BOND 24C AUTHENTICATED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#26 _torana-a9x_

_torana-a9x_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

Do you know much about the car ? Like what has it been doing since Bondy finished with it ?

A good and valid question,when i bought the car i got a heap of paper work reciepts /photos ect, and in that lot were some old vic rego papers going back to 1972 through till 1980. didnt think much of them until having a closer look, the early ones had gmh (S.P.L) salmon st ,pt melbourne, that started the search!.the car was put back to road trim(as they were worth much more as a road car than a ex racer)sold of in april 75 to gmh dealer in kyabram vic, it went to a local lad in albury/wodonga, then to his mate as i was told it( kicked the snot his mates new slr5000), so he had to have it.then to new owner in orbst after a few years, who painted it black and put a mural of the matches redhead under the bonnet, but his girlfriend kept putting it side ways and all over the place, so it was traded for a datsun sss,and the new owner (his mate)drove it to West Aus. it passed through three owners, got painted mustard along the way, before finding its first female owner who did a total resto on the car,back to glacier, (1988/1994). it was then sold to a chap in alice springs, who brought it to adelaide with him ,he had it stored for many years, and didnt do much with it,and it was in pretty bad shape mechanicly when i bought it in april 06. i did the mech side myself, its now done a trip to Sydney for the xu1 nats, and a trip to Orbost/Melb/adelaide. This is a very abridged history of the car ,i have spoken to all but 1 of the previous owners(the second owner, still looking) , hope this makes a good read. cheers daz c :D :D

i see that your rego number is RLJ972 that it seems to be of a rego number of a first reg or a 1972 sa car if it was a RUG000 it would make it a 1973 sa first reg going buy the reg number i see it was kept hear in sa as from new

#27 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

LGN347/24C you are the luckest man alive I rekon, and that torana has done some travelling, and seen a few wild days and nights what a fantastic story to sit back and read, so bloody great it has now finally landed in a pair of hands that will care and restore it to former glory, also as reading story great to see a GIRL took the time to restore it and repint it to original colours,

As for buying it, did you know what it was then at time or after buying it??

And another thing you have done very well finding all original owners

Hope to see it one day

Good Luck with the job

GTR

#28 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

Wow, i feel like i've just witnessed a piece of history.

#29 _hatcheddan_

_hatcheddan_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

Congratulations :clap: Cant wait to see it all painted up

#30 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:16 PM

could you do me one favor and dont let the car look like it does in those pics. i mean body wise not paint.

enjoy your car dude ya lucky bugger

#31 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

, the hdt cars have very distinctive modifications underneath,and other places

i was wondering what sort of mods?

um.. perhaps youd prefer to be a bit vauge...?

#32 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

to torana-a9x you obviously dont know anything about sa rego, i had those plates made up last year when i bought the car . I would have a plate reading RLJ872 but it was allredy allocated, it is a 3/8/72 build, as you can buy the rights to them. the first 10 years of the cars life was in victoria, the first 3 with hdt, then wa,then sa. daz

#33 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:36 PM

Good story, good luck with the resto!!

I heard it got very nasty for you when you advertised it for sale?
Is this true?

If it was there are a lot of tossers out there, you wouldnt beleive
the greif I got when I advertised my XU1 on ebay a couple of years back.

#34 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

, the hdt cars have very distinctive modifications underneath,and other places

i was wondering what sort of mods?

um.. perhaps youd prefer to be a bit vauge...?

the mods are panhard rod mts ,special sway bar mts, ect ect, but there will be no pics, hope you understand.cheers daz :spoton:

#35 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:28 AM

Good story, good luck with the resto!!

I heard it got very nasty for you when you advertised it for sale?
Is this true?

If it was there are a lot of tossers out there, you wouldnt beleive
the greif I got when I advertised my XU1 on ebay a couple of years back.

I remember that thread about your xu1 and all the comments!

#36 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thats the second ex Bathurst race car I have heard of in 2 months being discovered.
R

#37 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

well rory they have to be out there some where, just look at this one ,how many other race cars were put back to street spec and put back on the lot for sale to the public??

#38 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

I bet there is a lot more to the story, that A,M,C would like to hear about :D
The bowdens site as some great storys of how thay recoered some of there cars
moffets phase 4 ax is good reading . :spoton:

#39 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

well rory they have to be out there some where, just look at this one ,how many other race cars were put back to street spec and put back on the lot for sale to the public??

How about the first ever GMP&A shell for a L34..ex Bathurst that was GIVEN to a forum member to tow away?...My lips are sealed!
R

#40 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

Great find Daz!

You must be very happy.

Have you researched the extent of the rebuild after the crash ? I would image just about every panel would have had to be replaced.

You must admit it looks pretty brutal with the tow truck chain picking her up.

Cheers

L :spoton:

#41 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

What a great story with a happy ending. How good is it that one of the Legend cars
of Australian Motor Sport history is not only alive & well, but also gets driven with
true spirit instead of locked away never to be seen.Daz you have done a champion
job researching & chasing up the history of the car, you went out on a limb buying it & now it is all very much worth the effort. Congratulations mate, I can't stop
smiling when I think about it ( how must you feel). Can't wait to see it in the flesh in full war paint.
Cheers mate.

#42 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

yes but thay reshelled it

courtesy of boomarang towing lol :blink:
Posted Image

'

For Luke.
R

#43 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

Great find Daz!

You must be very happy.

Have you researched the extent of the rebuild after the crash ? I would image just about every panel would have had to be replaced.

You must admit it looks pretty brutal with the tow truck chain picking her up.

Cheers

Luke
A "RESHELL" does mean EVERY panel :fool:

#44 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

thats 100% correct, it got a brand new gmpa"prime"or "white" shell, thats the colour they were, :D daz

#45 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

LGN347/24C...
Could I enquire as to why your car was fitted with a panhard rod and special sway bar mounts if it was run in 1972?
1972 was series production and none of those modifications were permitted....
The reason I ask is not to cast a shadow over the cars authenticity(that has been confirmed by IT).. The real reason is that i would like to know which # this car ran with in 1973 and later, under group C Rules, when those modificatins were permitted?

Cheers Greg..

#46 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

hiya greg how are ya hav to catch up, did you go to the cavalcade of cars in the copper triangle?, in 72 they were true production cars almost stock,mate the group c rules were relaxed in early 73 ie carbs/ swaybars/ wheels ect ,which is when all the mods took place, the car still carried the 24c right up untill bath 73 i think. cheere daz :spoton:

#47 MR_J

MR_J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Congrats on the car Daz :spoton: I can wait to see the resto when she is all finished. Well done mate.

#48 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

Daz, are you interested in getting a group C log book for the car?
Would be FANTASTIC to see a group C HDT XU1 on the grid one day.....
as an aside...group C log book and Cof D would push the value of your asset even higher!!!
put your hand up if you are interested and I'll forward some contact #'s to you.

Cheers Greg..

#49 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

LGN347/24C...
Could I enquire as to why your car was fitted with a panhard rod and special sway bar mounts if it was run in 1972?
1972 was series production and none of those modifications were permitted....
The reason I ask is not to cast a shadow over the cars authenticity(that has been confirmed by IT).. The real reason is that i would like to know which # this car ran with in 1973 and later, under group C Rules, when those modificatins were permitted?

Cheers Greg..

Great question !!!!! :clap:

#50 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

Maybe thats why IT was having a look........ for the CofD ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users