Photo

25 painted as 05 in the UK

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#26 _scalpa1_

_scalpa1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

i am led to believe if you have a look at the stone chips on the car at the museum and the big pic of the car on the wall around the jacking point you might alledgelly find a clue to the answer! As for the magic mirror it is the same mirror he ran on the 83 vh. you also have to remember that when in england they would/could/should of just been able to replace the doors and mirrors with any opel record or senator parts as the stampings are the same. I really cant imagine john cleland not rubbing panels at all when he raced the car.

#27 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

I don't have much faith in stone-chips given that the cars did two races after Bathurst. VK-style mirrors were also available on Opels. There must be a definitive answer that can be proven................ :blink: :blink:

#28 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

There a lot of Pics on The P.C Car in Australian Muscle Cars Mag Story they did on P.C 05 Brock car Issue 18
It says in there about the chassis Numbers on the two HDT Group C VK's
HDT COMM6
HDT COMM7
It says HDT COMM7 is Brocky 05 HDT Car,and thats the one P.C Owns now.
Why is the one at the Bathurst Museum Painted up as a 05 HDT VK Car and not as No.25 Car,as it should be

#29 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

Alan,
Depends if HDT COMM 06 is in Rockhampton or in Bathurst I would suspect...Just a wild stab in the dark here I might add. As far as mirrors..I have changed mirrors on HDT No.1 3 times..about 5 minutes and a screwdriver so you guys have lost me on that one.
R

Edited by rorym, 24 May 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#30 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

Alan,
Depends if HDT COMM 06 is in Rockhampton or in Bathurst I would suspect...Just a wild stab in the dark here I might add. As far as mirrors..I have changed mirrors on HDT No.1 3 times..about 5 minutes and a screwdriver so you guys have lost me on that one.
R

I will Ring Scully&Mulder up to Solve that Case :spoton:
So its not Just the GMH V8 XU-1's that are in the X Files as well

#31 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

There a lot of Pics on The P.C Car in Australian Muscle Cars Mag Story they did on P.C 05 Brock car Issue 18
HDT COMM6
HDT COMM7
Why is the one at the Bathurst Museum Painted up as a 05 HDT VK Car and not as No.25 Car,as it should be

My understanding is that AMC mag didn't establish which chassis number won Bathurst. They just reported the chassis number on PC's car. Hardly proof of who has the real 05.

#32 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

Monza1
Who knows then,Looks like there is Two HDT 05 VK's then,and No HDT VK No.25 Car
Glad the VK Lovers have a Mystery,and not just the V8 XU-1's,what other Holdens have a Mystery Story on them.
The only thing i Like about Ford is they are alot more open on there Secret Squirrel stuff,like the XA GTHO Phase 4's.

#33 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

The only thing i Like about Ford is they are alot more open on there Secret Squirrel stuff,like the XA GTHO Phase 4's.

Are you serious !!
What about the carry on between Bowden etc. over which Phase 4 was the Moffat car & which was the Gibson car.
It went on for so many pages in the Aust. Muscle Car magazine, I bet nobody actually got to the end without falling asleep.

Dr Terry.

#34 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

You would think that the original would have been kept as like the 79 A9X, no resto, as it came from the track.

#35 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Are you serious !!
What about the carry on between Bowden etc. over which Phase 4 was the Moffat car & which was the Gibson car.
It went on for so many pages in the Aust. Muscle Car magazine, I bet nobody actually got to the end without falling asleep.

Dr Terry.

Im talking about the Wheels August 1972 Article and Howard Marsden talking about the Phase 4 and the Superford Article on the Phase 4.
At Least Ford wasent secret squirrel with the Phase 4,and H.M chatted about them in 1972 to Wheels Magazine where was Holden story on the V8 LJ XU-1 to Wheels Magazine in 1972.

#36 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

HDT COMM6
HDT COMM7

Allan, I think you need to read AMC again, at no point did AMC say which car was which, they delberately said 2 cars were built, chassis 6 and 7, one was in the Bathurst museum, one in PC's museum. Brock was still alive at the time and he read it as that the real car was in bathurst (which the article did not say) which lead him to send a rather nasty letter to AMC, which was printed in the letter section (part of it anyway I have the full version) stating that PC had the real car. Niether car has a log book, they were destroyed long ago. No one can absolutelysay which car is which, but there is a lot more evidence to show the Bathurst car is 05, the fact it is in it's original paint is a big one for starters, sure they could bolt on panels and doors, but look at the roof.

#37 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Allan, I think you need to read AMC again, at no point did AMC say which car was which, they delberately said 2 cars were built, chassis 6 and 7, one was in the Bathurst museum, one in PC's museum. Brock was still alive at the time and he read it as that the real car was in bathurst (which the article did not say) which lead him to send a rather nasty letter to AMC, which was printed in the letter section (part of it anyway I have the full version) stating that PC had the real car. Niether car has a log book, they were destroyed long ago. No one can absolutelysay which car is which, but there is a lot more evidence to show the Bathurst car is 05, the fact it is in it's original paint is a big one for starters, sure they could bolt on panels and doors, but look at the roof.

It says HDTCOMM7 is P.C Car
Please Read the A.M.C Mag story it says in there on page 52 that the Car in there Studio Shoot is HDTCOMM7

#38 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Well one of them has been Painted cause one would of been the No.25 Car,SOMEONE MUST KNOW SOME WHERE

#39 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

I will read it again, but I think you will find it does not say at any point 05 is owned by PC.
One of them is painted, the car PC owns is restored, the car at Bathurst is as last raced.

