• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2023 - 10:39 AM

Cheers fellas!

Brad, there is so much that has gone wrong in this build, it would be very dishonest to not share at least some of it! Haha

Rob, that is of course true about keeping both ends in mind, but I think I have some idea of what the front end wants (it's now got about as much front spring as I am comfortable with in the front end for a road car, it has always had a fair bit of ARB in it, plus the body control from the dampers is probably now as good as it'll ever get) and the next step is not to say that the suspension in the car is even wrong, rather that I may need to compromise it to make the TrueTrac diff work when I'm throwing the car around. They are a street car diff, not a race car diff, and I'm beyond their limit with what is happening currently.

The fibreglass bonnet has been fighting with the bonnet stops on the rad support panel, and a slight crack had developed in the fibreglass bonnet frame. Been wanting to attend to this for a while:

wl9taP7.jpg

Turned an old stainless paint scraper blade into some brushed spreader plates to tidy it up and stop it happening again.

4LeYNsa.jpg

0UCNU8l.jpg

NYCAZ0x.jpg

Cool.

I also find that when I close the barrel vents in the middle of the car and pump the fan up high to demist the windscreen, it doesn't have much grunt because a lot of the fan's effort is coming out of the footwell vents, where you could roast potatoes. I don't have a mechanism to close off the footwell vents, so I figured I should restrict how much air they can flow and see if that improves things. I cut up some small ABS plastic sandwich panels with some smaller holes to restrict the flow and hopefully put a bit more into the demist area. I haven't tested this yet and it may take some tuning, but it's very easy to open up and modify again if it's not right.

MByaW9S.jpg

AbFAHJp.jpg

And I had the dash out to check & fix a few little things. The barrel vents in the sides of the dash were a little "loose" (not keeping their position at highway speeds when the airflow is a lot stronger), I cut some thin plastic washers out of an aerosol can dust cover and used them as shims to increase the pre-load on the pivot point when I clipped them back in. They are nice and tight now.

EOVKcXV.jpg

Xeo5xV1.jpg

I've also had the shits how I've put the "Check Engine" light into the lower dash, and it has always looked pretty out of place, with everything else in a round hole of the fascia being a black knob with a chrome surround.

oD8SGEF.jpg

Whilst it's not practical to build a knob and put the light inside it, and it's even hard to put a chrome bezel around it, I at least put it in the lathe and took a little cut off the black anodised aluminium so it's raw ally, and polished it up a bit.

pSgHEly.jpg

uDvYZT6.jpg

Not perfect, but a little bit closer to matching the design language.

The car is going into MotorEX Street Elite class this weekend, which is once again another huge milestone for me and the car. There were a few jobs that had to be completed before this could happen. 

I've been putting off the rear spoiler for like a year and a half. I got it fitting sweet in primer, it stayed with the painter during lockdown, and somehow when I got it back, it had opened up and didn't fit acceptably. It would not touch on the leading edge and the lock barrel area without a huge amount of force. I have since ground a lot more of the inside out to weaken it and have recently been clamping it up in various ways using plastic strapping and F-clamps in different spots (off the car) to distort it so that it would glue on without too much tension. The other day I managed to do a dry-fit that looked acceptable:

PMnQZzl.jpg

dWiWRBV.jpg

So I took the plunge. Sanded the hatch lid:

Kl9Emfi.jpg

And these sections on the quarters:

x2gP46R.jpg

Spooge:

5r660N6.jpg

And painstakingly, after lots of clamping, swearing, applying and cleaning adhesives in different areas, it looks pretty good:

gS2Ay69.jpg

Sanded out the worst paint defects in the most visible area and hand polished that area to prepare for the graphics:

s5lm4XK.jpg

i9voGcQ.jpg

Also, while on display at Summernats I found it a bit tricky as I wanted to leave the door a bit ajar to help people look inside the car, but it was just moving around and at risk of hitting the posts around the car, for MotorEX I wanted this a bit more sorted.

I grabbed a stainless washer, cut off a small piece of stainless tube, and found old stainless steel drawer handle and belted the shit out of one of the bent ends until it was straight:

zeKGX6I.jpg

Welded that sucker together:

mdeaOzM.jpg

And vuola, this will hold the door in a nice fixed part-open position and look tidy:

XPTrRSF.jpg

w4MgJSG.jpg

#1902 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:13 AM

Graphics???

P.S. I reckon you should start mass-producing those stainless steel door stays, I can see a reasonable demand for those on the show circuit!

Edited by Bigfella237, 03 May 2023 - 11:13 AM.

#1903 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:09 PM

Love your attention to detail Heath. Just hope it doesn’t give you too many sleepless nights, as I know it would me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1904 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:12 PM

And not just show displays. If you happen to be space restricted where you play with your toy, it would prevent the wind swinging the door open into the nearest hard surface.

#1905 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:33 PM

I'll be at motorex on Saturday, I'm very keen to see this in the flesh for first time!! If I see you near it I'll say hi

#1906 jeffblanco

jeffblanco

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Mando
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 May 2023 - 05:19 PM

That's a great fit with the rear spoiler Heath, my car has to go to a panel shop to fix the abortion.

I don't think they even bothered to test fit it before they painted the pieces.

Regards Mando.

#1907 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 May 2023 - 09:54 PM

Brad, there is so much that has gone wrong in this build, 

I'd call it an evolution.

#1908 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 10:00 PM

What brand rear spoiler you using? I'm doing a glue on, but mine is a long way from fitting like that.

