torana pics from 1980

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

hi all, just a few photos from 1980 when the hunter LH LX torana club was 2 years old. check out the big flairs on my mates yellow SL/R5000 which he still has put away in the corner of his shed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Geez I thought A9X flares were big

#3 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

"Torana City" The cars were nicely presented.

#4 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

Thats awsome. Love them pics.

John

#5 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

anybody else got any old photos

#6 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

Yeh i have heaps of old school pics but i have put em all up before that they are even old oldschool pics now lol.

If you guys wana see i can post again.

John

#7 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

anybody else got any old photos

I've only got one, it was my gf's car when i was 18....we had heaps of fun in this little baby :rockon: , till it got nicked :<_<:

Posted Image

#8 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Please keep the pics coming. I love seeing all the old pics from when the Torana's were still in their prime

#9 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

Thats one heck of a collection of Toranas and those must be the mother of all flares!

#10 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

There some nice photo's, i wonder how many of those cars are actually still around?

Where abouts was that dealership located if you dont mind me asking, as my torana was from Cessnock way originally and it was a Saffron L32 when it left the factory....

I know that it made its way to Sydney around 82/83 when it was transformed into the A9X replica it is today, and was sold by a dealership on Parramatta Road in Homebush/Granville.

#11 _MY-V6-OK_

_MY-V6-OK_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

some nice old pics you have there
here is a old pic of my gtr
Posted Image

#12 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

i put these in another thread but they belong here as well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

Posted Image

You have very good taste in wheels :spoton:

#14 _77LXSleeper_

_77LXSleeper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi

Geoff Boyd Holden is an old Cessnock Holden Dealer. The site is now an Aldi Store. Geoff still runs a car dealership in Kurri Kurri, my father worked for him at Geoff Boyd Holden Cessnock doing finance and insurance for a few years.

I am very familiar with the Yellow SLR5000 with large flares, John Jowatt of Jowetts Smash Repairs Cessnock hand made the twin skin flares, they are a work of art, the flares are big so as to blend in with the 13" rims he runs.

Richard has spent a LOT of money on the car over the years, the car has a colourful history I will share with you one day.

I travelled with Richard in the Yellow Torana to our first Hunter Torana Club meeting in the early 80's and we both joined on the same night.

I am positive that Richard still owns the Torana. It is still in pristine condition. I worked with Richard at a local coal mine for nearly two decades, he is one of the best storemen that I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. One of his young daughters pictured with the car just got married.

I will be forever grateful to Richard as he introduced me to a friend of his Colin "Buck" Jones who is now deceased. Buck was a great mentor and friend who helped me down the Torana path and changed my life forever for the better. A man can share no greater gift.

Cheers

Jaimie

#15 _SLR5000_

_SLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hey Arrimar love the old pictures of the SLR 5000! Below are some eighties pictures of some Toranas I have owned.

Lina Mint LC XU-1 - Fantastic car & I had a stack of fun using this as my daily driver in the eighties.

Posted Image

"The Stroke" this car was a lethal weapon in the early eighties, this is one of only a few pictures I have after it was recovered stolen! It did look great prior to being stolen & I used to love blowing those rotories away with this baby :)

Posted Image

Adriatic Turqouise Metalic 1972 XU-1 - My favorite Torana an absolute gem to drive was used mostly as a weekend car.

Posted Image

Edited by SLR5000, 25 April 2007 - 12:16 PM.

#16 _MY-V6-OK_

_MY-V6-OK_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

this colour Adriatic Turqouise Metalic with the chrome on the globes looks smickkkkk ,the colour may look dark but the look with the chrome on the wheels is ooohhh yeahhhh ,,,

#17 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

MY-V6-OK, as my computer screen is not the best, what colour was your Torana? was it orange or yellow? As my dad had a yellow GTR with the same wheels and the gills blacked out in the late eighties that he sold to a young couple, they saw it in a parking lot and approached him.....

77LXSleeper, thank you for that information, I managed to track the history of my car back to 1977 where is was last registered to a gentleman in the Cessnock area, so i have three years of its history that i cannot account for. I would imagine that Geoff Boyd would have destroyed all his documentation and records as it was so long ago, however if you could provide me with the details of the dealership he runs in Kurri Kurri, i would love to see if he can help as i have access to the original number plate details etc.

#18 _MY-V6-OK_

_MY-V6-OK_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

when i brought my lj it was a canary yellow .but you could see in the engine bay that the origanal paint was red.I had the car re painted due to it needed the front done due to a previous accedent and i got it sprayed golden yellow .I will look to see if i have a photo of the car when i brought it .

Edited by MY-V6-OK, 25 April 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#19 _v8musl_

_v8musl_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

How can it be 1980 when there is a VK commodore in one of the pics

#20 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

These pics are from early 80's. It was a mock up with strong 308, muncie, 2.78 diff. Before it got stolen he had fitted roll cage and drop tank. Was awesome car in its day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Am I the only one who thinks those centrecaps are absolutely awesome? lol

#22 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

hell no heath, i lov em too :spoton:

#23 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Great pics guys, i love it. You know its the 80's when everyone has driving lights, hotwire mags & really dodgy fashion :spoton:

#24 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

Here are a few I digged up. Its no hot beastie, hell its an opel powered sunbird for crying out loud. And truth be told these are from 90 or 91. The keen spotters will notice the CB aerial mount so it sort of qualifies as 80's.....

Anyway, here ya go

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the same day we found a dried up dirty old sheep skull which I wired to the front grill. It stayed there for many months and heaps of city driving..... Ah, the olden days :D

#25 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

If someone would like to post a few scanned pics of mine I will show you my old Mustard LJ GTR. :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users