DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Taken from my Facestalk Buy & Sell Page

STOLEN 1976 LX SS Hatch, maroon, unreg, not running, 308 top loader 9" tail shaft missing. If anyone has any information please contact Mark on 0429 929 210.

Am trying to get some pics

#2 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Its an epidemic with these lowlifes striking yet again.

Need pictures.

IMHO everyone needs to take care and be aware of who knows what about your pride and joy. These scum are targeting these old cars. Because most are hidden or like this one not drivable (in sheds etc), these ferral scumbags must be getting their info from somewhere (it can't always be luck)

Edited by LXSS350, 15 February 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#3 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Seems to be a large proportion of cars from WA too, which is strange considering there would be far more Toranas over this side of the country.

These scum do follow the money though. I remember when the tourism and building boom was on in Cairns in the 90s all manner of unsavoury characters were coming up from down south to try their luck.

Maybe you need to get these pics to transport companies also ? WA is a bit too underpopulated to get away with driving these cars around retagged I would think ?

Anyone who does a ground up rebuild should be hiding some kind of identifying mark on the shell somewhere and photographing it.

Edited by Lazarus, 15 February 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#4 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Its more than likely that most of these non found cars will be sold as parts, so anyone buying s/h stuff needs to keep vigilant. Can be big $$ in the parts and unlike a whole car its far harder for police to prove stripped parts are stolen.

#5 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

The biggest piss off with this is that if the offenders are caught the bastards get off scot free coz they didn't get a red peddle car when they where kids,and if you catch the bastards and give em a flogging the coppers don't believe you when you say oh he tripped and smashed his knee caps on the baseball bat I left at knee height,and then the clumsy idiot then bumped his head on the door ..... 3 times
The fine for pirating DVDs is greater than murder is so what hope do we car enthusiasts have of getting fair justice,my LJ is a 4 year project that I have spent a good deal of $ on,It lives in the shed under lock and key,usually at night behind 2 other cars and a gate,it will be insured but no amount of money will replace mine and friends time,sweat,blood,tears and bad language,hopefully they get the car back
Phillip

#6 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

All I can say is Shannon's project insurance. Your looking at like 20 something a month, cannot go wrong.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Its an epidemic with these lowlifes striking yet again.

Need pictures.

these ferral scumbags must be getting their info from somewhere (it can't always be luck)

Forums like this one are a good start + business houses you take your car and/or parts to for repairs/mods etc. The business owner may be honest and reputable but what about their employees?

#8 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Forums like this one are a good start + business houses you take your car and/or parts to for repairs/mods etc. The business owner may be honest and reputable but what about their employees?

Everyone needs to remember that word of mouth (even though it might seem like harmless chatter ..... in most cases) can still be heard by those whom might commit such scumbag acts.

Absolutely I agree that trust has to be earned not a given. I have been burnt before.

#9 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Its more than likely that most of these non found cars will be sold as parts, so anyone buying s/h stuff needs to keep vigilant. Can be big $$ in the parts and unlike a whole car its far harder for police to prove stripped parts are stolen.

I'm not so sure about this.

What would you get for parts, maybe 5 - 10k tops for a Hatchback or early Monaro ? As opposed to buying some SS or GTS tags off eBay, giving it a quick paintjob and getting 50 - 100k ? Maybe it's a big crime syndicate and they are going to collectors in China or the US etc. Most stolen art, poached ivory etc is going to illegal collections.

The world is overflowing with uber rich arseholes these days unfortunately.

Something tells me this is not just joyriders and small guys making a few bucks on parts.

#10 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

If this car has no tailshaft, it means trailer or tow truck some one neighbours must have seen something??

#11 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

The uber rich can afford to buy it and often prefer the rarer collector models.

I agree that it's unlikely to be joyriders, they're too young to know how to steal a Torana nor would be interested, preferring newer ricier cars.

Stripping for parts is also a slow way to get your money, you can’t just flog everything on ebay the day after.

