Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

In Harry's Book
Torana the Great HDT
Harry says he wanted to build a Stage 2 2nd production run on the V8 LJ XU-1
with 5.O Litre Engine much stronger-Rev Limit 7500rpm
Est 450-500 BHP
Lighter with Alloy Heads and Extractors
But GMH would have to be convinced to build it

Now this might of been the ultimate Supercar from Holden, Leave L34's and Race A9X's in there wake if built, should of took that to LE-MANS Harry :)

#2 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Attached File  GMH Styling V8 XU-1.jpg   497.81K   7 downloads

Harry has sketch pics of the Barneys Shirt Car, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, was this Car the Car Harry was tinkering with for his 2nd production run on the V8 LJ, as the H was allways thinking and doing ahead of time, makes you wonder ??????????????

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

HJ's with a 400ci Chev would have been a good thing too, but got canned late in HJ development.

#4 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

HJ's with a 400ci Chev would have been a good thing too, but got canned late in HJ development.

Posted Image

Around the time of the release of the HQ, Holden were evaluating a 454 powered monaro. They felt that the Monaro was losing it's muscle car image, and that this would restore it.

The other engine that was under consideration was the 400 sbc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

s

#5 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

mmmmmmmmmmm yes the 350/Z Monaro, was told that was destroyed, mmmmmmmmm NOT :)

#6 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

And the HSV 427 Monaro Beast they made, If Lambo's and Ferraris can be sold here why cant we make and sell supercars lol

#7 _sloper35_

_sloper35_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

The 350/Z was a pure show car. Done by Holden Styling using a production 350 Coupe. No fancy running gear just some fibreglass add-ons. Sold by Holden in Feb 1974. As for the "Phase Three" Holden pure speculation. The car shown above in teal was know by the stylists as the "Old Man Emu" car. It was dreamed up by by the young stylists and produced as a mockup. Engine was not changed. Engineering had no involvement in this car - no talk of a 400ci or 454 by any of the Engineering personel. Biggest engine I ever saw in Engineering was a 427 and that was back in the HT days.
Note how the spoilers and bonnet on the Teal car ended up on the 350/Z.

#8 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

The 427 V8 HT Holden, now what a beast that would of been, i bet a fave car at engineering at the time Norm

#9 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

no talk of a 400ci or 454 by any of the Engineering personnel.

I thought that didn't sound right, (quote taken from another forum).

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 07 March 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#10 _sloper35_

_sloper35_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

The 427 was in a HT Kingswood as part of a Police pack development. Police gave it back and said thanks but No thanks. It goes OK but won't stop!!

#11 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

The old to much power for the brakes trick, a nice scary lol

#12 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Interesting thread,427 HT,no wonder they gave it back,

i remember when i bought my HK monaro it had a 400hp 350,went like the clappers but stop it did not,the discs would glow red,and the car would swerve all over the place,so a few years later in 1988 i had a set of WB stubs and calipers,and thought to myself,they would be good if they fit,so i removed the HK stubs and brakes,and guess what the WB fitted,i thought this was too good to be true,i took it for a wheel alignment and it was perfect.Nowerdays this is commonly done,i thought i was pritty good back then,and the car stopped great.The car is still that way now.

I heard somewhere that barney,s shirt car may of been modified by harry,muncie or something like that,the tunnel was chopped.

#13 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I think 'H'
Knows alot more about Barneys Shirt LJ XU-1 than he is saying, its up to him to say, so i hope its soon, as H is not getting any younger

#14 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Barney's shirt may have been another colour at some stage before it left Fisherman's Bend?

#15 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Craig , the car has a number of mods which Harry was only to happy to tell me about , those that went to the book launch would have seen the large hole cut out around the shifter and if any had a look underneath they would have seen the spacers between the gearbox x-member and body and a look in the boot revealed a flat sheet welded in .

Question is how does he know what exactly was done to this car ? and why does it appear to be at the rear of the HDT pits at the '72 Bathurst race.

The car was owned by GMH right up to july '74 , not the usual practice for a 'colour plate ' or styling/ show car. ( it was built 19/1/72 and went straight to fishermans bend )

#16 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Yes all very interesting the mods on Larry's Car, lots of things on the car that makes you wonder about what they were doing with it

#17 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

sagman,i,ll have to ask my old mate that worked for gmh in the hk monaro days through xu1 ,he was on the floor for those days then promoted to office,pagewood plant,but he knows guys down south also,when the new monaro was launched the pilot car visited from down that way,i gotta find those pictures,pilot on the tags.

