The love of my life..

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I've owned this old girl for over 30 years and I doubt I'll ever part with it. It's a 1975 Bultaco Metralla GT, and it's been parked up for far too long so I recently got it back on the road and re-registered. Originally a 250, it now has a heavily modified Mk8 Pursang 360 (motocross) engine fitted. It doesn't make a million horsepower but it doesn't have to; it only weighs a shade over 110kg. It's the sweetest handling bike I've ever ridden, and like all good two-strokes it's raucous, smelly and stupidly quick. It's fun on wheels.

Bul1.jpg?NSID=nu2eV4

Bul2.jpg

Bul3.jpg

Bul4.jpg

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Good to hear Oldjohnno,

Cannot see your pictures. Dave I

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Bul1.jpg?NSID=L69j6M?NSID=nu2eV4

Bul2.jpg

Bul4.jpg

Bul3.jpg

Fixed it, very nice OJ.

Cheers. 

#4 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Something wrong here, pics show for a while then disappear (I demand my money back!!!!) :)

Here are the links if anyone really wants to see the pics:

http://www.oldjohnno...images/Bul1.jpg

http://www.oldjohnno...images/Bul2.jpg

http://www.oldjohnno...images/Bul3.jpg

http://www.oldjohnno...images/Bul4.jpg

Edited by oldjohnno, 22 December 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#5 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yep,

I restarted my computer and still no, then I cleared my Cache and Hey Presto

#6 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nice  bike John. 

I used to race bikes and the Campbeltown Motor cycle club had an older gent with a 250 and also a 350, the 350 was a weapon at full noise down the main strait at Oran Park , it had a flat set of bars and I spent quiet a lot of time talking exhaust chamber lengths and dimensions.

He made all the exhaust for the two bikes   himself.

Very nice example and in great condition. 

i'm cleaning up my KTM 640 Motard up over the holidays as well.

#7 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks Grant. Yeah, the chamber dimensions are critical; the one in the pic is the third one I've made for this engine. It works well but I'm going to add about an inch to the belly to lower the peak rpms a tad.

#8 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Pretty cool, I had a Bultaco Sherpa T way back when. :)

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Old J.....I'm not a bike guy at all...but that is a tuff lookin old bike mate

#10 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

Wow

#11 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

that bike has a lot of character about it...nice

#12 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Tuff Stuff!

#13 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

Freak'n love it, My brother had and raced a Mk 8 Pursang, I had a Sherpa S 175 when I was really young....   still love Bultaco's today, there something about those torquey 2 stroke motor's that no one else can match....   I think from memory, the Mk 10 370 Pursang is still the lightest Open Class Motocross bike ever made... 

Thanks for sharing Oldjohnno....  :)

#14 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for all the kind words, and to the website fairies for restoring the pics overnight :)

Of course these projects are never finished no matter how long you have them. Next on the list is a TSS seat and a 300mm disc with a Tokico six pot caliper - the Honda brake that's on it at the moment can't quite cope.

#15 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

Nice little bike!...that would be fun on the Gillies range,, BT45's all round?

#16 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

It's actually an ancient Pirelli Phantom on the back, and surprisingly it's still sticky after all these years. Pretty much everything I've ridden in recent years has had massive radials fitted (and I suspect that looks play a big part in this) and it's a bit of a shock to go back to smaller, old school tyres. The sharpness and precision of the steering with smaller tyres is a pleasant surprise.

#17 _fb delivery_

_fb delivery_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hey Johonno

love the old bullie's

here is a few of my old one's

http://www.fbekholde...14544&start=465

p32 down near the bottom of the page

Rob

#18 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

I was a bit surprised at the interest in the old Bully, so I'll bore you with more details. Frame and suspension is all stock and works well. The front wheel was originally a 19" with a nice TLS brake; I changed this for an 18" from a Honda CB250RS. It's a lot nicer around town with the smaller wheel yet still doesn't get twitchy at speed. Unfortunately the brake will have to be upgraded though - despite coming from a heavier bike it's just not up to it. The stock instruments were pretty bulky so I changed them for a single electric speedo in a homemade alloy bracket. The usual clip-ons and rearsets and a fibreglass Ducati front guard are also there. The original friction steering damper was swapped out for a hydraulic.

