Photo

What did V8 Torana Racecars have done to their oiling system?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,331 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:10 PM

So after trying track work in my car twice now, I'm a bit confused at how badly the oiling system is behaving.

To set the scene, my sump is not standard, it already looks like this:

https://www.gmh-tora...atch/?p=1017245

So it has a baffle with trap doors, and a crank scraper, and a box-type internal pick-up, feeding to a ported standard-capacity oil pump in the standard location.

On the first track day on crappy street tyres, my rocker covers filled with oil, and the breather system became saturated and decided to act as an oil-pumping device (from the rocker cover to the catch can), the sump got low, and oil pressure started waning under moderate G-forces. No good!

I went back to the drawing board and added some baffled risers in the covers, to convert this:

0OmIaii.jpg

Into this:

dhyq8Rp.jpg

MRqk3Ph.jpg

I also installed "oil restrictor" pushrods with smaller holes in them, to limit how much oil went to the top end.

On the street, that seemed to work just fine. :)

On the second track day, last weekend, on decent tyres this time, I didn't pump any oil into the catch can, sweet!
BUT the motor still had oil starvation problems on the track (admittedly we are talking about long sweepers and much more G force than the last track day, as my car is getting faster).

I tried over-filling the motor but that just started popping the dipstick out and making a mess, without making the oil pressure much more consistent.

What did the original race-cars have in their motors back in the 1970's to control the oil?

Brock could do 1,000km at serious tilt around Bathurst in 1979 without a dry sump, on slicks. 
What technology was in it to make it work?

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:32 PM

Ask Ian Tate or Dave Mclean. They built engines for both Series Production and Group C, both 6cyl and 308. I have to ask Dave a question about something else, I'll call him soon if I can and see if he will tell me. I can tell you the GTS327 and GTS350 Series Production engines had a baffled sump but it wasn't anything elaborate, but they were only running skinny tyres. The Beechey HK and HT GroupC Monaros had Traco race engines with probably dry sump.

Surely GroupA VK-VN engine builders are still around too.

#3 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:31 PM

May be well worth a post on the Aussiev8 forums too Heath - some incredibly knowledgeable folk there.

#4 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:49 PM

Can only talk of 6 cyl experience, but oil issues on track are oil issues on track.

- like you have, baffled and scraped

- reduced flow to top

- high PRESSURE pump. Not high volume ( at 5000rpm, there is already plenty of flow/volume).

- drain the rocker covers to the SUMP, not the catch can.( i.e. AN fittings in the side of the rocker covers, hose staight back to sump.)

- top of rocker cover vented to can ( like you have).

- bonus points if you have the suction line plumbed to the side of the sump, and ditch the original type pickup tube.

I think its a given that  long periods of high rpm will fill the rocker covers, the tip is to drain that back to the sump asap, so any surge is not so dramatic, as the sump is always still full.

IMHO 

#5 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:56 PM

Reference - Warwick Bryce GMH retirees.

L34 - 

Sumps
I remember seeing a few variations of experimental sumps on V8 Toranas in the Prototype Build workshop, suggesting
there was a few oil surge concerns and innovative ways were being explored to get around the rules!
There were the usual baffles with hinged trap doors but they did not seem to do the job.
Another was a swinging pick-up which was supposed to follow the oil around the sump as it sloshed. I imagine it
eventually could not keep up and gulped air.
The most ingenious was a very large oil dump can whose “overflow” fed back into the sump through the drain plug,
coincidently right under the oil pump pick up. There was also a couple of electric oil pumps that scavenged from possibly
the rocker covers. The dry sump you have when you are not having a dry sump.

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

Group C rules for 1979 say OEM sumps may be modified with similar materials to increase maximum oil capacity to 9 litres for engines with a swept volume up to 3000cc and 11 litres for engines over 3000cc swept volume.

Baffling of the sump was free. One additional oil cooler up to 1 litre capacity may also be fitted as long as it remains within the confines of the coachwork. The oil pick up inside the sump may be modified or replaced up to the point where it meets the block (or pump, as appropriate)

Looks like huge oil capacity was the main order of the day to stave off oil starvation.

#7 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:31 PM

When you built the engine, did you open all the drains from the head back to the valley and also from the valley back to the crank case? This will help the oil return from the top, also smoothing the casting marks helps it run back easier, these are small things but help lots. 

#8 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:20 AM

Here is another thing that helps.

Drill a small hole in the dip stick attach a spring fixed to the dip stick tube to hold it down.

Edited by warrenm, 27 April 2023 - 06:23 AM.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,331 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:17 AM

Cheers. Yeah, it looks like this in the valley already:

wZxwuNY.jpg

I have followed the COME Racing oil modification video instructions to every detail, my motor is done exactly like that. Although it has nothing to do with this problem.

And I drilled a hole in the dip-stick handle and put a bit of wire through it in the pits the other day. I plan on replacing that with a spring, but hopefully that isn't a long-term necessity.

Ask Ian Tate or Dave Mclean. They built engines for both Series Production and Group C, both 6cyl and 308. I have to ask Dave a question about something else, I'll call him soon if I can and see if he will tell me. I can tell you the GTS327 and GTS350 Series Production engines had a baffled sump but it wasn't anything elaborate, but they were only running skinny tyres. The Beechey HK and HT GroupC Monaros had Traco race engines with probably dry sump.

