THEY KNOCKED ME BACK FOR RWC

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

Dang, went for my road today. my fault at first with the small things like a wire to my washers d/c and the gear position sticker not on correctly, but then he picked me for the parcel shelf being cut out, 1/2 inch either side of the orig holes, wants me to remove my speakers, weld a 1.6mm guage flat sheet steel above and below the holes.

Also jumped on my case about no emissions being connected, no emissions being on my 5TH month 74 LH torana.
Worst $75 bucks ive's spent in a while, and i still donthave a roady yet.

Then on the way home, my mrs EL cracked a head,
What a day

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#2 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like you had a bad day and your local inspection station seems incredibly picky. Perhaps you should take your business elsewhere to someone who is a little bit more customer friendly, especially for older cars.

#3 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

tight asses!

i hope i dont run into any issues wen i go for mine next month :blink:

#4 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Mate what a ballbreaker ! i understand that mechanics are sometimes audited by the rta or whatever there called in your state but come on thats ridiculous sounds like a real arse#### go somewhere else next time but now hes knocked you back you have to go back .

#5 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

I assume he gave reasons why the parcel shelf would not meet roadworthy? Its super pedantic but the whole car is structural due to its mono-construction...got mates with similar vintage cars..where do they go?

#6 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:15 PM

I assume he gave reasons why the parcel shelf would not meet roadworthy? Its super pedantic but the whole car is structural due to its mono-construction...got mates with similar vintage cars..where do they go?

Yes cutting the parcel shelf makes the car unroadworthy in Victoria , plenty of older cars have had it done to fit bigger speakers and if the Roadworthy Inspector sees it he is obliged by law to fail the car for it.

#7 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

take it elsewhere try and find others who have done it in your area and know of places that arent soo picky

#8 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

what state you from, ill check the books at work on wednesday to check nsw rules
on that. it does not sound right. did he say you will need a engineering report to pass rego ??

also how the f##k does he know what a standard rear parcel shelf looks like anyway

#9 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like a picky prick. take it to someone else .

#10 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:55 PM

From passed experiences I think you'll find most roadworthies are knocked back first up. Eve if there's nothing at all wrong they will keep looking until they find something. I've had this before and did what they wanted then took it back again without any probs. Didn't have to pay them again either!
My feeling is if you took it some where else they may not spot the parcel shelf but they may discover the disc's or drums need replacing or something else that would cost a packet.

#11 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

Correct me if im wrong but if you go to get a pink/blue slip and it fails your commited to that mechanic till it does pass if you go elsewhere and it is passed then doesnt the first mechanic give the rta the failed report if you dont go back within a certain time

#12 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

in nsw, if you fail you rego you get the white slip. which gives you 14 days to repair, anyone can do these repairs but you must bring it back to that inspector to recheck or you will have to pay again. when it passes the test its good for 45 days pink slip and 28 days for blue slip. if someone does not bring a car back for its recheck within the time limit we have to send a report in each end of month with how many failed etc etc and the pink/blue slip in our books get sent off as well.
so if the rta like they can recheck you car. do you know that the rta come and check our books like they do every body from time to time. they take the last 20 rego out and go the those cars and recheck them. and if they come to you door you have to by law let them check out the car. or they will cancell your rego.
lucky cause every time we have being check we have been ok.

#13 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

Thanks lx5008 i thought it was something like that !

#14 _trna76hb_

_trna76hb_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

The RTA come in out place a couple of times a year & go through rego books. Take out 20 or more inspections & go to the customers house & inspect the car themselfs.

#15 _bundy black_

_bundy black_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

G'day All
Can anyone recommend a "old car friendly" inspection station for blue slip in the Sydney Metro area.

Also what are the main areas that come under close scrutiny

Any help appreciated.
Cheers

#16 _dannylxss_

_dannylxss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

and while we are recommending RWC places one in the western suburbs of Melb would be great that understands old cars are old cars, if any one can help point me in the right direction that would be great

#17 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

Gotta feel for you, rego inspections have always been a harrowing experience for me.
I must say though with my orange Torana the return visit to rego was a dream, same inspectors looking at what I had fixed and one item I did not feel warranted fixing (rear main seal had a slight weep so I left it) they advised me that I would need to get it fixed one day and left it at that. I went away happy.

Now with my engine change once the car is on the road again I have to get my engineers report ammended and then return to the pits for them to have a look. My nerves will again be attacked lol.

