mike's LJ 4 door...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

hello all,
i have just purchased an LJ 4 door rana,,, i havnt got any pics to post yet as i dont have a digital camera, but they are on there way,. my plans for the car, i have not yet decided but i have started stripping it anyway, lol... so far i have removed all of the interior and most of the exterior, i have only just started giving the rust the boot,..
i am planning(if i keep the car) to completly rebuild it, putting a 202 in(currently has a 179), and doing, well, whatever my finances will allow. i took pictures of the car as soon as i got it home, ill try and keep the site up to date with all the stoof i do, untill i reach the engine,,, lol, cant give everything away. lol.

and if i come across problems i can not resolve on my own, i might throw them out into the big wide GMH torana world,., lol. any help would be greatly apreciated.

thnx... michael.

#2 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:26 PM

ok i have found a bit of a problem,,, The front and rear bumpers have a little bit of rust in them, i waz just wondering what i should do to remove it? and what was/are the bumpers originally, totally chrome or just this paint crap that keeps comming off?> plz help,,

thnx... michael

#3 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

Cant chrome itself just peel off?? well i have seen it on rims.

Um my bumpers have rust in them, but i cant remember if they are chrome inside or just outside, from memory they were not shiny on the underside so maybe they are film. If the bumpers are in good knick though, just get them rechromed.

#4 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:52 PM

well theres rust in them, but im going to have to get rid of that before putting them back on the car, but i spose if its only chrome then ill do as u said and get them re-chromed. does anyone on here live in tasmania(other than myself)? and know if/where i can get it done in hobart,?

#5 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

lol,,, update, just removed all the doors and windows,,, the rear window has so much rust around the edge its not funny,,, the window basically fell out. lol,,,

on the bottom of the window the metal that lacates the rubber is totaly wrecked, its almost not salvageable, but im gona give it a go. unsure if i should cut the steel out and make a different 1, its not lookin very good, lol,..

pics to come soon.

#6 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

ok ladies and gentlemen... i have finally got around to getting some pictures of tha car;;;

so here they are...

http://img345.images.../00000130dk.png
http://img345.images.../00000092ph.png
http://img345.images.../00000130dk.png
http://img345.images...82/rana16xh.png

Edited by postal_dood, 02 January 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

Looking good, now that its apart you can find all the problems :)

#8 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

lol,,, talk about problems,,, the rear window(in 1 of them pictures) basically fell out due to rust! lol,,, and the front wasnt much better!. rust in the lower front right and left gaurd's, in the boot, it was in the floor thats fixed now, in the door runners,.. thats just the rust,,,

theres a huge patch of bog in the rear right,,, removed now,, big ass dent, thats soon to be fixed, and its due for a 4 speed soon,,,

i dont do things small.. if im gona do it its gona be done right!!! just time money and a lot of hard racka...

cheers michael!

Posted Image

Edited by postal_dood, 02 January 2006 - 05:14 PM.

#9 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

question time again,,, lol.

right then. ive been talking to a few people and weighing up my options for tha engine... some people have told me to stick with the straight 6,,, some have said go for V6... or the V8... and others say go jap...

now my question is this. im after an engine that will respond "really" fast./ no bgucking about. save some time at the lights ^_^ lol, which of the previous would be a better choice??? oh and i have to be able to register it.
(im not really keen on tha jap option)

cheers michael.

Edited by postal_dood, 04 January 2006 - 12:03 PM.

#10 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

G'day postal dood, I would go the straight six option... parts are still pretty easy to get and they can be built to go pretty hard. And as for rego.... it only needs to look like a stock engine.. :D But if you go a bent eight, there's nothing wrong with that either!!!!!!!It all depends on your budget though, of course.
Good luck with whichever way you go and keep us posted as the build progresses.

#11 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

well my budget isnt that bad atm,,, im still living with my dad and im working so money is easy to save :)... lol, and i have about a grand in the bank right now.

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

Id say get a vk efi eng/auto & install the lot,a local girl had one in her lc, it was cheap & reliable,she used it everyday & the police never bothered her.If you go the conversion route,the low down torque of a v6 will leave a smile on your face.

#13 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

lol, a smile, is that all... lol. well i was thinking of going for the v6, but the cost involed in that will probly be a little to much, but if any1 thinks otherwise please let me know. i only have around 1000 right now but i can do a bit of saving, but this is why im back at the injected 202,,, and gtrboyy any reason why i should go for the auto trans? i have an aussy 4 in tha shed, would there be a problem bolting that straight up?

cheers michael.

#14 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:55 AM

Nope it should bolt straight up. The VK Auto is a 4 speed over the torana 3 speeds. But still the Trimatics are awesome once you do some work to them :)

Phil

#15 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

You can get whole vk efi car pretty cheaply if you look around & wait.I've seen a few go for $500,then you can use everything off it which I think would be a good starting point.There is nothing wrong with a trimatic,even better when tricked up.I wanted to replace my tripple webber set up with a vk efi eng,put a vortech on it but I already had my v8 set up sitting in the garage.The 4speed will bolt up,there was a vk efi 4speed on cardomain that was from Tas,if you can find it,it had all the info you will need.

#16 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

ooohhh sweet!!!,, thanks man.. ill go check it out.

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

I tried to find it but cardomain is playing up on me for some reason.

#18 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

yeah i found it... doesnt reall have much info, unless i waz lookin at the wrong 1. if its this 1,,, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/412774

#19 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

please help. another question,,,

if i buy a vk efi engine does it need a special fuel tank>. eg the original 1???

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

na, you just put a return line in the lj tank.

#21 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

is that hard to do? and how much money am i lookin at?

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

drill hole, insert fitting. with tank out and empty naturaly. say $2 for the conversion....another $10 for the line. or you could use the current fuel line for a return and run some 3/8 line (slightly larger) for the fuel feed.

#23 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

well, didnt think itd be that cheap,,, wicked, im gona have to do it.!

THANKS lc boi!

Edited by postal_dood, 07 January 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#24 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

right o'

i dont care if u dont wanna see my progress... slow it may be, but just though i might as well...

Posted Image
the engine all u guys have been helping with... lol, 202 3.3L efi... blue engine,

had some work done to... 30thou ova sized pistons,
big cons,
big crank
big cam
not sure if the valves are larger then normal, but there large so its all good
ports are large...
but theres still work to be done... !!! :D

oh, pulled the biggest dent out of the rear right gaurd... backed the car up and took off!!! lol,, pics stil to come...

#25 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

There was an lc/j 4 door with vk efi 4speed on cardomain,thats the one I was thinking of but I couldnt find it there.To get mine running I put the return line in the bottom of the filler neck & had some metal tube brazed in by my cousin as it was the quickest & easiest way to fit a return line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users