Insurance

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _L_X_Hatch_

_L_X_Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hey, i remember reading a thread on here a while ago about insurance and now i cant find it again. alot of people where saying how they were getting full comp, agreed value and all other good stuff for cheap. i think it was a different section or aami or gio or something. i think it was called classic and vintage insurane? it was only for cars 30 years and older. and my lx is finally 30 so i would like to take advantage of it. any help would be great.

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Ring Shannons

#3 _L_X_Hatch_

_L_X_Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:07 PM

but isn't shannons just for over 25's and dont ya have to keep your car in a garage?

#4 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

I think Shannons and Vigil are the two best insurance companies for older cars. NRMA also have classic/veteran insurance.

It pays to get a few quotes and go thought the process as the quotes vary depending upon post codes, age, experience etc, etc.

Mick.

#5 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...nnons insurance

I think thats ^ the thread your talking about (btw I'm 46 yo)

#6 _L_X_Hatch_

_L_X_Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

thanks guys, it was the classic and veteran insurance that i was after, seems to be the only one that gives under 25's some credit.
the thread i was looking for was

http://www.gmh-toran...teran insurance

thanks guys

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

yeah is started a thread ages ago, full comp when i was 17 (im only 18 now) agreed value, salvage rights and unlimited mods aslong as they are legal, for 297 bucks a year. all in my name. and insured for like 12 grand i think. GIO vintage and veterans. CHEERS :rockon:

#8 _L_X_Hatch_

_L_X_Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

i tryed the vintage and veteran insurace but apparently my 77 hatch isn't 30 yet so no good. they will only ensure 76 and older cars. All the other places told me ive got no chance or that the price aint worth it as they will only cover it for market value of 2700 (id like to see somebody find a clean lx hatch with v8 and 4 speed for that price) and my excess would be about 2500 anyway so it's useless. so i've just got crappy 3rd party fire and theft for another year.

#9 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Ring Shannons

Shannons are by far the best in my experience, l have had nothing but good dealings with them. They actually do have an interest in the cars and will consider fair market value and keep up with the ongoing value increases. l found Vigil to be hopeless if trying to get insurance at anything near current replacement value.

Cheers

#10 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

Replacement value and fair market value.......are they the same?

How much do you value a UC for that is better condition than it came out of the factory with all factory options and more.....if you are from Shannons, $3000. I wouldnt care what they value it at.......if they could put another one in exactly the same condition back in my driveway if it was written off or stolen........but the thing is that's not how they operate. Vigil have agreed to insure my car at $5500, after just sending them some photos.....still wouldnt be possible to replace it for that amount though, but its an improvement.

#11 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

Shannons do agreed value as well, and I also highly recommend them. :spoton:

#12 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

as do i ^^

#13 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

My experience with Shannons was that agreed value was to agree to the value they give it.

#14 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

You're right Devil but you can usually negotiate abit with most companies especially if you let them inspect your car.

The 'agreed' price should then be in black and white on your insurance policy so there is no doubt about what price your car is insured for.

Retention of the wreck is also another consideration you may wish to think about especially if you have a GTR, XU1, SLR, A9X etc.

Mick.

#15 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

but as said shannons wont togh under 25 year olds with a 20ft pole. said they would cover me for third party only and it was goin to cost me a fortune. Vintage and Vets in for cars over 30 YO, another cuple years and all our pride and joys will be coverable. :tease: insurance isnt easy to get when you are, as i was when looking 17 male and wanting to insure an old "hotted up" car (was how they kept putting it) everyone wanted an absolute fortune or wjust said no. just a quick question do i have to tell them i got done for speeding? will it effect my policy?

#16 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

just a quick question do i have to tell them i got done for speeding? will it effect my policy?

Good question......obtaining some driving convictions during the period of insurance is not quite the same thing as doing some mods, which they should be notified of immediately. They may ask on the renewal reminder, however, if they don't......check the fine print of the policy to see if you are required to notify them of changes in your driving, accident, criminal convictions etc.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 25 March 2007 - 11:50 PM.

#17 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:51 PM

no they didnt ask on my renewal about driving offences, i discussed it with my parents and we all just assumed that they would put the policy price up (as when you first get a quote they ask if you have a driving record) i wil get my policy out when i get home (as i am 7 hours away from it at the moment)

#18 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

devilsadvocate Posted on Mar 25 2007, 05:51 PM
  My experience with Shannons was that agreed value was to agree to the value they give it

When I first insured my Hatch, Shannons asked me how much I wanted to insure it for, and they agreed to the figure I quoted.
I have recently called them and increased the insurance on both my SL hatch and SS. They asked me why I wanted to do this, and I said I believed they have increased in value. No problem, they said, and posted out an updated policy with the new agreed figure.
They have never asked to see the cars.

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

Must be two Shannon's in existence! I took my car to the one in Cheltenham. The "torana expert" that checked out my car said it would be more original if it didnt have the extra things under the bonnet. I pointed out that apart from the lpg hardware it was all holden ........he had an issue with this large compartment fitted to the front firewall...... after pointing out it was the genuine fact air system ........"impossible toranas were never fitted with air"

Yeh.... see ya!

#20 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

just a quick question do i have to tell them i got done for speeding? will it effect my policy?

Good question......obtaining some driving convictions during the period of insurance is not quite the same thing as doing some mods, which they should be notified of immediately. They may ask on the renewal reminder, however, if they don't......check the fine print of the policy to see if you are required to notify them of changes in your driving, accident, criminal convictions etc.

Working as an insurance broker I can say that it is most definently a condition of your policy that you disclose all information about you and your car to your insurance company, all insurance companies now have a Duty of Disclosure clause which means if you dont tell them everything they should know about you they can refuse your claim (not likely to happen as it give them a bad rap but they can do it!).

It is also unlikely your premium would go through the roof just telling them about a speeding fine, minimal charge at best (if any).

cheers,
mick

#21 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

Ha ha, thats some Torana expert you had inspect your car there Devils.

I wonder if Shannon's procedures vary from state to state?

#22 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

i am in queensland and spoke with shannons this afternoon.
i upped my insurance to almost double what it was by supplying a few photos and an extra 6 dollars a month.

#23 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

orangelj, definately be honest with your traffic history, though you only have to reveal the last 5 year.... which I'm guessing it is probably in.... If something happens and youve bullshitted them, you wont be covered.. and they will find out.. I'd insure it under your parents name, with you listed as a regular driver, it even counts towards your rating, at half the normal ...i.e. 2 years listed as a reg driver, counts for 1 year under your name... I have found shannons amazing, they have insured my xu1 for 100k, with nominal use of 12 times per year for under 300 bucks...
Though if your going under the oldies name, try racq, or nrma... usually quite reasonable.....

#24 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

Im already insured with GIO. and quite hapiily. next time io need to renew it i will tell them.

#25 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Im intertested to know how Shannons etc are when it actually comes to making a claim? I've heard not so good stories (usual case though, you generally only hear about the negetives in regards to claims and non-payment). Insurance companies are good when accetping your money, but which ones are good at paying it out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users