Bang today! Took 34 tears!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

Picture the scene...following my secretary leaving work...4 cars in a line in a 60 zone...doing maybe 40ks...one la[QUOTE]ne each way with 1 metre strip in the middle...see 2 young girls up ahead on the median strip with a stoller...no pedestian crossing for 10 ks....the lead car driven by a women...middle of nowhere..gets to the 2 girls..slams on the brakes for them to cross in front of her!! ????
2nd car locks up...goes sideways and stops short of her by a foot...3rd car, my secrectary...locks up and hits the 2nd car..I arrive and drill my secretary in the tail..scratch one bonnet, grill, bumper..and radiator holding bar..lights are intact and nothing like the eingine moved .., small ding in front guard at the top..left guard is fine... BUGGER! Plus the bitch who caused it just drove away..The girls came up and apologised....said they were not trying to cross the road..the idiot saw them and panicked and drilled her brakes in the middle of a 60 zone!!They were pretty upset so I just said dont worry about it, not your fault...
Shit happens..Oh well..I had heaps of stone chips in the bonnet anyway!! We were so slow the air bag didnt even go off...
R

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

That suck's!!

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

40 km/h and you couldn't stop, maybe we need 20kp/h limits?

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

Whoa! Guys...It was in the VY SV8! Not the Torrie! Should have mentioned that..No dramas..will pull the WRX out of the shed and mothballs to drive down to the Torana Nationals at Parklands this weekend.
R

#5 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

We were so slow the air bag didnt even go off...

No but the bag that caused it went off :huh:

Edited by surfmaster, 13 July 2006 - 10:37 PM.

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

Surfie...You are SSSOOO correct! :clap:
R

#7 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

My daughter had much the same thing happen last saturday night on the M1 ... a car lost it went across 4 lanes, caused 7 other cars to tangle... unfortunately she was the last in line, so by the letter of the law she was at fault in hitting someone up the bum, she only has bomb insurance to cover the one she hit so it leaves her with a Barina a foot shorter and a trip to hospital in an ambulance....she is now OK but without a car... so I can relate.

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

^that really sux and how a person at cause cant be held to account.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

Serves you right for "drilling your secretary" in the tail no less! :D :spoton:

Edited by rodomo, 13 July 2006 - 11:56 PM.

#10 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

Serves you right for "drilling your secretary" in the tail no less! :D :spoton:

you ASS! :tease: lol

Damn Rory, I doubt that would ever happen in a Torry - you have to lag behind traffic so much just so you get fresh cool air into the grille so you dont overheat. I can't believe that idiot just drove away as well. grrr.

Good to hear no one was hurt though. :clap:

#11 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

Damn Rob, you beat me to it!

sorry to hear bout it Rory, what a shame, you have to drive the rex!

#12 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

LOL I'm glad i wasnt the only one that picked up on that comment ;)

but no.. ive been in teh same situation.. Cruising up to a set of lights 4 cars in a row with me at the rear... the one in teh front locks the picks on BIGTIME.. we would have been doing 60 Kph on concrete Easily...

Anyway.. Big concertina but i managed to stop the lil excel in a distance i didnt think was possible...

Reason for the braking on a green light... An ambulance was trying to cross the intersection with its lights on... :rollseyes: The ambulance driver looked at the bingle they "caused" asked the question if everyone was ok... and drove on through!

I was glad to be able to drive away from it!!

Bad Luck Rory, as you asid mate.. Shit happens! And more and more lately! People are doing crazier things that no one can predict!!

#13 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck rorym but I have to ask is your missus okay with you drilling your secretary? (My wife would kill me) Regards Mick.

#14 _age_

_age_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:14 PM

last friday my mate was in kinda the same situation, was driving home in a little hyundai sportswagon thing when a 2 into 1 merge was coming up. some prick ran my mate of the road he hit a tree and wrote off his car, the other person never stopped.
(he was travelling at only about 15-20k's he said

#15 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

If you can identify the culprit, all the other cars involved can take a class action against them.

#16 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

dam lxsstorana you bet me to that one agh!

man thats just screwed id be asking who the hell gave this woman her licience ????

cheers chevy

#17 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:32 PM

is your missus okay with you drilling your secretary?

I hope you used a sharp bit................

#18 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

If you can identify the culprit, all the other cars involved can take a class action against them.

arnt you held acountable if you ram someone from behind? I know its not allways the case that the rear car is at fault but im pretty sure you got no legs to stand on if you hit them from the rear..

