#1 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Car:1970 LC GTR

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

I had this idea for modifying a Banjo diff but I dont know if it would work or not, what I thought was to take a set of either LH/LX or HK/T/G axles and have them cut down to suit an LC/J, machined to 31 spline axles and then fit a 31 spline mini spool to the banjo centre.

Would this be possable or am i looking at it to simpley?

Cheers Matt

#2 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

Pretty sure the diff has to be lsd to run a mini spool with banjo's. so you might not be able to do it

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

The problem with such a move is that it won't stop the axles twisting and I bet it will still bust at the spline becuase you will be chewing into the case hardening.

If you feel you have to stay with the banjo and you are having axle dramas then billet custom jobs will probably be the go...sounds expensive...9 inch diffs are cheap.

Edited by FastEHHolden, 17 April 2006 - 09:03 PM.

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

A 31 spline spool or mini spool is designed for 31 spline 9" axles. These axles have a larger diameter than banjo axles, so your idea won't work.

#5 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

If you put a mini-spool in which Im not sure if you can still buy but it may make the diff last longer but then you will start twisting axles or snapping them.It would be better to put something stronger or if you have to have a banjo find a fine spline diff & axles which wont be cheap or easy to find.

#6 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

would it be possible to shorten and modify a set of ford axles to have torana stud pattern and fit a banjo diff housing?

Cheers Matt

#7 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

You can use the 25 spline borgwarner axles out of a centura... If you can find any!
They are the correct length and the mini spool for a 25 spline Borgwarner can be made to fit, as can a Deroit locker hemisphere as well, if you were so inclined!

Cheers Greg..

#8 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for that Greg, I had heard about centura axles before but i didnt know that they where the right length out of the box, how do you go about changing the stud pattern?

Also i had been told by a historic touring car guy that while they are stronger if they do break they break right at the hub and the whole wheel falls of which is why he still uses the banjo holden ones which break at the spline, would this be a problem?

Last thing, how many spline are the holden fine spline axle/diff?

Cheers Matt

#9 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

1:Pay a machinist.
2:Yes.
3:Yes.
and
4:23 spline in that order!
I too run 23 splines and if you aren't a total abuser then they aren't all that bad.. Just pull them out occassionally and check for twist at the splines..
Oh... and you will find a supply of 23 spline axles hidding in the ass of a Gemioni. (knew they would be good for sumfin')
Good luck with it!

Cheers Greg..

#10 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:22 AM

If I did decide to to just use the 23 spline holden axles would I be better off using a mini spool or just welding up an open centre diff? and on that note is there even a mini spool available for 23 spline axles?

Also are there any differences between the torana axles and the gemini axles?

Cheers Matt

#11 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:20 AM

Mini spools are still available but you need an LSD centre to fit the spool,they don't fit an open centre. An open centre diff can be welded up but it may break because you are welding case hardened gears.The Gemini axles are the same length from spline to bearing & 5mm longer from bearing to flange, so you fit a 5mm spacer between the axle tube & the brake backing plate & need to be redrilled to suit Torana stud pattern.Gemini axles from the station wagon or the diesel are the better ones to use. I used Gem axles in my LJ for 3 years on with road use & 80 passes down the strip & only broke 1 axle due to wheel tramp.

#12 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

there is a bloke in sydney that makes the locker banjos using centura axles for the biante xu1 race cars.

#13 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

So even if I used the centura 25 spline axles I would still need to use an LSD centre to fit the mini spool, yes?

Also I still like the idea of using my currant (shagged) Banjo LSD centre, fitting a 31 spline mini spool and then modifying a set of Ford 9" axles to fit, is this at all possable?

Cheers, and thanks for all this great info, Matt

#14 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hi Matt.

This whole idea is not good.

The 31 spline axle are too large in diameter & will not fit thru the ends of the Banjo's hemisphere or the side bearings & a 31-spline mini-spool won't fit a banjo centre anyway, LSD or not.

If you could get all of that to work, you still have a very weak crown wheel & pinion, the hemisphere itself & the centre casting.

Why dont you look seriously at a Commodore B-W rear end or a 9" conversion.

Dr Terry.

#15 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

I would love to put in a BW diff, but i cannot justify spending that much money on my diff at the moment, so i was looking at some cheaper and more inovative ideas.

How much of the conversion work for a BW could i do myself? (i have access to welders, lathes, milling machines and the like even CNC machines) Is it a very hard job?