Cheers
Herne

#18 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

Damn, Sounds like you have to go back to the same inspection station. I payed my guy $20 to check my car out, then he gave me a list of things to fix, I told him I might be longer than 28 days finding a correct demister fan. So he didnt give me a white slip. Came back 2 days later to get my Blue, he wrote down that i failed the first time for a couple of little things.

Brett's Automotive at Sefton, Sydney
Its at the end of Claphalm Road
9644 4575

Hes an alright guy, pretty fair. He will pick you for your ignition barrell being worn out (keys fall out while ignition is on) and a couple of other things.

Bad luck JNR ATE, that guy sounds like he got hit by the RTA once and has to be more strict now. If anything, blame the RTA grrr. Hope they dont come knocking at my door any time soon.

#19 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but here in VIC when you go in for a RWC check they don't fill in any paperwork they just write the things that are wrong on the car on a piece of paper and only when you go back and pass the test than paperwork is filled in.At least this is the way I had my RWC done.

#20 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

I think you will find that the reason he rejected your speakers in the parcel shelf is that usually the child restraint anchorage points get cut out when people fit larger speakers. That is in fact illegal. There must be one for each seating position in the rear. Either that or the speakers holes are too close to the original child restraint points and hence he may have deemed them not structually sound.

That's my spin on things..

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

Yeah i agree with Kangur,

Both times i have got RW's they have wrote me a list of things to do on paper, i have been fairly lucky with both my cars, but the HQ (with a different guy) the guys was a jerk, had no idea what he was talking about and several times i had to correct the guy, its nice to learn he is out of business now!!

The first time was fantastic, the guy was really into Toranas and he pulled out some pics of his old car to show me, had a few easy things to do, came back, he asked me if i fixed them and trusted me and filled out my RW.

The Guy is in Ferntree Gully if anyone is interested.... PM me if u want more details

#22 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

Dang, went for my road today. my fault at first with the small things like a wire to my washers d/c and the gear position sticker not on correctly, but then he picked me for the parcel shelf being cut out, 1/2 inch either side of the orig holes, wants me to remove my speakers, weld a 1.6mm guage flat sheet steel above and below the holes.

Also jumped on my case about no emissions being connected, no emissions being on my 5TH month 74 LH torana.
Worst $75 bucks ive's spent in a while, and i still donthave a roady yet.

Then on the way home, my mrs EL cracked a head,
What a day

Cheers
JNR_ATE

look at the positive

you now know what exactly you have to fix, fix it, take it back and he cannot knock you for anything else, and your cars now legally able to be registered.

We should be stoked that they are a bit fussy, as Ive seen some guys who cant even tie their laces, change stuff on cars straight after rego drunk and stoned and not get it engineered or checked. ( not saying you are this type ) but I definately wouldnt like these guys driving in the oposite lane coming towards me at 100k, when they may have left a splitpin out of a balljoint or something similar.

Correct me if im wrong but you dont have to pay when you take it back, as you have allready paid ( same as a pink slip ) and he will probably gloss over it so quick as he is not making any money from it.

But I wouldnt be taking it back to him for a pink slip next year.

cheers julian

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

i know it seems like some of the mechanics are being picky (some of them are overboard) but for the life of me i cant understand why you would not want your car fully road worthy.

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

The problem is they will be anal about 2 or three pain in the arse things, yet they let all these other more dangerous things go!

On my HQ the guy was more worried about oil and mud build up on the Pitman arm and a wheel alingment and the wrong profile tyres! than the fact the Gearbox was shit when cold, couldnt change gears, blew smoke, shagged bushes, rear Drums that need machining, stuffed steering coupling...

If someone is goin to be pedantic they should at least do it properly....

i felt no safer leaving the rw place as i did when i got there, yet he caused me headaches for two weeks

Edited by 253ToranaSS, 11 July 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#25 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

The problem is they will be anal about 2 or three pain in the arse things, yet they let all these other more dangerous things go!

On my HQ the guy was more worried about oil and mud build up on the Pitman arm and a wheel alingment and the wrong profile tyres! than the fact the Gearbox was shit when cold, couldnt change gears, blew smoke, shagged bushes, rear Drums that need machining, stuffed steering coupling...

If someone is goin to be pedantic they should at least do it properly....

i felt no safer leaving the rw place as i did when i got there, yet he caused me headaches for two weeks

yet you still drive it? :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users