my b/warner diff conversion

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

G'day,i have just put a new diff in my torrie(LX SS V8)..a borg warner replacing the standard banjo..so i will just go through what its cost me and post a coupla pics for anyone that may be thinking of doing this conversion ..

1-diff conversion(Rodtech Adelaide) $770
1-freight to Rodtech $82
1-freight return $70
1-s/hand borgy housing n axles $70
1-s/hand torrie banjo housing $150
1-s/hand lsd borgy centre $150
1-s/hand set 3.45 gears $50
2-centre bearing set 18 $38
1-pinion bearing set 6 $16
1-pinion bearing set 10 $19.50
1-set up lsd centre $100
1- pinion seal $1.70
1-diff cover gasket $1.80
1-diff cover threaded fill plug $15
1-set wheel cylinders $22
1-PBR brake hose $28
1-can of black paint $12.65

1-s/hand EA Falcon t/shaft 3" $45
1-s/hand VN Comm t/shaft free
2-2038 uni joints $28
1-tail shaft conversion & balance $250
1-use of mates workshop and hoist which included his help an the making up of new brake lines and diff oil and other workshop consumables $unknown at this stage
sub total $1919.65...soon adds up!!!
well..thats about it folks..cant think of anything else....cheers Tim
Posted Image
Posted Image
still waiting for a tailshaft
Posted Image

#2 _skidb_

_skidb_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Whats with the freight return ? this on e no good??

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

I assume freight to Rodtech for parts and donor housing/banjo for brackets... then freight back

Why drums ?

#4 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

correct Datto..the freight to Rodtech ..one pallet with two diff housings was dearer sending it there from the country pickup than the return freight with the completed diff..city pickup is cheaper..go figure..us country folk always cop it

and why drums?..coz its a nice n easy swap

#5 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

pics are back on the 11th may.. sorry

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

1-diff conversion(Rodtech Adelaide) $770 - is that including axles or just the housing?

#7 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

1-diff conversion(Rodtech Adelaide) $770 - is that including axles or just the housing?

yeah mate..that is the housing and axles..because my diff is narrower than std lx torrie 1395mm to fit big tyres they had to shorten and respline both axles..normally with b/w diffs they only have to shorten 1 axle

and of course redo stud pattern to your choice..i just kept it torana because i was also reusing std drums

Edited by lxssv8, 02 May 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#8 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

I had mine out of a VQ stato and luckily had a spare banjo hanging about. The whole conversion cost me $680 with shortening (I didn't change stud pattern as I wanted to keep it commodore) the workmanship of this place is second to none. When I told the engineer who had done the diff for his report he said "I don't need to really look at it, Rod is one of my old students and the best there is at this sort of thing"
I would say, judging from quotes of other places (that obviously didn't have the jigs already made up) it would be well worth the return freight to use these guys.

#9 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

I had mine out of a VQ stato and luckily had a spare banjo hanging about. The whole conversion cost me $680 with shortening (I didn't change stud pattern as I wanted to keep it commodore) the workmanship of this place is second to none. When I told the engineer who had done the diff for his report he said "I don't need to really look at it, Rod is one of my old students and the best there is at this sort of thing"
I would say, judging from quotes of other places (that obviously didn't have the jigs already made up) it would be well worth the return freight to use these guys.

couldnt agree more..they have done an excellent job and i can recomend them to anyone

Edited by lxssv8, 03 May 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#10 _dansa_

_dansa_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

What size wheels can you fit in the guards with the shorter diff? did you need to alter anything else to get this length?

#11 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

G'day dansa,nothing else was changed apart from shortening both axles and of course the housing tubes to match..we just had to make up new brake lines and the brass t block brake tag was welded in exactly the same spot as std banjo torana..easy.

Even the Selby/K Mac type sway bar bolted up in the same spot.

The wheels ive got have been on there for 20 years +..rears are 14x8 Globeline with 265x60 Goodrich tyres(wide suckers..which ya cant get anymore?)but theres still 20-25mm from the inside of tyre to shocker..but ive also had the guard lips rolled and pumped slightly 5mm..and the rear is lowered 2-2 1/2 "
i'm gunna have to get the exhaust probably altered coz the mufflers are very close to the new 3" tailshaft..but otherwise all good.

i'll try to post up some pics of the wheels when i'm able to
cheers Tim

Edited by lxssv8, 08 May 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#12 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

Edited by lxssv8, 11 May 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#13 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

heres a coupla pics of how my wheels sit in the guards
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 _parsons5000_

_parsons5000_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm looking at a 9 inch that's total measure is 1400 mm drum face to drum face is that to short ??