He tells me things that i should probably tape,as he still knows a fair bit of important stuff,and i,m too silly to remember everything,i scored some very good literature of him recently that was pulled from the bin at holden.

Thats a real special xu1.

#18 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Barney's shirt may have been another colour at some stage before it left Fisherman's Bend?

I had wondered about that early on and if i wanted to make a car vanish i would send it to the furthest away location .... Darwin would do it !!

However when i got a copy of the first rego papers it lists the colour as ' lilac ' . It was painted metallic blue straight over the barney's shirt and again the flutes were blacked out , then it was painted in a metallic burgundy , flutes blacked out and then in the early 90's it got the current colour ('84 toyota) and flutes blacked out .

Good thing for me and history (not so good for the first owner in darwin ! ) is that he got ripped off as he paid good money for a bare metal respray,
bootlid top , roof and bonnett and front guard tops were about all that saw metal !

Other interesting thing is that the rego papers clearly show the vehicle as second hand even though it was the first rego . Other styling/ show cars when sold have had the 'new ' tag ticked even though they had 2-3k miles on the clock.

Laz

#19 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

By the way the vic rego was active till july '82 when the car arrived in the NT ............ What i really need is any info on the car when in Victoria. it was rego no. LXE-826 and was sold to some person ( i suspect a GMH employee or relative of ) who lived in the caulfield nth area.

The car was financed through GMAC finance which is why i believe it is a GMH employee who bought the car and certainly they would have been aware of the cars previous use as it would have been on a tender document which is how the ex company/ fleet / show / promo cars were sold.

Laz

#20 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Laz, my L34 was regoed on 10/8/74 by gmh and is Lyx601 so yours wasn't far from that date cheers Gary

#21 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

However when i got a copy of the first rego papers it lists the colour as ' lilac ' . It was painted metallic blue straight over the barney's shirt and again the flutes were blacked out

This happened at The Bend I'm thinkin?

#22 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Rodomo

yes some

Attached File  secret squirrel.jpg   91.68K   3 downloads

type stuff going on at the Skunk Works at GMH, but mulder and scully are onto it we hope lol

Edited by xu2308, 09 March 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

The 350/Z was a pure show car. Done by Holden Styling using a production 350 Coupe. No fancy running gear just some fibreglass add-ons. Sold by Holden in Feb 1974. As for the "Phase Three" Holden pure speculation. The car shown above in teal was know by the stylists as the "Old Man Emu" car. It was dreamed up by by the young stylists and produced as a mockup. Engine was not changed. Engineering had no involvement in this car - no talk of a 400ci or 454 by any of the Engineering personel. Biggest engine I ever saw in Engineering was a 427 and that was back in the HT days.
Note how the spoilers and bonnet on the Teal car ended up on the 350/Z.

Norm

They did play with a 400SBC. I'm pretty sure I know where the 400ci engine out of Old Man Emu went next. And I have GMH documentation showing the 400ci engine was at one stage planned to be standard in HJ Caprice, meaning it most likely would have been optional in HJ GTS, LS and Deville just like the 350 was in HQ (ie optional in HQ GTS, LS and Custom).
I think you made a typo above too, 2/75 not 2/74.
The polycast wheels you see on the 350/Z in the bottom photo are most likely those that ended up on the Ewe't when it was sold. They are on in when Ron Morphy had it for sale in 1975.

Edited by yel327, 09 March 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#24 _sloper35_

_sloper35_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yes typo, thanks for spotting it.
I do nor believe Engineering ever considered anything bigger than the 350 as there tapering off sbc. Design did some crasy things like fitting the Olds engine into a Coupe. I always thought the Old Man Emu car only had 400 stickers and not the engine Will ask Chris E as this was his baby.

#25 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Craig , the car has a number of mods which Harry was only to happy to tell me about , those that went to the book launch would have seen the large hole cut out around the shifter and if any had a look underneath they would have seen the spacers between the gearbox x-member and body and a look in the boot revealed a flat sheet welded in .

Question is how does he know what exactly was done to this car ? and why does it appear to be at the rear of the HDT pits at the '72 Bathurst race.

The car was owned by GMH right up to july '74 , not the usual practice for a 'colour plate ' or styling/ show car. ( it was built 19/1/72 and went straight to fishermans bend )

Hi Larry,
That other pink XU-1 was made on the same day as yours, it would be interesting to know how it was origially set up,Trim/ paint plate etc indicates 6cyl, but who knows? still a couple of secrets yet.
It certainally appears to have had a race history at some point due to the use of a hole saw on the inner pannels, but at this stage that is all unknown.

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users