Surely GroupA VK-VN engine builders are still around too.

I do intend to speak to some of the older fellas. Ian Tate is semi-retired nowadays, I actually do not know Dave McLean. Please let me know what you find out.

I spoke to Anthony who took over from Ian Tate and he was a good dude. He said I need to look at a Brookfields sump, and I need 7.5 Litres.

May be well worth a post on the Aussiev8 forums too Heath - some incredibly knowledgeable folk there.

Cool. I remember that forum being great but I assumed it was dead. It's still active you reckon?

Can only talk of 6 cyl experience, but oil issues on track are oil issues on track.

- like you have, baffled and scraped

- reduced flow to top

- high PRESSURE pump. Not high volume ( at 5000rpm, there is already plenty of flow/volume).

- drain the rocker covers to the SUMP, not the catch can.( i.e. AN fittings in the side of the rocker covers, hose staight back to sump.)

- top of rocker cover vented to can ( like you have).

- bonus points if you have the suction line plumbed to the side of the sump, and ditch the original type pickup tube.

I think its a given that  long periods of high rpm will fill the rocker covers, the tip is to drain that back to the sump asap, so any surge is not so dramatic, as the sump is always still full.

IMHO 

Thank you. I would love to not add rocker cover external drain-backs because they are bloody ugly (and I haven't had a chance to pull the motor out of the car again yet, which is needed to do that), but they are certainly not out of the question if the consensus is that they'll fix the problem.

I remember seeing a few variations of experimental sumps on V8 Toranas in the Prototype Build workshop, suggesting
there was a few oil surge concerns and innovative ways were being explored to get around the rules!
There were the usual baffles with hinged trap doors but they did not seem to do the job.
Another was a swinging pick-up which was supposed to follow the oil around the sump as it sloshed. I imagine it
eventually could not keep up and gulped air.
The most ingenious was a very large oil dump can whose “overflow” fed back into the sump through the drain plug,
coincidently right under the oil pump pick up. There was also a couple of electric oil pumps that scavenged from possibly
the rocker covers. The dry sump you have when you are not having a dry sump.

Interesting, and thank you. The swinging pickup is very interesting, haha! I don't quite know how the oil dump worked... some kind of valve to stop it over-filling the sump under normal circumstances?

I don't have rules holding me back, so I could, for example, add an accumulator or other tech into it.

I am considering going to a semi-dry sump, with a scavenge pump obviously, although that would just be scavenging from the sump. It's not a 5min or $5 job, though.

Group C rules for 1979 say OEM sumps may be modified with similar materials to increase maximum oil capacity to 9 litres for engines with a swept volume up to 3000cc and 11 litres for engines over 3000cc swept volume.

Baffling of the sump was free. One additional oil cooler up to 1 litre capacity may also be fitted as long as it remains within the confines of the coachwork. The oil pick up inside the sump may be modified or replaced up to the point where it meets the block (or pump, as appropriate)

Looks like huge oil capacity was the main order of the day to stave off oil starvation.

Right... I must say my motor actually only takes 5L until the dipstick tells me it's full, I was expecting it would be more like 7L. I did cut back the sump to a slightly lower profile but wouldn't imagine that made a 2L difference. I definitely want to add some oil capacity and was planning to probably extend the sump a bit more sideways, add an oil cooler, etc.

Does anyone have photos of these Brookfield sumps that the race cars had? 

#10 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:58 PM

Regarding oil levels,

I have a Moroso sump on the LS1 and when the sump was off I took not of the standard dip stick position, I also measured how far the dip stick would protrude into the sump and with the sump off measured how much oil was needed to get to that level.

I then used that amount to get my oil level with my modified dip stick once everything was back together

#11 klevliend

klevliend

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 01:08 PM

Theres some info here from Larry O'Toole's The Essential Holden V8 Manual

Says they engineered a semi-dry sump arrangment

Attached Files

#12 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2023 - 01:43 PM

Not sure what happened to my last post, it had a link to Come Racing youtube channel, but you've already been there.

You want the oil level at the bottom of the windage tray when the engine is at higher revs, to allow for oil up in the rockers. I can fit 5 litres in a std shape Holden 6 sump with a windage tray. 

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,331 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:41 PM

The link didn't work out (we seem to have a technical issue with that :( ) but I figure out what you wanted me to see.

Yeah, I was surprised by how little oil my sump takes. Addressing that certainly sounds like an important order of business.

And when I do so, I'll look at the dipstick length properly as well.

The "Semi-Dry-Sump" that they are talking about I think just relates to electric pump/s scavenging the oil from the rocker covers and feeding it back into the sump. There's a theory that if you just run simple drain-backs, you might push oil up them under high G-forces (makes sense to me), so that is why pumps were used I believe. But they were banned shortly after they were introduced so not tested adequately. Anyway, I think they are just referring to that, but maybe there was more to it. I have learned all of this today.

