- - - - -

Squarepants' LH Sedan

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

Well, I've been promising this for a long time but now I'm actually getting around to doing it.
Here's my weapon of choice:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
These are the best pics I could scrounge up at the moment, a few things have changed on the car since I took the last lot of photo's, I'll get some more fresh ones and stick em up here asap. (Yeah I know, you've heard that before, but now I know how!)
Hope you like it. :D

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

Congrats on the pics, damn nice looking car too :)

Herne

#3 _426_

_426_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Nice looking ride.

I've been thinking that we don't see many, if any, LH/LX/UC tornasa in silver. Good to finally see one, it look the ticket indeed!

:spoton:

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

Nice, a bit of work on that dash by the looks

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Ohhhh so THAT's who you are!

Love the car, as I probably already said on CarDomain

#6 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

Looks real neat!

I duno about the dash.

Rest looks clean and straight.

#7 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

is it just me or does your dash say 000000000?????
nice torana btw love the wheels
cheers josh

#8 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

nice car mate. i like the wheels what are they and size?

#9 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Heath - (or should I say Hezath?) I knew you'd pick it. Thanks for the comments on C.D. too. I looked at your page(s), sorry I haven't left a message but that looks like a lot of work put into yours.
Gen3 - Yes, I reset the Odometer when I put it all together. If you have a look on Ebay at ZPE dash LED's you should recognise the photo.
DickieP - They are "Intro" brand from Show Wheels (in Melbourne I think). Fronts are 17x7 and rears are 17x8.
Thanks for all the comments, I'll get some better pics up real soon.

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Nice looking Torry mate!!!! Thanks for sharing pics with us!!!!

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

LOven the padded facia, always wondering how one would come up.
Where are some engine bay pics?

#12 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

So what's the motor like? She's a six yeah?

#13 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Looks good man. Love the blue light dash !! Seriously. Do you know of anyone that does black light LED's.... do they even exist?

#14 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Here's the donk
Posted Image
It's a red 202, balanced, +0.030' ACL duralites, YT 9 port with hardened exhaust valve seats, stage 1 Federal Mogul cam, home made windage tray, 320 Holley on Redline manifold, custom stainless extractors and 2 1/4" pipe (finishes just before diff with a droopy tip), aftermarket electronic ignition, electric fuel pump and thermofan, hi vol. oil pump, 3 core radiator, 55 amp alternator, and, of course, the home made cold air intake.
Its got a steel case Celica 5 spd sitting on a Mal Wood X-member, a dellows bellhousing, "Direct Clutch" heavy duty pressure plate and shortened throw out bearing carrier behind it.
I think that's about it. I'll prolly think of some more stuff as soon as I post this.
When I jack it up next I'll take some shots of the rear end, and hopefully soon I'll have a newly assembled front end to photograph.

All interior lights are blue. Dash, stereo, interior, 2 custom courtesy lights in rear pillars, even the glovebox light!

Black LED's ey? Never seen or heard of them but that would be trick! Maybe you could adapt some black neons somehow???

Edited by Squarepants, 28 April 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#15 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Oh yeah, battery is in the boot too.

#16 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

Car looks awesome mate. Love the silver, pity you dont see more torries like it. oh well, makes yours orginal.

Just one question though, i understand the home made cold induction, definetly big improvement but why to you tape the hose? wouldn't a clamp have been better?

#17 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

Just one question though, i understand the home made cold induction, definetly big improvement but why to you tape the hose? wouldn't a clamp have been better?

The hose is actually riveted to the filter cover, the tape is just to hide the rivets. It's something that I did a long long time ago and I'm not overly happy with it now, but it's functional.
A clamp wouldn't hold as the inlet is tapered, unless I got some bigger hose and put it over the parallel section, but the hose would have to be so big it would look a bit rediculous, I think.

#18 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

might be a dumb question but whats the black think on the right front of the enginebay with two hoses running from it?

#19 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

Cannister for pollution

#20 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

might be a dumb question but whats the black think on the right front of the enginebay with two hoses running from it?