It’s likely to be sold to some crim doing a resto and/or number job or possibly as a payment to a drug dealer who’ll store it in a warehouse till he figures out what to do with it.

s

#12 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

It’s likely to be sold to some crim doing a resto and/or number job or possibly as a payment to a drug dealer who’ll store it in a warehouse till he figures out what to do with it.

s

That's what my money is on.

But I agree word does spread. Take my car for instance, I've had it for 4 yrs & prob only a handfull of mates have even seen it let alone helped me work on the bloody thing, but my sisters boyfriend was helping me lift the engine in & out one wkend & that Monday he started a new job.
He got talking to a bloke about what he did on the wkend helping me out & other bloke at his work overheard & came up to him and said" hey isn't that Nigel's car?"
Turns out that a mate of my mates works their as well & he knew about it as there's not a lot of Harrop blown ls1/glide toranas around.

So you have to be extra carefull these days as it only takes someone to say something & someone else to overhear it or someone putting up a random Facebook photo for some dodgy prick to start planning.

Cheers, Nig.

#13 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Yeah but the uber rich often employ other people to locate and purchase these goods for them.

And in the case of extremely rare combinations or historical significance don't necessarily care how the goods were obtained, as in art thefts etc.

Not many thieves would be stupid enough to go to all that trouble and risk then throw away a shell potentially worth 50k+ I wouldn't think.

Edited by Lazarus, 17 February 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#14 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yeah but the uber rich often employ other people to locate and purchase these goods for them.

And in the case of extremely rare combinations or historical significance don't necessarily care how the goods were obtained, as in art thefts etc.

Not many thieves would be stupid enough to go to all that trouble and risk then throw away a shell potentially worth 50k+ I wouldn't think.

Yeah that has happened for priceless one-off artworks but we’re talking a car model in reasonable supply. The A9X being most limited of that model is < $200k, which is pittance for the uber rich.

If targeted in such a manner it’d likely be a criminal, perhaps working class; lower middle class at best.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 17 February 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#15 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'm not so sure about this.

What would you get for parts, maybe 5 - 10k tops for a Hatchback or early Monaro ? As opposed to buying some SS or GTS tags off eBay, giving it a quick paintjob and getting 50 - 100k ? Maybe it's a big crime syndicate and they are going to collectors in China or the US etc. Most stolen art, poached ivory etc is going to illegal collections.

Something tells me this is not just joyriders and small guys making a few bucks on parts.

For these scumbags the cost of the Torana to them is $0 so anything above that is profit.

Now no doubt the returns for being being able to sell it as a going legally licensed vehicle will be greater but the risk of becoming BIG BUBBA'S plaything for 4 or 5yrs increases dramatically vs selling almost impossible to trace parts.

Putting tags and changing engine & chassis no's to a set that was not stolen or reported written off would be a feat an illusionist would like to get away with. This is an incomplete SS not an A9X so its $50k and that makes it a parts only act.

I doubt a uber rich O/S collector is going to be paying for a Torana to be added to his collection of Ivory and Rembrandt's. Maybe an expat but 99.9999999% of OS people couldn't give a rats butt about an A9X or XU-1 or GTHO. They are only collectable here and even then its a bloody small market.
Look at the recently stolen Repco engined racecar - ultra rare but no market for it even as parts.

Yes I know that the fence for this stolen car will be ebay, gumtree etc or most likely some greasy scumbag panel beater that can hide the car and strip it out. Then he can charge out the panels or repairs on a legitimate customers car. Its just laundering illegally gained money. I have met many many very dubious hotrod, panel/paint, mechanical business owners that although its only personal suspicion certainly appear to act in dubious ways with hidden closed up sheds etc. A decade ago or so I saw some s/h fenders in the Sunday Times for sale in Maddington for an LX. The way they where stored behind everything made me pull out of the buy and I reported what I saw. Talked to the cops later and they agreed it was suspect but they had no proof as they had no serial numbers etc and could never prove he stole all those parts.

Edited by LXSS350, 17 February 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#16 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

99.9999999% of OS people couldn't give a rats butt about an A9X or XU-1 or GTHO. They are only collectable here and even then its a bloody small market.

