Winton Festival of Speed 2012

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Anyone heading there next weekend for a look or race?

#2 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Monza1, 2ELCS and i are going, driving the torana's down friday night

#3 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

:useless:

Obviously there are none yet, but please be forthcoming when there are :spoton:

#4 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

What is it about what sort of cars are expected? Hopefully not those boring V8 super car things, cheers Aaron.

#5 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

from what i seen on the idiot box there will be classic touring cars ie torries GTs and the like

#6 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thank Hutch, sounds good that's what I wanted to hear, cheers Aaron.

#7 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

There's Grp C & A class, the Grp NC (mustangs, camaros etc) have a 25 lap race & top ten shoot out

It's def worth a look

#8 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

This is taken from the VHRR site

HISTORIC RACING TOURERS TO STRUT THEIR STUFF
Extravaganza for ‘Festival of Speed’

Touring Car Devotees of the Brock, Moffat, Bond and Geoghan eras will be able to journey back in time to see tin-top racing as it used to be in the third annual ‘Festival of Speed’ staged at Winton Raceway’s long circuit.

All the famous Marques will feature – from the early Falcon GTs and Monaros, to Mustangs and to Camaros, nimble Toranas, the thundering A9Xs to the turbo cars of the eighties.

Touring Car legend, Murray Carter will be the event’s patron.

Held over the August 11 & 12 week end, the ‘Festival of Speed’ promises to be the biggest and most spectacular ‘Festival’ yet, with an expected entry of some two hundred and fifty historic racing and display cars worth many millions of dollars.

Organised by the Victorian Historic Racing register (VHRR), one of the highlights for the weekend will be the ‘Rose City Touring Car Trophy’ race for historic tourers from the 1950s to 1972. 

It will also feature a ‘Top Ten shoot-out’ for grid positions, followed by a twenty five lap race with a mandatory pit stop.

The other touring car feature race is a planned Group C & A ‘Trophy Race’ for touring cars from early 70’s to the early 90’s.  These will all actually be genuine Australian touring cars with authenticated racing pedigrees.  Some of these war horses are valued up to half a million dollars each!

The Festival’s Race Committee Chairman, Ian Ross, said the continuing competitor growth and spectator interest in historic racing was being mirrored by Winton’s Festival.

“Research has shown that people from all Victoria and New South Wales came to the last Festival and, as the event is becoming larger and better known, spectator numbers are expected to increase,” said Ross.
The meeting will also feature the very popular Group S sports and GT cars, including the fast and spectacular Corvettes, Shelbys and Pantera V8s.

“With the first two ‘Festivals’ attracting grids of up to two hundred and twenty cars, the expectation is that this year’s event will see a larger field approaching two hundred and fifty entrants.  So far competitor interest has been very encouraging,” said Ross.”

As well as the full race program the ever popular Division One and Two Regularity is on the program, plus a full field MGs, sports, Formula Fords and other open wheeler racers, including Formula Atlantic and Formula Two.

Once again the Festival will form part of the VHRR’s annual championship, which includes the famous Phillip Island classic and Sandown Historic events.

Categories for the 2012 Festival will be:

Division One regularity and invited cars.
Division Two regularity and invited cars (including race cars with no log books).
Group SA, SB.
Group SC.
Group N over 3 litres and invited cars.
Group N under 3 litres.
Group M, O Sports and racing plus Formula Vs.
Group J. K. Lb.
MGs.
Formula Ford Fa, Fb, & Fc.
Group C & A.
For further information:
·         Ian Ross 0412 351 403 VHRR
·         Colin Fulton 0407 327 248 VHRR
·         Lachlan Mansell 03 57664235 OR MOBILE 0403937111

#9 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Counting down!!

#10 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Same here! Cars ready to rumble!
We have to do a bit of test & tuning Friday though

#11 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

the 25 lap race for Group N has been reduced to 20 laps. The comptitors asked for it to be the same as last year and it was reduced as asked for.
I believe the main reason was that most cars would have to to a pit stop for fuel and the current regulations are very hazy as to what sort of fueling sysytem we would have to have for that happen.
Most cars have race fuel cells that do not allow for dry break fuel filling sysytems to be easily fitted.

Still it should be a good weekend if the weathewr gods play along with us

Edited by piquet, 06 August 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#12 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

20 or 25 they are still very good to watch!

#13 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Definetly agree with those sentiments. Just wish that I could get my licence back to go and join the rest of the group.
Still have to race on the long circuit so may have to try and get it back for next years event.

I was diagnosed with a chronic blood cancer earlier this year and am just waiting till I get the oncologist to give me the OK and I will get the GC licence back again.

Hoping to get back into racing via the regularity at Sandown historic in November. So watch out for a linamint LC XU1 in regularity. Not worried about points just want to get out there again and see if I still enjoy it. If I don't I will retire and just help out other competitors
Cheers
Peter Sneddon

#14 _ht467_

_ht467_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Plan to try to get up there Sunday for a look. New engine went to the Dyno today to get run in so all going to plan for sandown V8's for me.

#15 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hope all goes well for you piquet!

That hatch with "FATBAK" on the plates sounded real good in the demo laps

#16 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Rod. By the way have you been in contact with the original owners of your L34. I would be interested if either Rod or Russ Mc rae showed any interest in the car.

I went to school many years ago withRrod Mc Rae. I'd be interested in maybe catching up with him. Last I heard he had the honda dealership in Ferntree Gully on Burwood Highway.
cheers
peter

#17 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

We came down too see you Rod, but you were busy everytime. Car looked great sliding round in the last race.
The parade laps on the Saturday were better than on Sunday.

#18 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

We came down too see you Rod, but you were busy everytime. Car looked great sliding round in the last race.
The parade laps on the Saturday were better than on Sunday.

Hey, sorry about that, It was a pretty busy weekend all round to be honest! The car came home straight so that was good though!

Edited by Dustings, 13 August 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#19 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Any photos from the day? Sounds like a great event.

#20 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Steve Perrots A9X, awesome job winning group c!

Posted Image

And my L34

Posted Image

#21 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Nice

#22 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

I really need to get on these forum's more often, I would of loved to come up as it looked like a top day.

#23 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hi Daniel, I will let you know next time, I didn't know if I was going or not till about 8am sunday morning due to the weather. Cheers Aaron.

#24 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Dont stress mate. This time of year makes it hard to plan any nice drives in the good cars anyway.

#25 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi Daniel, I will let you know next time, I didn't know if I was going or not till about 8am sunday morning due to the weather. Cheers Aaron.

The weather only turned good during Fridays practice, was feral wed/Thursday!

Anyone else take any pics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users