Which State has the most Published Torana's?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

ACT - Trevors L34
Vic - LITRE8
NSW - 2TOUGH, RedA9X
QLD - DYNOSteve, Torvette/Toranamat69(residing in ACT at the time :) )
WA - Flatliner

(All the good ones are members here apparently!)

Who takes the gong?

Grant..

#2 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

What do 2TOUGH & Flatliner look like, forgive my ignorance but i have only been back posting for afew weeks and havnt been buying alot of magazines. I love DYNOsteves lj, and its hard to beat litre8 with all the innovation involved, but then again hard to choose between torries lol.

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

Here is 2-Tough

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753513

I'm lucky enough to have seen it in person last year.

M@

#4 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

ACT forgotten again! :cry: Over the years there has been many good torrys in mags from ACT. From memory Torananamat was residing in ACT when his can was published :D lately there was Trevors L34. I am originally from Victoria but would have to say that ACT has the best Torana representation in terms of cars per head of capita. Check out the two Torana clubs and see the quality of the cars :D

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

Here's Flatliner (I think), it's nothing too extravagant but it's very tasteful and 80's :D

Posted Image

#6 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

Im sure the hulk has been published as well... go the maroons...

#7 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the pics fellas, nice torries. 2TOUGH was being built by a STC member wasnt it? i have some memeory of seeing it on the site (the old version of the site). Flatliner is hot, love the 80's retro theme, georgious.

#8 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

I guess I'll ad another NSW member to the list, myself AMC, and I believe LITRE8 now lives in NSW?

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

ACT forgotten again! :cry: Over the years there has been many good torrys in mags from ACT. From memory Torananamat was residing in ACT when his can was published :D lately there was Trevors L34. I am originally from Victoria but would have to say that ACT has the best Torana representation in terms of cars per head of capita. Check out the two Torana clubs and see the quality of the cars :D

Trevors car looked really good in that article, it's just a shame that again the facts have been stretched about the L34, and even the A9X, but thats Street Machine. I think they mixed KW and HP up for starters, and they make it look like all A9X's had the T10, and the rules didn't chage with the A9X, it was purely the fact the L34 engine was already homologated for use.

#10 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Back in early '90's Leon OBrien's (Vic) Green LJ XU1 (with 16" Simmons) was featured in SM, later to sold to someone in WA. It was also in the March '95 SM issue on '25 years of racing Holdens' article.

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

Trevors car looked really good in that article, it's just a shame that again the facts have been stretched about the L34, and even the A9X, but thats Street Machine. I think they mixed KW and HP up for starters, and they make it look like all A9X's had the T10, and the rules didn't chage with the A9X, it was purely the fact the L34 engine was already homologated for use.

I thought it was just me that thought that. Also wasn't it the SL/R 5000 that had the reliability/oil smoke problems when first introduced to racing, hence enter the L34, besides Harry's dry sump oiling system of course?

Seemed to be a few other things that weren't 100% correct either, but I find that with alot of magazine articles, i.e Shannon's L34 article.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 02 February 2006 - 09:48 PM.

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

Bags not reading every magazine ever written to work out the answer. Think there's a doctorate in that one all by itself.

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:00 AM

I thought it was just me that thought that. Also wasn't it the SL/R 5000 that had the reliability/oil smoke problems when first introduced to racing, hence enter the L34, besides Harry's dry sump oiling system of course?

Seemed to be a few other things that weren't 100% correct either, but I find that with alot of magazine articles, i.e Shannon's L34 article.

The SLR5000 did have dramas, but the L34 was just as bad when first introduced. The story about sandown was correct, Bonds car smoked like it was on fire. Watch the L34 video and you'll see.

#14 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

geez if you went back to the 80's youll find most of the published torana's came from S.A, there still torry crazy over there!

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

The SLR5000 did have dramas, but the L34 was just as bad when first introduced. The story about sandown was correct, Bonds car smoked like it was on fire. Watch the L34 video and you'll see.

Yup, that was the first race with Harry's new dry sump system from memory. Is that the one where Bond pulled his car up for car preservation, and Brocky kept going, only to get black flagged later in the race?

#16 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:03 PM

Trevors car looked really good in that article, it's just a shame that again the facts have been stretched about the L34, and even the A9X, but thats Street Machine.

Yep i was disapointed with the editorial. I especially liked the bit about "there was a time you couldnt give em away" refering to L34. Where was i? From memory they have always been at least twice the price of a standard SLR5000. They are now much more though.

