intermittent wiper

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

hi guys and gals who has accomplished this little luxury in their torana. i have the dash out atm so any ideas would be great.

cheers

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

i was thinking switch and mech from VK commy.

#3 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

also should ad that i want to keep the original dash mounted switch, but keep thed ideas coming.

cheers

Edited by Chamois hatch, 18 July 2006 - 09:15 PM.

#4 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

Mate,

get hold of the setup out of a UC Torana. It will connect straight up and if you don't have a choke you can use that hole for variable switch..

cheers
Mick

Edited by sstorana, 18 July 2006 - 09:13 PM.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:13 PM

^ tops, thanx.

#6 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:19 PM

now we're cooking with gasoline. sounds like a plan any other ideas....

john

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

I agree there. I did this mod to my SS about 10 years ago. I used a HZ one, but the HZ one and the UC one are just about identical.

#8 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:44 PM

RED, did you convert to the stalk on the column or keep the dash mounted wiper switch and just added another switch for the intermittent part of things?

john

#9 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

UC, HX and HZ will be the best to use. I think from memory (but not 100% sure) that the Commodore style ones work on +ve switching, not earth switching which is what the UC and HX ones do.

All it needs to fit a UC style one is to connect its earth, power to fusebox (yellow wire, I think), mount the on off and sweep time control knob, and cut the white wire from the existing windscreen wiper switch to the motor, and splice in the two white wires from the UC intermittent unit. Make sure you tag which white wire is which (ie one goes to switch, and one to windscreen wiper motor) on the UC unit before you pull it out, otherwise it will not work. If ti doesn't work, try swapping the white wires around.

When the intermittent wiper switch knob is in the off position, the wipers work as per normal via the original switch. Leaving the wiper switch off, and turning on the intermittent wiper switch activates the wipers intermittently.

Good idea to mount the control switch in the choke hole - I hadn't thought of that.

#10 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

So those ugly UC's are good for something.......he he

#11 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

you can also use a early vb commodore switch its about the size of the lx demister switch in dash. you just wire it in to suit.

#12 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

SO who is going out to rob all the wreckers of UC Intermittent Wiper Assemblies???

Get me one while you are there.

If you change to a UC stalk, then the intermittent switch goes where the old wiper switch went.

Grant..

#13 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

Heh heh - I even managed to find a UC with one up in a Darwin wrecking yard when I was up there for the V8s. If you find a UC with one fitted in a wrecking yard, the location of the switch control is obvious, and the unit itself is a small white box screwed to the drivers side footwell, just to the right of the bonnet release. No wires need to be cut - it's all plugs. All you'll need is a 5/16 spanner to undo the unit, and a pair of needle nose pliers to undo the nut on the control knob. If you're keen, grab the 2 plug ends of the white wire in the main loom too, and graft them onto your main loom when you do the install.

#14 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

thats tops, now i know what to do.......have to go to the wreckers when i get some time...

thanks for all the advise.

cheers

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

Loosen the bolt on the copper earth strap on the wiper motor and they become erratically intermittent....but that's probably not what you were after....lol

#16 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

LOL @ pat... Thats thinking outside the square!

There are also kits you can get that do this.. I had one installed in my torry many moons ago.. Was an addidtional knob though and looked pretty poor!

I think the UC one is the way to go! Why werent you guys around when i was doing up my torry!

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

RED, did you convert to the stalk on the column or keep the dash mounted wiper switch and just added another switch for the intermittent� part of things?

john

I just used the dash mounted switch and fitted it in the choke hole. I didn't want to mod the car too much. It's the best setup to use as it's a variable speed setup. I drew up this rough wiring diagram at the time, which shows how to wire the HZ-UC system into the LX with minimal fuss. I hope it's of some use.

Posted Image

Edited by REDA9X, 19 July 2006 - 07:24 PM.

#18 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

is the wiper stalk u r talking about on the left of the column? or is it combined with the indicator stalk on the right of column. Anyone got pics of finished project?? Ta

Edited by kaz from adelaide, 19 July 2006 - 07:30 PM.

#19 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

Brilliant at the Winton fun day in the drizzle! Set and forget :spoton:

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:04 PM

you don't need to change the stalk, just add in the intermitant wiper controls. This is a pic of all the parts you need, this one is from a HZPosted Image

#21 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

im sure the vb vc vh commodores and uc toranas are the same dial switch and the white box unit under the dash. in the 78 79 80 models of cause they used all the same parts. just fit the dial switch in the lx choke hole and wire up the control box to the standard wiper switch easy done. i was thinking its much easier to find a early commodore system then a uc torana one. and as red says even the kingswood does the same job.

cheers

#22 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

:rockon: brilliant, thanks for that. I have been wanting to do this conversion for ages.

#23 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

Bad timing.......sold 2 of these on ebay for next to nothing a while ago....

Edited by devilsadvocate, 19 July 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#24 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

I bought a Hella unit off eBay a while back that I still have to fit. Part number 7010 (Screen Wiper Intermittent Control Unit). Looks close to what was in my VC Commodore but the knob is a lot larger than the one in the picture above.

Wipe time is variable between 2 and 20 times per minute and the auto stop/park switch in the wiper motor has to be working.

#25 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

EXLXSL how much did the hella kit set you back?

john

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users