- - - - -

SS Hatchback - The Story So Far

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#51 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

I may be mistaken but i remember reading about your first build up of this car in a Torana magazine years ago, around 1992 i think. It detailed the accident you had that started of the build & had pics of the car smashed, it was very inspiring to me as a budding young Torana owner undertaking my first project to see the work you put in to save it. Wish i still had the magazine. Anyhow, great work & even more impressive that you still own the car. Excellent reading, thanks for sharing.

#52 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Great pictures and story. Good to see your car from start to now. Notice I didn't say finish as there is no such thing. I bet your mate is kicking himself now for selling it.

#53 _lxss5l_

_lxss5l_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

Back when summernats was all about haveing fun with not to many rules. I had to laugh about your mate what a legend you need a mate like that at summernats to guard the cars. The toranas look ausome Posted Image Mate I love this pic i'd have that one blown up in the shed. With a Curtain in case my mum visits haha no not realy. But I realy do think we need a thred just Dedicated to torana girls pics lol and one with guys for the girls if thay won't haha. PS The car looks unreal. Posted Image

Edited by lxss5l, 25 July 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#54 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

That would be one of the best shots for telling a story on car building I have ever seen love it, you have me thinking about doing a similar thread for my old of bomb of twenty years

Yeah mate its like that, i really wanted a stroker crank but just couldnt afford one back then as just the crank alone back then was way more than a whole kit is now... Start your thread mate it reminds you of how much work and sometimes frustration goes along with it, being green and not knowing who is good and who is not, you now the stuff. Luckily now the internet is massive and alot of forums and knowledge is thrown around so it can help you spend on the right goods the first time.

#55 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

I may be mistaken but i remember reading about your first build up of this car in a Torana magazine years ago, around 1992 i think. It detailed the accident you had that started of the build & had pics of the car smashed, it was very inspiring to me as a budding young Torana owner undertaking my first project to see the work you put in to save it. Wish i still had the magazine. Anyhow, great work & even more impressive that you still own the car. Excellent reading, thanks for sharing.

Yep thats the one, and for other reasons holds great sentimental value too. Dont think i could ever get rid of it, come to think of it i think its easier letting your kids move out :)

Thanks for the comments mate

Great pictures and story. Good to see your car from start to now. Notice I didn't say finish as there is no such thing. I bet your mate is kicking himself now for selling it.

Was good catching up with you yesterday Paul, not often you seen 2 hatchbacks parked in the same street. I know you have had yours almost as long as i have had mine so you know it never ends. The fella that sold it to me still laughs about me still owning it, but he is happy that it went to a good home

#56 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Back when summernats was all about haveing fun with not to many rules. I had to laugh about your mate what a legend you need a mate like that at summernats to guard the cars. The toranas look ausome

Mate I love this pic i'd have that one blown up in the shed. With a Curtain in case my mum visits haha no not realy. But I realy do think we need a thred just Dedicated to torana girls pics lol and one with guys for the girls if thay won't haha. PS The car looks unreal.

Yep they were good days , except the riot year ;)

Yeah at the time the pic was up in our workshop at work but then with work laws and stuff had to come down :)

So motor was back together and ready for paint , well almost. Still some masking to do

Posted Image

And also got a different manifold, had some alloy plates tig welded in to tidy it up a bit

Posted Image

The ground of what i didnt want to see and smoothen it out a bit

Posted Image

Some polishing

Posted Image

new roller rockers to go with the new solid cam and lifters

Posted Image

Edited by SS Hatchback, 25 July 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#57 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

So while the motor was being done and put in we also did a few other things, Tidied the brake lines again, Electronic ignition, new half inch fuel line, 650 dp Holley, earls fuel fittings. Almost finished with the poor quality pics.. Im thinking its probably around the 1999 area.

Posted Image

And thought we better lower it again ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok at this point the car stayed like this for a few years , the Mrs was on my back about now rebuilding the house :) At this point here we pretty much swap over to digi pics so ill sort a few out and start bringing out the more recent changes....

