warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:53 AM

Chopper,the diff that I used was from a 1978 RN25 which has shorter axles the same length as the LC/LJ 670mm(rough measurement). Toyota changed the length somewhere around 1980/82 to 695mm(accurate measurement)this may be suitable for LH/LX/UC? Comparing a B/W & Hilux very similar in size inside Hilux has thicker crown wheel plus the Hilux can change ratios quicker due to it being a removable centre. I have seen plenty of these diffs used in dragsters over the years appear to be quiet strong without the weight of a 9" & about 3kgs heavier than a banjo.

#27 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

and I daresay, they would be easier to get parts for, and things like detroit and air lockers would be more available.
how about Volvo diffs? they already have the right stud pattern.

#28 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

Chopper,the diff that I used was from a 1978 RN25 which has shorter axles the same length as the LC/LJ 670mm(rough measurement). Toyota changed the length somewhere around 1980/82 to 695mm(accurate measurement)this may be suitable for LH/LX/UC? Comparing a B/W & Hilux very similar in size inside Hilux has thicker crown wheel plus the Hilux can change ratios quicker due to it being a removable centre. I have seen plenty of these diffs used in dragsters over the years appear to be quiet strong without the weight of a 9" & about 3kgs heavier than a banjo.

Thanks for that. LH - UC rear track is 54", so it's a matter of using different offset rims to get it close enough. I shall keep this in mind. Just need to keep money in the pocket.

#29 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

This is interesting anyone else got any more info on fitting Hilux or Volvo diff's to say Lh-Lx's???

Was said somewhere that a LSD for a VOlvo diff was expensive? What would you be looking at price wise, also read else were to that they are a Dana 30 ????? and that LSD are easy to find for these. Did i remember all this correct????

Obviously a 9' in better but just looking at other opions :rockon:
If you went't the hilux for more avaliably ratio's and centres, what brakes did they run, or what brakes could you run with these????

#30 Mr Lc

Mr Lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

hey lhMusl i am doin the hilux diff conversion in my lj, as already mentioned early model hilux diffs are the same length as lc/lj i can back this up as i have measured them, you would need a later model hilux diff, bit longer, the length changed somewhere which was also mentioned but not sure on a exact year, also the hilux's have drum brakes on the rear. I found the best place to find info on these diffs is the toymods forum these guys have fitted supra brakes and torsen lsd centres to g series hilux diffs they have also done many other things and fitted them to all sorts of cars. Another place to try is rotary forums as these guys sometimes put hilux diffs into mazdas. Hope ive helped a little :spoton:

#31 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

Cool thanks for that Mr Lc, i must admit being a rotor and toyota (mmmm1uz turbo) fan i have visited some of these sights before :spoton: I shall dig deeper!
THanks Mate

#32 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi Guys.

Dave720gtr said

"vL turbo 4pinion LSD is one of the strongest and prob the best choice"

The VL turbo 4-pinion is no stronger than the VL V8 LSD, the ratio is the only difference.

Also all VN to VS LSD 'live axle' rear ends (V6 or V8) are the same strength again, only around 2" longer. They're all 28 spline 4-pinion. If you shorten the axles to the required length the VN to VS are way cheaper & more plentiful than the VL turbo & V8 diffs.

Dr Terry.

I was looking around and found this Dr Terry,

http://www.gumtree.c...u-ef/1024793674

Attached File  VL TURBO.jpg   31.19K   1 downloads

A very good idea to keep all things Holden and is this wider than a Banjo Centre Carrier. Dave I

Edited by TORYPOWER, 11 August 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#33 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Wow, 7 year old thread?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users