Photo

Lost and Found-Any one looking for HR58330?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Car:HQ Torana

Posted 20 July 2023 - 12:26 AM

Gday all,

Here’s another HR prefix 253. Crank, cam shaft, lifters, sump.

let me know if it’s yours as it would be good to see it goes we’re it belongs

Cheers

Attached Files

#2 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 20 July 2023 - 12:03 PM

It would be good if there was a register/thread for people chasing particular engine numbers for their cars so there was a chance people could be reunited with their original engines.

#3 LCK186

LCK186

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Car:71 CK

Posted 20 July 2023 - 01:16 PM

it was knocked back years ago  but personally i think its a great idea, people looking for there original engine and people who have engines under there bench, which could be out of your car,

#4 308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:42 PM

I couldn’t agree more on this and it’s something that should be taken seriously.
I have quite a few engines and I’m 100% certain I’m not the only one with a fetish for Australian cast iron.
I had been searching for an engine for many years and was told by a member on another forum that he had it. This was a pretty amazing feeling to actually find your needle in the haystack but I was then told by the owner that he wasn’t going to sell it to me and that it had served him well.
This may have been BS and I don’t begrudge the owner of the QT engine in his WB but it was disheartening and I wish he had never told me.
A register for people with engines in a pile in their backyard, collecting dust in the shed or being used as a coffee table in the lounge room that they are willing to let go of would be a great service to people looking for that matching number.
As mentioned before, it was like winning the lotto when I was told that someone had it and as the years pass on, these (trivial to some) chances are getting smaller by the day and would be one of the greatest assets available to the Holden owners of Australia.
I could possibly see that the scum may take advantage of this tool to just purely purchase or acquire an engine but that’s up to the owner of the mill to decide on and proof would be need to be supplied.
The more open the better as it will be harder for the scum to take advantage of the service.
Something should be done IMHO as like I mentioned earlier from first hand experience, it was an amazing moment to find out that your number actually exists.

#5 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 20 July 2023 - 05:24 PM

Woa ! It's way too open for abuse. 

Wanted : Engine # XXXXX4X .

Yeah man , i have it here. (busts out the stamps) . Here ya go , only 5K. 

It would have been great if GMH had used matching engine numbers , but they didn't ! 

Even trying to find the 'correct' engine number is difficult if not impossible. 

#6 LCK186

LCK186

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:08 PM

Hi 308 i totally agree with you, i also have a few engines myself and know of other friends who also have JP JL 2600 HT engines etc etc, If you put up an engine photo you have stored away  who would be stupid enough to restamp it, or if you are looking for an engine and put the number up you would know if it was restamped as there are plenty of forum members here who can pick a dud number once they put up the photo, a friend is chasing a JP10XXXX and he is happy to pay good dollars if he can find it, To put his car back to factory,    My thoughts any way, What do other members think   

#7 308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:02 PM

It’s that simple mate. You can spot a re stamp from a mile away and you could start measuring the deck height ect if you were concerned that it had been cut and restamped.
They would be engines put up before the fact and not after someone requests a number.
It would be good if it was done in a way that there was no sponsorship or advertising and if there was, all of the proceeds should go to a charity or even be donated to the Holden retirees to help them in any way they see fit.

#8 308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

It should also be noted that it would/should be handled (IMHO) by either this site or the fastlane and not found on F+$¥ing Facebook as the knowledge held and individuals involved on both sites know the Holden vehicle intimately and would be the best custodians of such a body of historical relevance.

#9 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 20 July 2023 - 09:21 PM

The information should be held in the public domain.

The reason the fraudsters and scammers continue to prosper is due to all the enthusiasts being so secretive and hiding records from the public

#10 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 09:58 PM

I think it’s the other way around Skap. Most of the problems in the GMH realm surround LC and LJ, and the bulk of that is due to the public release of the Service/Warranty report. Luckily these haven’t gone public for anything else.

#11 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 06:36 PM

I think it’s the other way around Skap. Most of the problems in the GMH realm surround LC and LJ, and the bulk of that is due to the public release of the Service/Warranty report. Luckily these haven’t gone public for anything else.

Maybe.

But where does the average punter, deciding he wants to buy a high spec Torana from an auction house, go for advice in a short timeframe?

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 07:25 PM

Research. Same as buying a house, buying stocks etc. buying a house you get property inspection, pest inspection etc. buying a used car you get NRMA inspection. If buying a classic car and you don’t know the car back to front you’d be crazy to buy one without expert help. Self research without hands on experience is possibly worse than none at all, people will get so hung up on numbers and totally miss that the tag is fake. Or listen to the wrong people and get conned by the two date code bullshit or similar rubbish. Unfortunately I think LC-LJ is ruined now for most by criminals and conmen and might not be easy to recover from, and the root cause is the public availability of a set of incomplete records.

#13 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 09:04 PM

Meh.

Buying a house is a poor comparison.

The inspection you organise is easily quantifiable against publicly accepted or legislated standards.

A 50 year old bloke that receives an inheritance and logs straight in to ebay or any online auction.

Who does he turn to? NRMA? They’d be about as useless as Syphilis.

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 07:35 AM

Buyer beware, same with anything. I have zero sympathy for anyone who buys such a car online without fully inspecting it! That would be the definition of a fool and his money.

