#1 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

After a nearly 5 year layoff due to a number of reasons including a dance with the Big C  I went out to play with the Torana.

I started revamping some of the wiring, but then to my horror I opened up the drivers door to find a big hole just below the top hinge in the A pillar where some thing had eaten through the steel and it wasnt a mouse!!!!

RUST!!!

Bloody Hell.!!!

So after work today started in on the repair.

The door hinge pins came out easier than I though that they would. A hit with a long brass drift so that I wouldn't mushroom the bottom and then supported the door on the trolley jack with a large block of wood to take the load. After the pins were loosened I used a long punch and then an even longer stuffed screwdriver to knock them out.

I marked it out and then cut out what needs to be replaced with a metal balde on my Fein Multitool. A lot more gentle than a grinder and metal blade and no sparks to burn other painted parts. Wasn't as bad as i thought behing the bubbled rust areas. .

Water has gottten in behind the panel on the door hinge and just rotted it away from the inside. The Hinge is still as solid as a rock

So now to get some steel plate and weld in the new bits and then grind the welds flat, prime, paint and no one will ever know.

The just have to work out why the wipers dont want to play the game. I'll check the fuses first before I go diving under the dashboard again. They are a nightmare under there.

Edited by piquet, 15 December 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#2 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

Welcome back.
I hope you won the dance contest!!
Glad you never lost faith in your LC. I think they are the better small Torana, but I am a tad bias ;)

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

Congrats on your return...and the XU1s journey. Hope to see some pics if you want to share.

#4 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

The cancer is under control, which is much better than being out of control,
It will probably stay that way until something else comes along. But I feel really great.

Today I cut some steel plate to fit in the cut out sections in the A pillar. They are all welded in now and ready for some etch primer then some primer and some paint. Then rehang the door and then onto the next check.
Brakes and clutch hydraulics will be next.
Not sure how to post pics but I will endeavour to try and sort it out.

#5 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

Sounds good.
To post photos use the "more reply option" in the bottom right corner, then browse and go from there.
Would love to see a few pix

#6 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

There are some pictures in the garage section of the board of my car. I will also try and attach some as well

It's an LC XU1 that I have previously raced in Group Nc touring cars. I put in on axle stands quite a few years ago when I was diagnosed with leukemia.

In the following 3 1/2 years there have been plenty of ups and downs including the loss of one of my mates to a combination of osephegael and liver cancer. John died just before the AGP earlier this year and it hit me a bit hard. It's seemed unfair that I am in response and he has been diagnosed and cleared and then it came back and he has died all in18 months and Im still here.

So I have decided that as there is a HTCAV Family Fun Day in honour of John  in February next year I should get off my butt and  just get out there again. If at the end of the day I dont like it anymore or it's too much I can then either convert the car back to a road car and sell it or sell it as it is, readey to go racing in a genuine car.

#7 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

There are some pictures in the garage section of the board of my car. I will also try and attach some as well

It's an LC XU1 that I have previously raced in Group Nc touring cars. I put in on axle stands quite a few years ago when I was diagnosed with leukemia.

In the following 3 1/2 years there have been plenty of ups and downs including the loss of one of my mates to a combination of osephegael and liver cancer. John died just before the AGP earlier this year and it hit me a bit hard. It's seemed unfair that I am in response and he has been diagnosed and cleared and then it came back and he has died all in18 months and Im still here.

So I have decided that as there is a HTCAV Family Fun Day in honour of John  in February next year I should get off my butt and  just get out there again. If at the end of the day I dont like it anymore or it's too much I can then either convert the car back to a road car and sell it or sell it as it is, readey to go racing in a genuine car.

#8 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

Life is unfair in most cases, but you should never feel bad for still being here!!! Life deals us some harsh blows sometimes, and we can only hope for the best.

Sounds like a great idea getting it back on the track. At least you will be able to use it for what it was built for. Enjoyment!!
I'm sure once running again the old feelings of fun and excitment come flooding back

#9 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

It was miles too hot to do my outdoor work today so I came home and hit the repaired areas with some primer and paint. The door is now back where it belongs on its' hinges. I even found the spring for the door keeper and installed that as well. Now just have to find the one for the other door and install it.

#10 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

Good on ya Piquet.

The big C certainly helps put things in perspective.

Good luck getting the car ready for Feb, I look forward to seeing pics of it running around.

#11 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:04 PM

Glad things are starting to work out for you , getting started can be hard some times , my XU1 sat for for about fourteen years , and another ten years for the bloke I bought it off . I have a few bits and might be able to help you out , PM me if you need anything for it . 

