Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

My project LX hatch come fitted with a 9" diff (unknown ratio) which is massive and really heavy looking. I do appreciate the strength offered by them.
I have got my paws on a UC which I will be using as a donor car for many parts. It has this diff pictured below, is this a "salisbury" diff?
I was considering shifting back to the more light weight option as the car will only have a warmed over 4.2 in it.
From what I can understand the salisbury is stronger than the banjo. Is this right?
I like the idea of being able to fit the exhaust over top of the diff not routing it underneath as you will with the 9".
Plus reducing the unsprung weight in the rear end would help ride and handling I guess.
Would like to get some thoughts from those who run either option type to determine if this is perhaps a good or bad idea.
Cheers.

Attached Files

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yes its a Salisbury, but its the 'small' or '8 bolt' version rather than the 'large' or '10 bolt'. It would be OK with the 253 if in good nick and you drive it nicely, but realistically it basically is a Banjo with a better housing; the nine inch is a bit of dead weight but probably better to go with that if these are your only choices.

#3 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Appreciate the help mate. So the 10 bolt I hear about is the HQ series diffs?
I see the costs of a torana set up 9" on eBay and they are pretty expensive.
To keep the restoration costs under control I am really only going to work with what I have. Recondition all the bits and reinstall as required.
So luckily there I wont need to buy the 9". (though I havent costed the reconditioning cost of it)
I guess if/when the day comes to upgrade the 4.2 to the 5.0 injected motor (which was always the final plan) the drivetrain is all there.
Is it possible to still run the exhaust over top of the diff? If so what do I need to consider?
The car come with no exhaust (and not a lot of other bits) so I dont know how it was routed, all I have seen is the pipes running under the diff housing...

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yes 10 bolt (I dislike that terminology because that's really a Chev diff, something different again, but most people call them such these days) Salisbury is generally the V8 HQ-VK diff (and A9X).

I don't see why the 9 inch would take up so much room that you couldn't get the exhaust around it, the axle tubes are basically the same size. The factory ones have a very tight kink in them, they go up from the back of the mufflers do a 180 around the diff just off the floor pan by the top arm mounts then come straight down in front of the tank with a sharp bend toward the outside of the car then basically follow the chassis rail to the back. A good exhaust place can do a bit better job of it, I'm sure there must be some photos around here somewhere...

Personally I don't mind the exhaust under the diff, if you hang it so you just barely get clearance at full suspension droop and don't drop it down until it has to clear the diff then you won't have any ground clearance issues and its a much smoother run.

#5 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Dont really want to go through the process of sourcing and modifying another diff to fit the hatchback.
There may be someone who might swap one of those diff's for my 9" if I were to g that route.

I dont have the car here atm - at the panel shop - so cant gauge the axle tubes, just remember the diff being massive looking.

The exhaust run would mirror what we see on the above pic I guess, pretty tight - must really mess up the exhaust flow?
Some pics of the exhaust both ways would be useful...anyone?

#6 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

the other thing too is, and correct me if i am wrong, the 9" isnt that much heavier than the banjo and sals. its probably not enough to actually notice.

cheers

#7 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Jacob, it may well be the 9" will remain, need to sus the ratio when I can get to the panel shop. Hope it is around 3.0:1 cause we are keeping the M20 for now. 3.5 is far too revvy.

#8 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

not sure if the 9" have the ratio stamped onto the yoke dust cover? may very well be but not always accurate as the crown can be different.

#9 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

lift it up ...mark the tyre....spin the tyre ten times...count how many times the tailshaft moved round ...divide by 10....that's your ratio...
or just pull off the rear cover and count the teeth on yoke/crown wheels and divide

and i think it worked out at a 30 odd kg difference between the bango and a 9"
and 10-15 kg between the borg warner/sals
so in the scheme of things....sfa

Edited by Quagmire, 13 June 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

I would love to loose 15kg here and there, especially unsprung weight.

#11 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

you can.....just be prepared to refit bango rear ends all the time....
or a alloy housing etc to a 9"

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

I will go half way and stick with the BW thanx all the same.

Now if only full floaters were within the budget.

#13 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

hrmmm unsprung weight.

have a big dinner and bring home a boot of shopping and you are out of luck.

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

UNsprung, thats weight NOT supported by the springs.

#15 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Aside from the weight saving,its always a good thing to remove the fraud infection from your car completely before it spreads.

Pour dettol on your car after removal to make sure the sickness doesnt return.

#16 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

15 - 30 kgs is quite a bit of weight the suspension needs to keep under control.

ford diffs, yeah I know next we will be fitting clevelands & top loaders! :blink:

#17 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

well how about have a big dinner, somehow sit on the diff and hang your shopping off the axle tubes?

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hmmm dinner *in the Homer Simpson voice*

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Plenty of folk, myself included have twin 2.5 inch systems over the top of a nine inch in a LH/LX. Some adventurous folk have even managed to get a 3 inch pipe over a nine inch. My hatch has them under the diff unlike the sedan and they are a pain. Go over if you can.

#20 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

yeah rexy would like to keep them up & over the diff, so 2.5" pipes fit....sweet
3" is a bit massive on a warm 4.2 me thinks anyways

#21 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

lift it up ...mark the tyre....spin the tyre ten times...count how many times the tailshaft moved round ...divide by 10....that's your ratio...

that may work if its a LSD and both wheels are jacked up, but otherwise see:http://www.gmh-toran...sed-5min-check/

Looks like the diff is probably the original on the UC, check the code on the build plate and do a search for it here.

see:http://www.gmh-toran...dpost__p__35032, believe the codes are the same for UC, the gu9 was the 3.9(4cyl), the 3.5? may have only been fitted to the manual 173. auto 173 got 3.3
202s generally got 3.08 in auto or manual,

Edited by torbirdie, 15 June 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#22 _gearex_

_gearex_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

id personally stick with the 9 inch, the small salisbury diff has the same axle spline & hemisphere as a holden gemini!! something to think about behind a holden v8! lol

#23 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

the UC pictured was originally a sunbird so I suspected it was a 3.9 but did the spin test and it looks like its a 3.08 open diff
probably was changed over when the 202 went in it but it still has the opel box fitted (standard sunbird??? some sixes got them too I think???)

thanks for the advice Jay, I see you have a background in diffs and what not so advice like that is totally welcome and helpful with deciding on the 9".

#24 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

thbut it still has the opel box fitted (standard sunbird??? some sixes got them too I think???)

Opel box? you mean the mc6 which was known as the philipino box, yes i believe some sixes got them.

#25 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

thats the one...seems ok in operation, not that i will ever need or use it

1 user(s) are reading this topic