HDT XU1 V8

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:19 PM

All the dramas seem to be over, new rear brakes and master cylinder, now I have proper brakes, the mechanic came tonight and re set the manifold to get rid of the oil leak. Front carpet and sound deadener in tomorrow, a wash and we are away to Noosa Historic Hillclimb on Friday. 14 cars in my class, pre 73 Touring Cars, lots of Mustangs and 351 GT Falcons. I am the only Torana so I will try and hold up our good name guys! :ph34r: (This thing is a JET! :blink: )
Rory

Edited by rorym, 07 November 2005 - 09:20 PM.

#2 _ultrabluea9x_

_ultrabluea9x_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

hey rory sounds good i need a bit of info as i am putting the old 308
in to my gtr in acouple of weeks as it did not sell on ebay so if i can i would like to rack your brains regarding the swap good luck at your hilllclimb

#3 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:02 PM

cant wait mate, this weekends gonna be great!

A1

#4 _svenikus_

_svenikus_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:06 PM

make sure you get plenty of pics this weekend

Edited by svenikus, 07 November 2005 - 11:06 PM.

#5 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

Ultra, No worries, fire away but let me get the weekend out of the way first.

A1, I just stare at it, it is by far my highest achievement yet, even better than the 73 Bathurst. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous, you will sh*t your pants on Saturday! It has the road tyres and 13 x 7 hotwires on at the moment, I am tempted to swap the race tyres and run the alloys.

Sven,
2 cameras, capacity 750 photos. :D

R

Edited by rorym, 07 November 2005 - 11:19 PM.

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

It's going to be a lot of fun,driving a v8 lc.What's it like on street tyres on the street?

#7 _jono_

_jono_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

you can always mount a video camera in the cabin

hint hint :D

#8 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

Hi rorym

Cant wait for some pics be watching your build up for a while now and i think your car is great.

Will be looking Sunday night for some hill climb pics

and some video woul be great to hint hint

Enjoy B)

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:50 PM

Gtrboy,
It just lights them up! :ph34r:
R

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

rory,sounds just like mine first 3 gears are nearly useless & mine keeps hitting rev limiter,theyre good value arent they?

#11 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

I posted in engine section but it spins up so bloody fast I am wondering what redline to use. My street (In the bush) is about 350 metres long and I just ran it up to 5000rpm in secs and was at 180 kph and I had room to stop no worries.. It is definately faster than my 300kw SV8. No the farking thing is VIOLENT!!!!!! :ph34r:
R

#12 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

make us proud rory

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

The Mustang guys have dominated for the last 2 years in my class, if Harry Hansford is riding with me on the day, we might give them a scare.I need a 2.78 limo diff this thing is way too fast.
R

Edited by rorym, 08 November 2005 - 10:52 PM.

#14 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

The Mustang guys have dominated for the last 2 years in my class, if Harry Hansford is riding with me on the day, we might give them a scare.I need a 2.78 limo diff this thing is way too fast.
R

how long till u blow the first bango? i mean banjo oh wait no i dont :P

#15 _lh 5.0_

_lh 5.0_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:51 AM

It might last, if that monster won't get any traction! :lol: Wish I had that problem Rory, can't wait to see a video.

#16 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

ive been trying to get my hands on a digital video camera for this weekend to film rory and everyone else, though 2 that i usually borrow arent available :(

anyone else wanna lend one for a weekend?

Andrew

#17 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

Dont be doing this now you hear

Roll

Over

#18 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

On mine,with crap tyres the banjo lasted a little while but when I put quality tyres on it 1 diff lasted 100km,2nd 50km althoughh it felt a lot quicker but with 3.36's it was damn scary.When you get it up over 180kph rory dont lc/lj's get really light in the front end?

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:04 PM

Banjos only die if you hammer the crap out of them. I ran my SLR 5000 for 4 years, not dropping the clutch and it was fine. The 3.08 ratio will help, any of the lower ratios would die at a pretty quick rate I would guess. If you feather the drive and get traction all should be fine. (I hope I dont have to eat my words on this later! :ph34r: 0
69LCGTR, all he had to do was turn right to save it.
A1, The missus is bringing one.
GTR, I have the HDT style front spoiler that is extended 3 inches each side so I hope that will hold it down. Think the top speed over the top last year was about 140kph. (They have one of those big road side signs that record your speed so you see it as you cross the finish line.)

R

#20 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

Heres a funny thing. I am having a starter problem. Goes "click" in the morning, get under undo it, bugger around and put it back in, it starts, then works fine all day. I now have tried 3 starters and it does it with all of them. Am I the victim of a dicky battery or has anyone any ideas? I am down to the battery. I will get it tested in the morning. With about 9.5/10.0 -1 compression it might just be playing with my head. Batteries do some strange things sometimes.
R

#21 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

God you are getting me excited will not be able to sleep till I get a race report and pics on Sunday
Good luck rorym go out there and show them what your beast can do

#22 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

I just bought off Ebay a mint version of AMC issue 7 and 10 and am reading about the HDT "Beast" LJ V8 and Bryan Thompson LC V8 Torana (which I commented before was basically a F5000 chassis under a Torana body) and the inspiration is high I am here to tell you. The bloody thing is so easy to drive fast which is the really surprising thing.You just drive it on the throttle, tail out, more push, tail back in, lift off.
R
P.S. To DRAGLC, aka Andrew,aka A1, Thanks for the rear seat and console, you will always be a part of this car and I hope the drive scares the shit out of you! To TORANA05, aka Andrew Milton Spares,aka A2, thanks for finding all those shite things that no one wanted to know about! and the diff. I have been up every morning at 5.30am for a week making this thing just right with paint touchups, cleaning etc, if it doesnt knock A1s socks off, I will be disappointed.Win, Lose or draw on the weekend, they will definately know we have been there. Go the Torrie! :ph34r:

Edited by rorym, 09 November 2005 - 08:05 PM.

#23 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

oh mate i havent even seen it yet and i reckon i might be just as excited as you!!
A2 is thinking of coming on sunday too, told him to bring his 24c car :P

#24 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:05 PM

I found that the exta torque was tearing the banjo's apart as I never dumped the clutch in it as that would be instant death,I would take off slowly & feed the power in,I managed to make a 3.9 diff last 3yrs with the old six that ran 13.1.In regards to the starter,which 1 is it as the older 1's dont crank the motor over when the car is hot due to all the heat from the exhaust getting to it,common problem on early commodores or it could be a tight new motor.The vs starters can crank high compression motors over quitr easily,it is what I use & haven't had a problem with.Hope this helps.

#25 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:01 PM

GTR, Its a VN Commodore small hi torque one, (are they the same as VS?) Its the second one I've put in it and they both do this thing intermittenttly so I reckon its not the starter. Got it at the Auto elecs now trying to sort it out. As usual, will be ready, I hope at the 12th hour. I will bump start the bloody thing all weekend if i have to.
R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users