Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Dear owners of flared LH/LX's,

I have a standard length 9" in my LX sedan (no tub work or anything else modifed except for the flares). Currently running 15 x 8.5" Convo's (I believe these have 5" backspace, not much dish).

I am looking to buy 2 new rims, so am thinking of possibly going for 10's instead. My 8.5's are already maxed out for clearance on the inside, so I can only go out. Therefore a set of 15 x 10's, with 5" backspace make perfect sense.

I think these will fit, but would just love to confirm with anyone else running 10's on the rear of theirs... did you get 5" backspace to fit nicely???

Oh yeah -I have the L34 style flares, not A9X, but the existing bodywork has been completely cut to make maximum use of the flares....

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

Hi LXCHEV

The answer to my question is going to depend largely on where you live so please do not take it wrong.

Don't you have any friends or possibly even fellow club members (I realise you may or may not be in a club) whos wheels you can try on for a fit?

I see so many questions here about what size can I run etc.

I know damn well if a fellow forum or club member turned up at my door and asked for a test fitting it would be a simple matter of removing a wheel and trying it.

Having said that, sorry I cant be more helpful, but I run a Salisbury 10 bolt, A9X flares and my 10" wheels have a very large offset and I cant remember if I should say positive or negative offset but suffice to say it all hangs outside the rim and not towards the diff :)
One day i would like some wheels that are widened inside and out to make the track legal.

Cheers
Herne

#3 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

5" backspacing on 17x10's with L34 flares (guards and flares trimmed). I believe diff width is as per standard.

#4 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hey Brett,
As you know i have 15x10's with 265x50 on the back of my hatch with enough room to fit 285 or even 295's with a STD length Diff and no other Mods, now i'm not sure what the offset is maybe someone that knows these type of hotwires (for race use only) would be able to answer that, anyway what stud pattern are you running?

#5 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

5 inch backspacing will be perfect

my 10 inch convos have 3 3/8 backspacing and with L34 flares and standard diff width sat just outside the flares, fixed that with 1 inch shorter diff and A9X flares :spoton:

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

timbotorrie and litre8 thanks for confirming guys! Exactly what I wanted to hear! I was 90% sure this combo was going to work nicely, but it's great to hear from others with the same setup.

J&S I'm running HQ pattern on mine. I'd be interested to know what your 15 x 10's offset is too. I bet it would be bloody close to 5" back space! They fill out your flares nicely. I know your hatchback would allow you bigger rubber than my sedan though with the L34 flares. Hathbacks are good that way!!!

And Herne - yes I am in a club and what you mentioned is spot-on about borrowing a fellow members wheels and trial fitting etc, however the few people I know who are local with the big fatties didn't have the 5" back space I was looking for!

Thanks again guys, keep your eyes open for some nice new fat Convo's in the near future! Looks like I may be selling the Hotwires!

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

Brett, I might have somewhere that you can get some 10's from, I know someone who wants to go down from their 10's to 8's......
I will find out the offset as soon as I can

#8 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

I had 15x10 simmons on the back of my torrie with 275 tyres.Was going to change them to 17 inch simmons so I had my 15's measured and they had 5inch back spacing however the inner guards were slightly hammered to fit the rubber.

#9 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:21 PM

my hatch runs 10" convos with 265/50 15's with a 5" back spacing
they fit perfectly

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'd have to double check mine, but mine are 15X10 and I think it's 5.5" in and 4.5 out. I have 285/40/15 tyres with plenty of room. As you can see in the pic, I have the large rear flares and there is plenty of overhang.
Posted Image

#11 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

you could go for 8 1/2 with a 3 3/8 rear spacing they look like 10s but give a smigen more room

#12 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

Thanks again to everyone for their info/photos & suggestions. Ended up getting the 15 x 10's with 5" backspace, they look mint!!!! I went for HQ only stud pattern (not multifit) and man do they look schmick now! Had my 265/50 road tyres fitted this morning, and then put the wheels on this arvo. I'm really happy, they look great, and no signs of scraping or rubbing at all. I'll have to post up some pics when I have some! I reckon I could fit 12's with the right offset!!! lol

Cheers.

#13 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

What wheels did u get brett? i have been out of the loop for too long and i am lost in all the commotion!

Might have to cruise down to ur house soon and drop off your Wheels i borrowed! (hehe u might have to take me for a spin too ;))

#14 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

Good to hear ya got a set thats nice.
Sorry to go off topic
My plan is to buy a V6 write off, hopefully with a T Boned job. Take the engine and drive line and fit it to the torrie, It can be done and will provide a stronger diff and rear disks.

I want to go flares but don't know about the width of the tyre as yet. But i will be able to get the diff worked to make them fit nice.

ryan

#15 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Matty, yeah swing around sometime for sure bud and check out the new bags. By the way, they're Convo Pro's, what else!!! I'm selling my hotwires now.

#16 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

Here's some pics of the new rear rims. I need to lower the back an inch or two now and I'll be pretty happy with it. As you can see there isn't much sidewall with the 265/50 x 15's, so next time I'm due for tyres (soon), I might try 275/50 x 15's I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

#17 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

PART 2 - FRONT SIZED RIMS ON FLARED LH/LX???

Ok now that the back is sorted, I'd love to put some bigger Convo's on the front - something big enough to make it handle (anything will work better than the 15 x 4's!!!)... but I don't want it too big and heavy.

I am considering 15 x 5's, 6's or 7's...

What sizes/offsets are you other guys with flares running? And what size tyres do you like using? I'm thinking a skinnier tyre on a wider rim ie. reducing the amount of sidewall to get the steering nice and responsive... perhaps a 195, 205 or 225...

Currently my 15 x 4's have 165/80's on them. I could afford to loose a tiny bit of overall diameter, but not much...

Thanks heaps guys!!

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

that looks fat. :rockon:
gotta love dish eh?

#19 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:05 AM

Yes DISH IS YOUR FRIEND!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

#20 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:35 AM

Are they L34 or A9X flares ?

#21 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

i have 7s on mine mate, with 195s

are yours torrie pattern at all mate? dont want to do a swap/cash adjustment at all?
i was thinkin about putting skinnier ones on the front and use my convos for drag duties as i am getting some other rims made up at the moment

what ya reckon :spoton:

#22 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:31 PM

pallbag - Mine are just the L34 (smaller) size flares.

timbo - bad news mate! Mine are HQ pattern (well the front's are actually multifit for HQ and Ford)... but I'm keen to keep them for drag racing anyway... that's my end goal, to wind up with 2 full sets of Convo's - the nice new shiny fat ones in single stud pattern for street driving with street tyres... and then my old multi-fit ones will be my drag wheels (cheese-cutters up the front, and 8.5's on the rear which are still wearing my Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials)...

What other rims are you getting made??? If you sold your fronts, you could probably get enough money to go and buy a pair of 4's anyway.... 4's on the front of yours would look insane with your rear dish!!!

PS. What profile are your 195's? Would they be like a 60 or 65? Do they hang on pretty well when cornering hard etc... ??

#23 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

I had 195/60's on the front of mine Brett, I didnt have any problems with the handling. I have 195/55's now, it gives me more clearance on the guards now that I'm running less camber

#24 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

i think my fronts are 195/55, would need to look!

you will have to wait and see what wheels i am getting made, just think 70s groupC/speedway, with big dish, thats all i am saying :spoton:

#25 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:49 PM

i didnt think your car could be made to look better brett, but it does with those rear rims!

as for the front rims

i reckon they would look alot better on the front of my hatch lol

cheers

mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users