#40 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

Gee you bloke carry on..................
They are race cars.
They get body damage...
They are painted..
Panels are replaced..
Door mirrors are wiped out regularly...
There would have been at least 2 more races after Bathurst that the cars were used for that year... changes would have been made.
How about this for a theory........ P.Brock was telling the truth?
Nah.... I didn't think you'se would like that one... :blahblahblah:

#41 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

It says John Farrell from W.A was the owner of HDTCOMM7 then he sold it and went to UK in 1985 and John Cleland raced it.
Then Willy Van Wersch tracked it down and shipped it back to OZ,and he Sold it to Peter Champion later on,thats the History on HDTCOMM7 told in A.M.C Mag on HDTCOMM7.
And if P.C car is 05,why hasent the Bathurst Musuem painted there car to be No.25 HDT VK if its ment to be No.25,the way it is in the Bathurst Museum it looks like its 05 HDT VK,what does the Bathurst Museum say there car is 05 or 25 ??????????

#42 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Allan, I don't think you are reading the whole situation too well here, the car at Bathurst was donated to the museum by Holden as 05, simple as that, as far as they are concerned, they have 05. Why would they paint the car as 25, especially when you consider in say the next 12 months the truth could come out and they do in fact have 05, wouldn't you rather keep the car in as last raced condition? It's never been repainted or restored, it's as last raced. I think the truth will come out soon anyway because there are some dodgy charactors in the old race car scene that are currently under investigation. I seem to remember one of the names mentioned in this thread being investigated racing a car in Group C that was not as advertised, and he has been the source for other group C cars, including another in PC's collection thats not as advertised. Don't think for a minute that because a car after the fact is represented as something that makes it true. Don't rely on Brocks word, his letter was no proof, what did he base it on? Memory? the guy only walked in the workshop for the publicity shots when the cars were being built.

#43 _scalpa1_

_scalpa1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

red i think you forgot the word allegedly! a few times in that paragraph. It is like the myth about the moffat mustang that it got damaged in a race and the roll cage needed repair and it couldnt be done here so it was sent bake to kar kraft to fix, the car returned all fixed like new, but there was and still is a boss mustang at Kar kraft witha damaged rhs rol cage? allegedly. Another example is the vb commodore that rowan harmon has he has restored that back to the vb specs that it first raced like as 05 but it went thru that many changes that made it all the way to a vk/vl group a!! he origanilly thought it was the 1980 bathurst winner but it has since been alleged to have been harveys car and the bathurst winner lost somewhere in the northern territotory so for its cod i believe he has returned it to the atcc car. IF you get a chance to see it check out sum of the investigations that rowan has done. Getting back to the VK remember that Pc's was putting a lot of money into the brock museum so pbs word cannot be denied now he is gone so we have to take his word that its the car. But to be honest its all seems a bit convenoint to me try asking larry if its the real 05 i bet he will say no comment!

#44 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Surly there must be some other differences in the cars other then mirrors, the cars were not that identical were they? Does anyone know of any other differences between the cars, say seat location pedal setup dash colour, I might be able to swing by PCs and check out any details and get pictures if we KNOW FOR A FACT which car had what detail difference
(wanders off to get spy camera ready)

#45 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

This has been fascinating reading. So many thoughts and oppinions. But I would have to say that if you look at the original photo you couldn't tell me that you wouldn't give your left nut to be there to ride in either car, be it 05 or 25. Damn straight.

#46 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:38 PM

wonder what ever happened to the log books ? , cams should have what they call "the first application" paperwork , this is the first point of call before a log book is issued !! , the chassis number would be on this paperwork ...

#47 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

This has been fascinating reading. So many thoughts and oppinions. But I would have to say that if you look at the original photo you couldn't tell me that you wouldn't give your left nut to be there to ride in either car, be it 05 or 25. Damn straight.

I think you are right with what you say above eyepeeler, the museum is set up for the public and enthusiasts alike.
I would guess the general public are happy to see a race car there and many would be blissfully ignorant of what car had what mirrors etc. I for one certainly could not tell you if either car was the correct one but am happy to see them displayed regardless.

When 'rubbing' takes place mirrors are generally prone to being broken anyway.

Cheers
Herne

#48 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Allan, I don't think you are reading the whole situation too well here, the car at Bathurst was donated to the museum by Holden as 05, simple as that, as far as they are concerned, they have 05. Why would they paint the car as 25, especially when you consider in say the next 12 months the truth could come out and they do in fact have 05, wouldn't you rather keep the car in as last raced condition? It's never been repainted or restored, it's as last raced. I think the truth will come out soon anyway because there are some dodgy charactors in the old race car scene that are currently under investigation. I seem to remember one of the names mentioned in this thread being investigated racing a car in Group C that was not as advertised, and he has been the source for other group C cars, including another in PC's collection thats not as advertised. Don't think for a minute that because a car after the fact is represented as something that makes it true. Don't rely on Brocks word, his letter was no proof, what did he base it on? Memory? the guy only walked in the workshop for the publicity shots when the cars were being built.

Thanks REDA9X
It is a X-Files Case for sure,we have two 05 VK HDT Cars,and only one can be the 05 Car.
You would think C.A.M.S would have some info on the cars from there records to know which cars is which.

#49 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

It says HDTCOMM7 is P.C Car
Please Read the A.M.C Mag story it says in there on page 52 that the Car in there Studio Shoot is HDTCOMM7

You are right, it does say chassis 7 is the car PC owns, but it DOES NOT say chassis 7 is 05.

#50 _scalpa1_

_scalpa1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

a lot of cams records where lost in a fire years ago. so they cant answer that question. It al comes down to money really a orig brock driven bathurst winning 05 is worth a lot more than another vk group c be it harveys or grices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users