Commodore LSD Diff's

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _77LXKID_

_77LXKID_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

im leaning towards putting a commodore LSD but i know very little about differentials, can you guys help me out with what to pick and if at all any compatable diffs. also a bit of a strech but ive read the guide on the r31 skyline diff transplant but i would like to know more about how to transplant other diffs in more detail if possible. loads of help if you can and if not thanx anyway.

thanx to all of you at the forums. BRAD.

#2 benno81

benno81

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

gday the last diff i did for my old man got an lsd vn diff (borg warner) shortened it up to suit fitted all mounts from the banjo got the axles shortened,put a rebuild kit in it just have to watch when re welding flanges on that u dont get it to hot,all up cost incl diff was 500.the axles were the dearest to get shortened and resplined that has been behind a 400hp 308 for 2 yrs now no problems.
and the tailshaft was made to suit 3 inch from memory,200 for that

#3 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

...just have to watch when re welding flanges on...

The dude that did mine cut a section of axle tube out of the middle and sleeved them when rewelding. Saves cutting and welding flanges.

#4 _77LXKID_

_77LXKID_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

does anybony know somebody that can do a diff conversion in south australia?

#5 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Try "Rod Tech" Hamstead Rd.

That's all I know of, but I personally can not vouch for them.

#6 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

The dude that did mine cut a section of axle tube out of the middle and sleeved them when rewelding. Saves cutting and welding flanges.

Sorry, I dont get your drift. Axle tube? sleeved ? how does it save? :blink:
I assume Benno had flanges rewelded to keep the Torana stud pattern and hub on a VN axle.

#7 benno81

benno81

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

yeah thats correct mate and if it was cut half way wouldnt u have a weld half way where it was joined
doesnt seem right to me mate

#8 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

Sorry, I dont get your drift. Axle tube? sleeved ? how does it save? :blink:
I assume Benno had flanges rewelded to keep the Torana stud pattern and hub on a VN axle.

Sorry, I also dont get YOUR drift. So how does just re-welding the flanges allow you to put Torana wheels on a VN stud pattern axel ?

would it not have to be a Torana axel as well, or you would need to modify the stud pattern on the VN axel to suit Torana wheels ?

MT

#9 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

Sorry, I also dont get YOUR drift. So how does just re-welding the flanges allow you to put Torana wheels on a VN stud pattern axel ?

would it not have to be a Torana axel as well, or you would need to modify the stud pattern on the VN axel to suit Torana wheels ?

MT

The axle tube is part of the diff housing which the axle runs inside of. The axle would still need to be resplined & have the stud pattern altered to suit Torana wheels.
Warren

#10 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

Waren is on to it!
My diff still runs all Commode parts (incl. shortened axles, bearings, flanges) but has axles redrilled to suit Tory pattern.
Obviously I didn't explain myself properly. Any other questions?
What flanges were you talking about, Benno? Axle or axle tube?

#11 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Surley no one welds axels do they ? for sure they would be talking about diff housing (tube) flanges.

thanks guys :D ,my point was, ol mate is obviously a bit confused or not explaining things correctly by suggesting a torana rim will bolt up to the VN stud pattern axel without more mods (ie more than only re-welding flanges)

MT

#12 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

i've got a VN ute diff in my car, diff technics did it for me, they did a neat job the only thing i'm not completely happy about is the pitch of the diff centre. if i have two people in the car and really give it a hard time the diff hits the tunnel right where the tailshaft joins, i am going to put new springs in to try and stiffen the back end up to rectify the problem.
back o topic though i haven't killed mine and my old man uses the same set up (shortened borgy) in his cobra and we haven't killed that either.

ps. to save a little money the short commodore axel can be used as you long axel after the diff is shortened then you only have to modify one axel.

#13 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

i've got a VN ute diff in my car, diff technics did it for me, they did a neat job the only thing i'm not completely happy about is the pitch of the diff centre. if i have two people in the car and really give it a hard time the diff hits the tunnel right where the tailshaft joins, i am going to put new springs in to try and stiffen the back end up to rectify the problem.

If you can, get some adjustable upper trailing arms so you can roll the diff forward.

#14 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

If you can, get some adjustable upper trailing arms so you can roll the diff forward.

i was wondering if someone did that sort of thing. do you know anyone?

#15 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=35870

Check out that thread. Not sure about LC/J ones but that should point you in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users