True, some of the comments under this article are from baffled Americans wondering what the fascination is with this shoebox on wheels.

http://blog.hemmings...d-falcon-xw-gt/

I'm sure a lot here would agree, lol.

s

#17 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Maybe wealthy Chinese businessmen are buying them in the belief they will then be blessed with increased libido and their old fellas will grow to extraordinary sizes... ?

#18 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

they will then be blessed with increased libido and their old fellas will grow to extraordinary sizes... ?

Not sure that works out????

In 38yrs or so of me driving and owning Torana's the only thing that's got larger is my ears and the amount of gray hair coming from orifices and parts of my body that I never new even existed. The thing that has decreased is the amount of money I had in my bank account before I found all of the rust within those Torana's. ..... LOL

#19 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Not sure that works out????
In 38yrs or so of me driving and owning Torana's the only thing that's got larger is my ears and the amount of gray hair coming from orifices and parts of my body that I never new even existed. The thing that has decreased is the amount of money I had in my bank account before I found all of the rust within those Torana's. ..... LOL

ah!
but after all that you still love em!
cheers
dave mc

#20 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

ah!
but after all that you still love em!
cheers
dave mc

LOL

It's a Love Affair that only exists because I worked out it was a far cheaper vice than living with a woman.

Having a woman would have required me to gift a house every few years, so buying more cars and doing rust repairs is chump change. I am still positive that if scientists really look at our DNA that they would find that only the males are human, where females are some form of virus or plague.

Thank god at least Torana's make sense even without a service manual. :driving:

#21 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

but 99.9999999% of OS people couldn't give a rats butt about an A9X

Sweet....so that makes me one of the .000001% ! :D

#22 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

funny my car club vice president thoughts it was ok to hand out my address to a non member, couldn't understand why I was passed off, reported it a meeting and they were like its only your address anyone can find that out

A few things that really passed me of, I was overseas at the time while he was popping in, he's a shady character I wouldn't trust,  and I keep myself very private,

Its thefts like this that make you aware and concerned

#23 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

my car club vice president thoughts it was ok to hand out my address to a non member

That would piss me off too. I recall last century I used to ask people if they belonged to a club and a few mentioned they didn't trust them, too many people knowing what you own and where you live.  

s

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

funny my car club vice president thoughts it was ok to hand out my address to a non member, couldn't understand why I was passed off, reported it a meeting and they were like its only your address anyone can find that out

A few things that really passed me of, I was overseas at the time while he was popping in, he's a shady character I wouldn't trust,  and I keep myself very private,

Its thefts like this that make you aware and concerned

Exactly.

I would be red hot furious if I was you.

It's another reason why I never have joined any bs clubs etc because people stick their bib in and that stuff is private. Hell I send my mail to a PO box so that my private info will not get taken out of the mailbox. 

Its one thing for someone to know you have say a torana or an even dozen torana's, but knowing your address is a whole other level of knowledge that IMO should never be public knowledge.

As a country kid we never locked our house and I remember we used to go out to play in dads old FC and the keys where right in the ignition. That's how it was people respected other people (sure we still had scumbags thieves walking around, but far less of them)

With society today and our no cane for the kids the amount of guttersnake thieving useless people walking around is increasing daily. It makes you want to bring back the wild west where all you need is a rope and a tree or a shotgun blast right between the eyes of the thief. It would sure solve a lot of our problems.

Edited by LXSS350, 21 February 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#25 _arkwolf_

_arkwolf_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

I know people hate to hear this after there investments are stolen. But seriously, everyone running a rare car needs to buy a GPS tracking system. They are DIRT cheap in the bigger scheme of things and decrease your insurance cost. 

Jaycar sell one for around $150 and with a telstra sim card its only costing me $60 a year. Write your settings down, setup auto top-ups, hide the system and forget about it. As soon as it disappears you have 4 hours if the GPS is disconnected from the car battery to find it. On top of that you can setup parameter warning, set it up so that the parameter is just your house. So as soon as it leaves that area youll get a SMS warning, Sure it will be annoying for those times you take it for a drive. But that one time when someone isn't authorized to drive it, you'll certainly have your vechile back in no time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users