Glacier is right, it's the charcoal canister. It normally sits on the other side of the engine bay from factory. I removed it many years ago and put the cold air intake in, then I decided to put it back in so as not to give the boys in blue another excuse to put me off the road. As the battery has been moved and the battery tray cut out and smoothed, that seemed like a logical place to put it. Not to mention the fuel tank breather and the carby are both on that side of the car.

#21 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

Here are the rear end pics as promised:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I have the tailshaft out ATM due to my oil leak problem... :angry: http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=36631
In the pics you can see my tubular lower trailing arms that I made and you can just catch a glimpse of the upper adjustable arms from McDonald Bros. While it's up I'm going to pull them back out and modify them to give them sufficient clearance.
Read this for explaination: http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=35870
The springs are King lowered but are about 12 years old now. I'd like to replace them with new King items soon, and fit some Superpro spring hats to get it sitting exactly where I want it to. Shocks are Boge "turbo" items. They sway bar is a modified VP unit, I had to straighten the ends out a bit to get the link pin bushes sitting reasonably square. All rear end bushes are Superpro, the trailing arm bushes are all 90 duro except the rear upper arm ones (in the diff) which are 70 duro. The diff shop sais they normally put rubbers in there for NVH reasons so I chose to compromise.
The diff is a shortened VP Borg Warner 28 spline with 3.45's and a VL turbo LSD. It has disc brakes to which I've fitted DBA 4000 series slotted rotors, Bendix pads and stainless braided hoses (the hose from body to diff is also braided). I fitted all new solid brake lines to the diff aswell. I file finished the calipers and painted them with "VHT bright blue".
Posted Image
Posted Image
They are a bit dirty in the pics, but hey, it's a street car.
That's about all I can think of right now, I'll add later if I remember anything else.

#22 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Oh yeah... Custom handbrake cables to suit the Commode brakes and the UC handbrake lever.
You can also see the droopy tip on my exhaust that I had fitted as the tailpipe hit the diff. I will put a tailpipe back on one day as it's obnoxiously loud inside the cabin now. Maybe I'll wait for the 2J, though! :spoton:

Edited by Squarepants, 09 May 2009 - 05:12 PM.

#23 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Well, time for a quick update...
I've finally got the new front end in, but it sits high in the front now. I put that down to the old worn out bushes sagging. It's a UC front end with the UCA's lowered to the LX RTS position and a strengthening plate welded to the bottom. I've retained the LH LCA's as they are made from thicker steel than the UC ones. I now need to fit steering stops to them like the UC ones have as the steering arms foul on them at certain droop positions. I will do this mod and double check everything else is right, then look at getting the Super Pro spring hats for the rear to lift it up a little to level the car out. All front bushes, x-member mounts and steering coupling are S.P. except the UCA bushes which are rubber. I've had poly's in the UCA's before which caused problems so I chose rubber this time around.
I have also fitted a B&M "launch control" unit (line locker) and LED tail light bulbs (and brake/tail bulb holders) and front indicator and park light bulbs. I've also hooked the thermo fan up to an over ride switch so I can turn it on whilst "controlling my launches".
I'll try to get some good pics soon.
I'm going to replace the LSD centre with a FWD Systems Lokka very soon and do a bit of a spruce up on the engine with a new cam, rolla rockers, YT flywheel, Romac balancer and some finned alloy covers. That should keep me entertained until I build the new engine... The plan is for an EFI turbo 202. I'm collecting bits and pieces at the moment but it's gonna be a while before it all comes together.

OOH, almost forgot about the Hoppers Stoppers 290mm brake kit on the front. They have DBA 4000 series slotted rotors (to match the back), file finished calipers painted VHT bright blue, PBR pads and stainless braided hoses.

#24 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

All sounds good mate, could we see a pic of the front brake setup?

I've also hooked the thermo fan up to an over ride switch so I can turn it on whilst "controlling my launches".

:spoton: :spoton: :spoton:

Cheers

#25 _sic slr_

_sic slr_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

hey mate nice looking car, the wheels look great and its great to see a silver torrie as well and with no spoilers Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users