I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Hey, ATM I'm looking at different ways to do my paintwork, and there's a few little issues that I may have with the combination.

Most importantly, does anyone have any photos of a Mint Julip coloured LH/LX with a black bonnet called "JOFFA-2"? I've only got a pic of it really dirty, and I think it had something to do with these forums when I got my car, but for some reason it didn't even cross my mind. Does anyone know who's it is? Because I've just realised that I want that exact paintjob - same colours in the same areas.

I'm also looking for opinions...

would a silver grill look alright with a black bonnet do you think? Does anyone have any photos with that? (I literally cannot think of any; i think my mind has gone blank!)

I also thought it would look weird to have the chrome SL door trims (around windows, not L34 trims tho) with the blackouts continuing along the bonnet (at the top of the shoulder if that's what you call it) like the LX SLR 5000. But I have had a quick browse through my picture collection and they have that done on quite a few cars and it doesn't let it down so i'm not too worried.

Should I stick with chromed door handles? Mine are half decent but not perfect. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to painting them? Does it scratch easily? I think the A9Xs had black doorhandles...

I'm also going to have black light surrounds with silver rims (as per factory) and I think that should look alright.

I also wanna have silver taillight surrounds (not sure if i want the "ugly" SL trims surrounding them though; haven't decided yet).

I know you may think this is kinda a useless post about very minor things, but I want everything on my car to be compatible with everything else and 'work', hehe.

P.S. I want to paint my car in solid 2k Mint Julip with a black bonnet around Christmas, if anyone has any other advice please go for your life and tell me.

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

Heath, Please dont hae the chrome surrounds around the tail lights!

But so far i like the sound of how your car will look! Mint Tulip with blackbouts would be mint!

Chrome up your headlight surrounds and go a silver grill! i want to change my black grill to silver! it gives the car a newer feel to it...

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

Yeah I must admit I do like the silver grills a lot, I just don't know how it will look with the black bonnet. I'll have to do a photoshop... lol

#4 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

I agree, no chrome on taillights, if you want to brighten up the rear just go silver tails, and polish the headlight trims for a silver grille. I share your concern about the mix of black bonnet and silver grille but I think you could get away with it on the green, post your photoshops if you do 'em.

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

and if the silver grille and headlights look shit, its only a can of spray paint to fix it

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Yeah that's a good point, anything that's bolt-on can always be changed quite easily. Thanks for the input

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

You dont mix silver and black and then have a 3rd colour being green, too many colours.

If you do a black bonnet you need black grille, headlamp surrounds and talilights.

No black bonnet you can have silver surrounds and grille or black just dont add too many colours, starts looking pox.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

Well I'm gonna have chrome trims around headlight surrounds, doors, mirrors bumpers etc, or are you saying silver as in just the grill?

Keep it mind that there will be lots of blue on the car as well :D Ricer

What it will look like if I paint it and assemble it, not changing anything:
Posted Image

Only change being a black grill, as per several suggestions:
Posted Image

Silver Grill and polished healight surrounds:
Posted Image

This is the grill and headlights that were already on the photo, not that I'll be converting...
Posted Image

Edited by Heath, 05 October 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#9 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

the last one looks the best haha

have the round headlights with the last ones blackouts etc

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

If you do a black bonnet you need black grille, headlamp surrounds and talilights.

When you are looking at the taillights, the only visible bit of black will be the blackouts around the windows (if any black), and they had silver taillights on cars with window blackouts from factory; I can't see that being an issue...

Fabian, you like the second one? I'm thinking I'll do the first one, and if it looks stupid I'll change the grill (maybe swap mine with Matt's even)

Edited by Heath, 05 October 2006 - 07:09 PM.

#11 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

prefer pics 2&4

#12 _TravsUC_

_TravsUC_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:00 PM

Hey heath looking nice um i cant be bothered re3ading i can read well but bgucken hate it so yea ill read 1 day lol :furious: :rockon:

#13 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:37 AM

Pic 2 or 4 but I'm leaning to 2.

Edited by rodomo, 06 October 2006 - 12:37 AM.

#14 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'm with LS1LX, having a silver grill and light surounds just adds too many colours. If you're having the green and the blackouts as the pics, then leave the grill and surounds black. JMO.

#15 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

Heath,
I have posted a couple of photo's of a NSW Torana Club members car. It's a geniune SLR 5000 which he has owned since new. It's a great looking car, would recommend a similar colour scheme to his, cheers Mick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

if you have a black bonnet, you need a black grill and headlights, you could go silver on the taillights though

#17 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

dont get me wrong, this is a very nice car, but it would look better if it had black grill and headlights

Posted Image

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

but if you had a totally chrome bumper on that car, the grill and lights would match it better....

#19 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

I like to use this simple formula for Torana paint scheams.
If the car has a black bonnet than it's gotta be a black grill regardless of paint colour.
If your painting the car one colour than it's black grill and black light surounds for light colour paints and silver grill and light surounds for dark coulor paints for best look and effect.

#20 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

I'm with HatchmanSS76, light colour, dark grille... dark colour, light grille...

I like the second photochop you've done there - the black grille definitly suits it better!!

Cheers
Keith

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

Okay, everything's been taken on board.

The grill will stay silver until it's painted, then I will change it if I decide that it looks lousy.

I tend to agree with Cohen here, and yeah I think that car looked better before he painted the black bonnet on there, but I disagree with light colours needing dark features; I reckon Cohen's car looks absolutely awesome (as did this orange SLR as shown below) with the polished/silver shit, and they're both light colours, but I don't think I'd do it with white.

Posted Image
(the same car before he installed flares, wide wheels, droptank, both mirrors etc)

lxsstorana, that's one of the many Mint Julip cars I've been looking over, but it's a bit different because I have no rear louvres, rubbers on bumpers, flare kits, don't want any stencils (coz it's a six), and I have chrome around the place that that car doesn't have, thanks for the pics though.

Also, should I do black along my rocker panels? Or keep it green the whole way down? I find cars with the black stripe down the bottom look higher off the ground...

Ohhh and one last thing, I am going to make sure that my radiator panel stays BLACK. Seeing the car's colour through the grille is one of my pet hates.

Edited by Heath, 07 October 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#22 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

This is my favourite Heath. The 3 things that stand out are:
1 Colour coded Sports mirrors
2 Black outs below the drik to extend the black of the grill
3 LX SS/SLR 5000 front spoiler. Looks a treat colour coded.

Posted Image

#23 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

At the moment I'm not to keen on sticking a front spoiler on there, because of clearance issues etc but it will definately be considered. I may end up lowering the car a fair bit, which would make me hesitant to install one.

The colour coded GTS mirrors do look very nice, I agree.

Drik? I've interpretted that as a typo but it may be some terminology I'm not familiar with, you mean on the radiator panel to make the black grill more black (because there won't be green behind it) or something continuing down underneath the front bumper to extend it down towards the bottom of the car? Either way I will look into it definately.

Thanks for the pic, looks great!

#24 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

Keep in mind the SS SLR 5000 spoiler is much shallower. The clearance issue is why they changed them in the LX range except A9X.

#25 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Wouldn't be able to get my wheels up against a curb with it though, well not without hearing a *CRACK* first anyway lol.

Will be considered. Is that what you mean about the blackouts btw? Just painting the structual metal behind the dash in black?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users