when that drove away....

But hey.. i couldnt live without a torana so Simmo an i Bought the SLR we now have in the garage ( probably in worse nick than my old car LOL! ) but it'll be returned to its former glory! One day! :rolleyes:

#14 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

The doors, I found it too painful climbing through the windows.....

Cheers

#15 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

ive always liked toranas since i was in high school, after i got out of the army i needed to find something to chill out on i actually started with a tiny little honda z360 but very quickly out grew that. one of my mates had a UC and i always liked that and when i heard he was selling that i couldnt give him the money fast enough. this UC had a reconditioned 202 in it that had barely been run in and i remember blasting all over the place in it and was very happy until one of my neighbours bought a lime green SLR with a worked 308 and then i couldnt stop thinking about that. I eventualy bought a L32 SLR that i found for sale on the notice board at the local laundromat for $2000 the guy thought it was a mock up well any way all the numbers are right and $10000 later and the 253 out and replaced with a 334 stroker im still going :spoton:

#16 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:19 PM

The doors, I found it too painful climbing through the windows.....

Cheers

ROTFPML hehehehehehee

Herne

#17 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

Flareless Mint Julip LX L31 Sedan used to live round the corner from me back in Northcote, whatever affect it had on me was merely subconscious... but I didn't just happen to own a flareless Mint Julip LX Sedan five years later.

I can't blame anyone for my obsession. No one got me into Torries and countless people tried to get me out of them. I did however feel a little shy walking into the Good Guys Dyno Garage when I was thirteen; my first Victorian Torana Club experience surrounded by unmuffled V8s and lots of blokes that I was shitscared of, hahahahaha.

At least now at 15 I can have some sort of confidence in uncomfortable situations :P

#18 _Shayde_

_Shayde_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:42 PM

I can't actually remember why I began to like Toranas.
The most I can remember is that I was in high school considering what to get as my first car then somehow I fell in love with Toranas.

What's going on nowadays? I used to see plenty about 6 months ago... now I rarely ever see any?

#19 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

seeing a bloke up the road in his green and black four door with flares and nice dragways on it, and he used to give it heaps every time i saw it!
thought yep i want one of those babys :rockon:

well that was about 12 years ago and have owned my four door for 8 years now, and it just so happens that that old four door lives just down the road from me again, and i live 50 kms away from where i grew up!

AWESOME :spoton:

#20 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

I would blame my grandfather for my love of the torrys he bought his LX hatch 2 months after i was born he wanted the SS but nan wouldnt let him ! ive been around that car pretty much all my life my second car was a LH 4 door 253 4 spd which i bought of my sister of all people !

http://s54.photobuck...current=CAR.jpg
http://s54.photobuck...rent=CAR019.jpg
http://s54.photobuck...nt=0255332a.jpg

#21 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

I would have to lay the blame for my love of the torana on my dad. he was a holden man owned a couple of monaros and a few other nice holdens. he also has a book (about the only one he owns) called "Australian Muscle Cars" it was full of XU1's, SLR's, A9X'S, fords and Vals. from pretty much the first time i read that book (would say about 8yrs old) i wanted a SLR 5000 (who wouldnt really). then in 2002 doing year 12 needed to get a car when i got my p's. on the bus route i spotted a LX sl hatch and thought i dont really like the hatches but its a torrie and its a holden. so i sent dad around to look at it and we bought it. now i love the hatches.

torrietree

#22 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:01 PM

Despite my parent and grandparents all being Ford people, i much prefered the 'local' product, so i was a Holden man.

When it comes to cars i like small cars more than big cars, probably since the smaller cars tend to handle better. And i like Rear wheel drive cars. So if i wanted a Holden there was really only two choices, Gemini or Torana. An older friend told me the Geminis weren't anything special so Torana it was.

I've wanted a Torana probably since i was about 16. I have to say that i like the LC/Js a lot more than the LH/X/UC Toranas, they look tougher i reckon. :tease:

Steve

#23 _Simmo_

_Simmo_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

Id say from the age of 6 ive loved the torana...

JimJet`s SLR has spent many a night in the old mans driveway over the years.
Then thier friends brother in law had a gun metal grey SLR 5000 and that was an awesome car.

Now i have my own torana (Tiny to :) ) and i cant wait to be able to drive it around

#24 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

I was always into cars, and then heath showed me a torana one day and I thought oh well, it's just your old 70s cars, and then he always use to bring them up etc until I liked them, then he showed me this site, I thought oh yeah, browsed for a week, and I had to be a member, and im bloody glad i became one, I love torana's now, mainly LH-LX's...

#25 _wasted_youth_

_wasted_youth_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

out running the cops in my red LJ XU1 copy. It was such a adrenalin rush even though it was stupid. Silly things u do, but anyway thats the first thing i remember about my torana, since them im hooked on LCs, and LJs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users