NRMA reference was for a newer car.

Edited by yel327, 22 July 2023 - 07:36 AM.

#15 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:31 AM

Buyer beware, same with anything. I have zero sympathy for anyone who buys such a car online without fully inspecting it! That would be the definition of a fool and his money.

NRMA reference was for a newer car.

Yet there are almost daily stories of fools parting with their money buying cars.

Have seen some absolute shockers on Facebook for instance.

And for every one that gets a bit of social media attention there would no doubt be more too embarrassed to show their misfortune.

And because there are so many fools around, the prices of basically junk will continue to be exorbitantly high.

But there should be a bit of a reset about to come.

Some of the so called money experts are predicting it will be later this year when the real cost of the interest rate rises hits.

By then most loans that had fixed rates will have come out of their contract terms and will be hit with the rises.

I foresee a lot of toys coming on to the market around the end of the year.

Will be a good time to be cashed up I reckon.

I might need to build another shed.

Cheers

Rob

#16 LCK186

LCK186

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 06:36 PM

Hi were not talking about houses and cars who gives a fxxxx why bring that shit up,  if buyers are stupid enough not letting some one check it out toranas etc well  thats there problem   I want to get back into car engines, where people are wanting the original engines back  again,  i see no reason why who ever has an engine in his garage etc simply put up a photo of engine and the engine number for all to see,  you never know it just might be your engine you are looking for,  again what do members think     as for  skap  and  308  im with u 100 percent on this,

#17 308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for that B and yes LCK186, that has absolutely FA (to the other people not involved in that private side show garbage) to do with the suggestion of the original concept.

It’s not complicated and given the amazing conduit supplied by the internet, why shouldn’t it be utilised to make the the dusty, bird shit covered engines known about?

It could possibly also be cross referenced to DOT to see if cars still registered have a number on the list in their historical details?

It’s a long shot but you never know.

Like suggested earlier, it should be made public and in a public forum. This site or the Fastlane would be perfect for such a concept with members only being able to access the information and the ability to make contact with maybe one lot on each site. This service alone may also boost membership and strengthen the sites position in the hope of not disappearing into the mist as others have done before. As time in goes on the age group which were directly involved in the Holden vehicle and know it more than any other will sadly pass on and that’s a reality.

So Yel327….what say you?

#18 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:35 AM

Got nothing to do with me, and I'm not interested. If you want to do it go for it, but my advice would be to wait until what happened to HHS recently and make your mind up after that. All it takes is one idiot and you can end up in a State Supreme Court. And what I stated that was called a garbage side show was absolutely relevant and on point, and if not understood by anyone then the whole point was missed.

#19 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 23 July 2023 - 01:53 PM

What happened to HHS? I had read they stopped doing LH/X Toranas?

#20 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 23 July 2023 - 03:33 PM

Who is HHS?

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 July 2023 - 08:08 PM

Who is HHS?

Holden Historical Services. https://www.holdenhi...ervices.com.au/

#22 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 July 2023 - 08:11 PM

What happened to HHS? I had read they stopped doing LH /X Toranas?

That is my understanding. LC & LJ also.

#23 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 23 July 2023 - 09:55 PM

Did something go down?

#24 308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:09 PM

My apologies Yel for the garbage quote but it appears that you missed my meaning and yes it is relevant to context but 95% of punters have absolutely no idea to the depth you went which is why I wrote what I did.
As it appears this is turning into a pissing match I just hope you can all see beyond you preferences and look at the big picture here…this is different to the fool taking HHS to the beak in the fact that it’s just ordinary people putting up numbers to help others to make their vehicle correct. There are good people out there that are willing to help others to finish of their project which in alot of cases involves families that love their Holden and not some muppet chasing bragging rights.
All BS aside lads and as mentioned before that if such an idea is conceived publicly it should be done under the banner of reputable sites such as this and the fastlane.
Look forward and please don’t compare this to GMH doctrine or currently court cases as it is something that will actually do some good and benefit car enthusiasts into the future.
Photo of engine number, date code and the ability of a site member to contact another site member to complete the puzzle.
I’ve had enough of hearing…nah mate you’ll never find that!
The most frustrating thing is that they are right! As there is no possible way of locating it.
I’m not the only one that’s heard this or thought about the realty of it being so.
Let’s do something about it? And use this effluent pipe called the internet to do some good for a change. 👍

Edited by 308, 23 July 2023 - 10:13 PM.

#25 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 08:41 AM

The point is still being missed. My advice is if you must go down this path, don't show the whole engine number (like cover the last two digits) and don't show the cast date. If you are contacted by someone that says it's their original engine, demand proof or don't sell it or reveal the number. What you are going to get a lot of is morons that want the engine for their own car just because it's close to their original number, and for some stupid reason think it makes their car better (or otherwise simply want to profit from reselling it). All it takes is one of those self-righteous fools to go legal on you and you can be down the hole for tens of thousands of $. This is essentially what happened to HHS. For this reason, I don't think either Fastlane or GMH-Torana would want to be involved.

Not showing the cast date is it just makes it easier for criminals to create engines. If they are going to do that, at least make them work hard for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users