The engine is from a Mk8 Pursang 360 MXer and is at 86mm bore so is around 370cc. The porting is to Naitoh & Namura's formulas and I'm happy to say the engine did exactly what it was meant to do. The bottom end got some attention too, with alloy packers welded into the case halves to help guide the flow into the barrel. The crank halves had their inner faces ground and radiused, again to help flow into the transfers. There was a fair bit of material removed so it took some work to get it back into some sort of balance. Buls have always had a weirdly shaped exhaust passage in the barrel so this was reshaped using an insert or "tongue" attached to the exhaust flange. The pipe itself is homemade and version number 3. It's about as far as I'm game to go - there's more power to be had in the pipe but it's at the expense of piston temp, and big-bore two strokes are looking for an excuse to grab the piston at the best of times so I'll be happy with what I've got for now. The carb is a VM40 Mikuni bored to 42mm on a homemade stub and ignition is a YZ125 Yamaha CDI with a button rotor and a dual output Dynatek coil. Yes that's a K&N filter and it's utter fuking garbage. The head has had the chamber reshaped and retains the twin plugs. I also fitted a compression release - it's damn near impossible to kick over without it and it'll skid the rear wheel if you try to bump start it even in 4th gear. The decompressor makes it easy or at least possible to start it. Clutch is Barnett. There's a lightweight li-ion battery under the seat for lights and blinkers etc; the YZ ignition has no charging facility.

It's never seen a dyno so I don't know what it makes - 60ish maybe? Doesn't sound like much but remember it's 110kg, it certainly doesn't feel slow compared to my old GSXR. Just a lot louder and more fun.

#19 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Johnno, had in the day a 360 Frontera and a Mark 81/2 Pursang.360 The 81/2 was a version that had some running changes mid model and if I recall correctly, to do with the exhaust specs mainly. Bert Flood gave them this designation so don't know if it was official. I recollect that when I first started  to ride the Pursang in flat track/ short circuit evnts I was disappointed with the way it felt compared to the Jap big bore strokers of the day. They had the uncanny ability to put ALL that power to the ground and were in fact VERY quick bikes to ride. A friend of mine who is a former Victorian MX champion still rides one in greybeard class MX. He has various mods on his, including ignition etc, and says on the dyno 36BHP at the rear wheel, does not sound a lot does it? It still goes like it has twice that.                 ENJOY!!

#20 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

That's interesting, I hadn't heard of the Mk8-1/2 before. I wonder what they changed? And I know exactly what you mean about not feeling or sounding anywhere near as fast as they actually are. They just seem to be loping along unless you have something else along for comparison. One of my all time favourites was the old Mk5 (I think) 325 Pursang, I'd love to get hold of one. Very quick, higher revving than the 360/370s and like nearly all the 'Sangs quite beautiful. Scared the crap out of me many a time as a skinny youth.

But what I'd really love to do is build a cafe-style streetbike around a 490 Maico engine... those things were brutal..

Maico490.jpg

Edited by oldjohnno, 23 December 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

I had the same idea with an IT490 or similar......So many project ideas so little time.

Cheers. 

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

Stickers.... ricer :P

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

LOL ^ 

I noticed the K&N sticker and was like WTF? 

#24 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Stickers.... ricer :P

Ouch. :D

It looked really bland without the stickers so I slapped em on. As for K&N, the sticker works much better as decoration than the filter does as a filter...

Edit: Maybe rip them off and replace them with some that are more "period correct" ?

Edited by oldjohnno, 24 December 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#25 _fb delivery_

_fb delivery_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hey Johonno

love the old bullie's

here is a few of my old one's

http://www.fbekholde...14544&start=465

p32 down near the bottom of the page

Rob

wtf happed there

0 user(s) are reading this topic