#17 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:26 PM

Heath - yes there is Rob's car.
Just as nice in the metal, and aging very well, although I think it's up for a spruce up in the motivation department. Maybe he or Unicorn could confirm that.
(Sorry Rob, the short term memory is shot, let alone remembering waaaaay back to poking round your garage! G..)

2TOUGH was built by Ian Williams and is finished (well, as much as you can be).
Top bloke and good friend.
He'll be popping up to Bris in late April.

Grant..

#18 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

Is that just from those you have listed or any torana?

#19 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Any Published Torana.
Just wondering where the most prolific builders are.

Just jotted those down off the top of my head (and its ppl from here :D ).

Grant..

#20 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

Back in early '90's Leon OBrien's (Vic) Green LJ XU1 (with 16" Simmons) was featured in SM, later to sold to someone in WA. It was also in the March '95 SM issue on '25 years of racing Holdens' article.

I have a poster (not sure if its from sm) of a green xu-1 with i think 16" simmons, the spokes are painted same as the car with chrome outer rim, but this one is apparently from Tasmania, very nice though. See below:

Posted Image

Edited by 05-BROCKY-05, 03 February 2006 - 06:59 PM.

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Yup, that was the first race with Harry's new dry sump system from memory. Is that the one where Bond pulled his car up for car preservation, and Brocky kept going, only to get black flagged later in the race?

Just from memory, Bond starts smoking and slows letting Moffat and Brock by. It's the one where Moffats Brute 33 car wins

#22 _svenikus_

_svenikus_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

What about Mr Mad from NSW???

#23 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

I have a poster (not sure if its from sm) of a green xu-1 with i think 16" simmons, the spokes are painted same as the car with chrome outer rim, but this one is apparently from Tasmania, very nice though. See below:

Posted Image

thats not Leons car. Leons car had V5 simmons was lime green metallic, it made top 10 at summernats 4.
it was in a couple of magazines, one was titled Snowball Syndrome.

#24 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

On the old Forum i was lucky enough to get am email containing pictures of "True Blue" torana. The pictures simply dont do it justice!!

At the Sydney Car festival yesterday, the car was on display and everywehre you looked you just spotted more and more Unbelivable work. What a car.. Definitely a credit to the owner!

I know this car has been in a magazine but i dont know any details about the owner and unfortunately i wasnt able to catch them at the show even thoughi spent a bit of time drooling at the car!

Cheers.

#25 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

QLD-
Mick Varney-LX SS 8sec street/strip, was fastest in QLD-8.80's(torana power,performance street car)
Craig Thompson LC 2-door-when it was 430cube sbc-9.40's i think(street machine)
Paul Barclay's-LX SLR(ozy-308)10.98(torana power,performance street car)
Andrew and Theresa-LC 2 door-(ppl-071 gtr look alike,torana power)
Already mentioned-2-tough and the quad cam hatch
Rebecca White-LJ GTR(quick toranas)
RDP-LJ(street machine,qld street car, street machine when it was efi and blue ohh and qld street car when it was JUST blown, and street machine too)
Brendan and Barb Gibbens-LH with flip UC front-(qld street car)
Brian-Hulk(qld street car, street machine and 1 other 1 when it was purple)
Russell Lamprecht-LC(383 chev-10.32),(performance street car)
???-Rodent big block ss hatch(qld street car running 10's)
Jeff Tunks-LH Sedan "OBSESSED", 305 sbc(torana performance,its for sale at JBC cars)
Darren Rollasons-"pro 400" big block hatch(torana performance)
Jason-LX sedan-333 stroker (torana performance)
Angela Dow-HER-350,blown rodeck SBC-runs 8.70's i think(street machine, australia drag magazine)
Nudge?-SIR-08-pearl orange uc sedan-Hillborn injected 308(qld street car)
Shannon Peters-LC GTR-(best torana's)
Rohan Hawley-LX sedan-black with pink engine bay 327(best torana's, and i think holden mania)
Russell Tronc-LX SS-308 pearl red(red hot torana's)
Rob Pace-LX SS sbc-run's low 10's, mid 9's on the gas(qld street car)
Tony Horseman-LH sedan-400chev 10.20's(qld street car)and ive been told its now the black sedan "NO MRCY" from the summernats
???-An original LJ XU1 owned by a guy up in north qld(qld streetcar)
Thats all i can remmber for now(my head hurts lots)
Ill update more when the brain cells start growing back...

Edited by NOSLH, 06 February 2006 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users