Cheers Matt

#16 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hi Matt.

This whole idea is not good.

The 31 spline axle are too large in diameter & will not fit thru the ends of the Banjo's hemisphere or the side bearings & a 31-spline mini-spool won't fit a banjo centre anyway, LSD or not.

If you could get all of that to work, you still have a very weak crown wheel & pinion, the hemisphere itself & the centre casting.

Why dont you look seriously at a Commodore B-W rear end or a 9" conversion.

Dr Terry.

dead right DR Terry the hole exercise of modifing a banjo is
and will allways be a BIG WAIST OF TIME -MONEY

B/W Is the way to go :spoton:
as a 9inch tends to over balance the littel LJ_LC
vL turbo 4pinion LSD is one of the strongest and prob the best choice

dave..

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

I agree,go with the b/w as it is a hell of a lot stronger & reliable.I wish I had of done it years ago instead of breaking so many banjos,it got even worse after I put an eight in.

#18 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hi Guys.

Dave720gtr said

"vL turbo 4pinion LSD is one of the strongest and prob the best choice"

The VL turbo 4-pinion is no stronger than the VL V8 LSD, the ratio is the only difference.

Also all VN to VS LSD 'live axle' rear ends (V6 or V8) are the same strength again, only around 2" longer. They're all 28 spline 4-pinion. If you shorten the axles to the required length the VN to VS are way cheaper & more plentiful than the VL turbo & V8 diffs.

Dr Terry.

#19 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

Very usefull info there dr, terry :spoton: as thay are asking $1200 for vL turbo/v8

were you can get a vn diff for next two nothing there laying around
In the state foresty up here every were 'LOL"did,nt no there all 4 pinion it would be only in the LSD as dr terry said

dave

Edited by dave720gtr, 18 April 2006 - 07:11 PM.

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

There was somebody on the phpBB who had an all alloy spool made for 23 spline banjo centres. I think the cost was around the $700 mark. He made mention that more could be made for other forum members, but nothing else was heard. Any idea who that was? The centre was made in Melbourne from memory. Possibly Mordialloc.

#21 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

Another diff option is the 2wd Toyota Hilux,they are the same width as the LC/LJ & require no shortening, thus no resplining of axles.Plenty of ratio's 3.54,3.7,3.9,4.11,4.37,4.5,4.88,5.29 also LSD,Detroit Locker & full spools are available.They have an 8" crown wheel with 30 spline axles & also the diff centre is removable the same as the banjo & 9",with axle tubes similar size to the banjo so no clearance probs with a large exhaust pipe. I've just recently fitted one to my LJ & happy with it so far.
Warren

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Specifically, what model and year Hilux's?

#23 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

chopper i just check out a 19.84 mod 4x4 huilux looks the right length
it looks very much the same as the bango , well it is a bango just toyota, i seen one in the trader once
to suit LJ LC i think it was $650 bolt in

#24 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:45 PM

512 rwhp and I still use the LSD F/S Banjo and relatively happy with it.
I have never broken the crownwheel or pinion and never twisted a fine spline axle.
I once put a course spline diff and axle in and broke the axle straight away so the course splines are very weak.

One of the weaknesses in the bango is the carrier bearing caps. I have broken these when I got the car airborne and landed with a bit of power on and it destroyed the diff completely, but never broke or bent the axles. To solve this problem I had two bars machined that support the carrier caps. These caps help in other ways.

I have only ever broken the spider gears when the diff tramped at the track.

I have sticky toyo RA-1 tyres that does load the diff.

I am more scared of breaking 3rd gear in the Supra gearbox.

I have abused fine spline LSD Banjos for the last 20yrs but not in a way that destroys them. Long burnouts that forces the wheels to spin at different speeds will destroy any diff.

Edited by turbotrana, 19 April 2006 - 08:48 PM.

#25 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

Being a fair bit into 4x4ing I know there is plenty of aftermarket bits for hilux diffs. Strength shouldnt be too much of a drama as low range in 4x4s can load the driveline a fair bit, even in low powered cars. Probably not as strong as a B/W, but I would say stronger than a bango, and toyota LSD arent worth shit :D Suppose it wouldnt be hard to get hilux axles modyfied to torana stud pattern or get new blank axles. I dont think youd ever bust an axle in a hurry, the same size is used in landcruisers

Edited by shanegtr, 19 April 2006 - 11:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users