#12 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the support and the offers of assistance. There is probably not a lot that I need but there ars some things that I have that others could do with that are gathering dust.

The car is complete and ready to go with only a few minor things to be completed.I could probably have got away with the hole in the A pillar but better to be safe than regret things at a later date.

The last time the engine was running it had a problem with the head bottoming out on the locating stud at tha back of the engine  thus not allowing the head gasket to be compressed properly resulting in no compression in the back two cylinders. I pulled the head off and got out the drill and just drilled the hole out a couple of mm deeper and then plonked the head back on and trensioned it down. Compressions came back to over 200 psi Cold. So it is reasonably healthy. It should be as at that time it was a brand newly rebuilt engine. With NEW just about everything New Rods, Mains and BE. New valves, pushrods,Lifters Valve springs, timing gears and a new oil pump to boot.

Everything is complete and the engine has ben fired up. 60 psi cold oil pressure. I was working out how to put a push button starter into the ignition system so that I can crank it over with out firing it up to get the oil pressure up first. I figure that that is a bit cheaper than an Accumulator also a lot less weight as well. Although the car is quite light  at 1030 KG.

The only things left to do of any real consequence is to finish the wiring I started, bleed the brakes which have been replaced. It is fitted with Volvo 4 spot calipers on the front with BMW ventilated rotors and Alloy finned drums on the back. The rear wheel cylinders have been replaced as a precaution and the front calipers have had a kit put through them. Stub axles crack tested as well to be on the safe side. Bleed the clutch hydraulics as the master and slave cylindeer have been replaced as well.

Of course there is the obigatory nut and bolt check that has to be done.

Again in Melbourne today its really bloody hot again and weven worse tomorrow. Until the next update

Stay safe guys and guyettes if there are any on the board.

#13 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Good stuff.

Looking forward to some pics please :)

#14 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

here it is lifting a wheel

I'll see what else I can find.

but that is a start

Attached Files

• Attached File  XU1.JPG   64.06K   5 downloads

#15 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yes its a 186 flat tappet LC XU1. so it hasn't got the poke of an LJ 202 Roller cam engine, but still fun. This photo was about 6 years ago at Sandown Historic

I've done a 1:58.9 at Phillip Island and a a 1;30 at Sandown .

I loaned the car to a "mate" who promptly did a 1:28 at Sandown.

Edited by piquet, 18 December 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#16 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

Nice pic...trying hard there too!

#17 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Good on you piquet - looking forward to following your return to the track. All the best.

Steve

#18 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

What size wheels & rubber on back of your lc? Standard diff?

Going through same thing rust wise with mine hinges solid just small bubble not sure how water is getting in there either.Same thing with front of sill panel.Both driver's side.

#19 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

Wheels are 7 x 13 Hotwires with 206/60 x 13 Toyos

Standard Diff with the exception of a rebuilt LSD.

Cant afford a detroit locker

Coarse spline axles at present. Am looking at going to a fully floating diff if the finances will allow

#20 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:17 PM

Another couple of small thing done yesterday and today.

I was sick of the grille looking shaby from all the stone chips. I masked it up and painted it  with some etch primer and then a couple of coats of Satin Black to match the headlight surounds. After that had dried I i masked up the centre and painted the green strip across the centre of the grill.

Tonight I reinstalled the grille and  I have to say it looks OK. I also worked out why my Electric fan wasnt working. I  undid the wiring in the connector block. cleaned to accumulated crap off the wiring and then screwed it all back together and low and behold it now works.

Just goes to show what 5 years of accumulated dirt makes to an electrical connection.!!

Job for tomorrow is to get some new Stainless self tappers to replace the rusty ones holding the grill in place.

Then it's onto the rear brakes. I will pull the rear axles and replace the wheel bearings just because I can and also install new wheel studs as well.

I might even  do the spare set of axles at the same time.

#21 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

I've taken the grille out, masked it up and repainted the blackout area and the green stripe.
Reinstalled it and have started to clean up the front of the car.
Looks better now that the grille is all blacked out again. Probably won't last long from being stone peppered again.
I'd add a photo but it's too big. Will have to resize it

#22 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

We now have an almost serviceable car again

As the thunderbirds say "All systems are Go!"

Wipere are Go just have to get new wiper blades.

Indicators are Go

Brake lights are Go

Head lights are Go

Tail lights are Go

Horn? who needs that on the race track too busy listening to the radio which is go!

So we have plenty of go.

The next thing is stop brakes will be bled  tomorrow.

#23 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Pics !! Lol

#24 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Tried to add them but they are too large so I will have to resize them to below 1000kb

#25 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

Good to see your getting back in the saddle!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users