How Many SS Toranas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _gav_

_gav_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:33 PM

Does anyone out there know how many SS toranas were made?

I bought a 6 cylinder auto SS before Xmas and thought I paid too much for it - but I forked out anyway as I'd always liked the SS hatch.

I've since found out that only 8000 or so hatches were made and figure less that a quarter have been SSs - but I could be wrong.

I will say I'm starting to feel better about my investment.

#2 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:39 AM

Well done Gav, I just sold one and I'm regretting it badly.

The sixes are getting harder and harder to find. Most have been
converted to V8s now. So sit tight!

Any pics?

There are some figures on the site somewhere, maybe in the trivia
section on how many this and that.

Remember also, that xx were made, and yy of them were SS's,
but you need to also take in to account that zz of them would have been
written off etc. Some even went to NZ, so they are getting rarer by the day!

- and the pics!? Come one, lets see it. :D

#3 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

Does anyone out there know how many SS toranas were made?

I bought a 6 cylinder auto SS before Xmas and thought I paid too much for it - but I forked out anyway as I'd always liked the SS hatch.

How much is too much?

I've since found out that only 8000 or so hatches were made and figure less that a quarter have been SSs - but I could be wrong.

How many actually have the SS styling features that represent what an SS is?
Fxxbcuk all

#4 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

Yes,you guys,me and everyone else is interested in knowing how many there were made.I think the only person here that could answer that is HG350,would also be interesting to hear how many of those had survived in original condition(no mods).

#5 _gav_

_gav_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I'd add a picture but I cant work out how to do it using this edit screen.

I paid $3800 - but it needed some tidying up. The trim needs some attention and the orignal stripes were on the car and were in poor condition. There was also some rust although the C Pillars were micky mouse.

I've given it a bit of a touch up and its not looking too bad.

Edited by gav, 08 June 2006 - 12:14 AM.

#6 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

Gav,
I dont think you paid too much for your SS. When I was looking at buying an SS hatch over 2 years ago, I went to check out a 6 cylinder which turned out to be an absolute sh!&box and it sold for over $4500. And if you have one without rust in the C pillars youve done well.

Matt

Edited by Orange SS, 08 June 2006 - 08:57 AM.

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

Would be nice to find this out..... Surely someone must know.... I wish mine was a real SS

#8 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

I'd be interested in knowing how many as well.

If anyone (HG350??) has the raw data, I'd have no dramas sitting down and decyphering it to get the stats that we want.

A database would be ideal. that way you could do specific searches..

cheers
Mick

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

I've offered to put it all into an Access Database which will allow you to ID a car of just about anything. No response as yet.

If we did this it should give us a fair indication of how many of each particular model variant, how many 202/V8's etc., excluding the odd weird car going round that was dealer modified, end of run misfits, etc.

#10 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

yes this would be great to find out., i also wonder how many have been written off.

Evan...

#11 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

I think that there has been tons of them getting written off,stolen,rusted and stripped for parts over the years.I reckon we would have got a shock if we really knew just how many SSs and SLRs are in the torana heaven.

#12 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

C'mon Guys!!

Someone must have the info that we need!! There are alot of people here that have the know how to better utilise the info. ie. database.

it would be great to know qty's of the different variants of SS's. eg.

3.3lt/ 4 speed,
3.3lt/ Auto
4.2lt/ 4 speed...
5.0lt/ Auto.... etc

see when you look at the official figures of 8527 (is that right) Hatches made, you then have to look at the variants of hatches. These were SS's, SL's, and Sunbirds. So working on the law of averages, that's about 2800 for each variant. Then if you look at the variants within the model, ie. SS's - 6 variations, your looking at around 470 for each variation...

We all know, or can find out, the number of SS 5.0lt - A9X optioned cars were made. 100 wasn't it??

As you can see from my rough (and I mean rough) calcs, when you break it down, I think that alot of people would be surprised just how little numbers of the different SS variants left the factory!!

cheers
Mick

#13 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

I totally agree with the idea of a data base, that way the information can be accessed by all enthusiasts and not just a small number who are lucky enough to have the info at hand, also gives people like HG350 a break from being hounded by those searching for info on there cars!

2600s

#14 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

i can host/code an online system for everyone to use, send me the data :)

#15 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

They have done it for the GT Falcs, so why not our beloveds?

I guess we have that for the A9X's, so we just have to wait for an SS
to fetch over $100K and we'll have the stats asap!!!!!! LOL

- Leakey :D

#16 _76ANX_

_76ANX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

3.3lt/ 4 speed,
3.3lt/ Auto
4.2lt/ 4 speed...
5.0lt/ Auto.... etc

see when you look at the official figures of 8527 (is that right) Hatches made
cheers
Mick

Hi Mick,

8527 Hatches is what the "Spotlight on LH & LX" says.

That makes them much rarer than my Triumph TR4, merely one out of over 40,000!!!!

HTH's
Kel

#17 _hi_psi8_

_hi_psi8_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

hi i have a ss torana hatch i have had it for about 9 yrs and it was a 6 until about 3 yrs ago i put a v8 into it (sorry guys) it is papya orange and black and i paid $5500 for it in a car yard it was in very good condition out side but the interior was shocking i since have put a whole new interoir in it and since have spent about $10,000 on it over time but someone has offered me $15,000 but its not for sale just for the fact i know they are hard rare to find and in good condition most of the ones i have seen a rust buckets and they are still fetching a bit i was lucky to find one when i did as i was 16 at the time i bought it.
I would love to know how many hatch backs left let alone how many were made
torrygirl80

#18 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

dont sell it

#19 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

Ive been pondering this question for the past 25 years. Someone please put me out of my misery :clap:

#20 _lxss5000_

_lxss5000_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

I have seen a 6cl original SS sell on ebay for I think $13,000 what does it make my SS L31 worth?

I did hear that there were only about 350 L31 (5ltr) SS hatches made but I have no idea on the others

Cheers Byron

#21 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

How rare would a unflared, aquarius hatch be? What sort of value, L31, not 253 or 202

#22 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

^^It would be hard to say how rare a aquarius L31 SS as all L31 SS still in existance are rare no matter what the color.I would think that it would probably be one of the rarer colors but I don't think it would make a difference on price.

#23 Peterpilot

Peterpilot

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Name:Peter
  • Car:SS Hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:21 AM

^^It would be hard to say how rare a aquarius L31 SS as all L31 SS still in existance are rare no matter what the color.I would think that it would probably be one of the rarer colors but I don't think it would make a difference on price.

I have a mate with an L-31 SS in original "Tuxedo" black, I wonder how rare that is?

Speaking of colours... Nice colour on that SS in your avatar kangur ^^^ :spoton:

My understanding is that compiling the stats for the information asked would involve searching ALL the microfiche slides individually. A time consuming and monumental task perhaps... but not impossible?

Another solution, which would require funding, is to digitise the data into a searchable database. A company called DataComIT can do this. They have offices in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra...

#24 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

a mate of mine just bought a rough but genuine/mostly complete,matching no ss hatch 8vd77, out if a wrecking yard here in adelaide , for not a lot ,turned out ,cottilion white, wait for it ....... genuine l31/m21/gu7 plates never touched,another one saved :clap:

#25 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Err you mean this one... http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=12213

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users