Happend to my cuzin he smashed and wrote off his HQ coupe a few years ago.. Some idiot stoped at a boom gate wich is just before a set of lights, the thing was he stoped about 100 meters too short cos he shit himself when he saw the boom going down, my cuzin stepped on the throttle to beet the boom like the idiot that stopped first intended but panniced and stoped suddenly. My cuzin ended up paying the bill and got charged with careless driving(i think it was). Dont worry its all restored and back on the rd these days..

John

#19 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

You get done for reckless driving as according to the law you are meant to have enough distance between you and the car in front to be able to stop, hence last car is the party at fault and gets the ticket from the boys in blue.

#20 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:49 PM

I'd be buggered if I would try to beat the boom gate. The boom gate lights are warning lights, not Christmas tree lights at a drag strip! The warning sign reads 'Stop on red signal' not 'Hurry up the boom gate is closing. Trains don't tend to stop in a hurry either!

A good mate of mine lost his life at a train crossing. Was blinded by the glare of the sun in the afternoon and didn't see the train coming. Unfortuantely the crossing, which was situated in country NSW, wasn't equipped with boom gates.

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 15 July 2006 - 11:49 PM.

#21 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:21 AM

I see your point antelopeslr but its a split second desision you make, just like an amber light it all depends on the distance your at when you see the boom start to flash.. I tend to stop at most amber lights but other drivers i know always try to beet them.

John

#22 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:26 PM

Rorym, bad luck in being involved in the accident��one of those wrong place and time things��.don�t know how Id end up in similar circumstances.
Just in DA mode here. Who is �responsible� is a black and white case in the majority of rear end �accidents�.
If the first vehicle had stopped abruptly(quicker than reasonably possible by its tyres alone) like its wheels got trapped by grids in the road, then one could lay responsibility onto the persons responsible for the road etc, but this appeared not to be the case.

We have the case of a �woman� who was spooked by thinking that a woman with a �stroller� was going to step out in front of her, hit the brakes��..so there was no malicious intent in her actions. Despite many claiming her license should be taken away, she, by accounts, acted responsibly, and those actions caused a collision between those who were not. I wasn�t there, obviously, but perhaps the pedestrians were walking close to the roadway and the speed and direction they were moving at looked to the driver likely to result in an incident, this can happen and as a driver you never know what the pedestrian is going to do unless you have established firm eye contact, important for pedestrians to do��I too get �spooked� by motorcycles that zoom up to the stop line at a intersection and brake within the last 5m. Personally, Id rather the person react quickly to a perceived danger rather than react slowly when a real event occurs.
What if the �stroller� woman had stepped onto the road and the same pile up resulted, would the pedestrian now be deemed to be the cause of the pileup rather than the 1st driver in the line?. No, the only people that will be deemed to be at fault will be those that collided with the vehicle in front of them, they were following too closely and/or not paying sufficient attention to be able to avoid a sudden stop and as posted previously can be charged with dangerous/reckless driving.
It really is something for us all to perhaps learn something from. Most people follow too closely in traffic to be able to avoid a panic stop that could take place in front of them. I know the problem, you leave a reasonable gap and someone pulls in and takes it and you feel like you are going backwards, but that wont stand up as a defence if you do run up the back of someone. Perhaps this is where driving simulators could be used to greater advantage in giving drivers a feel for the dynamics of what will happen in those rare occasions such as Rorym has experienced.
Re amber lights, it appears many have the attitude when they see one, �if I floor it can I get over the line b4 the light turns red�, whereas the car they are following may have someone at the wheel with the attitude, �if I brake firmly will I be able to pull up b4 the line�. I wonder how many senseless collisions happen this way.

#23 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:10 PM

Re amber lights, it appears many have the attitude when they see one, �if I floor it can I get over the line b4 the light turns red�, whereas the car they are following may have someone at the wheel with the attitude, �if I brake firmly will I be able to pull up b4 the line�. I wonder how many senseless collisions happen this way.

My point exactly, I for one know many drivers who always try and beet the amber lights, as for me i decide if im too close to stop i will go forward and the first thing i do b4 i decide is look in my rear view mirror for a tailgater.

John

#24 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

NAH...I am responsible in the eyes of the law...However..no police were called so no drama..
R

#25 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

rorym bang today took 34 years i thought you ment another type of bang lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users