I wonder if there's any reason I shouldn't weld a big "funnel" onto the top of my diamond box, to catch more of the oil that drips down from the motor above it?

JatvLSN.jpg

#14 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:00 PM

A few holes in the windage tray might help?

Sounds like you do need more oil though.

After installing my first 383 COME holden in the old LX I discovered that if you got into it hard for 2 and a half gears and then hit the brakes that the oil light would come on for a bit.

I was concerned so I rang Izzy who has always been very helpful to me. He said to add another litre of oil to the sump (standard High Energy sump) and the problem should go away. He was right! That litre made a total of 7 including filter.

He also said that the oil pressure light usually came on at the end of the strip in the yellow COME 1 torana under braking and that it didnt seem to hurt anything as the engine wasn’t under load (his theory)

You could always hit up George Haddad for a chat given he is in the sump business.

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:27 PM

If you no longer have issues with pumping oil out of the top end, then the first and easiest fix is definitely more capacity as everyone has mentioned. The design of the pickup may help a little when it comes to low levels.

Guessing you don't have a high volume pump, but that would need to be changed if you do.

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:22 PM

1980 Group C allowed additional oil pumps which can be driven from any rotating shaft in/on the engine, or from the original oil pump, or electrically.

The effect of the aforementioned may result in a "dry sump" lubrication system

#17 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:55 PM

Additional external oil drain backs from the back of the heads to the sump. I thought was a logical solution when I got my motor built. 

Attached File  IMG_1772 (2).JPG   116.52K   13 downloads

#18 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:02 PM

Many years ago I ran a 308/333 in a super sedan on dirt track.
To help overcome the oil issues of the 308 I fitted 2 3/4 external drain back likes from the cylinder heads to the sump.
I also ran a breather from the sump to a catch can to relieve sump pressure build up so the oil could return without any resistance. Some people run vacuum pumps on the sump to help oil return too.
Where I fitted my oil drain pipes from the head is on the lip above the exhaust manifold. The holes are not easy to drill and tap and if you aren't careful you will crack the casting.
The lip is about 1 1/4 inch high and is a perfect catch point for oil on the outside edge of the heads.
I ran mine back to the sump below the windage tray to prevent oil being pushed back up the drains from the wind created from the rotating crank.
I also debured the valley and opened up all factory oil returns with a long drill bit.
I also did the oil from modification to the main journals and the cam feed.
I also removed the chain spray bar and blocked it off drill and tapped.As there is enough oil moving around and splashing up from the sump to keep the chain lubricated.

#19 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:05 PM

Additional external oil drain backs from the back of the heads to the sump. I thought was a logical solution when I got my motor built. 

attachicon.gif IMG_1772 (2).JPG

Very similar to what I was talking about only mine was on the sides above the exhaust manifold.
I also drilled a hole through the inlet manifold to fit a vent pipe to a catch can to relieve pressure inside the engine.

#20 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:36 PM

https://www.gmh-tora...ed-to-the-pump/

#21 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:01 PM

The grease slapper ran 6 litres in a standard commodore sump. Normal was 4.5 litres.

It was all done with maths.............. measuring the depth of the conrods at full down stroke, they're depth from the sump rail and the volume of the sump.

#22 Torananut

Torananut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:L34 x 2, hatch x 4, UC sedan x 2, LC XU1
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2023 - 01:12 AM

When the L34 engine was first tested it was on a dyno only, and not in a car. Once they hit the track the teams found they had terrible oil surge. What Holden found was that the sumps simply didn't have enough capacity. Most of the oil was suspended at the top of the engine at high revs and with higher cornering forces the oil pick up would run dry and lead to oil surge. The Fords had a similar problem and all of the teams were spending a fortune on engines. The HDT tried a system of electric pumps to get the oil back to the sump but they didn't work that well and put a strain on the electrical system. In 1975 CAMS looked the other way and let teams fit bigger sumps which went a long way to helping the problem.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                The toranas generally ran a Brookfield sump or similar that had boxed section around the oil pick up with one way little gates on all sides to try and contain the oil around the pick up. I'm not sure of the capacity but 7.5 litres sounds about right. I am trying to borrow one so that I can make a copy for my racecar. They are a big boxy looking thing and have an unusual round cut out for access to a starter motor bolt. I'm sure a few teams tried some mods to the oil galleries to get the oil back down to the sump. In 1979 teams were allowed to use dry sump set-ups.

#23 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:52 AM

Brookfield sump?

eng1.jpg

#24 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,331 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:20 AM

Thanks guys. Certainly keen on more photos of the Brookfield sump, from underneath and different angles if possible. 

When I have my motor out of the car, I'm going to measure and adjust the crank scraper and windage tray (and dipstick) according to the sweep of the rotating assembly, but I really want to know how to make this sump look.

When you're talking about sump breathers... I understand the advantage of setting up a breather from the valley for example rather than the rocker covers. But do you really think the sump could be pressurised, relative to the valley? I know the valley gets some oil in it, but those four big slots above the camshaft are quite substantial. 

#25 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 02:17 PM

I was thinking about this, when you trimmed down the bottom of the sump, did you recheck the clearance of the pickup to the bottom? Did you make the clearance too tight?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users