#1909 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:01 AM

I've posted here about the graphics before. It'll all be on show at MotorEX.

It actually makes me sad when I think about the work I did to the fibreglass panels. I really did not enjoy that part of the car build at all, and I'm just not happy with a few sections on the car which are the fault of the fibreglass.

The hatch lid and rear spoiler are both Repliglass, the post below shows some of the work I did, but really, it is not practical to try and explain the scope of work to get them ready for paint.

https://www.gmh-tora...atch/?p=1049923

That's a great fit with the rear spoiler Heath, my car has to go to a panel shop to fix the abortion.

I don't think they even bothered to test fit it before they painted the pieces.

WHAT!?

Love your attention to detail Heath. Just hope it doesn’t give you too many sleepless nights, as I know it would me.

You can bet your arse it does lol.

#1910 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2023 - 12:55 PM

I concur with you on the rear bob tail, was my most hated job when I did mine, glassed the 3 pieces together with a strip of aluminium on the back so I could put screws from inside to hold it flat, then cut through the rear spoiler to get even gaps and sand flat! Was itchy for weeks.

#1911 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:38 PM

Yeah mine is repliglass. Has a 6mm gap to the hatch panel right across the spoiler tested on 2 steel and 1 f/g hatch panels.

I haven't got onto this task yet so haven't worked out how to fix it.

#1912 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:31 PM

Motorex is huge mate, can't wait to see pics.

#1913 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:44 AM

This one will be there too.

Attached Files

#1914 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:58 AM

^ Now that's about the same sized shed I need!

#1915 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:23 PM

Shame it's at the showgrounds. I don't imagine parking being easy to find.

#1916 clarky9999

clarky9999

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 10:44 AM

Gday Heath, stood and stared at your car yesterday at Motorex, bloody good to see it in the flesh and its a credit to you.

#1917 seabreeze

seabreeze

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Name:Simmo
  • Car:VN V6 VE L98

Posted 07 May 2023 - 09:06 PM

Saw your Torana at Motorex. Looks factory, custom and garage built all at the same time! So many little details that i wouldn't pick without this build thread. Graphics look great too.

#1918 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:13 PM

Stoked you guys were able to have a good look at the car. I spoke to a number of forum members and loved that. Put a few faces to names and also met a shitload of other Torana people who wanted to know all about it. Bloody brilliant.

Some friends of mine just parked at the Coles, but the event parking is $20 so best if you can split it between a few. There's plenty of it, as much bigger events happen at the showgrounds than MotorEX.

The Render Garage knocked up this awesome display board to help promote his work which was used to help me come up with the look of the car.

DawkFZF.jpg

So hot!

QbU5GeP.jpg

There are two ways to get a display car to MotorEX:

vnlhf0u.jpg

Had to take Friday off to bump in according to the event rules, but it gave me some more time to clean and polish things etc...

aVZnh03.jpg

w7yg6Q9.jpg

VJnr70K.jpg

3DBFDwc.jpg

8ye8S0W.jpg

2IH6rQ6.jpg

Snagged a much-needed photo on the way out with my mate John's car who was invited to be on the Liqui-Moly stand nearby. I think they make a very handsome pair.

bqtD2xa.jpg

For Summernats I had to get some things brought up by friends, but without all the camping gear, I did this show with mirrors, posts, cleaning products, all that shit in the back. Self-contained show-car loaded with smart thinking, eh?

DdCRlxQ.jpg

#1919 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:22 PM

Oh, if only that orange hatch had a blue engine bay & graphics...

P.S. That silver "Rod Shop" LC seems to be missing some bonnet protrusions now?

#1920 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:36 PM

Heath, you're going to have to fix your sign! Should read "Heath's Holden Sunbird Hatch".

#1921 Mitchyboy

Mitchyboy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Lh torana

Posted 08 May 2023 - 01:33 PM

The car looks awesome Heath!
What a beast!

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

#1922 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 08 May 2023 - 01:57 PM

“Oh, if only that orange hatch had a blue engine bay & graphics...”

Harfhaha you’re too quick, beat me to it

When you mentioned graphics Heath, I had disturbing flashbacks
to those late ‘80s gaudy street machine mag jobs
I reckon it’s really complimented your other orange bits in the car
and balanced it all up.
Just need to do the wing mirrors and wipers orange now(nyuknyuk)
I wouldn’t have dreamed it would work out so good
Full points for you again

#1923 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 08 May 2023 - 02:38 PM

Agree completely - very hard to pull off graphics like this without looking tacky, but you've done it superbly. Seriously hot - and amazing how much it now makes the engine bay colour etc all just seem like a perfect fit.

Well done mate. Your car is now in my official Top 10 Torana's of all time, haha!

#1924 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2023 - 02:41 PM

Looks great, the spoiler and graphics just top it all off

#1925 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:20 PM

Nice one on the self contained display!!

Thanks for the chat mate, that was such excellent timing that I could chat to you and Al and Woody at the same time, what a bonus!

I want to point out something for other readers to appreciate... half the cars that are parked around Heaths were brought in via enclosed trailers, all fully detailed ready to show. As would have been the case in the Elite hall at Summernats.

To present your car alongside those, to a standard which equals or in some cases surpasses, is a huge feather in Heaths cap. Not to mention most of those cars are built in workshops with large cheque books.

Massive skill, massive commitment, exceptional engineering and craftsmanship. Well done mate. Legendary result.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users