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Depends on the wheel offset.

#16 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Re-hashing an old-ish thread here, but of the three Sydney diff shops I contacted this week, they all wanted around $1100 to shorten and re-spline the VN V8 BW I have, cut the brackets off the Banjo I am supplying and weld them on the Borgy. That seems stupid money to me, for what is essentially a welding job, and only one axle and axle tube needs work. Or am I missing something? I know a jig is ideal, and you are paying for that, but after having seen RodTech's price, I think I know where I will have to send my stuff to. Rather do without the freight hassles.

I also threw in the R31 Skyline option, and was told it was only $200-odd cheaper, despite not needing a re-spline and shorten. WTF?

Anyone know anybody else in Sydney prepared to do it for a similar price that is good?

The other option is to measure it all up and just get my local welder to weld the mounts in the right spot on a R31 diff housing. If I could work out the right pinion angle, mount point etc, that should work, shoudn't it? Or too risky? My tight Scottish ancestry is probably coming out here, but I don't see the value in $1100, especially when I see RodTech's prices.

#17 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

gday Sam..back when i had my diff done their pricing was $770 for borg warner an $990 for 9" diff..dont know if thats changed it probably has? so your pricing seems a little dear..
yes your freight would be huge unless you know a coupla guys who want diffs done and send all together an split the freight price?

the conversion consists of housing shortening, bracket removal and replacement in a jig,axle shortening and respline,change of stud pattern and new bearings and seals fitted
they are great guys to deal with and have been doing this for years..very well respected in Adelaide..Rod is a great bloke an very busy

Rodtech 08 82623230

Edited by S.S., 22 November 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Both sides need shortening with a Commodore diff and one axle needs respline (as the short one is reused as the long one), neither axles of diff need shortening with a Nissan.

IMO $500 ~ $750 is prolly ball park for the commodore diff.

Hope that helps.

#19 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks guys - that $500-700 was what I was thinking too Terra, but three shops have quoted $1100 housing and respline only! I reckon they are trying it on me. Especially when you mention new bearings, respline and seals SS in the Rodtech quote because my quotes didn't include that.

Maybe I need to go and see them face to face, might get a realistic quote that way.

I'm also thinking of just trying to work out the bracket position myself and get an r31 housing welded up. If it all goes wrong, a new diff housing isn't too expensive.

Is it possible to share accurate mounting points? Or are there too many variables? It's hard building a car when you are a tigh-arse... :-)

#20 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

My price I quoted was for cut/jig/weld work and one respline, not including any mechanical work, which will add to the cost.

Have you tried Richard at Craft or if you want to pay for quality work Terry at Bosinjak engineering?

#21 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Terra - yes, the work you mention above is all I need. I'll supply two empty housings, and would even cut the mounts off if they are confident I can cut them in the right spot. I will try Craft differential. I will try to email them too, so its clear what I want. One bloke I rang wouldn't let me get a word in, so I'm not sure he knew exactly what I was after. I was confused myself when i got off the phone! :-)

Thanks for the help.

#22 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

$1100 would be dirt cheap here...

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

My brand new 9 inch housing with new axles, bearings, studs cost me $1100 2 years ago.

#24 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

well i went for a drive in the "old girl" today and it appears i may solved the problem..had the car up on axles stands with the tailshaft out for a coupla weeks waiting for digital angle finder i had ordered but decided to put the tailshaft back in and go for a drive

one of the guys at the workshop had said another test would be to not tighten the diff yoke bolts have them "just" tight so that the coupling/yoke might centre itself?

i had also noticed i used (by accident) different bolt holes in the diff yoke flange ..since the commo yoke has 6 holes but you only use 4

anyway in about a 60 kay drive cruising at 100 kay with a few blaps of 130-140kays there were no vibrations

it was the effing commodore tailshaft diff coupling all along :<_<:

Edited by S.S., 25 November 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#25 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Good stuff, a happy ending!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users