Edited by SS Hatchback, 25 July 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#58 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

Great photo's, story and Awesome car!

Look forward to the rest of the photo's and story.

#59 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

Thanks alot for sharing Rob. Great story with plenty of ups and downs. I bet your happy you stuck with it!

Top Hatch

#60 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Thanks guys and Ryan it has taught me persistance pays off in the end

Here is pretty much what the engine bay looked like back then but better quality pics

Posted Image

#61 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

Time for another wheel change, heres the new 17in F90's i bought, Commodore wheels so at the same time it was ready for a needed brake upgrade

Posted Image

So hotwires are off and ready to be sold

Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

What colour is this beast? Standard or custom? In some of your pics it looks red and in others its very orange.

PS. The wheels make such a big difference too, really bring it up another notch.

#63 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

Great thread mate, good to see such dedication..

Can i ask how have you got the battery set up in the hatch area??

#64 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Great Thread Rob!

Love the old pictures of the beast mate.... Nothing better than seeing where something was to get to where it is now!

Cheers!

#65 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Great thread mate, good to see such dedication..

Can i ask how have you got the battery set up in the hatch area??

Actually thats a real good question and had me stumped for years trying to make it look pretty but evenutally i suceeded, pics coming up soon so check back cause i think interior is coming up next..

What colour is this beast? Standard or custom? In some of your pics it looks red and in others its very orange.

PS. The wheels make such a big difference too, really bring it up another notch.

Its actually red (gaurds red - Porsche 911)but alot of times i get back home to check photos and it looks orange, which would make one certain forum member happy theres another orange hatch :)

Yep the wheels really made a difference with this car as you will see but there is one more wheel change after this one. The next change in wheels is not really that noticable though..

Great Thread Rob!

Love the old pictures of the beast mate.... Nothing better than seeing where something was to get to where it is now!

Cheers!

Thanks Tiny, Geez i think you knew me when it still had the us racers :)

Ok so off with the rear drums and on with the commo rear discs, the wheel hub area needed to be made bigger for the new rims too

Posted Image

The rear wheel on for checking fitment

Posted Image

#66 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

Didnt take many pics of prepping the calipers and cradles but you get the idea here

Posted Image

The front nearly complete, I got in early when the hopper stopper kit was aroun the $880 mark, have to say the brake upgrade has been awesome. Nothing like pressing the pedal and knowing your going to stop

Posted Image

Posted Image

And brakes completed and wheels fitted, new rear outers on order

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SS Hatchback, 26 July 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#67 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

:clappin: Awsome thread mate .

It is great to see you have got all the history of the build and subtle changes love your work.

Garth

#68 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

:clappin: Awsome thread mate .

It is great to see you have got all the history of the build and subtle changes love your work.

Garth

Cheers Garth

Around 2005 now and its time for the toploader to go and replaced with a t700 auto, see pic below the hydraulic master cylinder for the clutch is now gone and a throttle pressure cable from the box is now hooked up ..

Posted Image

#69 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

and i almost forgot heres some pics with the widened rear rims

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

another random picture

Posted Image

#71 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Then i bought this 750dp

Posted Image

Posted Image

#72 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

Next pic of the bay with the 750 fitted and also replaced the old brake master with new commodore type 1". And again redone the brake lines :( besides being different setup the old ones were imperial. Other changes were the cvr accel bracket and rerouted the pressure cable from the gearbox to the carb and chassis rail plugs finally.

Posted Image

Edited by SS Hatchback, 26 July 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#73 _Matt777_

_Matt777_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

Good thread, very nice hatch.....Posted Image

#74 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

I think you might be right mate!!

It's been a while... #streetmachine i think it was!

Old school mate! Old School Cool!!

#75 fine69

fine69

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Name:Sean Commins
  • Car:1977 Lx sl hatch, 1969 LC S 2 door

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

:burnout:Nice work mate, there hard to give up hey still got my first tory/first car 69 lc two door. I think I've got that torana mag in the cubord, will have to have a look.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users